Reviews of Protea Hotel by Marriott Port Elizabeth Marine 4 stars

Marine Drive, Summerstrand, 6001 Port Elizabeth, South Africa

#14 of 30 hotels in Port Elizabeth

4.9

Catering manager was prepared to open restaurant earlier the...
    • Queen Family Room

Catering manager was prepared to open restaurant earlier the Saturday to accommodate the schoolboys staying over who needed to be at Grey college by 7.30am. With the restaurant opening at 6.30am, it was a rush on Friday and there were quite a few families staying over.

A hotel I will never return to.
    • Queen Family Room

Service extremely bad, waited 2hrs for room service and order was wrong. Even 2.5hrs waited for boiling water because kettle was rusted in room. place very noisy, doors rattling. You hear people talking In the next room. Rooms drafty.

The view of the ocean.

Ok...would have appreciated better service and value for money
    • Family Room

Didn't quite get the 2 bed, 2 bath family room that we booked. The hotel had to make an arrangement and provided a loft apartment. Although the kids enjoyed it, didn't quite have the privacy needed. The sleeper couch was very uncomfortable

The views of the beachfront were good.

Great weekend in beautiful and very comfortabel hotel.
    • Queen Family Room

I prefer a more flat pillow than the two I got, but Housekeeping changed it the second night.

The best cuppucino in Marine drive is served at the Bar restaurant. We had a beautiful family room with everything and more we needed.

Generally very good Hotel ,
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

Coffee needs a bit of improving and we had to pay for a cab even though the Hotel has a free Shuttle . The issue was there is no way of knowing where they are at the Airport & no identification of the Hotel Shuttle Bus

Generally very good , had to walk appx 3/4 km to the swimming beach but that was a good stroll to stretch the legs. The pool was a bit small ie size of a large spa bath but overall quite good.

Excellent!
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

You location and friendliness of staff were excellent! Good!

Everything, food and bed was very good and I enjoyed the engagement with the staff and management! Will visit soon !

Clean and comfortable
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

Breakfast table offers e.g. fresh fruit not up to standard of a hotel of the class and R125 for continental breakfast???? Had to ask for more butter Bar snacks expensive and boring

Clean and comfortable

The stay was pleasant, balcony visits for drinks enjoyable.
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

We had a room stuck in a corner with a distant view of the sea over roof stones and so on being the main part of the 'view'. ALSO, I would prefer to be able to find the Hotel phone number (and NOT central reservations) to gain more specific information before booking.

Comfortable hotel opposite the beach

We had 2 rooms both of which air conditioning not working. Informed reception and someone came to look at it and couldn’t fix it, said he would inform management to get someone out following day. We went out early 7:30 The following day and once again I informed reception. Got back 13:00 and my room wasn’t even done and air conditioner not even sorted. I phoned the manager on duty and told her that they not getting a good review on trip advisor. In all fairness she then immediately arranged for us to change rooms and got the relevant people to come fix the air cons.infortunately I noticed the cleaning staff spent more time talking than actual work

Looks relatively new and rooms where spacious and close to beach

Great stay at good value.
    • Queen Family Room

Rooms and hotel clean, the staff made us feel very welcome, and service was great. Location was good, close to everything. Our kids loved everything about it.

Staff... awesome. Location was great.

Good value and comfortable stay in good location in Port Elizabeth
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

Pool is on roof and just a plunge pool. Our room was a huge family room with two levels (mezannine with king size bed and bathroom) - downstairs furniture dated and well used. Difficult to cool the room with aircon as floor to ceiling windows

Good value, comfortable and clean accommodation in good location on Marine Drive, with own restaurant, but also right next door to excellent privately owned restaurant.

Nice Room & facilities. Enjoyed it.
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

Had an medical emergency(wound started bleeding) and there was no medical/first-aid kit available!! 4 Star hotel should have that. Also against the law for a business not to have one!

Did not eat there.

