Reviews of Protea Hotel by Marriott Stellenbosch 3 stars

Techno Avenue, 7600 Stellenbosch, South Africa

#28 of 37 hotels in Stellenbosch

Pleasant
    • Standard Twin Room

The Wifi in the rooms didn't work. Neither for me, nor for my neighbors.

The rooms are very spacious and clean. Very nice breakfast buffet. Staff is very friendly.

The breakfast included is so good.
    • Deluxe Room

The breakfast included is so good. The best omelettes I’ve had! The staff were so friendly and made us feeel very comfortable. We felt very safe and the hotel was beautiful with an amazing mountain backdrop

Good family stay if cape townians are not wanting to go too far for reasonable value.
    • Deluxe Room

Had the rooms facing away from valley. Solar powered heated pool wasn't warm at all, could b due to season even tho weather was 20c. Gym closed over weekends. Small amenities were missing tissues, cutlery and cleaning stuff, altho was promptly provided when requested.

The deluxe room's modern, comfy and spacious. Hotel feels secure. Good scrumptious breakfast with stunning views over winelands valley and hottentots hollands mountains. Braai facilities a plus. Prompt room service.

Was average, expected better from Protea
    • Standard Twin Room

Rooms terribly noise, WiFi in room poor. Mattress needs replacing Tv on wall could be on a swivel. Main bar does not serve cocktails, crazy When school sports teams are in same hotel maybe keep them together and put guests away from the chaos.

Breakfast view great

wish I had time to linger longer - would then stay in a room with a view and a king size bed!
    • Standard Twin Room

room contained twin beds instead of double bed requested via booking

exceptional service excellence throughout by friendly and professional staff, wonderful location

relaxing and luxurious.
    • Standard Twin Room

The black worms that crawled into the room, especially at night. I put a towel at the bottom of the door to keep them out but some still got in. Not very nice to experience.

The bed was big and extra comfy. The room was spacious and had all we required. The room service and staff were ver quick to react.

Comfortable, and somewhat more than average.
    • Standard Twin Room

Some many small black worms every where in the room. I could get a De Lux room, and had to do with s Standsrd room.

Friendliness and professionalism of the staff.

The size of the room was a nice size and bed was very...
    • Deluxe Room

On the day of checking in the hotel's phone lines were down and there was no way to communicate with the hotel - this was not conveyed on any website or social media page. The breakfast, which was included in the price, was mediocre at best and the restaurant was poorly managed. Our room wasn't serviced at all and the cleaner only came at 13:40 to see if she could clean our room.

The size of the room was a nice size and bed was very comfortable. Parking was convenient and the hotel went to a lot of effort to accommodate ways that guests could save water.

Great foods and good value
    • Standard Twin Room

Our room is on the second floor, which no elevator and small passage. Not practical if you have big suitcases or people from oversea. Better to take only what you need to the room.

The foods were really nice, but the service was a bit slow. Not recommend if you have a limit of time.

Quality stay in the area.

Nothing much....

Melvin was amazing in helping is check in at 1:30 am in the early hours on satirday morning - despite a delay in receiving the booking.com resservation.

saturdays breakfast was great and pastries and croissants...
    • Deluxe Room

saturdays breakfast was great and pastries and croissants freshly baked. Pastries however sunday was bit older. Previous day batch maybe? But will defenately stay there again!

Amazing time at this hotel, executive rooms were absolutely lovely, and the breakfasts were GREAT!
    • Executive Suite

There wasn't much I didn't like, but if I had to think of something, I would say that the pool had no atmosphere - which was a little disappointing. But, I didn't end up having much time to spend at the pool anyway.

The executive rooms were new, and AMAAAAZING... beautifully decorated with a stand alone bath. Cannot recommend this room / this hotel enough. The staff were exceptionally friendly and were accomodating for everything - including pressing my suit, even though I had missed their laundry collection time, which I appreciated so much as I needed them the next day for a wedding I was attending.

comfortable and convenient.
    • Deluxe Room

The view from our room was disappointing as we expected to be in a room overlooking the vineyards.

They respected that we ate halaal food and prepared the breakfast for us in a separate cooking area from where the non halaal breakfast was prepared. The view from the breakfast room was amazing. The staff in the restaurant were very obliging.

I will not return
    • Deluxe Room

Although I paid in full for the accommodation they sill require a credit card for a further R 2000 in case I had a drink Breakfast was average no salt a pepper on table no butter available on the Sunday

It was ok.
    • Standard Twin Room

The fact that I asked for 1-double bed and I got 2 single beds. I called reception. They said they no other room for us. And would push the bed together. So kept falling between the 2 beds.

Breakfast was good

Not as good as expected.
    • Standard Twin Room

Staff was not very helpful, wifi was not working most of the time, big windows facing main alley and pool area - didn't feel comfortable nor private.

