Reviews of Protea Hotel by Marriott George King George 4 stars

King George Drive, 6529 George, South Africa

#11 of 12 hotels in George

The Privacy which we had.
    • Standard Room

Breakfast should be included in the price. we had to travel to the Mall for breakfast. The shower was a mess because the water leaked from underneath and we had to clean. The airconditioner did not work properly.

The Privacy which we had. Friendliness of the staff. They were very helpful. Parking was secure. Good security at the gates and around the hotel, especially at night.

the chef at breakfast was very good and humble.

Property isn't modern.

the chef at breakfast was very good and humble...I asked for my eggs in a particular way after refusing every option she gave me and she very kindly obliged with a smile.

The gardens was absolutely beautiful and neat.
    • Standard Room

Our Suite was not propperly cleaned daily. The suite needs HIGH maintenance. The suite entrance door don't close properly and panels broken. The matrises is worn out and uncomfortable. The Suite were'nt vacumed and the coffee station not completely refilled.

The gardens was absolutely beautiful and neat. The pool well maintained, bright and clear. Our Suite walked out on the pool and garden. Everyday the cussions on the outside chairs was put out. The hotel foyer neat, clean and interior design Good.

OVERPRICED ,STODGY.
    • Standard Room

HOTEL NEEDS UPGRADING IN TERMS OF ROOMS FURNISHINGS,IT ALL LOOKS VERY DATED.THE PRICE OF THE ROOMS IS HIGH IN TERMS OF VALUE .I AM SURE BETTER ACCOM AND LESS EXPENSIVE AVAILABLE IN GEORGE.THIS HOTEL IS A RELIC OF BYGONE TIMES ,EITHER UPGRADE OR SELL IT OFF FOR RETIREMENT HOME !!

WAS CLEAN.

We left a day earlier than booked and will not return.
    • Standard Room

Air conditioner did not heat the room at all. Door handle to verandah was loose and difficult to open and close. To run hot water in the shower took a very long time to get hot and wasted a great deal of water. All of these were reported early on the second day of our stay but nothing was done. We were told that there was a problem with the shower water but did not receive any form of apology.

The position of the hotel

A little dissapointed
    • Standard Room

Our stay was spoilt by ; On arrival the staff at the desk was very glum and not cheerful at all . No complementary juice or cherry as I am used at most Protea Hotels on arrival . Nobody to assist with our luggage , as we are both over 66 years old . Our shower drain was blocked , while showering the water was running out of the bathroom into the passage , we had to put our towels on the floor to soak up the water ,we did report the problem on check out . Dinner was nice and the plates were hot , but service was very slow , the waitress did apologise for the amount of time we had to wait .Breakfast tasted nice ,but was cold and the plates cold , the coffee was a nice brew .

our room was spacious and smelled clean , The air conditioner was effective . Very convenient parking for my vehicle . security constantly patrolling the area . Easy check in and check out . Our room was ready for us at 1.00pm as we requested.

Boring.
    • Standard Room

Lights in my room were broken, missing lamp shades. Room is dated, didn't look fresh and clean. Rooms are too seperated from main facility of hotel lobby area.

Location is quiet and convenient.

All the staff was really very helpfull and friendly.
    • Standard Room

Breakfast was really expensive for children .Also I am still waiting on discount from my prokard vouchers

All the staff was really very helpfull and friendly.

Loved it!
    • Standard Room

There was no gym at this hotel, but that's a very small thing.

Loved the quiet location, and easy access to all areas of George (if you have your own car). I was also cycling and was an short quiet ride to the main roads around the town.

More than two weeks have passed since my stay and I have...
    • Standard Room

More than two weeks have passed since my stay and I have still not received my invoice for the accomodation. As this was a business trip, it is imperative that I receive this invoice. I have asked at least 5 times already.

Nice and relaxing in lovely surroundings.
    • Standard Room

Dinner service did not start till 19-00pm, 18-00pm would be much better for the older clients.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Very relaxing in lovely surroundings.

Was average stay
    • Standard Room

Room needs updating. Curtains were stained. Pillows did not smell fresh. Breakfast was not included, yet for the rate paid you would of thought it would of been.

