Reviews of Protea Hotel by Marriott Knysna Quays 4 stars

Waterfront Drive, Waterfront, 6570 Knysna, South Africa

#19 of 28 hotels in Knysna

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

Everything thing especially the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff - outstanding were Siya at the front desk and Siminike (not spelt correctly sorry !) at the bar.

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

Breakfast staff not available to do eggs. Both mornings. We had to look for them. Tables never cleared between helpings. Also had to get up ask for coffee. They were there but to involved in their own loud conversation to serve anyone. However a great breakfast selection.

Position, position, position.

• Lagoon Facing Room

Not good value for money. Extremely expensive for that type of Hotel. Staff at breakfast were not friendly or helpful. TV channels were grossly inadequate for the price of almost R3000/night Room was small for the price paid Shower was blocked Towels were not changed often enough No balcony Asked for pool facing and lagoon facing room but got a bad view of the lagoon only shampoo and soap provided was inadequate for 2 adults

Only the location and nothing else

The parking bays were a bit small for a 4x4 but adequate

The Reception Staff new me by my Christian name, The room's window was "Double Insulated" which was fantastic as it faces a busy shopping mall, The beds were super luxurious and the shower was bigger than a bath. Not to mention the breakfast !!!! WOW couldn't eat enough.

• Lagoon Facing Room

More staff at breakfast is highly recommended. There should also be at least four porters.

Excellent service, location and amenities as well as the friendliness of the staff.

• Lagoon Facing Room

The double room was a bit small with not enough cupboard space. I would have liked gym facilities.

Wonderful location with the waterfront directly adjacent, excellent view overlooking the jetty and great breakfast. The staff were very friendly and the front desk responded very quickly to any requests. Also, good WIFI signal and heated pool.

• Lagoon Facing Room

Premium Package fof DStv should be considered. We couldn't watch certain programmes at night as well as he kids favourite programme but other than that, everything was fine.

The room was spacious, my boys had fun. I was easily accessible and all the equioment and accessories were in a working order. My boys also enjoyed being in a heated pool. Most importantly, the employees love their work as they all smiled and treated us with respect. The porter, receptionists, handyman, waitresses, cleaners, etc. were all in an impressive behaviour and pro-active in their approach and very humble in treating us.

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

The reception. The lady who handled the check-in process was on the phone for the majority of the check in process. She was, however, very friendly once she got off the phone.

• Lagoon Facing Room

Having paid for a room with a view at quite a premium we would have liked bigger window / door though which to view the lovely waterfront and all of the yachts.

Sparkling clean and comfortable room with good view although the glass sliding door was quite small. Good breakfast and the hotel is right on the Knysna Quays area so plenty of options to eat and shop for curios. Really good air conditioning.

• Lagoon Facing Room

The staff were great and very helpful especially the Duty Manager and housekeeper who found we had left belongings in the room and arranged for them to be couried to Cape Town after we had checked out, many thanks

• Lagoon Facing Room

We paid extra for a lagoon facing room but the view (on the second floor) was blocked by trees and a fence. The third floor rooms would have an unblocked view. The rooms were nicely air conditioned (with individual units) but the common areas (including the breakfast room) were not. The breakfast room staff was very busy cleaning tables and replenishing food items and it often took too long of a wait for refills of coffee and tea.

The location was perfect (on the waterfront) and the breakfast had an egg and omelet station for made to order requests. When we arrived we found a complementary bottle of wine and a box of cookies in our room as welcome gifts. The front desk staff were always very friendly and responded to any requests immediately.

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

The coffee served with breakfast was really not s strong point. We asked for cappuccinos but it was just like too much hot and thin milk.

Very friendly staff who helped us with restaurant recommendation (rather unusual, the hotel does not offer lunch or dinner) and booked us a table at a very nice place. The entire place feels very chilling and is of course right on the waterfront. Also, this being a low rise construction, it feels more like an American hotel. Frequently used for overnight stops by tour operators.

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

The fact thati wanted to stay for two more days, i requesteda discount price seeing that it is not the first time i use the property. I was then forced to use a different property.

The staff,room cleanliness.

