Reviews of Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Victoria Junction 4 stars

Cnr Somerset & Ebenezer Roads, 8001 Cape Town, South Africa

#90 of 152 hotels in Cape Town

A very nice and clean room.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Wifi was very poor. Difficult to connect and then slow when on-line. As I was travelling on business, this was quite an inconvenience.

A very nice and clean room. Helpful staff. I had to leave a day early due to a change of plans and even though I didn't check-out until after 13.00, I wasn't charged for the night, as other hotels might have done.

Very new and clean.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The Wi-Fi really does not work. The staff were not helpful about it. Breakfast is not included and is expensive.

Very new and clean. The location is reasonable and close to the waterfront. Right outside the hotel it can be a little sketchy. It is a good value.

The service was great.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The two single beds that were joined to make a single bed didn't work too well. The bed was uncomfortable at the join of the two beds. My requests through Booking.com did not filter through to the hotel.

The service was great. Room was clean and tidy.

One of many Protea Hotels in Capetown that is located in Vic Junc area
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Location can be dangerous at night, so be vigilant. Some criminals may try to profile you when you enter. Breakfast is monotonous. Restaurant has meager selection. No dedicated concierge service. Beds are quite small. No complimentary water everyday. Request to open a tab for all your incidentals. They dont do it automatically.

Hotel and room interior are very nice-industrial modern. Hallways are big and beautiful. Very close to some nice local stores, restaurants and clubs-literally walking distance. Chauffer and taxi service is reliable and safe - Please consider using them.

Acceptable, but things can be improved
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Noisy, poor windows don’t help, the most important - internet doesn’t work which is a killer of the whole stay.

The colors of the room, bed is very comfortable, restaurant serving nice food.

Location to water front was great, shuttle bus to and from...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We had a twin room and the beds were pretty much pushed together due to the bed side tables being fixed to the wall. A little more space would have been nice.

Location to water front was great, shuttle bus to and from is very useful. Maybe another time slot needs to be added for a return to hotel considering it’s only 5 mins away.

Reasonably clean, comfortable but faily expensive eg stayed at Beacon Island for similar price
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

water wastage - takes ages for water to warm up (shower) - carpets tired and cement floor dining room a bit cold in terms of ambiance

Comfortable bed -

Weird
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

This hotel need to be audited. My statements were in a mess and the receptionist tried to convince me that she did not take a R10 000.00 hold on the account. They then called me to demand that I pay immediately when I extended my stay. It was only when I told the duty manager that I will report this that my account was sorted out. This really spoiled my stay and I may not use the Protes Marriot again.

The location and cleanliness

I was booked into a two separate single beds room and I...

Nothing I can recall.

I was booked into a two separate single beds room and I approahced the reception desk for an exchange into a double bed room - it was done with no hassles and we enjoyed our stay.

All in all a lovely stay, particularly made special by the lovely hotel staff.
    • Loft Room with Double Bed

No pool facilities and we needed to be mindedful of water usage.

We loved the location, room, facilities and customer service offered by the hotel staff, however the fact that Cape Town is currently experiencing a drought, and we could not use the pool facilities did not make our stay as special as we would have liked. We will book the hotel again in the future.

Comfortable rooms, great location for business, recently...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I got a little irritated by the staff who didn't know how to connect to the wifi. Got transferred from pillar to post without anybody knowing how to connect. When I finally got connected the internet was little slow.

Comfortable rooms, great location for business, recently revamped.

Absolute not worth the money and stressfull. Could not even eat breakfast - must pay for it upfont?

Already done

Absolute nightmare week end! Absolute not worth the money 0- street noise was something no one can be comfortable with - absolute stressful situation. After we asked for a non street room 1 year ago personally in person visiting Cape Town.

The position is very good in between the Waterfront and...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The internet connection was very weak and kept disconnecting. It was almost impossible to use it without getting interrupted by the absence of signal multiple times. The position is a definitely a plus but it happens to be on a street where it’s better not to walk at night unless you like to be constantly harassed by people.

The position is very good in between the Waterfront and downtown making it easy to walk to many interesting places

Not impressed !!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Definitely not value for money !!!! Paying Nine Thousand rand for three nights, with NO meals included is an absolute rip off !!! What did I get for my money ?Not IMPRESSED

We loved being so centrally located and were very comfortable.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We were not provided with a TV remote and asked twice to get one...still didn’t get it! Thought it was strange that we were placed in a wheelchair access room - didn’t like the low sink etc!

