Reviews of Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers 4 stars

Corner of Corlett Drive & Rudd Road, Illovo, Melrose, 2116 Johannesburg, South Africa

#35 of 90 hotels in Johannesburg

This was my second time staying at this hotel and other than the soup, excellent!
    • Standard King Room

Room service was horrible. I ordered broccoli and Cauliflower soup, on presentation it was some grey salty goo served with an over microwaved sweet bread. Horrible. I was charged nearly R70, I paid a R100 and my change was never returned.

My room was comfortable and quiet. I enjoyed the view of the bowling green.

Favorite place to stay
    • Standard King Room

Cleaning personal is a little bit loud early in the morning already.

The staff is very friendly, hospital and helpful. Late check out was not a problem.

Excellence = Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers
    • Standard King Room

Staff working in the room service were fantastic and very professional! The Reception staff were very friendly and efficient. Checking out was a breeze! They went the extra mile, having left our luggage in storage they delivered our luggage to the Wanderers Club to avoid us getting wet! That is service that makes you want to return.

We enjoyed our stay and the safe surroundings. The gardens are beautiful and green. We used the
    • Standard King Room

The mattress of the double bed was very wobbly. We will choose 2 single beds next time. The gardens are well kept but I wish they would cut and remove the old leaves of the palm trees to give it a new and modern look.

The Shuttle service was very convenient and we appreciated the most. The hotel staff very friendly and helpful.

I like the hotel, largely for its location - I'm a cricket fan!
    • Standard King Room

This was the second Marriott Hotel I had stayed at within three weeks - and in both cases my points were not added to the Rewards scheme - despite my checking on departure that my membership number had been added on to the bill. There really is no point trying to build up rewards and loyalty if the customer has to do hours of work tracing old bills in order to prove that he actually stayed there.

goof

Bed extra soft. Staff kind after the indicated that booking through book .com didn't let them provide room for me . But this sue was soorted

Very enjoyable. The quality of your wi-Fi signal is poor not sure if you have fibre installed?
    • Standard King Room

Extremely poor quality of lamb chops on my second night room service. NO meat, tough, hard gristle very very disappointing compared to the night before. Complete waste of money! You also need to include a nut milk like almond milk for people that are lactose intolerant. This needs to be on offer at the bar as well for coffees and teas. You should add smoked salmon to your continental breakfast, not everyone enjoys roll mops.

Vegetable selection available on Continental breakfast.

Comfy Room
    • Standard King Room

Food took long, occasionally, in the restaurant and was a tad bland. I overheard at checkout that there was a courtesy bus service to shopping centres. This would hv been handy info at check in.

The room was very comfy and clean. The staff were friendly and humourous.

The rooms are standard, quite nice, but not quite luxury...
    • Standard King Room

I was somewhat disappointed at a couple of things. I was surprised there wouldn't be an ATM in the hotel and would have to go a couple of kilometres to go to one. Also, the laundry service was impractical. If you go to reception at 11am, you wouldn't get your laundry back until 7pm the following day, which I think is way too slow. I had no warning of this. Finally, the two nights I stayed the house maids came in hours before the 11am checkout. Surely, they don't need to tidy to change the sheets for new customers until after customers leave.

The rooms are standard, quite nice, but not quite luxury either. The restaurant downstairs was quite affordable that was a bonus, and the location was great for attending the cricket at the Wanderers.

The fact that I couldn't charge my room service meal to...
    • Standard King Room

The fact that I couldn't charge my room service meal to my room account. 3 phone calls later and some guy came my room with a cr card machine. Odd

Would have no hesitation in staying at a Protea /Marriot hotel when I next come to SA.

It was all good.

I thought the choice at breakfast was exceptional probably the best I have experienced. Staff were always engaging pity that SAA staff were at the opposite end of the barometer. It was so convenient to the Wanderers where I spent the first two days of my stay. Special regards to the reception staff especially Cherie and Bella. Yes an excellent stay.

The hotel was convenient and we found the staff helpful -...
    • Standard King Room

The cobblestones were not particularly wheelchair friendly!! A more accessible range of brochures regarding Johannesburg attractions would have been helpful.

The hotel was convenient and we found the staff helpful - especially Priscilla who did everything she could to help us, given that my wife was in great pain and in need of a wheelchair. All staff were extremely courteous. Some were a little vague about the services offered at Reception and in the foyer.