• Lagoon Facing Room

There is no proper restaurant as such and that is the only negative point especially when you check in late at night. However everything is easily accessible and there are many good restaurants around.

I was initially allocated a room which I did not find appropriate for a 7 days stay and I made a request for a change of room. The request was more than favourably entertained by the hotel and I was upgraded beyond my expectation. My family and I spent a memorable stay in the hotel. The Bed is super comfy and the hotel itself is what can be qualified as a perfect location.

• Lagoon Facing Room

The location was perfect, bedrooms spotless with amazing views. Try sleeping with your curtains open and watching the sunrise from bed. Wonderful. We loved the breakfast. I accidentally left my wallet in the room and the hotel contacted me straight away and posted it back to me in the UK as I had already left for home.

n.a.

The Check-In process was superb - we were feeling expected, the Staff addressed us immediately on our right names and everything went smooth and easy - just as it should be! the bed was wonderful and big - we had a family room with two queensize beds which appeared rather to be kingsize and very comfortable with a view to the harbour and lagoon - very nice ! breakfast was also phantastic! over all a perfect stay; we left with a very good feeling ...! not really inexpensive but absolutely worth the money if you´re willing to afford it!

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

We went to 2 of the restaurants they recommended on and they were mediocre and a bit expensive and we didn’t like the fact that they charge for parking when there are so many free parking spaces all around

The breakfast was extremely good and the service was excellent :)

• Lagoon Facing Room

Massage was not available due to illness of a external contractor. I thought that for this kind of location and for this price the facility could assure a massage because it was one of the criteria to choose this hotel.

• Lagoon Facing Room

Breakfast was very budgeted. Poor selection for non carb eaters

The heated pool was great for the kids. Our room oveelooking the pool made it easy to supervise my kids

• Lagoon Facing Room

Nothing, perfect for a night or two & super value for money.

Straight on the quays next to shops, restaurants & amenities facing onto waterfront. Safe with on site parking.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Garden View

The restaurant staff to be more trained.

The breakfast was excellent except that there were long queues. It took aapproximately 30 minutes to get eggs done. The staff in the restaurant was not sufficiently vigilant to guests needs.

1. Its something small but management should attend to it. The hanging lamp in the bedroom hangs very low and the edges are sharp and dangerous. I constantly knocked my head on the lamp. 2. The selection of non- alcoholic drinks from the bar was very limited.

The location is fabulous on the Waterfront. Wide selection of restaurants and the atmosphere was very festive. The service from the staff at the hotel was exceptional - very friendly, helpful and accommodating.

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

It's a proper Hotel - so don't expect some guesthouse or small Pension charme.

It's right at the waterfront - so perfect if you don't wanna go far for dinner. 1 minute and you have some nice (very touristy) restaurants. the food was very good, prices reasonnable and I could enjoy some glasses of wine cause no driving necessary.

• Lagoon Facing Room

When searching for accommodation we were looking for two double rooms for 4 people but confirmation indicated single use rooms. There was no hassle changing this to double use although there was an extra charge which we were advised by email but it was irritating that the hotel didn't seem to be aware of the change when we were checking in.

We had booked lagoon facing rooms which were perfect. Would recommend these.

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

Service. We were treated like we were lost. On top the $200 p/n you have to pay for parking. The room we were booked in is right at the end of the property which takes forever to get there

Crispiest bacon ive ever had. Yum.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Garden View

I am disabled. The room was accesible and all my requirements were met. Special thanks to Marietjie who was my contact point and managed all my expectations. The staff was friendly. Special thanks to Killian who always walked with me to the hairdresser. Exceed all expectations.

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

There was a funky smell coming out of the bathroom on our first night - must be the plumbing. It all went away after we told the maintenance.

Sleeping on that bed is like sleeping on fluffy clouds!

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

Beds uncomfortable, cramped space for two, pay for hotel parking, kids take over pool, need better communication and handling of water switch offs.

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

Bed and pillows not very comfortable, room fridge too strong and freezing beverages.

Cooperative staff, friendly attitude, good breakfast, almost central location and user friendly air conditioning

• Lagoon Facing Room

Clean, comfortable and spacious rooms. Great breakfast. Within walking distance of waterfont and restaurants. Heated pool, ideal for kids. Fantastic service.