Location was tops. All the staff were so polite and friendly such a credit to Victoria Junction. Loved the cuppacino!!

The location is excellent as a base in the city.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The Check in process got off to a bad start. The lady had a terrible attitude and was not engaging at all when I asked questions regarding my stay.

The location is excellent as a base in the city. It's close to many of the attractions.

6.0
    Overall average
    • Loft Room with Double Bed

Not being told swimming pool was out of action when we had booked this hotel 6 months in advance. Also being told it was stated on the web site when is was not and booking.com not telling us as well.

Bed comfortable

What I expected for the rating and money - not exceptional.

I knew it was on a main road but it was still a bit noisier that I expected. Had a few problems with the shower.

The loft room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. I also liked the location - within easy walking distance of the V&A. Being able to book the hotel shuffle for transfers was also handy.

Location was good.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Nice hotel for a work or business trip. NOT for a romantic weekend away. Booked for my anniversary and the pictures don’t show you that the rooms like sort out like an office with a formal Desk and chair. For the price of the hotel there are many better hotels to accommodate MY type of stay.

Location was good. Clean rooms. Easy access to main roads. Check in was prompt

Met my expectations and more!
    • Loft Room with Double Bed

Breakfast. Needs improvement. Food bland, not much options especially if youre Muslim/Vegetarian/ Vegan/ Jewish etc. Also one station for omlettes where bacon is fried on. We skipped breakfast on most days, definitely not worth R195. Coffee was really bad.

It was my birthday and the hotel sent some champagne and cake up to my room, loved that! Staff were friendly and helpful. Especially Papa at the bar. I loved the wasabi mash served at the restaurant. Its a must try! Ordered it thrice with the steak. Delicious. The loft apartments exceeded my expectations.

Will come back.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Love the place and will come back, eating diner inside the hotel was a pleasure, great Food. Staff also have been very cheerful, and friendly.

Really enjoyed our stay
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

We had an amazing suite! Everything was provided and we had a lovely time staying at the hotel! We arrived earlier than check in time, which made it a bit tricky but the hotel were willing to let us check in as soon as the room is ready.

Good overall stay. Recommend loft rooms but not many available!
    • Loft Room with Double Bed

Check in very slow and not very helpful. Eventually got into the room at 2.45pm. Not the hotel’s fault but we had arrived into CPT on a very early flight and were quite tired. Had asked for an earlier check in but not possible. Check out efficient.

Loft room spacious and airy. Bed very comfortable. Rooms and bathroom very clean.

all in all the place feels claustrophobic with staff that do not really care about the experience
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Service is lack-lusture. You have to ask several times for the same thing. They closed the swimming pool due to water restrictions, but the did not pre-inform us even though we booked well in advance. The lounge area is a sad area. The Internet is beyond pathetic. Every time you have to go through a long log-in which fails most of the time. When it works it is super slow an constantly disconnects.

Good location an great parking

Ok city hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

They let us wait when we arrived. When you’re on the first floor you have a lot of noise from the breakfast room. Swimming pool facilities supposed to be great on the picture, but in reality rather poor.

Location is good and the beds were very good. Also the breakfast is really good.

Would definitely go back there
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was nice but far too pricey.

Location is great, walking distance from the waterfront and long street. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. Because we stayed over a week, we got a free upgrade and had a cool loft on the top floor. Overall, a great experience!

It was a shelter away from home!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

1. Room Keys kept deactivating thus had to go downstairs everytime to reactivate everytime I return 2. Restaurant on the facility did not have variety 3. On arrival, parking was not clearly visible 4. Breakfast was overpriced 5. The pool was not working 6. The bar had 0 ambiance

White sheets

Would recommend this hotel to family and friends
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

On this hotel nothing, Loved everything.

The designing of the hotel was amazing something very different to other hotels. The air corn of the passages it was very nice, the stuff very polite and professional. Everything was just on POINT.

Everything was fine except for the confusion in the morning regarding breakfast discount.

The communication between staff when changing shifts especially in the morning.There was no clear direction regarding the breakfast discount whether it was for the entire stay or once off and whether it was per room or per family. Every morning you get different story from the staff members and have to wait for them to confirm with the supervisor.It was annoying and confusing.