The place is good enough to relax and being away from the people. Not recommended for exploring
    • Standard King Room

the location is a far from anything you want to do in Johannesburg except some malls like Sundton mall. The complements tools as the water boler is very very dirty

Staff are friendly, the place is good to relax for 2 days

Wonderful hotel, always stay here for work because it is...
    • Standard King Room

Please don't spam me over email until I answer your questionnaire. Thanks.

Wonderful hotel, always stay here for work because it is close to my daughter. Will be back time and time again.

pleasant and good location
    • Standard King Room

could have indicated it was a non smoking room when I said my preference was for a smoking room. Did not appreciate that I was only told upon arrival when I made my booking in advance and requested a smoking room

Location and shuttle service was excellent

Within one month we've stayed here three times.
    • Standard King Room

Within one month we've stayed here three times. And guess why? Because it was love from the first sight! The area is amazing, the lobby is fantastic, the restaurant with its meals is just beyond, and rooms of course are very nice! The staff there is extremely helpful and friendly! We also liked daily shuttles to different places in town. So much grateful for our experience with this place!

Good location, not a pleasant stay
    • Standard King Room

Reception personnel extremely slow. Took half an hour to check in at 20:30 at night. Chatting the whole time to eachother and answering phones. Doing 10 things at the same time with the results of nothing getting done. Room was extremely noisy, other rooms taking bath in middle of the night you could hear. And to top it of on Sunday morning 07:00 room service comes knocking at your door.

Very disappointing. They are charging 4-star prices and giving 1-star service.
    • Standard King Room

I had used their laundry service to give some of my clothes for laundry. One of my trousers came back torn, but the hotel refused to do anything about it, and didn't even compensate me for the torn trouser.

Location superb
    • Standard King Room

LOCATION was superb, especially for the cricket we attended. Luckily we had parking in the basement due to cricket match. Spacious bathroom with clean towels. Room suited us in size of bed and "working" table. We however only had one coffee packet.

Enjoyed the magnificent wanderers

See the possibility of adding toothbrush and toothpaste in the toiletries list replenishment

We liked the varieties of fruits, juice and the breakfast was excellent. They have apples of superior quality and taste. We liked the idea of placing a fresh apple everytime they make our room, although they missed one day. Coffee pressing machine a great idea for coffee lovers!

The bed was super comfy, the TV had more stations than most...
    • Standard King Room

i cant think of anything we didnt like ! other than i think breakfast was a bit expensive at R200 a head

The bed was super comfy, the TV had more stations than most hotels offer , shower was excellent, even the apple in the room was crunchy ☺

Very comfortable stay
    • Standard King Room

When I arrived very late on Sunday evening, the receptionist informed me that my booking had been cancelled because I did not confirm the booking. I made the booking earlier the week and went away to an area with no internet access until Sunday evening. This news shocked me late on Sunday evening and made for a restless night, even though I was checked in later.

Friendly staff and great food. Very good location.

Linen in room was disgusting. Bedsheets etc
    • Standard King Room

Staff at Resturant we’re not so friendly, especially when asking for swimming towels. Swimming pool was drained on saturday so no swimming. Linen is bedroom was disgusting. Dirty and stained. -

Location was good and staff at Check in were friendly and efficient.

I enjoyed my stay. It was very peaceful.
    • Standard King Room

There was one rude lady at housekeeping.and the parking was dirty of leaves, they were all over my windscreen.

The staff at reception were very welcoming.the room was comfortable.

Pleasant but spoilt by poor reception service on arrival.
    • Standard King Room

The staff is not good or their booking & payment system is in adequate. We were arriving very late on our flight from Europe, hence my sister paid for our rooms before our arrival. On arrival at midnight, the reception informed us that our room was no longer available and they made us book and pay for two additional rooms.

The beds are comfortable and the children used the pool, which was pleasant.

Excellent stay and would go back again when next in SA.
    • Standard King Room

Can not comment as whatever we wanted was good

All aspects our stay were fully satisfied during the 5 days we were at the hotel and we enjoyed our stay at the hotel.

Convenient, comfortable overnight / weekend stop
    • Standard King Room

Shower head was leaking at joint. Air conditioner was not working properly which resulted in a moderately uncomfortable temperature in which to sleep.

Conveniently situated for our needs. Friendly reception staff. Comfortable clean room.

Excellent and the staff was friendly and helpful.
    • Standard King Room

Everything was excellent, the only challenge was that, Booking.com did not disclose that the offer did not include breakfast and I enquired they did not reply.

