Reviews of Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Edward 4 stars

149 OR Tambo Parade, North Beach, 4001 Durban, South Africa

#29 of 54 hotels in Durban

• Family Room

As from the many negative comments already posted in Protea Hotel's reviews, the HIGH daily rate does NOT include breakfast and should be included at the rate you charge! You need to advise this at the time of booking. We also stayed at the Blue Water Hotel just down the road and paid just less than we did at PH and it included breakfast. At PH, breakfast is an extra charge of R195 p/p, it came to an extra R1170.00 for 3 of us and it is an add on to the daily rate. The staff, especially Zama and Pamela were very friendly and helpful.

Room was comfortable and large enough for a family of 3.

• Standard Room

Room was tiny. Air conditioning did not work properly. The bath did not work so we could only shower. The shower flooded the bathroom floor. The room was excessively noisy on the weekend due to the location next to the play area at the beach front.

• Standard Room

Standard has dropped. Information from reception not enough as compared to my previous visit.Keys to the rooms that needs to be programmed at times...it will be nice to be informed that it does happen.

Yes croissants were fluffy and bed was comfortable although there was a day bed was not changed and fridge was hot. Our water and cold drinks were hot.Maintanance came and said" the vents are covered by tray,i suggest it can help if there is a note DO COVER THE VENTS ON THE CUPBOARD

• Superior King Room with Sea View

The restaurant staff were shocking. Plates never got cleared from 7 tables after the diners left the restaurant. After being shown to my table, had to wait 10minites for a waiter to bring a wine list. No management in the restaurant and the food on the buffet was dry and very mediocre. Housekeeping was very average. Toilet paper nor replaced, nor coffee, tea and milk. The hotel could be so much better

Beds were comfortable. James (HR manager) very friendly and helpful

• Superior King Room with Sea View

the hotel needs to be upgraded, furniture and bathrooms could do with some face lift. the carpet needs to be changed. we opted to park in front of hotel as we were not comfortable with the hotel taking the car to go park it somewhere, and was told we could not get the parking fee for that night. This information should be shared beforehand,

• Standard Room

Almost everything when I booked I told zinhle it waS my bday on the 27th and she said she will arrange something special. The tap in 519 leaked so badly when we opened it ,the cupboards doors could nt open the fridge was giving hot air I was charged on line 5000 for 3 ,nights which wprked out to 1600 plus when I changed to 2 nights due to husband nt geting of work early I was charged 1818 did nt even nw this waS exc break fast. In room service was just so bad I ordered a fruit salad the first time all I got was melon geapes n half a granadilla which took over 2 hours to be delivered I left Same scenario on sat I was nt well I ordered again a fruit salad I explained please there was just three diff fruit the previous night can they add a bit more diff types of fruit I waited for almost 3 hours bearing in mind I called almost uncountable times n everyone I spoke to was a diff person .eventually I gt hold of duduzile n he apoligised n said the chef would call me wich never happened anyway my sandwhich n so call fruit salad was delivered abt half 7 and this time all it had was half nectarine half kiwi and melon Very dissapointed On saturday some guy damaged the roof of our bmw as the police said he was a crazy guy so we needed parking all the hotel staff told us there was no parking nt even trying to assist us until we said we did nt have an alarm they then decided to arrange a parking I mean really this was really bad But thk u for asking oh I buy the way I would really like to thk bobby n fabian for there service/assistance they were extremerley helpful when thus happened to our car

O

• Standard Room

Need a upgrade!!, For R1100, B&B'are better. Small bed, not a double. NO could water in bathroom. Had to fill the bath a bit the night before to have cold water the next morning. WiFi was less then 1MB ps, so very slow. Aircon very noisy. Felt like a Motel, not a Hotel

• Superior King Room with Sea View

Booking.com did not specify that our booking excludes breakfast and we left without having breakfast because we had to pay R195 more per person. If we knew we would have looked for a cheaper place.