The rooms were clean and comfortable.

Hotel was clean, conveniently located in a nice district...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I found the Front Office staff quite unhelpful especially during check in. I had booked two rooms, and I had a print out of the reservation with me. But despite that, I found that the rooms were under different names, mine and my wife's (intended for our teenage daughter), as a result of this, the staff had booked us on different floors, and they were quite unhelpful and acerbic. We took over 30 unhelpful minutes to sort all this out. We finally got two rooms next to each other that were interconnected, great, but the receptionist kept saying they are not interconnected. We literally had to beg for drinking water every day to be brought to the room. Same case with shower gel. Multiple calls for simple things spoil a vacation. Rooms have no space for two suitcases, so one had to be on the floor. We could not even agree on whether I had booked for breakfast, although I had sent a separate email to have this on my room. I thought the staff was rude and unhelpful.

Hotel was clean, conveniently located in a nice district close to the Water Front. Also clean

Beuatiful modern room with modern clean bathroom. R20 for an uber to the waterfront. Nice and close
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

That you had to keep connecting to the wifi each time you got back to the hotel. Other than that, nothing!

We were walked to Beluga for dinner on our first night there by one of the staff. Very nice!

Perfect for someone who wants to just relax & have "me time" away from day to day busy schedules
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I would change nothing so far

Their burgers were succulent Beds comfortable and the rooms gives u that "lay down & relax feeling " the moment you step into it,I wish I had booked for more than just 3 nights.

Friendly and helpful staff at the hotel.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

RE bookings.com: I arrived at the hotel without a booking. Under very personal conditions I had nowhere to go and have been at this hotel before. This time tho it was insanely expensive. The gentleman at reception help me get a booking for 2 nights.m through bookings.com. After i had paid a friend called abd said i could stay with them. Could not have been 10 minutes later. When i went back to the reception for a refund they said they could only refund 1 night and not both. I feel like bookings.com should have at least a grace period to allow forcsuch situations. I will not be using Bookings.com again.

Friendly and helpful staff at the hotel.

Good Location & Bad Housekeeping!!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

towels were yellow, even the new clean ones WiFi is terrible Staff are not up to the name of Marriott from performance and focus specially the front desk people

Location is good Room is good fitted

Bed very comfortable, big room, nice desk, clean bathroom
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Limited internet capacity, and even that not always available. It took more than a day to get a European plug adapter. Breakfast overprised for those used to have small continental European breakfast. No toilet brush.

Bed very comfortable, big room, nice desk, clean bathroom

warm well come, very polite and helpful staff
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

the expensive rate of the breakfast the wi fi is limited

warm well come, very polite and helpful staff the location and the shuttle to the water front

We stayed in the loft rooms as we had stayed in them some 4...
    • Loft Room with Double Bed

We stayed in the loft rooms as we had stayed in them some 4 years ago. They are lovely and spacious with a lounge and kitchen area. I would definitely recommend them. The location is within walking distance to the V & A Waterfront and the hotel also supply a free shuttle there and back on a first come first serve basis. Loved it and will be back.

Disturbed sleep in an 'office' rather than a hotel room.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel is not well designed, the rooms are not sound proof at all. There is a useless large desk in the middle of the room with the hair dryer plugged under the desk. The hair dryer cannot be moved and is nowhere near a mirror. No vanity station either.

Excellent location.

Complete Rip Off
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The TV and WiFi were not working. No one bothered to inform us why they were not working. When we phoned the reception to enquire, the lady who answered the phone was extremely rude and not helpful. On check out day we asked for late check out but when we returned to the hotel after the race, the room was locked. The receptionist activated the key and confirmed that we had requested late check out but the room had been cleaned etc. For they rate the hotel charges per night, it was a complete rip off:(

The room was clean and comfortable

Has potential. Not there yet !!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Staff not very friendly at reception. Had to ask 3 times if we would get an additional bath towel. Not to bothered. Don't know where this Marriott part fits into as it's def not a Marriott standard. We travel throughout Europe and stay at Marriott this is not one!!

