Reviews of Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town North Wharf 4 stars

No 1 Lower Bree Street, 8002 Cape Town, South Africa

#60 of 171 hotels in Cape Town

Very friendly staff and comfortable accommodation.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The arrangement when the repairs to the shutter door were taking place,there was no arrangement for the car parking,which was very quickly resolved.

The staff were really accommodating and so friendly,from the security in the parking to the reception staff and dining staff.

City center view of Cape Town
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

Hotel charged us for water , in the breakfast buffet.

the room spaces and fully equipped, room services was good and Col'Cacchio pizza menu in the room we ordered pizza margarita arrived in 20 mints.

little depressing
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Atmosphere as quite grim (We have stayed in lots of viby Protea hotels up to now). Access from parking to lobby also a bit 'unfriendly"

Restaurant staff unhelpfull but the pastries and omlettes were very good Location central ,rooms spacious

Average and expensive!!
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Staff like children should be seen and not heard! Staff conversations very loud! No Tonic water !! this was borrowed from next door and was warm! The waitress didn't know what tartare sauce was - the ordered fish and lamb chops were well cooked and very tasty but there was absolutely no garnish on the plates. The service could have been more attentive. The general décor of the hotel is dark and very dreary and quite depressing!

Great service, will definitely recommend to family and friends
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The floor was uneven close to kitchen nook and close to the main living room, not the hotels fault that there is a water shortage in cape town, but a bath for the little one would have made a huge difference, she is only 20months old

Service was great, porter was great, breakfast was excellent, overall great service from personnel, they were very accomodating with my vechile! Great service!!

Overall good staff and reasonable facilities. Decent breakfast.!
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

One receptionist telling us upon check-in that we'd have to pay for the night we did not stay, even though cancelation of that night was notified in advance. Another gentleman behind the desk understood the problem and canceled the extra charge. Just think that the other person should have been equally well informed.

rooms were very comfortable,excellent breakfast
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

although in the middle of a drought,not being close to beach it was a shame we could not use the swimming pool especially as we looked out of our window we could see the hotel next door was clearly using their swimming pool.

rooms were very comfortable,excellent breakfast

Nice place to stay in Cape Town!
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Really nothing... Maybe as a proposal more fresh vegetables for breakfast.

Nice location! Close to city center & waterfront - exact what you need in Cape Town. Celebrated our wedding in Cape Town. Spacious studios with nice view and really nice staff! Loved our staying there. Really good breakfast with nice omelet & cappuccino.

Save for the pool misrepresentation the Hotel is great. Perhaps a little more lobby space would do!
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

This property is advertised as having a swimming pool! At the time of our stay the pool was not functional and looked completely abandoned. Not nice!

Great staff!

Excellent experience
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

I suggest that you should add more options on the restaurant's menu.

Love everything about the place, quiet neighbourhood. Apartments were spacious,very clean & comfortable. We felt at home

Excellent experience
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

I suggest that you should add more options on the restaurant's menu.

Loved everything about the place, quiet neighbourhood.Very friendly staff & excellent service.Apartments were spacious, very clean & comfortable. We felt at home

Disappointing.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The staff was rude and unhelpful. I had dirty water coming out of my taps, so I could not have a bath/shower. Someone was meant to come fix it and didn't. I was extremely inconvenienced and the management did nothing to rectify/compensate me. Under the bed was extremely dirty and had not been cleaned

My partner and I stayed at a one bed apartment, we loved it...
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

We would prefer a room on the upper levels next time because of the noise made by people (pedestrians) especially early in the morning. We were on the first floor.

My partner and I stayed at a one bed apartment, we loved it so much! Very spacious and super clean, everything we needed was there! It has a personal and home feel then the hotels we've stayed in before! We will definitely come back to this hotel! Breakfast was superb! We also enjoyed our dinner! On both nights we had steak fillet! It was so succulent! Compliments to the chef! The waitress, I have forgotten her name was super friendly, a young xhosa lady. The property is also central, we enjoyed our walks to the waterfront. I had the best birthday weekend thanks.

It's like home during my business travel.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

I would hope the wifi connection can be steadier

Breakfast is amazing. The staff is super nice and helpful. The location is great if you have a meeting in CTICC, which is only 5 mins walk. And above all, it's in a safe and quiet neighbourhoood.

I'll recommend it to anyone who will come to Cape Town for business.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

We have to log in frequently to the wireless. I hope it can be auto-connected or the same password can be entered automatically.