• Superior King Room with Sea View

We didn’t feel safe in the area at all. It’s been many years since I was last in Durban and it’s gone backwards very badly. We couldn’t walk anywhere for 2min without being accosted by homelessness and people begging - to the point of harassment. We understand unemployment is a big issue in South Africa and never more obvious than in Durban. It was dirty, people suffer and we felt unsafe going anywhere. We won’t return to Durban. There is nothing that would attract us to go there again. We were too scared to use the beaches.

The hotel was nice, the location was what we wanted: on the beach and close to explore Durban proper. All was as expected from the hotel information. It’s and old hotel but well maintained.

• Standard Room

That I have to call somewhere for a prokard, I wish the hotel could have organised it for us.

Bed was comfy, whenever we requested our car we found it ready, the staff was always smiling and ready to assist, the food was really delicious and we love the fact that it was a buffet so we had a lot to choose from

• Standard Room

Language barriers. Zulu and English understandably being the main languages of Durban but a bit of variety could go a long way..

The friendly reception ladies were keen to help out however best they could and made the processes and eventual experience worthwhile. Thanks again..

• Executive Twin Room

On the 1st night we slept with an unlocked door as both the door latch and lock were not working. We were asked to move during the night when we had already unpacked our stuff and in bed -which we refused. However, thank God nothing happened during the night and on our way back to the room the following day we received a fruit bouquet and an apology note for the inconvenience.

The scenery from our room was excellent, breakfast very good.

• Standard Room

The quality and variety of food available on the buffet on the night I had dinner was certainly far below expectation particularly in light of the rather steep price.

• Standard Room

Hotel workers are very friendly to any one cause if you ask for something they attend immediately.

Treatment,clean rooms and is situated next to the beach.

• Superior King Room with Sea View

they rang my door bell to early in the morning everyday and i came to relax not to be woken up early in the morning

the view,friendly staff,the upper pool

• Standard Room

The restaurant was not very welcoming and the menu was rather small. Otherwise the staff did their best to make our visit great.

The room was a good size and had everything we needed. The balcony was spacious and overlooked the sea which was fantastic. The rooftop pool was stunning, and definitely not many used it so it was really quiet.

• Standard Room

Apart from dated appearance - all goof.

Property needs a revamp in near future if it whish to stay on par as far as modern and trendy hotels are concerned.

• Deluxe Suite with Sea View

Being a Marriott hotel, this should be top notch in standard, its not. Although the architecture tried to match colonial times, to the trained eye, it fell over numerous times. The finishes did not match the images on Booking.com website, a coin rolled from a stand still position along the stone floor, the stone floor was cracked, the bathroom wasn't designed properly plus finishes were not of a Marriott standard. The A/C was perpetually on and noisy. This hotel requires a major overhaul.

Apart from the location and the friendly staff - nothing, to the point we checked out and found something we liked.

• Standard Room

The food payment. I constantly had to go to reception and assure the receptionist that payment had been made.

The bed was comfy. it was big enough for me daughter and myself.

• Superior King Room with Sea View

Parking of my car for the fee standing outside in the rain

The room was clean and neat everyday. The staff was friendly and tried to accommodate me in every way.

• Standard Room

Breakfast being excluded in the package. A discounted breakfast rate for families instead of charging per person would be appreciated in future.

The bed was very comfortable.

• Standard Room

Small pool... All staff were not friendly. Bedding had to be changed on request, bedding had marks when we arrived.

Location was perfect. Welcoming staff but a little slow with check in. Informative when it came to information sharing.

• Standard Room

The entrance facing at the park must be taken in consideration it was not in good conditions.

The staff is friendly and the cleanliness of the place.The places also eco friendly.Near the beach you take 2 min.

• Superior King Room with Sea View

The room was tired and was in desperate need of refurbishment.

We loved the location and the connection to the tourist areas across the road. We also liked the art deco decore that was maintained in the dining/lounge areas.