Clean rooms. Comfy bed

Good location, nice property in general
    • Loft Room with Double Bed

The loft stairs are very noisy, you can even wake up because the people in the rooms next to you are using them

Good location, nice property in general

Room lovely and spacious, very clean.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Would like a bar fridge in the room which is useful when traveling for personal food needs

Room lovely and spacious, very clean. Staff very polite and helpful and patient! Restaurant provided good quality food and good variety.

Too short but Sweet.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The floor we stayed on was non-smoking however i could smell smoke every night when entering the floor.

The Room was clean and the service and friendlyness of the staff. The Hotel is really nice and located in the heart of the city so easy access to everywhere.

great location and reasonable property with poor management
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Wifi not working in this hotel !! bed is uncomfortable and pillows not good , staff is pushing at the entrance to take taxi .

location , clean , friendly

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Close location to attractions shopping and good restaurants. Food at hotel was excellent and staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was a good size and the bed was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Felt out of place and stared at.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I'm 6'2. The mattress was too short. There seemed to be lots of people in business attire. ie long pants and nice shirt. I was on vacation and was in shorts and a tshirt. I felt as if I was stared at every time I came in.

Steak in the restaruunte was horrible.

Loved the bed - so comfortable
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The view was poor for a superior priced room. I specifically asked for a nice view . That we had to pay R390 for two breakfasts when we had a bowl of porridge and a cup of coffee

Loved the bed - so comfortable

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Satisfactory
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Trash can in bathroom had not been cleaned!rubber gloves & cleaning material left in trash can (photographs available if required).

Location was what I required.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Perfect location to explore Cape Town
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

My only issue is that there were no visible marketing in the room to inform guests about the water crisis in Cape Town, and to request for water to be used sparingly. Please rectify this soonest.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Great Stay in Capetown!

Nothing in particular.

Nice clean Hotel in a good reasonable location. Not far from the V&A Waterfront. The Check in staff were excellent. The Breakfast was Luxurious.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Amazing place in CT
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was good but expensive - Service and Staff perfect - Rooms amazing - Special Thanks to Shandre at the Bar - she made me feel like home !

Our lovely stay at Protea Hotel Victoria Junction in Cape Town
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I wish it was very clear upon booking that the amount excluded breakfast like some other hotels do. I booked assuming breakfast was included. Also I had brought our swimming costumes, though the water problem is beyond their control, we were disappointed not to use the pool facility I wish they have bar fridges in the rooms

On my initial booking I did not indicate that we were staying with our 3 year old daughter. Upon request of a cot and bath, the staff swiftly secured us another comfortable room. Our returning boarding tickets were printed and swiftly by Siyanda and he brought them to our room. That was awesome service and room service at evening replenishing coffee/ tea supply was very lovely

The location was great and proximity to the places I had in...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The reception from the hotel employees could have been a lot warmer. However the location was great for my trip. Very accessible and convenient.

The location was great and proximity to the places I had in mind to visit worked well for me.

Great Location
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

1) Rooms next to Somerset Street is not soundproof but when you switch the aircon on it help to soundproof outside noise. 2) Currently the swimingpool is closed due to drought in the area 3) The closet is a bit small to store suitcases

1) Hotel is near the Waterfront 2) Beds is very comfortable. 3) Its located at a MyCity bus stop called Gallow Hills make it easy to reach by the My City bus from the airport. 4) The ipod docking station is great if you have an old IPHONE4 (newer iphones uses lightning adaptors)(if you travel with a newer model Iphone take and old to new adaptor along) 5) The writing desk is very comfortable 6) The look and feel in the room is great

We loved our stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There is a lack of service when it comes to the staff in the dining and bar area.

We were upgraded to a loft which was great. The rooms are nice and the food was delicious.

Overall very lovely experience , its was my first Protea hotel stay, and I enjoyed it.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was terrible, and to make matters worse u have to pay for it.

The service as absolutely amazing, the gentle who welcomed us at reception was brilliant , oh and Bonolo at the bar , superb servicce

Pleasant
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The floor carpets were not clean. The services of the rental car company linked to the hotel was terrible. We missed our flight because of their delay and i have not received the refund for the rented car

Breakfast was good especially on Saturday

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

Great location and very trendy feel
    • Loft Room with Double Bed

Room service breakfast was a little disappointing - bread not toasted (we had toaster in room luckily) and no butter. Poached eggs overdone and all just lukewarm.

