Reviews of Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand 4 stars

14th Street, Noordwyk Ext 20, 1685 Midrand, South Africa

#12 of 31 hotels in Midrand

• Standard Double or Twin Room

AC in room was noisy and a part of the bathroom wall where the door closed fell off. Also phone was t working when I arrived but was later fixed. Many staff running around in restaurant at breakfast but takes soooo long to get tea or coffee. Seemed easier for men in business suits than for women to get a beverage.

Staff were friendly

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The floors were cold! I prefer Carpert! Going up & down the stairs was not user friendly to any physically challenged person

The food was very nice & the curtesy of the people very warm! There was amble parking space which was also guarded! My room was reasonably spaceous! The ablutions were very clean

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The tv ddnt have where u can insert ur usb if u wanna watch your own movie and they lied about rooms that are spund proof we could hear people talking on corridors or close their doors

The setting up of the room the tv infront of the bed and enough soft pillows

• Executive Queen Room

The caulking in the bathtub needs to be reapplied. The caulking around the tile area in the bathtub looked a very cruddy, there for it didn’t inspire me to take a bath and barely a shower.

I had a very comfortable stay.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

security wise. people fight next to our room not a single security show up we as rooms occupy we have to open our doors to help the lady beaten by her bf or husband.

gym and swimming

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Welcoming letter I'm room would be a nice touch except wrong surname. Also only one cookie at coffee station. Really? Seems small but create bad impression

Was clean and centrally located

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Service is atrocious. All staff need customer service training.

Compared to other Marriot Hotels we stayed at, the staff's attitude here, from reception to restaurant were absolutely atrocious. The food in the restaurant is totally over prized. The waiters in the restaurant will not even succeed at a SPUR or DROS. The service level at this hotel is a ONE out of TEN. To the management at the hotel, cleanliness and comfort alone is not enough - TRAIN your staff, up your Customer service, stop trying to make a quick buck in your restaurants!

none

the staff members are good at what they are doing and they are willing to assist at all times. the food and condition of the hotel was breath taking. definitely coming back soon.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The Gym needs an upgrade. The Gym facility is not up to standard. The food is very expensive! A bowl of biltong bar snack for R75.00 is a complete rip off. And the same for a bowl of peanuts ?

Friendly polite caring staff, comfortable fixtures.

• Executive Queen Room

The room was next to the road. I was disturbed by cars & walkers on the road. The fruits for breakfast is mostly canned not fresh fruits

The bed was very comfortable

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The Hotel wanted to charge us by "their exchange rate" which was ten rand for 1 usd instead of the official bank rate which was 13.32 rand for 1usd, which in total would have cost more than 500 usd extra which was not fare at all.

Bed was extra comfy.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Noise on the coridor at night from the hotel guests.

The bed was very comfortable. Room is cozy and nice, caring management and excellent staff. Specially Andrew at the transport desk was extremely supportive and accommodating to my last minute requests.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

None. Everything exceeded my expectation. Breakfast was a wow.

Welcomed at the reception. Room facilities excellent. Room service and food very well and the approach was very good during delivery of food in the room.

Toilets where not working properly in room 104 and the phone was not ringing

Security, is in order and the chef cooked very well and customer service was excellent

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I loved everything, from the smell of the hotel just as you enter to my comfortable bed. The showers very well kept and some things to use in case I forgot something at home. Very convenient. Thank you

Firstly the room was nicely designed, with enough space, very clean and comfortable. The outside view, just amazing. I seriously felt like I could stay forever. The staff were very helpful and efficient. The breakfast was out of this world, beautiful furniture and design. I love and enjoyed my staff in Protea Hotel Marriott. Thank you and keep up.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Arriving on a rainy Friday night from the airport and not knowing the area, it was really hard (2 hours later) to find the property. Even the Avis rent a car people could not locate it and give me proper directions. I paid for a Garmin GPS that deposited me half a kilometer away while insisting that it was the hotel. With no signs along that road that the hotel is indeed further up the dark and under construction little road, I again turned around and drove a long time while asking every person and garage for directions. It was very unpleasant! The rooms itself were not easy to find either, to add insult to injury :)