• Lagoon Facing Room

Room was only ready for us at 1500 and when we entered the room there was a strong smell of body odor! Needed to open the window to air it out

Was clean and comfortable and spacious with magnificent view

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

No gymnasium. No iron & board in each room. Pillows too puffy. Duvets too thick. No adjacent family suits.

Heated pool. Excellent Breakfast. Friendly Staff. Excellent Rooms.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Garden View

Breakfast was a typical average Marriot breakfast buffet in a country with much higher standards—and I have stayed in Marriott 5 times this year

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

Next time I will request different bedding. The duvet was very thick and heavy. With my disability I found it far too heavy and had to change bedding ourselves.

We requested a room with disability bathroom which we got. A special shower chair and extra towels were supplied.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Garden View

Value for money was not as good as I would like and hence I will look for alternative accommodation in the future

The hotel was adequate but I feel we paid more than was required and have stayed in many hotels in South Africa for less money and better value.

A little too touristy

Very comfortable hotel but very busy tourist area, mainly fast food type though good eating out side hotel area but you need to drive for safety though only 3/4min drive.

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

The room is very expensive for the room size. Aircon / heater does not work properly. I didn't like that we were placed on the side that was sort of outside and that you could see the rooms across yours. I prefer not to see my neighbours.

The Staff were very Friendly. The rooms were clean neat and comfortable. The breakfast was good. It was in the perfect location, right on the Warf. There are shops and restaurants right outside. Its very busy and safe to walk at night.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Garden View

Terrible noise, see above.

The room itself looked fine, but this was one of the noisiest hotel rooms I've ever been in. We were on the ground floor (we asked for a higher room but none available), with an outdoor corridor with stone floor, metal staircase, and horrible echo. I am a very sound sleeper, but when a bus tour group left early in the morning it was super loud and impossible to sleep. Not at all what we wanted or needed during a long trip. The room initially seemed a bit overpriced for the location (small town off season), but with this loud and disruptive situation, it was terrible value. This type of noise might be ok at a youth hostel or similar budget, but not at a mid-price hotel. Will definitely not return.

• Lagoon Facing Room

Staff enthusiasm was average. Room size was quite basic. Breakfast was average and nothing to cherish about.

Overall experience was good would score 7.5/10. I think staff enthusiasm was average. Location was nice I would recommend this only if my friends cant find something better. Not as a first best choice.

• Lagoon Facing Room

The room was not properly prepared upon arrival. Fridge not working. Mattress of one bed very bad, was exchanged for one slightly better but still not satisfactory. Dirt found (unidentified object with hair strands attached) under clean floor towel.

Bar personnel and reception staff were very good. Breakfast good.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Garden View

Paying for parking, only one draft beer option at bar which ran out during our stay and rooms not very sound proof.

Excellent location, quality of breakfast very good, beds comfy, great coffee, heated pool

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

I was there during the fire and the staff and management was excellent in helping out and accodating people who had been evacuated and they should be highly commendef.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Garden View

Very loud and noisy bus tour guests every night till late at night. Only quieted down after call to reception every night.

Nice, clean and comfortable room. Friendly and helpful staff. Good breakfast and well situated. Excellent handicapped facility.

• Lagoon Facing Room

For price of hotel you would expect free parking and better insulated rooms.

We chose this hotel because of its location on the waterfront. Noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in! Room's balcony was disappointing and not usable.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

Size of room was perfect and the bathroom was very nice and clean. Double sliding door so no noise. Breakfast was very nice with a very good variety.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Lagoon Facing Room

Great location, views over the Marina fabulous and worth paying a little extra. Minutes walk from waterfront restaurants, bars and shops. Can also walk into town if you wish.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

That I couldn't stay longer 🙁

Fresh beautiful breakfast with lots of variety. Comfortable hotel and room. Close to everything. Lots of natural light. Excellent experience everytime.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

• Lagoon Facing Room

One request for an additional bag stand for the room was ignored - not an issue really. Bath hot water was yellow. Shower was fine.

Flexible check out which was much appreciated. Lovely swimming pool. Great location. Overall a very nice hotel.