Lovely spacious loft room !

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Main plus was location close to V&A Waterfront.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Bedding always had a damp feel to it and certain members of the reception staff could do with some training in how to speak to customers.

Main plus was location close to V&A Waterfront. Rooms were OK and breakfast buffet was very good. Basement car park for security and keeping the car cool.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Excellent discovery for a premium Cape Town stay.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I missed having a bar fridge in the room. Unusual for a hotel of this grade?

very convenient and easily accessible location, modern and well appointed.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

The bedrooms are lovely and the cocktails nice
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We waited at the Victoria and Albert Waterfront to be picked up at the designated time for the free shuttle. It did not turn up. We jumped a taxi which was easy but we wasted 25 min waiting for the shuttle.

The bedrooms are lovely and the cocktails nice

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

If convenience of location is your main priority then this is a good option
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The staff were very slow to respond to requests, the rooms were noisy, and the towels and toiletries were not of a high standard.

The location was very convenient, the beds were very comfy.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Needs to be renovated.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Old type noisy and poorly regulated air conditioning. Very poor wi-fi access and you must pay for you traffic after first free 500MB.

Staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

Hotel beautiful. Location great. Service need improvement
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Waited 45 minutes to check in . Room wasn't ready at check in. Waited in the bar area as requested by front counter staff to call . They did not come at all . I had to go back to the ask .

Location is good

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

Likeit a lot, will return

Breakfast expensive like on all other Marriot Hotels I've stayed on

Fantastic design, like an old factory. The room with two floors and a view of the harbour was fantastic. Nice with minikitchen so we could make our own breakfast. Short walk to grocery stores, restaurants and V&A Waterfront with all the shops and harbour with many possibilities for sightseeing

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

Close to waterfront
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

A bit impersonal, but it is a fairly large hotel.

It was fairly close to the Waterfront where we went regularly to eat, although walking at night was not recommended. We could walk to a couple local shops and coffee houses.

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

Average
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

No where to put clothes if staying more than 1 night . no drawers in room at all. Hair dryer under desk and you have to sit on the desk to see into a mirror.

Bed was good,thought room was clean till found cockroach beside bed

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

There are better options in Cape Town. I would not book again this hotel.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The Wi-Fi connection is a lost case, no more than three devices are allowed connect. The connection procedures is complicated, takes ages, Then even before finishing updating my phone applications I run out of connection and credit. I never use the Wi-Fi connection.

Breakfast was never offered or mentioned upon arrival. Despite I had copy of my confirmed booking including Ref. number I was waiting quiet long for the receptionist to crosscheck and give the key of the room.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

We have stayed at this hotel before.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I wished to have the breakfast plan included in the price of the hotel. Since the figure that Booking included was in terms of rands , I did not realize that the plan was not included until I checked out. There was an additional charge of 990 rand added to my account. I was not pleased.

We have stayed at this hotel before. It was a pleasure to be back again.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

Great location but they could have done better
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Guests are given 500mb of wifi to use but during our 3 day stay we could not access the wifi as the process was so complicated. I heard other guests having problems with the wifi as well. Considering the location we didn't have a nice view and looked onto a parking lot.

The location is great and really close to the waterfront. The beds were comfortable and the staff were friendly.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

Grease
    • Loft Room with Double Bed

The look and feel of the restaurant, just needs a bit more upbeat feel considering rest of hotel is great!. The fact the shower took ages to get to a warm temperature on turning on, but did get there!.

The facilities within our room. The friendliness of all of the staff and how happy they were. The price of food and drink at the bar. Location.

You can walk to the waterfront from there
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Both lifts not working, swimming pool poor, smoking facilities poor, breakfast very expensive.

Not a lot. A lot better value for money out there, would not stay there again.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Staff were very customer orientated and helped us with...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The welcome letter was for someone else.... and I didn't get the room that I booked. I booked for a queen room and got 2 single beds.

Staff were very customer orientated and helped us with booking local attractions

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Nice hotel
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Perfect position, very close to the VA water front. Parking lot is adequate. Room space is enough, with a small balcony. Even by the street is still quite.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

Excellent hotel in the heart of Capetown
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Paid parking Limited Internet Our room faced the main road which is very noisy.

Excellent Location in a modern hotel with all we needed for our stay. Staff very helpful.