Staff were so helpful and impressive in their service levels.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The service at this hotel really is not great. From the reception staff right through to the bar staff. Breakfast was good, but we felt very uncomfartable as there were staff standing around and as soon as you put your knife or fork or empty glass down, they remove it. As if they want you to get done as quick as possible. They need to learn that if your cutlery is in a certain position in your plate, then it means you are still busy eating. I left some fritters in my plate and got up to go fetch jam. When I got back to my table, they already removed my plate. They even remove the plates from people while they are still chewing their last bit of food. The bar staff was even worse. On Saturday night we had to ask 5 times for service. We were at the Kyalami race track all day and were very hungry when we returned at about 21h00. The service was pathetic! The waiters just ignored us. Although the bartender asked them numerous times to attend to us. We had to ask 3 times just to get a menu and then we were handed one menu between 4 people. Luckily we bumped into a guy named Alvin who eventually ensured that we got some service. The front desk staff is also not really friendly or helpful. The hotel is very stuffy inside the room and passage areas and also very noisy with children and guests being very noisy. The rooms have a bar fridge - but nothing inside it. Would I reccomend this hotel? - not really. I was looking for accommodation near Kyalami race track and although this was not the closest accommodation, I was hoping that a Protea hotel would be nice to stay at, but sadly not. It seems like this is more of a conference centre than a hotel. Not on my favourites list at all!

The room was adequate just to sleep in. Didnt spend much time in the room because it is not really very big and seemed a bit stuffy. Breakfast was good, although a bit pricey, The bar area was spacious and stayed open until late, although service sucked

• Deluxe Double Room

We arrived late in the evening, we called ahead to advise of arrival. Yet there were no porters present to help with luggage. the window was missing a handle. Did not like the bath tub shower, which was partially clogged. Also the hairdryer felt sticky to the touch.

staff were courteous and efficient. Room and facilties were clean and neat. Good parking and wifi.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The restaurant was too noisy, it resembled nothing but a bar. the patrons at the next table were making so much noise we could hardly hear each other. If I had a choice I would have gone elsewhere. The Waitress was brilliant tough. the lamb shank was undercooked.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The cleanliness in the room wasn’t exceptional but ok. The price for the buffet is very high I

The WiFi was very fast and the hotel was a short distance from where I was going, with transport easy to get

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed should have been replaced a long time ago, pillows also long past there replacement date, towels had holes in them. I would NEVER refer anyone to stay there

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Late night staff a bit miserable. Food was good. Chicken livers were excellent, I ordered salmon salad and the kitchen staff defrosted the salmon in the microwave which partially cooked it.:(

24 hour kitchen

• Deluxe Suite

i had indicated that is was my wedding night - nothing was done to help celebrate the occasion. - even a rose on the bed would have been appreciated

the food was good

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It took 30 mins to check out as they couldn’t work out my bill and they still got it wrong. Breakfast was not great either. I expect a lot more for what I paid.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast is very expensive. R190 for 2 eggs and a sausage is ridiculous. There should be a price difference for people who don't eat everything on offer.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Drain was blocked. Croissants weren't flaky at all. Room although clean had a weird smell. The price for one night was steep considering that I still had to pay for Dinner and Breakfast separately..... P.S Consider trying someone like Deeghuis for fresh croissant readymade batter.

Bedroom was clean and Bedding was nice. Staff were very helpful. Restaurant was very nice and dinner was great.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It is in an industrial park so a car is essential!! No shuttle bus to Mall of Africa and that would help single travellers like myself!

The staff and customer service fantastic - the bar staff make the best coffee ever!!! Loved the garden area! So relaxing on the terrace watching bird life and relaxing!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The restaurant menu was always the same. They need to vary it. And it tooks a lot of time to get the dish that you have ordered even if the restaurant is empty

The personal are attentive

• Executive Queen Room

Front desk gave us an executive room with a faulty air conditioner and we were freezing. They promised to fix it following day but failed

Setting is beautiful including landscapes

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The welcoming was warm, the staffs were good to us, the cleanliness was excellent and the food was wow...( excellent). In short I will say I loved everything about the hotel. Thank you

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The floors were terrible. Had I known that the rooms weren't carpeted, I wouldn't have booked there. Must be really cold in the winter. Staff generally not friendly. No value for money in breakfast. For R195 there wasn't enough variety. Room service gave me an overcooked rump steak when I asked for a medium one. Was late and I'd just come from the airport, couldn't change as I was tired. Foul smell in the hallway, check around room 115. Was surprised that I also couldn't post bills to my room, instead i had to carry cash with me every where - such an inconvenience. And the staff was also so agressive when asking for bills to be paid instead of kindly explaining the hotel procedure.

Room generally neat. Grounds also beautiful. Secure parking lot. Great WiFi connectivity

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Needs more entertainment on the premises so we don't have to drive and look for ,maybe some live music or pool table.

The bed was extra comfy and the staff very friendly.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Not including breakfast within the price. Better to make it bed and breakfast

Readily available apple juice as complimentary at the reception. Friendly staff speaking English

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

I missed my Telemundo TV programme especially because I was resting most of the time. It would be great to have a more variety room service menu including drinks.