• Standard Room

My room was facing the beach, and the noise that was coming from the beach areas, that i was not happy about.

I was happy with the room and the facilities and the service i got from the restaurant and reception during my entire stay

• Standard Room

Our room window was above the dustbins and our aircon did not work so when we opened the window the dustbin smell came through and the staff would sort all the rubbish out early in the morning making a noise as they threw the glass bottles in the drums. Bathroom was not that clean (hair on basin) and water bottles were not sealed. Having just stayed at the Boardwalk in PE also sun international, their water bottles were sealed

The staff were very friendly and the parking was great the valet service fantastic and the common areas were clean and tidy. I loved the furniture, decor and paintings/ pictures around the hotel.

• Standard Room

My room wasn't thoroughly cleaned and had to complain. There was sand in the room and the balcony not cleaned.

The service from the staff is always excellent

• Superior King Room with Sea View

The bedroom and bathroom need updating, especially the carpets, air conditioner and bathroom fixtures.

The hotel is conveniently located by the beachfront

• Standard Room

We waited for almost an hour for our food at the restaurant. Because of the bad service at the restaurant my husband and I decided to order room service that also took long. When we got there I didn’t like the room we got simply because the carpet was dirty and smelly. The lady at reception told me that is how the standard room is, smelly? We were moved to another bigger room, it was bigger but that damp smell was there too. Will definitely not stay there anymore. I couldn’t cancel and was told to do it through booking.com and will not get any refund. Really upsetting. I had this itchy feel my whole stay there. So we were stuck there.

• Standard Room

1. The bedding (sheets) were torn and not fresh. Pillows had a smell to it from the previous people. Advised staff however nothing was done about it. 2. Bathroom not clean 3. Old towels and when asked to supply towels, never got it. 4. Receptionist not welcoming 5. Extra supply of coffee, sugar and milk requested, never got it. 6. Wrong room given

The waiters and waitress, Lethu, Kopano and Pamela were awesome, very helpful and on the ball. If it was not for their exceptional customer services, we would have been gone the minute we entered.

• Superior King Room with Sea View

The carpet can be a problem especially if u are prone to sinus infection I think more could be done in that are to improve. but all in all it was ohk.

It's excellent if u taking your kids there is a fun area across the street with a lot of rides and fun things to do.

on my 2nd day till i leave the wifi was not operating, properly

stuff members together with cleaners they are super friendly.i arrived 8hrs earlier and the receptionist welcomed me warmly and send me straight to my hotel room.

• Standard Room

Staff were incompetent and hotel seemed under staffed. The room was not clean and had a dirty shower curtain that sticks to you in the shower. Yuk

There was a balcony and fridge in the room

• Family Room

The executive room we stayed in on day 1. The friendly staff who were always available to assist with transportation and alerting me of bring careful around the beach. My son got sick whilSt we were there, they gave us support throughout. I will Forever be grateful for their UBUNTU

Accommodation to at least include

Beds were comfortable. I hatted the part that accommodation did not included breakfast because I booked beforehand it will be extra money to be paid

• Standard Room

1. We had an incident where the bar tender assigned fictitious charges to our room number. 2. For such a premium hotel, we expected a full Dstv bouquet to be available and there was non. 3. The refrigerator in the room was not cold or cool at all. 4. The aircon was not working properly. It was too hot in the room and the aircon was useless.

The location of the hotel and cleaniness.

• Standard Room

lack of modern/up-to-date business centre requirements

Super friendly and accommodating staff. Hotel is located in a poor area and doesn't have modern/up-to-date business centre requirements

• Standard Room

Rooms were disdusting. Used condom rappers in the waredrobe. I told receiption and they advised me they would clean it. I returned two hours later and nothing had been done. Location of my room 217 was next to staff quarters and next to a busy road. Very loud and zero peace to be had. I checked out a day early at my own expense after been told I could get a refund on the second night. The manager had minimal customer service and didn’t seem to bothered about my complaints. It’s almost one week and I still haven’t heard from them.