Location is good, rooms and facilities are neat and the staff were friendly and helpful.

Nice really nice
    • Standard Room

Friendly staff; view of the mountain that was great; close to the golf course; Lots of things to do in George and surrounding area:George that's the place to go.

The staff was very friendly including the security at the gate. This hotel is my favorite stay over
    • Standard Room

The breakfast was not so good as 3 to 4 years ago. The service was slow.......

It was the best hotel bed I slept in and I have travel around the world. Big bed with sheets that where soft, you can smell the cleanness. The cushions where very comfortable and the next morning I could feel I had a good nights rest.

Our weekend at Protea hotel King George
    • Standard Room

Breakfast was good accept 1 or 2 things...the beef sausage had a sour taste, beacon cld have been prepared a different way but otherwise it was good. Our supper was very disappointing. Both meals were returned and the second meal was just as disappointing as the 1st meal

I like almost everything about the venue.

We enjoyed our stay very much and shall definitely go back.
    • Suite

the service on the veranda on saturday lunch time was poor - no bar service. we drank our own wine due to the scenario.

the beautiful location and our room with stunning views

• Standard Room

The room was perfect will definitely stay there again and recommend to friends and family

The room was nice and spacious, very clean, welcoming snacks were brought to me when I checked in and the facilities excellent.

The staff were amazing however, the hotel rooms and bathrooms could do with modernising.
    • Deluxe Room

I felt my bathroom was very outdated. The shower door was broken. When I mentioned this they came straight away to fix it. There was some mould in the shower. I think the bedrooms do need a lot of modernising. In my opinion, based on the bedrooms, I would say more a 3 star than a 4 star. Unfortunately, there was no fridge in my room. The carpets needed a clean or need to be pulled up and tiled for cleanliness. The cushions on the bed were also dirty. The bar area could also do with a revamp.

The staff were exceptional and definitely made my stay more pleasurable. They were helpful and friendly. Nothing was a problem. I had left cash in the safe when I checked out and was delighted about the honesty and the fact all of it was returned to me. I requested an ironing board and within minutes it was brought to my room. The food in the bar area was lovely and the staff made it a wonderful evening in the bar. They would go to extra measures to ensure my stay was fantastic. The staff I would say are 5 star however, the bedrooms were more like a 3 star. Breakfast was lovely too with a great selection. Being a vegetarian I felt there was a good selection for me.

Family friendly, tranquil and calm
    • Deluxe Room

Food is not halaal freindly

The location is perfect for a stop over trip It’s family friendly Breakfast is accommodating and easy for family or business

In General- brilliant service, good location, well kept facilities.
    • Deluxe Room

The bathroom could benefit from a revamp :) but it was not bad. You have to request a new wifi voucher every day - there has to be a simpler process to enable a daily allowance.

The service ethic throughout the hotel is brilliant. We were offered help without requesting it. Reception staff called me on the second day to check if we were happy and to offer assistance if required. The cleaning staff came to the room on the first evening and offered assistance if required. The hotel is very child friendly with an outdoor play area and gated pools. It also feels very safe and secure. The parking bay for the car is outside the room which is very convenient.

A good base from which to explore the Garden Route
    • Standard Room

The atmosphere in the restaurant was a bit "old world".

The view from the room was very relaxing as it looks directly onto the George Golf club.

The beds were good, the room was very spacious
    • Standard Room

The bathroom wasn't 100% clean (lots of little bugs in the tub); check in was messy (we initially got a room key that was already occupied, it was caught just in time and next the employee went to check physically if our room was actually available); storing luggage was possible but procedure seemed unclear to employee. Breakfast was ok (one could order fresh made eggs) but some of the buffet stuff was stale. Super friendly people all around, just very disorganized.

The beds were good, the room was very spacious

Amazing stay at the Protea King George!
    • Standard Room

we feel the bathrooms can be upgraded as we were in room 501 and our bathroom had a leak on the right hand side of the shower there was always a puddle of water

our room had a great mountain view with a very comfortable bed. our room was cleaned every day and the staff were friendly always checking up on us if we were ok in the breakfast room / restaurant. The location suited us perfectly

Would definitely not recommend a stay here. Overpriced for what it offers.
    • Deluxe Room

The room decor was very dated. The fridge had a leg missing, wobbled. TV reception was poor. Bathroom tiles cracked and chipped. Toilet seat did not fit properly. Bathroom cabinet water damaged. The safe in the cupboard was fitted in such a way that there was very little hanging space.