• Lagoon Facing Room

It's a pity the restaurant doesn't serve lunch or dinner, but having said that there are many restaurants within close walking distance so it wasn't a problem. I can't really think of anything I don't like about this hotel. Maybe they could stock the mini bars, as they're empty mini fridges.

This is our second stay in the past three months and both times we have been very happy. Excellent breakfast with everything imaginable, very clean and comfortable room and a beautiful view. The free WiFi and the heated pool (and it's properly heated) were the cherry on top.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

• Lagoon Facing Room

The rooms have little storage space. So our bags were all around the room. We had to pay for parking on the premises. I've stayed at many hotels and this was the first hotel that I had to pay for parking..given the price of the accommodation, one would expect that it be included.

Breakfast was good. Nice variety to choose from. The croissants were the best I've had in a long time. The pool is heated.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Lagoon Facing Room

Lost my breastpump tube because it accidentally feel into the bin. Am guessing if my charger feel in the bin too it would have been lost with the trash. Bins should be placed a bit far from plug points. Attention too would be nice. If the only thing in the bin is a breastpump cable what are the odds that it is junk, 2 the bin being so close to the plug point would also signal the oddness. And lifts did not sense yerr the danger. Otherwise besides that all was good.

Great staff, great room with quay view, great breakfast variety. Swimming pool was lovely.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

• Lagoon Facing Room

although the room was comfy and clean, I felt the mattress was a bit "over the hill", but then I am a fusspot. It did not spoil my time at the hotel.

I enjoyed the stewed fruit, and stewed pineapple, and the beef stir fry. Yummy ! The quays are a vibey place to hang out and shop for interesting clothes, and gifts. The view over the quays was interesting. The cruise on the lagoon was enjoyable, as well as the hike at "Featherbed" estate. It was nice to have a heated pool to relax in at night after a day of sight seeing. With all the amazing restaurants in the area, we needed the exercise !

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Lagoon Facing Room

Thin walls and noisy rooms. Hotel has no restaurant and local restaurants fully booked so dinner proved to be a struggle.

Very pleasant and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Garden View

Not enough tea bags and milk in room. Had difficulty in finding a shop to buy.

Hotel is in a very good location. Staff in dining room were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent.

• Lagoon Facing Room

Excellent location, close to many restaurants and shops. Lovely room with a lagoon view and very friendly and helpful staff. Would recommend this hotel to all my friends and family.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

• Lagoon Facing Room

Restaurants in the Waterfront were just mediocre so it would be good to have a better choice of restaurants.

Bed comfortable, immaculately clean, plenty of choice for breakfast, affordable drinks at the bar which is rare in a hotel. Convenient location.

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

• Lagoon Facing Room

The hotel is very busy with lots of coach parties. It can be noisy at night with all the comings and goings. Breakfast can be very busy, and the staff were slow to replenish breakfast items. Noisy air conditioning.

Great location on Knynsa Quays easy access to waterfront restaurants. Nice sized room overlooking marina, clean, good service.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

• Lagoon Facing Room

Television picture was very poor.It might be the Tv settings.At least a Jug of clean water would be nice as We are used on drinking bathroom water

Breakfast was nice .friendly kitchen staff.Bed was comfy.Next time It will be me any my husband

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Garden View

Hi We paid quite a bit for the room and the quality of the room was terrible. We were given the first room which was a double room but the room was tiny. We were 2 adults and 2 kids and when asked if there was another room we were told no by the front desk lady and she didn't even bother to check. Kindest Regards Zeenat

When we checked in the lady that checked us in was absolutely lovely. Unfortunately she went off duty after we checked in and the lady that replaced her was not as friendly. Loved the little kiddies area they set up at breakfast.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

• Lagoon Facing Room

Bed very comfortable. Breakfast excellent, bacon cooked perfectly, both streaky and back. Pancake machine was great so could make your own pancakes with no mess in one minute. Staff helpful and knowledgeable.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

When we came the keys did not open the room, so we had to go back. There was only one towel in a room for two...