Leaving in all seriously.

• Family Room

it was a little noisy at night as people were still hanging around and taxis were playing music really loud at night.

the food is amazing, staff very helpful

• Standard Room

I stayed for three days with only two toilet tissues been provided. When I asked the lady who was cleaning and she said the Supervisor will bring them. I had to go and buy two toilet tissus.

Check in was an excellent experience. Ledile was so friendly and helpfully.

• Family Room

We asked for an iron on a first day and it was not brought to us. We asked for someone to come and clean the bathroom for us and nobody came. We did not like the showers because it does not have the full door and when you shower the water splashes out on the floor and when you come out of the shower you have to step on the wet floor.

It was comfortable, clean and welcoming with good view to the beach.

• Standard Room

They told us they wanted to clean the room before we even left because there was another person coming shortly it wasn't even time to check out yet

The staff was so helpful and the room was perfect

• Standard Room

I was disappointed that I had to pay extra 250 per day / night for a room with a sea view. actually it was not properly explained to me while doing the booking. Maybe they should have said that information in the quotation. However it was a walking distance to the beach, I have really enjoyed.

Thank you for the full English breakfast and at a very discounted price. Myself and partner really had it all. House keeping was done very well and every time I needed ice it was delivered timeously.

• Superior King Room with Sea View

Parking procedure and the check in procedure. I booked via booking.com and my fee was secured. I was 30 rand short because of parking fee, I requested if o could settle later in the day, as I had no cash on me. The request was declined and was made to walk around outside to find an atm. I couldn't find one. I had to go look for money in my car, which was far away. We are not allowed to park in the hotel parking until you pay first. Most difficult check I ever experienced. I dnt blame staff.

View

See above

Truly speaking I didn't enjoy staying at the hotel. How on earth should I pay separately for breakfast? It should be included on the amount that I pay. I came there under the impression that our breakfast is already paid for only to be told at the counter I should pay extra for breakfast. I don't think I will recommend you to my friends looking for accommodation in Durban.

• Standard Room

Our room was leaking from the aircon and the aircon could not blow hot air the TVchannels are limited , our room did not have micro oven to warm our food water bottles served in the room was only 1 please make them 2at least

Sea view and watching people swimming in the morning at the sea --welcome drink

• Family Room

what i didn't like about protea hotel are the following: 1. it was windy on saturday night, i called reception to assist on closing the window which was left open by cleaners. they did not bother themsleve by coming. we slept on freezy night and kids caught by flu due to poor service we received. 2. day when i made the reservation i was told that payment i made it include break fast. on my surprise when we book out on sunday the 15 October 2017, i was told i owe R 780.00 for break fast. i did not received the value of money from the service expecting. i have used protea hotel around gauteng and witbank for business purpose, they are the best. that is the reason why i choose protea hotel Durban checking the service i received was very very uncalled for my contact number 072 117 8082

• Standard Room

The initial room that was allocated to me. Very small and uncomfortable with no view although I requested full sea view when I did my booking

The view from the room

When i booked it showed that breakfast was included, but on my arrival i was told it wasn't. Though my bedding was snow white, the duvet inner was so uncomfortable. I am sure i left my t-shirt in the room as it was wet but house keeping couldn't locate it.

The beach

• Standard Room

The fact that I was only there for 1 night and I did not get a chance to say thank you to the two young gentlemen that checked me in. They were gone by the time I went for breakfast.

It was a warm welcoming from the two very pleasant and courteous staff named: Thabane and Thando The room was extra special and my kind of luxury stay

• Superior King Room with Sea View

The look and feel of the place was not appealing. Much more can be done to give it a face uplift. The rooms were quite small too.

I love the proximity to the beach and everything really. Shaka Marine was around the corner, Florida street 5 minutes away and Moses Mabhida 10min away. Allowed us to actually do quite a bit in a short space of time.