I have cancelled the 2 rooms booked for our stay next month in favor of the Raddisson Blu.
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

Staff attitudes (in particular of the restaurant) was pathetic. We were told at checkin on the friday that the restaurant would be open at 06:30am on the saturday - when in fact its 07:30am for the weekends...which made the start of our day rather hard. The noise of the other guests "partying from 11pm through to 3am also did not make our start to the day all that great... My rooms aircon dripped onto my bed all night. My bathroom window had no privacy whatsoever to the house next to the hotel.

Room size was bigger than expected, and hotel was clean.

• Standard Guest Room with Front View

Room 733, the door on windy days makes a lot of sound underneath, we end up putting a towel to stop the noise and I forgot to tell the reception when checking out. Can the hotel try to make a moving stand for the TV set in the executive room for us to be able to watch the TV from the bed site.

I liked your service in the restaurant, food was good, staff very friendly and willing to assist.

Great hotel in Port Elizabeth
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

The pool was rather too small on the 3rd floor.

The view at the Marine is super. The beachfront restaurants are nearby. We drove to the beach itself. Breakfast was really lavish. The staff at reception were knowledgeable and helpful.

Comfy bed, good sized room.
    • Executive Suite

The security at the back of the hotel from the car park could have been better. I think using our room card to open the door would be better than anyone being able to walk in.

Comfy bed, good sized room. Staff extremely helpful and attentive.

Super hotel for sea views
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

It is quite a walk to the nearest swimming beach (Polock). We drove. The pool is a small plunge roof pool on level 3.

The Marine is the only reasonably priced hotel with sea views - but you do need a room on a higher floor, say 5, 6, 7. Request them on booking. The breakfast buffet was amazing.

WONDERFUL AND TREASURABLE
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I would like to ask your office to consider extending the swimming pool, which is too little and not in good standard according to your hotel.

The service provided to me band my family by the staff was intelligently and diligently executed.

Overall a good stay at the hotel.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed in room 632 was uncomfortable. Evaluate the possibilty of replacing the matrass.

The hotel is situated within walking distance from entertainment environment. Friendly staff who always responded urgently to my requests. Good breakfast and supper.

The only thing I loved about the property was it’s beach...
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

The service was poor. We were suppose to check in @12 but we ended up having to wait because the room was not ready, we waited at the reception area till 3 to be checked in.

The only thing I loved about the property was it’s beach view.

Good
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

Booking was incorrect. Very late arrival to find only 1 room booked but had already paid for 2. Night staff didn’t handle the issue well. I ended up sleeping in a disabled room. Day staff however made up for the night before.

Day staff were excellent as was breakfast

Potential to be excellent but falls short.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Advertises airport shuttle but it's actually a taxi. (Listed twice on as paid and not clarified). Seemed understaffed particularly at breakfast.

Very spacious room with a lounge area. Fantastic sea view. Nice location beside other prime properties in Summerstrand.

Perfect for what we needed

Nothing to dislike

Location was lovely, particularly if you have a sea view room. Free parking was a bonus and location relative to other things is good

Good view and location, room was spacious.
    • Presidential Suite

The pillows were incredibly soft, with no firmer pillows available. Hotel breakfasts are always over priced, rather just go to a restaurant down the road.

Good view and location, room was spacious. Right across the road from the beach, with a good restaurant across the road. Staff were friendly and accommodating, even providing a baby cot and microwave in our room for us (travelled with an infant).

I liked the fact that staff were all friendly and polite.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The breakfast disappointing. Not much options for muslim clientele. I contacted the hotel directly for arrangement of the basket and it was there I my room on arrival however it was abit disappointing as I had asked if I should stretch my budget and I was informed no that my budget was alot. Was not bad. But my expectations were maybe maybe too high.

I liked the fact that staff were all friendly and polite. They even upgraded mm y room and had accomodated my request with the basket I requested. But I was expecting more for the budget I had which was 800.