Very average. I would not recommend a stay here nor would I visit again.
    • Standard Room

No gown, no slippers. Room was very noisy, I felt like I was sleeping in the car park.

The chef made a plan and made dinner for me after the kitchen closed. The meal wasn’t great but the effort he made really made the stay better

Disappointing!
    • Deluxe Room

Misinterpretation on the advertisement. Room with a view on the mountains!.... no such thing -- the rooms were squashed in, clearly not planned--- not even a window in the room that can be opened. Dark place -- would have never stayed in the place if we have seen it in the day. We arrived late! Tariffs compete with 5 star places where we have stayed....

To be avoided.
    • Deluxe Room

The room is old, the bathroom small and uncomfortable and the food is really awful and over-priced. Not worthy of a 4* status.

The location is really pleasant!

Great overnight stay

We thought the R195 p/p for breakfast were far to much

The bar area was great with lovely food, we arrived late and the bartender had no problem serving us.

very dissapointing
    • Standard Room

the food was absolutely terrible and pricey. the water stank like sewerage and had to be reportedtwice and it still stank the day we left. the room was not cleaned properly. and on one occasion the towels were not returned to the room, no coffee were replaced and outside was a mess. i was not impressed with the hotel's service or the food

only the view

Not a 4 star hotel
    • Deluxe Room

I arrived at the property with my adult chidren who assisted me on the trip as I am still recovering from knee replacement surgery. I asked for a room close to main building but was told nothing was available. Arrived in room 419 on the far side of the property. Room was smelly with very bad dirty odours, obviously previous guests were smoking in the room and I don't know what else. The only small dustbin in bed room was not cleaned and still overflowing with, amongst others, tissue paper and sanitary waste of previous visitors. Room 419 was the last room in the passage, with dirty room service tray on floor directly in front of my door. My children found the bad odour unacceptable and went to reception on my behalf and managed a room swap - Room 311 was now all of a sudden available and much closer to the main building! Mini bar fridge was found empty. Dustbin lid was found broken. No face cloths. Fresh towels returned only late next afternoon. I managed initial access to so called free 500MB WIFi. Ten minutes on news website and then disconnected with message that free access has expired. No luck in trying to sign on again. Purchased 1GB for almost R280! Can one really accept all the above as part of a four star facility? I mentioned to reception staff on check-out, who commented that they will report it to management who will look into it. Amazingly this is exactly the same training line that management also used without end on numerous previous guest's feedback on this website on similar issues, stretching almost a year back. I wish I believed the reviews before I booked.

Comfort combined friendliness.

The room is spacious, with a wonderful balcony. Nothing seemed to be a problem and none of our requests was too much to handle. The food was good and a good variety...supper and breakfast. And the newspaper every morning... a bonus!

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Quiet, with a stylistic nod to the British Empire.
    • Standard Room

The staff were friendly. The surroundings and hotel were lovely, the bar with reference to old British Empire days. The golf course and mountains are added to a spacious, scenic feel. There's a gorgeous large chessboard outside, it felt a little like Alice in Wonderland with a cute bunny hopping across it one morning.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Food was tasty and rooms were bigger than expected which was...
    • Deluxe Room

The noise at 5:30am from other guests and the porters trolley making a noise at 6am on the paving outside the room.

Food was tasty and rooms were bigger than expected which was a bonus plus the view was amazing.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Brilliant stay

Nothing I did not like

Everything about the hotel was exceptional, and I don't give praise lightly. It was clean, stylish, roomy with excellent service. Room itself was well equipped and comfortable. I could go on but suffice it to say I was very pleased with my stay, and although short and sweet this time, I hope to be back for a longer visit in the future.

Not recommendable 🙃
    • Deluxe Room

Carpets were filthy, access key to room did not work when we returned later after dinner (both evenings - had to drive by car back to reception for matter to be rectified😡, linen lying around in passage on floor and vacuum cleaner plugged into wall socket in the middle of passage at 10pm???