Very good breakfast- loads of choices, fresh, buffet was being filled up constantly, quite good location- close to numerous vineyards, beautiful view from restaurant, rooms are clean and spacious- definitely met our expectations.

the stay was good , will definitely return in due cause , breakfast excellent
    • Standard Twin Room

very little , could change from what i did experience, my first time at protea hotel , maybe upgrade on tv viewing ,wasnt so good

everything was comfortable , good just a break away from everything and everyone

It was really nice staying there
    • Executive Suite

The beautiful view. Friendly staff. Nice room. We didn't asked for anything,but the staff somehow found out that we got married and got us Champaign and chocolate

Great value for money in a beautiful setting.
    • Standard Twin Room

The WiFi was a nightmare! Kept being logged off every few minutes and we had 3 rooms and stayed a week. They would give us voucher numbers whenever we wished- but you’d need to register for WiFi whenever you picked up your phone again! Breakfast was good but same every day. Reception messed up my mothers wake up call and taxi collection time: called her at 4:00am not 7:00am! Cleaners should collect dirty dishes from outside of rooms quicker. But other than WiFi this hotel is great.

Comfortable bed, blacked out Curtains, AC worked really well, clean rooms, quiet rooms even though the hotel was very busy, staff at front desk and room staff were very friendly, the food in the two restaurants for lunch and dinner was excellent. Big shout out to Vuvu in the restaurant- a joyful way to start each morning was being served by her! Hotel is in a beautiful setting and short drive to main wineland hot spots.

Technically good but we did not feel valued as customers.
    • Standard Twin Room

We had no hot water in the room for 2 of the 3 days. Technical staff only attended to this after 27 hours. Management did not respond verbally to this matter at all e.g. with an acknowledgement of inconvenience.

Room / breakfast

My stay was perfect.
    • Deluxe Room

Cocktails at the lappa at the pool area a bit pricey. Didn't like the shift staff having to find own transport at midnight.

Like the buffet breakfast, love the many seating areas on the outside, love the music and cocktails at the pool area. Love how quick the front desk request turned into action. Love the view.

Good value for money, large room (deluxe), friendly staff.
    • Deluxe Room

A minor point: at my early check out (6:00 am) the receptionist was not able to cancel the deposit, so they had to call me back in the morning to provide credit card information

Good value for money, large room (deluxe), friendly staff. You can park your car just in front of your room. The bar is offering a good choice of meals and a very nice view. The room was clean, but there might be insects getting into your room.

The facilities were quite good including an Olympic sized...
    • Standard Twin Room

We requested early check-in before arrival and this was not arranged by the time we arrived. We also requested a double bed but received twin beds. This was only fixed on day 2 after the 2nd request.

The facilities were quite good including an Olympic sized swimming pool and a volleyball court. There are 2 restaurants on site which made for greater variety.

The pool, breakfast and restaurant
    • Standard Twin Room

The hotel was generally good though there was some strange smell in a room and the room decoration seemed a little so-so, meaning that it was not done with professional respect to designers work. Our major issue was that a hotel employee instead of blocking the total sum on the credit card accidentally charged it. When we checked out they made a refund but due to bad conversion FX rate from RUB to ZAR we lost approximately 25 bucks. We wrote an email to the hotel and they took 5 working days to deal with the issue, now they simply ignore our letters. Seems that Marriott will never be our place to stay anywhere in the world unless the issue is resolved. It is clearly a mistake of a hotel employee and it is strange that the hotel network thinks that it is ok to force a client to pay for it.

The pool, breakfast and restaurant

Wish we could stay longer, great hotel!
    • Deluxe Room

The parking is very cramped, was afraid to bump into the cars next to you.

The breakfast was excellent and the food in the restaurant great value for money. Great location with beautiful views and spacious rooms. Friendly, professional staff overall.

The view
    • Standard Twin Room

Lights not working. Towels removed while at breakfast couldn't have a shower. Not even a towel to dry ur hands. No chairs on balcony. Other Protea's much higher standard

The view

Very good. Will come back!
    • Standard Twin Room

Very friendly staff - from reception to waiters, etc. Everyone had a friendly word. Excellent breakfast spread. Centrally located to visit nearby vineyards and other places of interest. Family friendly.

It was very pleasant and will definitely recommend the hotel and keep going back
    • Standard Twin Room

The ability to change my booking using my prokard voucher as I had not selected the correct booking site to redeem my voucher when doing the online reservation I accept that it was a mistake on my part but it was a genuine error which could not be corrected at the hotel

Free Upgrade to Standard room to available Deluxe facility The breakfast has a wonderful spread 2 restaurants to choose from when having dinner Location in close proximity to local markets and wine farms and supermarkets

A last minute booking which saved the day as previous accommodation was not up to standard!
    • Standard Twin Room

Had a bad experience with the transport but the staff once complaint was given were more than happy to compensate us for the bad experience we had.