Breakfast is absolutely fantastic. I feel I could skip lunch and dinner with this big breafast. Omelet is breathtakingly tasty. The staff is super-nice, extremely helpful. We encountered a little problem when we checked in but it was soon sorted out. The room is suprisingly spacious. I've stayed in hotels in Europe and America, and I must say this is the best I ever stayed in. And it's close to CTICC so if you have a meeting to attend there, Protea is highly recommended. It' one block from Long Street, which can be a bit annoying with beggers running after you but Protea is in a safe neighbourhood. Highly recommended.

Very comfortable and convenient at a great rate.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Great value and comfort. We enjoyed the extra space of the apartment and the convenience of being close to the Waterfront. The reception staff were very helpful and check-in was smooth and quick. Breakfast was included and it was a good spread.

It was OK.
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

The welcome by reception was not appropriate. When we had a query about the price she did not assist us in a professional manner.

The bed was comfortable. When we asked for extra hour after check put time they allowed us without charging us

Good accomodation, great breakfast and friendly staff
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

It needs some renovation, the extra payment for parking wasn't disclosed and is quiet ridiculous actually and the beggars outside made it difficult to walk in peace to the pizza place literally 20m from the front door

Good accomodation, great breakfast and friendly staff

A wonderful hotel with wonderful staff
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

The staff was extraordinarily friendly and helpful! They kindly modified our non-refundable reservation after our flight was delayed by one day. We arrived early in the morning and before the check-in time, but they took us to the gym where we could change and freshen up before heading out into the city. The breakfast selection was huge and the food excellent. Our room was a suite with kitchen, living room, large bathroom with tub and shower, and a terrace overlooking the city. The rooftop pool with view of Table Mountain was the perfect place to relax after a long day sightseeing.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

Protea Noth Wharf Experience
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

WLAN was NOT working or not reliably, this was a major problem and free WLAN was a main reason for choosing this hotel. I would NOT recommend this hotel to others because of this problem - so fix it.

Friendly and supportive front desk personnel

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

The location.

Nothing at all.

The location. The huge rooms ( they seem more to be real appartments than rooms) the proximity to CTICC. Above all: the friendliness of all the members of the staff.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Pleasant stay + Fabulous location
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

Staff were helpful, however, they could have been better at providing the relevant touristic information. Overall, they did try to help in the end, but they were always busy and distracted with other guests. No shops around the area, except two restaurants only.

Amazing breakfast, great location. Absolutely loved my stay because of its convenient location. A very quick and easy 15 minute walk to the V&A Waterfront. Apartment were very clean and spacious with modern decor and furniture. Great Mediterranean restaurant right opposite the hotel.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

Perfect size rom, Perfect location, Perfect staff, Perfect breakfast
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

Expensive lunch or dinner at the restaurant but this was not a problem since the hotel was in a walking distance to many cafes and restaurants

Perfect size rom, Perfect location, Perfect staff, Perfect breakfast

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Very good and quiet hotel.
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

Very good and quiet hotel.The staff is highly efficient. I would like to particularly thank Miss KHOLISWA working at front desk who I found most helpful and and friendly.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

All in all It was Amazing from the friendly stuff to the beautiful spacious room.
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

Breakfas could taste abit better.For one I ordered an omelette on 2different days Sun and Mon and specify what I would like inside of it bt they also added Green n red peppers n onions which i seriously and didnt request.Then Mon i specify that I do not like them and specify once again the fillings I would like on it.N to my surprise the ONIONS which not even fried where added.So was not too happy about that.And Some of the Restaurant stuff could try to look friendly by smiling abit.

Like the room very much; was spacious felt like a house than a hotel thus ideal for me and myhusband n toddler.Staff very friendly and helpful when require suggestions about tour guides and tourist attraction places.Love the pool on thw roof top was also not too evn at the deep end which I like because wanted to swim with my toddler.love fact that had bath tub and a shower beacuse bath tub ideal when bathng a toddler. Bed was vry comfoy like fact that they had kutchen with everythng from oven to fridge and most importantly iron and ironing board and didnt have to call for an iron every time we had to go out.Love fact the room had air con which ws so easy to operate from cold to warm.Like the fact that to go up to you room have to use your access room card in rhe elevator that security provided peace of mind in regards to safetu and security especially if you have a toddler like me.I apprecite such.Like fact that they have a gym.Like the fact that they where able to reserve our Xmas dinner as we had requested before we left for 1of our tour.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Excellent studio offering great value for money
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Nothing really - keep up the good work!

Spacious, well-designed studio apartment, about one km from the V&A Waterfront. Restaurants close-by. Good room service.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Amazing would go back today!
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

should advise before hand that their is an extra cost for parking.