Great hotel, but has room to improve.
    • Standard King Room

The staff must be better trained. While not unfriendly, there were numerous instances where information given by one staff member at reception was later proven incorrect or contradicted by another. Also, on one instance, after arriving back at our hotel, following a morning and early afternoon on tour, we were woken during a nap by the sound of our bedroom door closing. We found out that the cleaning crew had yet to have placed towels in our bathroom and walked into our room at 04h00pm to do this.

The hotel is quite is lovely, in the sense that its decoration is simple yet inviting, and is very well lit with lots of natural light. The room we stayed in was incredibly comfortable and provided all the amenities that are to be expected of a four start hotel. The food at the hotel restaurant was exquisite, so much so that we didn't venture out for dinner on any of the nights.

The staff were friendly and efficient.
    • Standard King Room

The quality of the restaurant food was a little dissapointing. Breakfast in particular was rather expensive for what one gets.

The staff were friendly and efficient.

Definitely recommended in Johannesburg
    • Standard King Room

Ideally would have wanted a double bed instead of two single beds but that's not too much of a worry. Not much to dislike about the place.

The location is right next to the Wanderers stadium and golf club and is also very close to Melrose Arch and Rosebank which are two well known malls. The staff was courteous and the interest is very good. The rooms were extremely comfortable and clean with a neat desk for work. They also have a travel desk for transfers and city tours.

A chill out place with lovely restaurant food.
    • Standard King Room

You couldn't really walk out of the grounds, but had to rely on taxi or courtesy bus.

Courtesy bus into the shopping malls/restaurants around the area - 3 choices of malls. Friendly staff, clean rooms. Country Club opposite which had a restaurant/bar open to public.

Nice little hotel. Lots of privacy.
    • Standard King Room

The pillows were terrible still got a sore neck.

The service was excellent. Great value for money . The food was very good, not too much veriaty though.

Good value for money, not a great location for wandering
    • Standard King Room

The area is not a safe place to wander. Melrose Arch is a much better spot if you want to be able to freely walk to nice restaurants in the area. Airport is a bit far, and car services are expensive.

Good value for the money, especially using Booking.com Genius discount. Even though surrounding area is not necessarily safe, the hotel is very safe. No worries on the hotel property. Great breakfast.

To be honest , i am a little bit be disappointed.
    • Standard King Room

the worst hotel restaurant i've ever been. We talked with the chief ,and the good part is that they agree not to charge us for over-cooked spaghetti.

The staff is really helpful

Beautiful environment close to Sandton.
    • Standard King Room

Friendly, efficient staff. Great restaurant with a comfortable patio and pleasant view of the grounds. Hard to believe you are in the middle of the city!

My stay was great,happy team at reception was welcomed with a big smile as well as send off.Keep up
    • Standard King Room

Can your house keeping team come around at checking out time ,as its disturbing if u'll be leaving at 11 and at 09h00 someone is knocking at your door already. If u staying for extra days its understandable if they coming to change its routine .And no one is always on clock to remember oh do not disturb sign! At reception they know who checked out that's where they should start.

Never had time for breakfast ,sorry

Great, with a few shuttle glitches.
    • Standard King Room

The poor communication of the receptionists when I requested for the hotel shuttle. On three separate occasions, they mislead me with information that clashed with how the drivers operate and I ended up stranded and delayed.

The courtesy and professionalism of your shuttle drivers. They would appease me and apologise for the misinformation from the hotel reception.

Good
    • Standard King Room

The fact that they failed to keep my appointment whenchecking out. Almost missed the flught as a result. This was notwithstanding a confirmed booking the night b4

Shower, beddings, free shuttles to the Malls

Very nice hotel and clean and smelled good rooms were nice...
    • Standard King Room

The pool area is a little small

Very nice hotel and clean and smelled good rooms were nice and clean including the toilet which for me is something that needs to be clean.

Excellent location... and apples!
    • Standard King Room

The gym is located in the parking basement, which I found a little off-putting. But the Planet Fitness nearby is excellent, though pricey for a short stay.

The location is excellent and efficient service. Close to Melrose Arch. Not too far from central Johannesburg if you have work that side

Frustrating to sort out the payment.
    • Standard King Room

They would not accept your guarantee of payment and forced me to a direct payment otherwise I would forfeit my booking. Numerous phone calls and emails.

Exellent location. Outstanding on-site private shuttle servjce. Highly recommend thjs hotel.
    • Standard King Room

The only negative was our room was too cold and we could not get the temperature up.

The on-site shuttle service was excellent and very convenient. The airport pick up driver was very professional and was very patient and sensitive to our issue regarding a lost bag in baggage claim. The tour driver Phineas worked a miracle tour of all the sights we wanted to see during our very short stay.