The rooms were a comfortable size. The beds very comfortable and lovely linen.The front destination staff very helpful.My children enjoyed the breakfast, sadly I was too exhausted to join them.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The kitchen should just improve on the Lamb Shank preparation. It had too much gravy and that wasn't delicious.

The place is clean, cool and very quiet. I like it

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I had to wait to long for Room service orders. The refrigerator in the room didn't seem to work or if it did then the temperature was too low.

The bed was nice, comfortable and soft. Pool area is amazing lovely view from my room (120).

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast on both mornings the juice was finished on the machine. Access door to the north wing (after dinning area) is very difficult to open between slotting in the card and opening the door

Staff is very friendly The hotel is clean and cozy too Proximity to freeway too and biggest mall in SA

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The wifi wouldnt work on my computer. Reception told me this was a common problem. For a business hotel this is a basic issue that needs to be fixed. I would prefer an ala carte menu for breakfast. To pay R185 when all you want is a small breakfast is crazy

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

• Executive Queen Room

The check-in staff were not very clear and when I asked for clarification they were quite short and impatient.

The bed was excellent. The a/c was perfect.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Electricity in this particular room (306) misteriously swithched off unannounced, the toilet kept on flowing, passages somewhat noisy from other quests closing doors.

Courtyard garden and terras attactive and pleasant, in an otherwise ordinary commerial area. On the Gautrain bus route for easy access. Interesting mix of quests.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

There were little fruit flies in bedroom and bathroom ....walls..I was robbed by room service a lady Rebecca.overcharged me and never supply a receipt.

Location pool area

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

one barman on duty at peak times service was very slow, out of stock of more than half the wine list and then fish out of stock for our meal as well. Rooms comfortable but definitely not maintained to a four star level, would stay again for a night but not for three in a row. Could not even have a decent shower as no water pressure and bath took more than half an hour to run. Not worth the rate charged.

Staff friendly.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Unfriendly and rude reception staff who seemed quite put out to assist when needed.

Clean and comfortable. Friendly cleaners. Restaurant very good value for money.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

The blacket was having a burnt spot. I requested one the receptionist to organise something for my son birthday she promised and never get back to me as she promised, the room service the food was not all delieved the waiter had to go back to do it

The food was great.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The initial room i was allocated had mold. At checkout, the cashier disregarded the discounts i earned though bookings.com and refunded me far less. There was a difference of about ZAR1200.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The guy who checked me in could do with a smile...especially when the guests are smiling to him.

The design of the room, the bathroom finishes and th bedding hmm...I wanted to take that room home with me Thank you so much for the wonderful weekend

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Service in the restaurant was very slow and the staff wasn't interested in the customers, the were standing in the reception.

The room was very clean, and the staff was friendly and gave excellent service.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The aircondition was not able to heat the room, only cool it. And since it was winter it was really cold. Equipment in the gym were poor quality and many bolts were loose. Could need a handyman.

The fact that I got 2 single beds than a double as I requested

The friendly staff

Poor reception

The breakfast and location

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Rooms were not so impressive

Dining hall

The bar area

It was as expected

• Deluxe Double Room

Great Hotel, great People, great experience.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Fridge in their room Breakfast no chiefs to do your eggs they the gas if finished Air conditioner was not hot

Atmosphere

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Warm welcoming,super friendly staff clean rooms and beautiful

• Deluxe Double Room

I requested a early check in but they didn’t have a record of it

Rooms were comfortable and very clean

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed was very comfortable with clean comfy sheets.

• Deluxe Double Room

Upon arrival, reception was unable to confirm our booking and had to wait about half and hour to have us sorted out

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Great hotel, great service, 3rd time staying in this hotel, never let me down. Well done! Keep it up!

did eat at the hotel

The room service breakfast

The service

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I saw very big rats at the corner of the hotel while I was driving at night, please use pest control it was scary.

Nothing really

Good in everything. The wi-fi makes the stay extra pleasant😊

The helpfulness of staff

• Executive Queen Room

THE FOOD IS THE STANDARD OF A GOVERNMENT HOSPITAL, AND THE STAFF AGREED !!

ROOM WAS NICE

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed was comfortable I even over slept,the breakfast was also ohk

• Deluxe Double Room

Everything, invl the weather.

Value for money

I didn't have breakfast

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The Bar could not supply the Cocktails that is on their menu

• Standard Double or Twin Room

My fellow people were making noise at the breakfast tables

Food was delicious