Perfect short stay.
    • Standard Room

I would have like a bigger bed, but other than the size, the bed was very comfortable. The breakfast could be cheaper. Although the food was very good, the price is just a bit too high.

Lovely relaxing atmosphere. Quiet. Staff was very friendly and as usual the stay was the BEST. We shall come back again and again.

Nice location, some of the reception/front staff was...
    • Deluxe Room

Carpets were dirty, bathtub was dirty when I checked-in. We didn't enjoy breakfast and dinner. The restaurant staff does not acknowledge guests walking in! Wait for service is long at the restaurant.

Nice location, some of the reception/front staff was friendly and helpful - especially the night staff and housekeeping staff.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

I last visited in 2003, train the restaurant staff.
    • Standard Room

Restaurant, staff untrained to expected standard. The food I ordered was 'not available' twice. The staff desperately need more training, they are willing.

I travelled with my son who had the ajoinng room, lovely to sit out & enjoybthe view & peace.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

2 double beds which made it easier for me to sleep with my...
    • Standard Room

Carpet was slightly dirty and they did not provide a cot in the room, after they had confirmed that they would.

2 double beds which made it easier for me to sleep with my baby and my husband to sleep on a separate bed but in the same room.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

OK if you need a clean bed.
    • Standard Room

Terrible meal in the evening - no à la carte, only tourist busload passenger food. Very little fresh fruit for breakfast.

Beds were comfy, as were the pillows.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

Average for a strong brand!
    • Deluxe Room

Comfort of the Room - it felt dusty and poorly ventilated. The television screen did not work - data charge is hidden costs - not worth the money spent.

Parking facilities

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

Great location, willing staff, very poor food, rooms average, not a four star hotel.
    • Deluxe Room

The hotel Restaurant was extremely poor, both dinner and breakfast. Out of stock of 50% of the items on the a la carte menu, the breakfast buffet was very limited and very poor quality, not nearly worth the amount of money we had to pay. We will never eat there again, ever. The bar service was slow. The room had a good view of the golf course, however, the carpets were very dirty. The bath was very scratched.

The location next to the George Golf course was great. Very tranquil. Staff friendly and willing.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

Stay was ok but not what we expected.
    • Deluxe Room

The fact that the pool was always occupied due to it being situated in front of the rooms occupied by other guest.The guest who stayed along side the pool made use of it as if it was there for them exclusively.

Te view of the mountain outside my room.

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

Overnight stay

Would have been great to have room service available in the evening on Christmas Day as we arrived late in the evening. The restaurant was also fully booked.

Loved the spaciousness of the suite

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

The reception manager was very welcoming and the access to...
    • Deluxe Room

The reception and room service staff were good. The dining hall dinner staff were generally bad and as as result we only had dinner there once Housekeeping useless - told they had run out of blankets and would not replenish everything. Had to be asking

The reception manager was very welcoming and the access to the pool of the room

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

Comfortable, clean and fun little pool and staff very helpful
    • Deluxe Room

Buffet dinner was a bit disappointing and dirty cutlery. Spa was not available for a week!

Comfortable, clean and fun little pool and staff very helpful

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Would never stay there again.
    • Standard Room

But one of the two rooms we were assigned had an unpleasantly strong chemical smell which remained even after further cleaning, and the one my friend was moved to had been used - dirty spoon, yuckily smelly pillow. Although we booked months in advance, both initial rooms were next to reception and the kiddie pool, and staff said they could not move us to better rooms even though many rooms on the golf course side seemed vacant. After my friend spent a sleepless night in the dirty new room, the hotel decided not to charge us for it - a much appreciated gesture, but two uninhabitable rooms in one night was inexcusable.

Very friendly staff - great food, buffet style; the breakfast is expensive but worth it and the grounds are beautiful.

Will stay again
    • Deluxe Room

The pools looked a little green but my grand daughters still went in.

The rooms were excellent, we had a problem Booking.com had booked 5 rooms instead of 3 so consequently 5 rooms were taken off my credit card, but the lady in the office dealt with it very efficiently and quickly. Excellent breakfast.