Friendly staff and very efficient, food was good and very reasonable and room was comfortable, clean and spacious.

One of us got bitten by something in the room - we think...
    • Standard Twin Room

One of us got bitten by something in the room - we think something from the big pillow on the bed. We had to get medication from a chemist. After 6 days the rash is not completely gone. Our staff did give us another room (which we appreciated a lot).

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Best Hospitality Ever!
    • Standard Twin Room

Honestly nothing. Would love to get a view of an upstairs room next time.

The friendly staff! From the Reception staff down to the Security Guards. The Chefs to the waiters. We felt really welcome. I am in awe of the service at this place. It's all about the patron. I needed some quiet time from the hustle and bustle of the city and I couldn't have chosen a better place. I would come back again,on my own if I had to. I've never felt so welcome at a place before. You guys are doing something right.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Your hotel staff at reception and at the cultivar restaurant...
    • Standard Twin Room

The only damper was,the guests did not have options regarding the dstv,it should be their choice. The hotel room is a little outdated for such a brilliant reception,the furniture needs to be changed and the room more colourful,was a little dull,overall experience,was awesome

Your hotel staff at reception and at the cultivar restaurant was extremely professional and friendly,even up to your waiters as they seem to know how to bring the cutlery around,not over the cclient,but around your client,excellent,Byron at reception,was extremely the perfect person one would like to see especially as a first time guest,then Lionel at the restaurant was extremely the perfect head of house,. We will definitely book again at your hotel

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Love this place.
    • Deluxe Room

Breakfast buffet overpriced. Wifi poor.

Loved the spacious unit, the embience, beautiful panorama, peaceful surrounding, atmosphere of Die Wynland, lovely couches on the patio.....

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

wont stay there in a hurry again.
    • Standard Twin Room

The check in was stressful, the staff were not very helpful and friendly, no one really knew what was going on, no hot water in my room on the first night. service was slow, asked for clean towels which i never received.

I liked the comfy bed and tv in the room. the restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful.

Great stay in Stellenbosch!!
    • Standard Twin Room

It took a long time to fix the problem with the safe in our room (L8). One night in the buffet dining room we sat at a table that was not properly cleaned (the dining room was empty at that time).

Things have changed
    • Standard Twin Room

There was no welcome note - we had to ask for bottle of water from reception. We felt as though the hotel was not ready for us. The shower looked like it needed some upgrade. The stay was not like previous times at Stellenbosch PH.

Location has always been good.

The location , size of the deluxe room and views were...
    • Deluxe Room

The deluxe room didn't have a coffee machine and there were only 2 sachets of terrible coffee provided for the stay. Similarly, the room was stocked with minimal toiletries for 2 people. We had to share one small shower gel. The breakfast was very average and the hotel does. not in fact have a gym. A gym offsite and a good 500 meters down the road (and also closed on Sunday) does not count.

The location , size of the deluxe room and views were excellent

Lovely stay in Stellenbosch for disabled persons
    • Deluxe Room

Disabled rooms are placed at the furthest point from the hotels facilities which to me is ridiculous as assistance has to be requested all the time to reach them. Bathroom facilities were not working properly which is always frustrating for me.

As a disabled person the staff were very helpful with assisting me with various needs that I had.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

3 day stay Feb '17
    • Deluxe Room

The pool was mediocre in size and there were no signs or posters about the poolside bar being closed. The patio area by the French doors could be vastly improved by providing some chairs and privacy from neighbours and security patrols.

The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean and well resourced.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Terrible if you're after somewhere relaxing WITHOUT screaming kids
    • Standard Twin Room

This place should emphasize that they are a FAMILY hotel - it's FULL of kids and the rooms are standalone townhouse type buildings. Not a standard hotel at all. Our room was facing onto a jumping castle that had kids screaming all day til about 10pm. Not relaxing at all.. go here with kids but avoid if not.

Location in stellenbosch is great

Great location but expensive and not include breakfast
    • Standard Twin Room

My rate was quite expensive and did not include breakfast. The gym is not within the facility.Had to travel out though not far...should have been specified

The location and kiddies play and pool area for my son

To clean the corridors and entrance of the buildings leading...
    • Standard Twin Room

To clean the corridors and entrance of the buildings leading to the room. Train the staff in the restaurant a la carte. waiting 1hour for 1 pizza margherita is not normal

Nice location shame about the food
    • Deluxe Room

The quality of the food in the main restaurant was very poor. Quality in the a la carte restaurant was better but speed of delivery was appalling. We dont blame the waiters who were lovely but total absence of manager not acceptable. They seriously need to up their game: detracts from the Marriott name and reputation

Location good for visiting places

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

What a nice suprise!
    • Deluxe Room

Nothing really. The place exceeded the expectations for the price!