A place to be
    • Standard King Room

I did not like idea of one apple and one bottle of water whereas i booked for two. In the instances where is couple in a room let everything be for two people instead of one person.

The bed was superlative and I liked the Apple theme

Good quality hotel very close to Wanderer's Club
    • Standard King Room

Eggs at breakfast a bit greasy. Restaurant food expensive and not that good. Wine by the glass very expensive compared with similar hotels.

Staff very friendly. Bar snack was excellent

Comfortable rooms
    • Standard King Room

Arrived to a room inadequately prepared - previous occupant's half eaten chocolate bar and bottle of water, used bar of soap and toothpaste tube not cleared away. Housekeeping responded immediately but the soap and toothpaste weren't disposed of. The kettle wasn't working either and turned out to have been unplugged from awkwardly situated socket. Possibly a training issue in room preparation.

Comfortable rooms

Main reason for me selecting the hotel was their recommended...
    • Standard King Room

Main reason for me selecting the hotel was their recommended gym facility. None of the members of staff knew the correct times and it puzzles me why the gym is not open 24/7. Opening at 9am on a Sunday is nonsensical.

Good hotel Excellent Location
    • Standard King Room

I was not informed at reception on arrival that all room service cannot be signed off onto the room billing but must be paid for on the spot. I found this to be extremely inconvenient and annoying.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Ambiance of the building is awesome!

ALWAYS A PLEASURE TO RETURN TO THE PROTEA WANDERERS
    • Standard King Room

I/we stay at this hotel often. Probably the only "complaint" is the cost of breakfast. We no longer eat breakfast at the hotel (despite its high quality) because it is so much more reasonable to eat at the adjacent Wanderers Club.

Always enjoy the friendly and helpful staff. Close proximity to Sandton City/Nelson Mandela Square - and enjoy using the facilities of the Wanderers Club

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

the staff are willing and soooo helpful.
    • Standard King Room

the staff are willing and soooo helpful. a particular mention of the check in and reception staff were soo friendly and made us feel at home from the time we got there.

Delivered more than expected
    • Standard King Room

TV channels and tea making supplies limited.

Staff incredibly friendly. Room layout excellent. Full length bath and power shower a treat. Kingsize bed really comfortable. Shopping shuttle bus a real perk.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Terrible staff
    • Standard King Room

Staff very poor - couldn't advise on where to find towels for hotel swimming pool. Directed to 3 different areas and palmed off at all three. Very disappointed.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

What a disappointment!
    • Standard King Room

My accommodation was more expensive that my other colleagues who were attending the same conference at the Wanderers club as myself by R300. They justified it by saying it was because I had booked on line (!) My colleagues rate also included breakfast - mine did not. When I queried my rate the hotel manager she was were extremely unhelpful and didn't even try to settle my grievance over the rate with a complimentary breakfast. As a consequence of the way in which my query was handled I will hesitate to stay at a Protea hotel again.

Not much about the hotel other than the location. To charge R58 at the bar for a gin and small tonic water is just a rip off!

Illovo Protea Wanderers Visit

Not applicable.

The openess and spaciousness of the room. The cleanliness and quietness of the place stood out for me. And most importantly the red apple concept, it encourages healthly and good living. The apples are delicious amd very filling. The shuttle drive Thomas and the night shift did an amazing job of transporting and arranging uber pickups for me.

Convenient location
    • Standard King Room

I arranged for 2 single beds since I booked a double room with a business colleague. The room was standard with queen bed. I also asked for a shuttle from gautrain station, this was not booked on the day I arrived.

Convenient location

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

fair
    • Standard King Room

DSTV package was very poor not suitable for tourists and the room was so crowded. No air freshener in the toilet.

quiet and more relaxing environment at the hotel in general

Family vacay
    • Standard King Room

Toilet seat was not aligned well. Desk in the room was a bit wobbly.

The room was just perfect for my husband and 18 month old son. The fact that the bathroom had a shower and bath tub was a bonus. Facilities in the room 10/10. Room service 10/10. Had dinner in the Restaurant and attention to detail was 10/10. Breakfast was also quite a big spread. Hotel foyer always had a beautiful fresh perfumed scent. Location was convenient. I would readily book in again.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

I'm still waiting for someone to call
    • Standard King Room

I'm still waiting for someone to phone my because the wifi was not working and the tv was not working and we had to have the person work on the tv for an hour. And it was stil not fixed.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Not Worth the Money
    • Standard King Room

They run a shuttle service which is erratic, disorganized and unpunctual. Since this is the safest way to get around to the malls, it's unfortunate that it is so unreliable. The food at the restaurant took a long time to be served.