I ASKED FOR WATER AT THE THE RECEPTION 22.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I ASKED FOR WATER AT THE THE RECEPTION 22.55 AT RECEPTION SEND ME TO THE BAR THAT WAS CLOSED HAD TO PAY CASH R22 FOR A SMAL BOTTEL COS R6 AT CILCKS SEEM LIKE AFTER 23.00 AT EVENING THERE IS NOTHING AVAILEBALE AT THE HOTEL .

Very unsatisfactory stay
    • Queen Family Room

So much could have been better. The rooms really need an update. The carpets are clearly stained. The internet doesn't work at all. When we questioned this they tried to move us to a room half the size of what we paid for! Then eventually moved us to a room of the same size, with very poor spotty internet. The fridge froze everything and the temperature dial had been removed. The TV in lounge didn't work. The aircon remote in the bedroom didn't work. The previous occupant was clearly a smoker and the room reeked of smoke - never mind the masses of ciggarette butts all over the ground in front of the windows. The staff are not well trained to actually listen. My husband called to see if they had coffee plungers (as when we stayed there previously they did in the rooms) - housekeeping gets sent with extra hot chocolate - and literally says to me "you wanted more coffee" as she handed it across. All in all, for the amount of money I paid I would have been better off at a B&B

Once updating our credit card details on bookings.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Once updating our credit card details on bookings.com we couldnt see it at the protea hotel. I had to call the company that booked me to get the card number directly. Would be good to get real time updated information so if credit cards are used the hotel can see the update.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Here for the Ironman event
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

With one exception, our lovely waitress Maud, the staff ranged from bewildered and incompetent to downright rude and surly. The wi fi never worked - no doubt a ruse to make you buy the uprated version, and getting a drink in the bar first involved finding a bar person in whatever corner they were hiding and then standing over them while they slowly made a drink. Other guests were similarly frustrated. There is much more but suffice it to say this is not a Marriot! Maybe a Holiday Inn express on a bad day.

The room was adequate albeit in depressing brown decor. The hotel was well sited for the beaches and to view the Ironman event - the purpose of our visit.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

Cappucinos were amazing!
    • Executive Suite

We were a bit disappointed the first night, we checked in at 11.30pm as we drove fro JHB and we were booked into the wrong room. We booked and paid for an Executive Suite, I even requested a King bed online when I booked and we were put into a Club room with a double bed. When questioning it the next morning and asking to move the lady at the desk told be it was a down grade to go to an Executive Suite. So when we got back the next day we spoke to another guy who was very helpful, I cant remember his name but he had long dark curly hair, he immediately helped us out and moved us to our correct room. So thank you to him!!!

Cappucinos were amazing!

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

Location and bed
    • Executive Suite

Booked executive suite. Looked different from the pics. Very old inside and the carpets looked very old and dirty. There was also no hot water

Location and bed

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

Our stay in PE
    • Queen Family Room

Cleanliness & overall condition of room, bad wifi connection, breakfast overpriced and understaffed

Big rooms & bathrooms & great location to beach & shops. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Our stay was absolutely magnificent
    • Executive Suite

The security failed us a little bit specifically the night shift coz we had a break in in our car and they did not notice or inform us only the people at day shift inform us when we were abt ti gou out,but we are thankful for the help they gave us

The bed was extra comfy jst a bit big thank you.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Wonderful stay at the hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Slow in house keeping but there are those who are extremely exclusive in what they do

The hotel and staff have now become part of us and have recommended to friends and family

Never to be repeated vjsit
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Allocated a non-sea facing room. Your brochure says all rooms are sea facing.Bed made up around 4pm on 2 days.

Room comfortable. Hotel in a quiet areaaway from the bustle

Improvements needed
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The wifi coverage was poor in some areas of the hotel, so it was not guaranteed. You also have to log back in every time you come back to the hotel which is time consuming and it didn't always work. Our toiletries and tea supplies were not replenished everyday and I had to ask for extra supplies at reception. One day our room wasn't cleaned until 5pm and we wanted to get back in our room

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

Not value for money!
    • Queen Family Room

Rooms are full of dust mites!!!! You can literally see them when the lampshade is on! Food was below standard, did not look appertising at all. Expensive room rate did not include breakfast.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Not so great
    • Family Room

The water from the shower was luke warm- almost cold. Rooms not properpely serviced. Housekeeping staff not professional. Security guard was unfriendly and difficult at our arrival.