The room was very clean and spacious (luxury one) with a separate sitting area. It was well furnished. The bed (and a sofa!) were VERY comfortable to sleep on. The bed was large and had very nice duvets and for once really good pillows (I am always very picky abt too hard pillows). Cotton sheets, nice accessories. Overall very impressed (after staying the previous night in another 5 star establishment) and will definitely stay there again if on a flying visit to Stellenbosch.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

the hotel was nice and comfortable, with everything we...
    • Standard Twin Room

We arrived at the time we stated we would be there, and nothing was ready for us. We had a wedding we needed to go to, but nothing was ready for us to check in and we had to wait for over an hour

the hotel was nice and comfortable, with everything we needed and expected. Very happy other than our arrival delay

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

I asked for a double bed and we got 2 singles, this was...
    • Standard Twin Room

I asked for a double bed and we got 2 singles, this was changed later. The wind was bad in the afternoon when we got their and it made a terrible noice. The sliding door was off the railing and my husband fixed it.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

Nice location but the place did not impress me.
    • Standard Twin Room

Housekeeping was not brilliant. Dirty dishes standing on the floor in front of the unit next to us for a day, and the next day was replaced with empty water bottles and bedding which was just laying outside for a day. The place did not impress me.

Well situated , out of town, in quiet area.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

Service lacking in an otherwise beautiful hotel setting
    • Standard Twin Room

Separate beds in room despite requesting 1 double bed. Breakfast supposed to start at 06:30am. On both days of stay the breakfast was not ready at stated time and we could not wait longer due to early morning meeting and did not have a full breakfast. Ordered room service on one night and the wrong meal was brought. The spa reception does not answer phone.

Beautiful setting and view from room.

Very good value for money

Excellent stay

The process of making a booking.
    • Deluxe Room

The process of making a booking. And had requested something additional , no response was received if hotel is able to assist with my request.

Big rooms and geat facilities.
    • Standard Twin Room

Big rooms and geat facilities. Breakfast was amazing with a stunning view.

All in all it was a pleasant stay & ive enjoyed it.
    • Standard Twin Room

The room needs to be moped with water because you could actually see the dirt on the floor.

The staff was friendly

Lovely clean hotel with beautiful views
    • Standard Twin Room

Had calamari was a little tasteless!!

Bed very comfy. Lovely views. Food portion sizes excellent!

Clean nice rooms great breakfast

Clean nice rooms great breakfast

Enjoyable
    • Deluxe Room

Was disappointed that the swimming pool was not heated. I called before I booked and was assured that it was heated.

Great value for money!
    • Deluxe Room

Deluxe room modern and spacious especially with for us traveling with children. Kitchenette also a big plus.

The bed was lop sided - it felt like I was going to roll off...
    • Deluxe Room

The bed was lop sided - it felt like I was going to roll off when sleeping. The previous occupant used the trash bin to shore up the bed

I like everything.
    • Deluxe Room

I like everything.... the staff , the food, the facilitites.... i had a very nice stay....Thanks Alot

Below expectancy.
    • Standard Twin Room

The set up of the hotel. Why are the rooms not part of the building. Bonani was extremely rude and unhelpful.

View

Horrible stay was very happy was only for 1 nightmares
    • Standard Twin Room

Everything from the room to the restaurant

Nothing the rooms are small and no fridge bathroom horrible was not impressed at all.

Wonderful
    • Standard Twin Room

Not being able to bath I suppose that keeps us hummble

Location Friendliness Help from parking attendants Room with outside stoep

• Standard Twin Room

Beautiful setting loved the location

Brilliant

Views

Pool

Room

Pool

Good stay but dissapointed with service levels in the al a carte restaurant and the bar..
    • Standard Twin Room

No sun umbrellas by pool area and bar not open.

Nice laout

Ok

No WiFi in my room

Good breakfasts

Enjoyed our stay and will be back
    • Standard Twin Room

The bed was extremely comfortable and the breakfast very good. The room was clean and the staff friendly.

Good relaxing four days. Good access to the vineyards

Internet allocation

Good, spacious rooms.

Was in a non-smoking room but it smelled like a smoking room.
    • Standard Twin Room

Was in a non-smoking room but it smelled like a smoking room.

Great room, awesome views & the restaurants were very...
    • Standard Twin Room

No hot water for the shower!

Great room, awesome views & the restaurants were very agreeable.

the room was comfortable
    • Deluxe Room

There was no bottled water in our room. Our room was not cleaned while we were out and we had to request clean towels and toilet paper.

Easy, comfortable, clean will stay at protea again

Sour waitress at breakfast

lovely reception staff

Awesome Awesome...Could come back anytime..Love it.

Nothing....

Beds comfy and a peacful place to be...

Fantastic large rooms