• Standard Room

The outside parking, it was difficult to access the car anytime you wanted. But the drivers were always available to bring the car on request and waiting time depended on how many people wanted their cars at that time.

Staff was very helpful

• Junior Suite with Sea View

Service at reception was slow

The location is on the golden mile beach. It is so nice to wake up to that view and Durban Beachfront. The hotel has a colonial style and has a bit of old world quality to it. This is my top preference for business in Durban at the moment.

• Standard Room

The parking space is too limited and also giving the potters your vehicle key to park your vehicle is a big gamble because you don't know where your vehicle is parked and you are not sure whether your vehicle is safely parked or not.

The staff was amazing i didn't have to struggle to get assistance on my arrival. The hotel itself was amazing and its closeness to the beach and the cbd made everything easy as one did not have to drive to town or to the beach.

• Standard Room

The housekeepers were not so good, my bed was made with a dirty sheet and the bed was not properly made (had food and other things that I had ate on the bed, the housekeepers did not toss and shake the bedsheets and they were full of crumbs) the bath tub was left dirty even after housekeeping had cleaned the room.

I liked my stay, the staff was friendly.

• Family Room

We had a wonderful stay since Friday till Sunday.Just I was a bit disappointed as on my request I specifically stated that it was my sons birth day on Sunday and it would have been nice for his to get birth day wished from the hotel staff or something.again on Saturday they had an audition at 3rd floor and it was hectic trying to use the elevator.

• Superior King Room with Sea View

The bathroom old-fashion The unfreshness of the rooms The buffet is over priced for food that doesn't taste nice When I got to the hotel to check in late at night, they had one room reserved instead of two, they made me wait very long to sort this problem out and didn't take responsibility in making the error or to even apologise.

the location and sea view Porters who were friendly

• Superior King Room with Sea View

Service from check in onwards was shocking. Took an hour for someone to bring towels to the room as there weren't any when we arrived. There was a rusty hole in the bath. Paid parking was a disaster.

• Superior King Room with Sea View

Nondlo the lady at the reception kept on telling us that the place is fully booked, but we got booking easily through booking . Com . They did not have change , they said they would bring it to our room , but we had to ask for it when we left after 2 days . They showed us were to park but later on they called us from our room to move car at night

Location is good.

• Superior King Room with Sea View

The level of noise of the other visitor next to my room. They were too many for one room. The hotel should be vigilant of such.

The room was comfortable, the staff were awesome

• Standard Room

The beach, my fiance' and her sister were harassed off the beach by a group of young men that at one point grabbed and touched my fiance'. I will never return to this hotel again it is unsafe for women.

The hotel was very nice.

• Family Room

Carpets dirty and bath tub stained. Figure discrepancy between booking.com and what the hotel needed. But ended up sorted by the hotel staff

• Standard Room

Room switched without any explaination ,I booked a room overlooking the Beach but was just offered any available room apparently because l checked in late so the room was offered to others

• Standard Room

The service was great, facilities, valet service and the decor - feel, food was great. We had a lovely time there, everyone makes you feel welcome and people literally moved the earth to accommodate us..

• Standard Room

The property should not tell us that we must tell them when we will be checking in early, because there is nothing they can do for you. what is the point then? Also, after my first night there I was checked out (by mistake, I was assured) of my room. this I only found out when I tried to enter the room and the key wouldn't work. And the password for the Wi-Fi never worked. I could not connect.

It was value for money.

• Standard Room

Tiling on passages, carpets and aircons/heaterin rooms not mordernised...leaves a cold feeling. Ala carte food not well prepared and presented.

Reception, cortege service, and car guard outside (parking). Beach proximity.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Standard Room

The hygiene in the rooms was non existent. There was used condoms in the rooms the carpets were dusty we all ended up with a sore throat. The rooms were not cleaned only the beds were prepared. The food at the restaurant was freezing cold and they warmed it in the microwave even with the salads but it is supposedly 4 star. Nothing 4 star about it.