The room was very comfortable, although not very big. Closely located to the restaurants at the Knysna Quays. Extensive breakfast with everything you could think of.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

• Lagoon Facing Room

I found the service in the restaurant poor ie the servers never came back to check to see if we needed anything and just took your order, delivered the food and then there was a long gap before you saw them againt maybe ask for the check???

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

Air conditioning in the room was rubbish, there's no bar or restaurant in the hotel

Location was excellent, staff were mostly friendly, pool area is lovely

• Lagoon Facing Room

We were greeted by a very unfriendly lady at the reception area. the carpets in the room were very musty. A tired hotel. The rooms need refurbishment.

Breakfast was great.

• Lagoon Facing Room

The charge of R25 for vehicle parking. And yet parking bays were a bit narrow. Was very awkward to park my car.

Nice big spacious room. Big variety for breakfast.

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

Room was not ready when we arrived which was 15:00. Then gave us wrong room as i booked a double and they gave us a twin

the lication was in a great place

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

• Lagoon Facing Room

Staff were short and rude. Seemed full of people without enough facilities. Pool is very small. No helpful advice about the area provided. Lacks a bit of atmosphere and soul

Good location.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

Owing to it being New Year's day, half the restaurants in Knysna weren't open and the rest had long waiting times. The hotel only does breakfast so it was difficult to get an evening meal owing to the huge number of tourists visiting.

Good location to the waterfront, comfortable rooms and facilities all in good condition and working. Breakfast was excellent with a good choice.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Lagoon Facing Room

They did not provide us with water bottles. the waitress during breakfast did not offer drinks which usually do, tea/coffee.

the location is perfect. the reception staff is helpful. the room is clean, and the bed is excellent.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

• Lagoon Facing Room

Cleanlinness. On arrival had to call housekeeping to spray for ants on bedroom floor. Also to vacuum carpet to remove food crumbs and hair.

Excellent breakfast. Couldn't have asked for more variety.

The staff were rude

There were no towels in my room on arrival and after an hour of requesting them I had not received any. I then asked why there were no towels I was told that there was a shortage of towels and I The staff then tried to give me old smell ones. I refuse md to take them and they then took another hour to find proper towels. The staff were also rude. Not what I expect from a 4 star hotel

• Lagoon Facing Room

Noise control shocking. Guests kept us awake until early hours of the morning and again from 4:30am / had to personally ask them to quiten down, kept all 4 of us awake, screaming and laughing on the mini balconies and from the bedrooms below us Only 2 towels in room had to phone and ask for more was very rude Only 2 cups in room same response as above.

Clean. Pool was in good condition and food was great.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

• Lagoon Facing Room

We stayed in four hotels on our trip and this was the best. We really couldn't fault a thing and are already planning our return visit in 2017!

The staff were amazing, friendly and helpful and always smiling. This hotel was like an absolute haven at the end of our trip. We had a lagoon facing double room with plenty of space, spotlessly clean and very nicely furnished. The free wifi and internet station on each floor with printer was a great touch. The pool area was really nice with heated pool and the breakfast was superb. Every taste catered for! The location is also really good, with a back gate right onto the Knysna waterfront.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room - Non-Lagoon Facing

There is a independent aircon in the room. It was like a old jet engine when it was on operation. The very very loud noise made me can not sleep. The fridge was also very noisy. I had to turn off the aircon and fridge all the time during my stay and bear with the high temperature and my sweat. The reception stuff attitude was also bad. I accidentally forgot my key card in the room. I used the phone in my parents room to call the reception. A lady picked the phone, promised to delivery the key to me. However, nothing happened. I went to the reception, successfully got another key card. I asked why I called but no one attend to me. She responded there is no one tell nobody do nothing... I couldn't believe it was a proper 4-star hotel.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

• Lagoon Facing Room

Very very dissatisfied and disappointed with staff, specially bar staff for drinks and coffee, totally disinterested, non complaint, rude, would not serve us, told us there was no ice cream for Don pedro's when there was, just to lazy to make, thus liars. All staff throughout the hotel was not friendly or helpfull, attitudes was they did us a favour, yet we paid R3000 per night.

Warm swimming pool and breakfast variety and breakfast food quality.

Browse Protea Hotel by Marriott Knysna Quays traveller photo gallery