Kholiswa at reception gave exceptional service, all staff were great but she truly went the extra mile.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Excellent experience.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Breakfast not as grand at the chain next door, but the scrambled eggs were cooked softly to perfection.

Super spacious apartment with everything you need. I normally stay at a chain next door, but will make this my prefered option from now on. Good location to the V&A. You can walk or get a short cheap cab ride there.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Good location Decent breakfast Big rooms

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

The only issue of this hotel is small and under-quipped gym.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The only issue of this hotel is small and under-quipped gym. Everything else is excellent.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

Convenient and spacious
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The location is rather commercial and lacking charm.

Nice breakfast and very spacious, with helpful staff. So pretty good.

Excellent !
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

Good location. Nice staffs.

Travel lodge style

Safe location in a nice area

Had to ask to be put into a better room, the original room...
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Had to ask to be put into a better room, the original room was very poor.

Extremely satisfied with my stay at the hotel.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

TV channels. More channels could be added.

The bed was extremely comfortable.

The stay was wonderful the staff friendly and the rooms clean and neat we will be back

More info on places to see. Need maps of Capet

Easy and friendly

Nice bed nice breakfast
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The windows not work well. Check in took hours because the room cleaning had not finished....

Nice bed nice breakfast

Great hotel!
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Great location, pretty apartment, great breakfast, helpful staff who go out of their way to help!

Better then I expected and friendly staff.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Pool had no water but understandably no ☔️

All great but hard to find even with GPS.

The staff for the dinner, was very slow.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The staff for the dinner, was very slow.

The room space and amenities were excellent.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The room space and amenities were excellent. Staff were exceptional

Very good for family with little kids

Exceptional croissants!

Was ok.lovwd the space and balcony
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Old and used furniture.very outdated.wooden floor lifting.

Space and balcony

Spacious apartments within a great location easily accessible.

The restaurant was too small sometimes we had to wait long for a table at breakfast

The breakfast was good

The room was jus perfect
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The restaurant can be a bit more viby

The room was jus perfect

Nice

The pool was empty

The cleanness

The food wasn't up to standard and same menu for...
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The food wasn't up to standard and same menu for breakfast which is tiring when booked for days

Comfy bed

Staff

Comfy bed

Comfortable
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Taxi which was recomended by hotel not reliable we got cheated . Refuse to use meter

Close to the convention center

Food

Food

Ideal for Business stay

Comfortable

ECELLENT!
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

WE DID NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEM.

ECELLENT!! FIRST STAY. LOCATION PERFECT! FOOD EXCELLENT! LOVELY APARTMENT!!! WILL DEFNITELY COME AGAIN!!

Good place in Cape Town
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Big apartment for family stay with yummy breakfast

Will always return

Staff excellent

Wi-fi was bad

Wi-fi was bad

Very spacious room with a lot of light

Very spacious room with a lot of light

Great accommodation and big rooms
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Cheese at breakfast was old

Very central in Cape Town- conveniently located

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Excellent choice
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The appartment was very spacious, very clean and comfortable. Staff very kind and assisting. Summary: Excellent experience

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Extremely comfortable, quiet, great service.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Extremely comfortable, quiet, great service.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

Nice hotel
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

Great breakfast plenty of choice

Protea Northwarf central in city. But terrible staff and wifi.
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

Staff and wifi were terrible.

The room.

Spacious n comfortable.
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

U need xtra porters. Security assisted us on check in.

Spacious n comfortable. Mini kitchen. All in one. 2 nice u need. Staff very friendly

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Our total stay at this hotel was 5 nights, the last 4 with...
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

Our total stay at this hotel was 5 nights, the last 4 with our tour group.

wonderful - but not a 4 star wifi

but not a 4-star wifi

apartment style room, very comfortable

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Very roomy

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Location and comfort
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The gym is a bit too small.

Location and comfort

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

I had a one bedroom apt, complete with full kitchen...
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

I had a one bedroom apt, complete with full kitchen including a washing machine! convenient to the convention center.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Great place and location , very clean , good food and good staff

Nothing at all

Generally everything was good

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

The furniture in the lounge is extremely uncomfortable.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The furniture in the lounge is extremely uncomfortable. The seats on both the sofa and the chairs were very hard.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

Excellent studio offering great value for money
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

Very good value for money, clean and comfortable

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

The hotel is confortable and has good localization.

the decorration

The hotel is confortable and has good localization.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Great hotel in the middle of Cape Town

Poor gym.

Super location, very well appointed apartments. Very friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

Great stay for family
    • One-Bedroom Fountain Facing Apartment

Wifi connection was not the best.

The apartments are spacious and staff is really friendly and helpful. The environment is like home.