Nothing was good it was very dirty

• Superior King Room with Sea View

It is an older hotel so it is quite noisy in that you do hear the shower running in the room next door or above etc, but as long as you accept it's shortcomings, it's a great place to stay with friendly staff and good facilities.

• Executive Twin Room

Reception staff surly and not at all welcoming. When we were settling the bill at the end of our stay the receptionist was extremely rude and started dealing with another guest in the middle of proceedings. On our second night the air conditioning stopped working. Restaurant staff friendly but very slow.

Great location - near beach and an easy taxi ride to decent restaurants. Housekeeping staff delightful.

• Superior King Room with Sea View

The bathrooms weren't really clean. They didn't have that fresh, clean detergent smell that you watch when you walk into a cleaned bathroom. There was an issue with processing the payment on my card that had done the booking, as they needed the cvv number which I provided in order to complete the booking. My Partner was fuming as this kept going back and forth, as he's someone in hospitality himself. The Manager on duty apparently quietly resolved the issue seamlessly and even upgraded the room for the inconvenience. That was a clear example of a good leader. Thank You

The omelette

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Superior King Room with Sea View

It can be a bit noisy, as there are some tourist attractions and public pools right in front of the hotel. Water in the pool could be warmer. Like this, the pool is not really usable, because it is also pretty windy in the afternoon. We ordered once from room service and they were slow, but the drinks were fine. They should fix some small, minor problems like some cracks in the bathtub, broken balcony door handle, bath door hard to close

Great ocean view from the balcony! I didn't see many other hotels with ocean-view balconies. Great view from the swimming pool to the west. A shopping mall is very close. Staff are very friendly, tried to sell us some extras, but backed quickly when we showed that we are not interested.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

• Standard Room

1) The booking did not include breakfast. Other bookings I have used include bed and breakfast. 2) I had to call in for bath towels and waited for long before someone came with bath towels. 3) The person who parked our car at the Pick' pay packing lot the day we arrived came back with a story that there was something wrong with my car and was offering to fix the car despite my husband telling him that the service provider would look at the car. The car was making a loud noise on the right wheel and we suspect that the attendant put something on the wheel so that they could make money by offering to fix when there was nothing wrong with the car. We went through so much hustle the following trying to get the car fixed and only when driving to the garage, what ever was on the wheel must have fallen off and the noise was never heard again. We drove to Joburg and the car did not have any trouble. There is definitely something going on with your parking attendants. Why, because was he offering us mechanic to fix the car.

The view was ok and that we did not have to travel to get to the beach.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

• Superior King Room with Sea View

Check-in only at 14:45. Reception and Housekeeping poor. Dirty towels and bathroom not very clean. Housekeeping not answering their phone. Service poor. Gala dinner - welcoming drinks a disaster. Instead of sherry, juice and water, sparkling wine was served at room temperature. Food tasty but salmon was served at room temperature and the main course cold. Overall a dissapointing stay. Housekeeping started ringing the doorbell from 08:15 to clean the room. Understaffed hotel.

Still a nice building. Porters, Valet service and parking very good and staff helpful and friendly. Mail staff friendly and efficient.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Family Room

1. My room was changed from the family room I booked - without any communication to me, so, my one child had to stay with friends. 2. The selector(tap) on bath was broken, so we couldn't use the bath......and was fixed only the next morning. 3. The drain of the Vanity was blocked - water was standing.......and only fixed the next morning. 4. Parking on-site was issue, although I requested 2 times before arrival 5. I requested Jean at reception, after check in and all above issues, to have the Hotel Manager contact me on Sunday, 30-4-2017.......I'm still waiting......

• Superior King Room with Sea View

Mmmm cannot think of anything.

Size of the room was great, enjoyed the balcony a lot. The view was amazing. Bed and pillows was fantastic. Location was also great close to restaurants and beaches.

Browse Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Edward traveller photo gallery