Convenient location

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

make people happy not unhappy. cause we pay for comfort
    • Loft Apartment

That sleeper couch was SO uncomfortable. Please you can let people pay such a lot of money for something that's so uncomfortable. Please go check out 301, sleep on that thing, n decide for yourself. We had to take pillows n sleep on the floor. How disgusting for a hotel.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

Right on the beach, great little restaurant next door wide...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel receiving an external makeover. Scaffolding up shouldn't be for long though.

Right on the beach, great little restaurant next door wide choice menu with substantial portions!

Big spacious room

No complimentary water

The family room was nice and big. It actually had 2 separate rooms

Large room and location.
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

Ordered room service and had to pay cash on delivery, even though reception had my credit card details??

Large room and location.

Truly value for money!
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

Disabled shower.....very slippery when wet. Almost broke my neck!

Friendly efficient staff! Perfectly located hotel with huge comfortable rooms.

I had to shower with cold water!
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

I had to shower with cold water!!

The people as workimg en the hotel irá very Friendly.
    • Executive Suite

The people as workimg en the hotel irá very Friendly.

Breakfast was very expensive for food that was on offer

Breakfast was very expensive for food that was on offer

Very central, with excellent views

Very central, with excellent views

Protea hotel
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

The food was expensive but not so good

The room was clean and we had great view

Location was good
    • Queen Family Room

Facilities and Wi-fi were very poor

Location was good

Enjoyed my trip
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

It is all fine. Had a good time and comfortable stay
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

Wifi very week. It is available in a specific area.

It was a good experience and will definitely come back again!
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

Booking.com did not notify us that breakfast was not included in the price

The location and the secure parking!

My stay was good
    • Executive Suite

The pool is rediculously small

My room was clean and had sea view which i requested

Had to log onto WiFi constantly

Had to log onto WiFi constantly

Protea never again.
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

Air conditioner not working and not attended to when I complained.

Nothing really

The size of the room was huge!
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

The size of the room was huge! Felt like an apartment. Was spoilt for space 👍🏽

Shower didn't work.

• Executive Suite

Location and atmosphere of the staff on our first encounter with South Africans

• Standard Guest Room with Front View

Bad WiFi connection, couldn’t work because of poor connection.

Fantastic double suite, so loads of room.

Too far out of town.

Fantastic double suite, so loads of room.

Room was just fine, but restaurant was appalling - roudy and...

The restaurant !

Room was just fine, but restaurant was appalling - roudy and full of what could have been thought to be half of a football match !

decor

decor

Ok but not a great standard

Breakfast rather disappointing

Excellent short stay
    • Queen Family Room

The size of the family room was very good. Far exceeded our eexpectations.

We really enjoyed our stay, was fantastic!!!
    • Standard Guest Room with Front View

Was happy nothing to add just like mentioned the meal options.

Maybe to offer a variety for halaal, kosher etc.

Amazing holiday!

Everything actually

Excellent stay. Will come back.

Difficulty linking Prokard with stay

Excellent all round. Chef in training, Neville was fantastic! Breakfasts excellent!

The rooms was very awesome i like.
    • Executive Suite

The rooms was very awesome i like. Stuff was so friendly

GREAT

I prefer my suite

Should include more verity on the breakfast

Should include more verity on the breakfast

Our PE experience at protea

Cleaniness and location

I didn’t eat at the hotel

I didn’t eat at the hotel

Room was not ready at time for check in, was not impressed,...
    • Queen Family Room

Room was not ready at time for check in, was not impressed, felt that the staff were not very perturbed that the room was not ready...

Refreshing and relaxing
    • Loft Apartment

The view was stunning all round from our loft. Staff very friendly and accommodating.

sea view rooms