The food at the restaurant was good.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

It took so long for them to clean our room and bathroom.
    • Standard King Room

It took so long for them to clean our room and bathroom. We want out and came back at the end of the day and the room wasn't cleaned. We had to call for housekeeping to come and clean it while we waited.

Stylish hotel in a great location.
    • Standard King Room

The room was modern and clean with a very comfortable bed. The service was excellent, the hotel exceeded my expectations. I would definitely stay there again.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Familiar Territory
    • Standard King Room

Reception was slow to answer , rooms took too long to make up, continental breakfast at R185 was sub standard and to channels were insufficient considering the to guide is located next to the tv yet only a few channels are available and no movies to purchase and view

The staff were friendly , Jacob the doorman who I have known since my first stay in 2003 was as professional and welcoming as usual

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

Good choice for Rosebank and surrounding areas.
    • Standard King Room

A few things were a little flakey such as plugpoints failed for a while and the iron I borrowed from housekeeping leaked then died.

Location great for me, lots of parking and friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Fair but dated
    • Standard King Room

They gave a couple a twin room, only one glass between us, the sheets weren't changed when they had marks on them.

Friendly staff, good location available to local areas with a shuttle you can use which is handy.

Great stay great hotel.
    • Standard King Room

I asked for a quiet room which means that it is not road facing. This is significant as it was a leisure trip and we wanted to sleep in late. This was not provided. Besides for that, it exceeded expectations.

This is a fantastic hotel with expectations exceeded.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

A GOOD SPORT
    • Standard King Room

Booking-in is indicated as from 14:00. When we arrived at 15:00 the room was still not cleaned. We asked for a double bed in the room but there was two single beds.

View and location especially if you into cricket and other ball sports.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Didn't get what we paid for
    • Standard King Room

Booked two standard, twin, non-smoking rooms well in advance. Got two smoking rooms where the beds had to be separated. Staff were of no help and said it was that or nothing. Since the booking rate required payment up front/no cancellations, the hotel basically forced us to take a smoking room where we had specified and paid for something different!

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

home away from home.

Wishes I could've stayed longer

The staff was friendly. The shuttle driver was a jolly fellow. Interacted with passengers in a professional and friendly manner

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

Helpful, efficient staff.
    • Standard King Room

Furniture around pool area (deck chairs ) are unhygienic, ugly, and impractical. Furniture in room needed some renovation. Bathroom floor has a leak of water of undetermined source

Helpful, efficient staff. Quiet rooms (if not overlooking the roads)

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

The most children friendly Protea in the city.
    • Standard King Room

That our stay was just one day...

The first Protea I had visited with a proper Disney Channel for the kids. The staff,from reception to the dining hall, goes an extra mile and the breakfast is very adequate, sometimes too much variety is a turn-off.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

Great stay!
    • Standard King Room

The rooms need a little more attention to detail. the toilet had a constant leak which I had to keep fixing to stop the dripping sound while you sleep at night & some of the bathroom fittings could do with a change. they are old and had their time! the

It was a great location and close to most of the shopping malls and business parks. The room was clean and spacious, bed was really comfortable and I would definitely recommend the hotel.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

A great central hotel with good facilities
    • Standard King Room

There was no shampoo or conditioner in our room when we first went in. Apparently a delivery was expected later that day and the problem was resolved

The bed was extra comfortable and the room was a good size. When we asked to change to a better view there was no problem and it was dealt with efficiently. Staff very helpful and efficient Had dinner one night at the bar and it was tasty

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

Perfect location for cricket.
    • Standard King Room

Perfect location for the cricket. The hotel also offers a free shuttle to Sandton. A huge thank you to the reception staff who were extremely helpful even to the extent of getting me a ticket for a sold out cricket match. Many thanks, Priscilla!

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

The cafe was nice with cheerful waiters.
    • Standard King Room

The manager stayed at the back with no effort in trying to fix the problem that had occurred through their system. The front desk people tried their best to help but the manager had difficulty to move out of her precious place.

The cafe was nice with cheerful waiters.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

Fine
    • Standard King Room

Every single time I book for a double bed and for some unknown reason I get given two single beds. Was planning to use this hotel for my stay for the next two years but for this reason I will be looking for another one

The wifi which is fast and reliable