Not worth the money and not 4* level
    • Deluxe Room

Overpriced breakfast. WiFi is on a code basis and for work you have to keep getting a code as data runs out. Room service food not up to parr for hotel rating.

Good Location

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

Room was not clean on arrival. Overall not worthy of 4 star.
    • Standard Room

On three occassions I had to request toilet paper. There was underpants of the previous guest still in the bathroom. For a family room they only supplied two towels and two cups for coffee....

Staff were friendly. Breakfast was good

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Its a great place to be, i have been going to the same place for 3 consecutive years.
    • Standard Room

There was a very rude tall light in completion cleaning lady who threw our clothes every where in the bathrooms on Christmas day. room 209. that was the only disturbing matter for me.

The facilities and the staff are great

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Clean, but not value for money
    • Deluxe Room

Cracked tiles in the bathroom, stained mirror in the bathroom, bathroom ceiling stains, carpet stains, and dormitory feeling of the facilities. Very dated and old. I couldn't believe it was 4 stars rated.

The beds were clean.

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

Stunning view relaxed atmosphere. Hotel definitely need a revamp!!!!
    • Deluxe Room

We took a two bedroom place only had 1 bathroom that ws dissapoiting. The linen didn't feel fresh yet it ws clean.

Breakfast was lovely the view of gold course ws definitely amazing, overall hotel had a relaxed atmosphere.

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

Lovely stay, absolutely beautiful and stunning staff. Nothing to much for them.
    • Standard Room

I you had a booking for the extra night I had to stay due to work. You were unfortunately fully booked.

This is an amazing gem. I am so glad everything was fully booked, otherwise I wouldn't have found you. Lovely and spacious rooms. I love the little lounge and the fact that you can go outside. The fact that there is a restaurant on the premises is wonderful. After a day's work one does not have to go find a place to eat some where in a town you do not know. Really enjoyed my short stay.

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

Awesome will be back soon !
    • Standard Room

Staff need more hands on training No halaal breakfast on offer for muslim guests like myself

Tranquil setting Lovely bunnys to play with in the mornings , superb mountain views

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

The Staff was helpful and friendly
    • Deluxe Room

Door system constantly locked me out, Room was far from the main building. Would not have mind to walk but there no cover along the pathway as it was raining.

The Staff was helpful and friendly

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• Standard Room

Your intent keeps going off and the allowance you give for a traveller staying whole day in your hotel is too little. Have Internet available to your guests as long as they are booked until check out

The rooms were good and spacious except you don't provide any lotion and your soap is too small

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Overall
    • Standard Room

Bathroom door touching shower glass. Had to be extra careful not to bump glass.

Bedding very nice and comfortable. Little extras in bathroom a nice touch. Loved heater being on when we got there in the cold and wet weather.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Nice and private.
    • Deluxe Room

The coffee cups were both dirty and the shower floor needs to be less level so that the water can drain. The water runs all over the bathroom and into the hall at front door.

Nice and private.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Provided a great stay during my work trip
    • Standard Room

WiFi should not be limited to a daily quota

Prompt response to queries and great atmosphere.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

The room was spacious and very comfortable.
    • Standard Room

The bathtub did not have a stopper so I could not take a bath, had to just take a shower.

The room was spacious and very comfortable.

Great stay

Exceedingly good

Food and beautiful facilities

The accommodation was lovely
    • Standard Room

The breakfast was not worth the money...R195 per person? Had much better breakfast for less.

The accommodation was lovely

Weekend getaway

Not applicable

Easy access, convenient parking and security.

Terrible stay
    • Standard Room

The bathroom needs extensive work and I cannot find anything good to say

The friendly staff only

View

Breakfasts very expensive

View

wonderful

nothing everything was perfect

Stunning view from the room, friendly staff

It was great
    • Suite

There were no extra blankets in the room.

The room was very spacious

Loved it

The unhappy face of the barman when we went for a night cap at 10pm

Loved the huge bed!!

See above

Great hotel for an overnight on garden route

Hard to find initially.

Wonderful view from the balcony across the golf course to the mountains. Very comfortable bed and spacious room.

Very quiet