Reviews of Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Centurion 4 stars

Cnr Gordan Hood & Hendrik Verwoerd Avenues, 0046 Centurion, South Africa

#4 of 10 hotels in Centurion

• Standard Double or Twin Room

You can hear the noise from the passing cars on the neighbouring road during the evening

Bed super comfy and really big. Great pillows. Room layout was great. Loved the plants. Bathroom was clean and functional. Room was warm.

• One-Bedroom Suite

Has been , mediocre business & conference hotel with outdated decor and furniture loud personnel talking in court yard before 7 am on Sunday waking us up...also a MAJOR renovation project at the mall working 6 days a week with all the noise and dust , detours of traffic, avoid Centurion for the next year if you want quiet.

Central to the malls

• One-Bedroom Suite

The setting was most convenient. Staff were really friendly and courteous. Facilities were excellent. This establishment would be my destination of choice in the future.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I didnt enjoy my dinner,but maybeits because we arrived late and the kitchen was already closing

The bed was comfortable,the room spacious,bathroom very clean

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Connecting door to another room, I could hear everything going on next door. WiFi coverage very poor and slow, hardly useable.

Clean and modern, good restaurant.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room safe broken with signs that has been like that for sometime. The main reason that i choose this hotel its because it has a smoking launge but this time very dirty and a huge lack of service to it

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The Wally Hayward Marathon is a huge yearly event. The hotel should capitalize on this and accommodate a shuttle service to take runners to the race venue. We had o make own arrangements to get to the race in the morning.

It was the perfect venue as it was close to the Wally Hayward Marathon, which is why we booked there.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Restaurant food was bad, we where a party of 6. Meat was over cooked. Chicken was off and they did not recommend steak even though it was on the menu. Air con needed re-gas. Did not debit the amount off my credit card, had to pay at reception. As we where a group and some people arrived first, they could not check in as they needed to pay. The lake was smelly and the rooms need attention. People were slamming or closing the doors very hard and that is very annoying at 02:00 in the morning. Restaurant food is overpriced and alcohol is ridiculously expensive

Clean Nice view Friendly staff

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bathroom... Unfortunately the shower looked rather 'ickey' with black mold along the corners and shower door. Vinegar and Bicarbonate of Soda can easily clean this, as I could wipe the mold with a tissue...

Central, convenient, friendly

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bathroom and having the washbasin outside of the bathroom was awkward. I paid for a business room but do not think I got it.

The breakfast was good. The gardens were lovely

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I stayed in room 104...and the aircon remote failed to start the aircon. I just didn't have time to raise the issue because i wanted to sleep early, and get up early for the Irene Ultra 48km!!!!

Yes, the beds were very comfortable and the shower nice and hot!!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel had no water for two days during my stay. The management dealt with the issue somewhat slowly. Had the scope of the problem been explained transparently, I would have changed hotels. Most importantly, the hotel is not up to Marriott standards; a four star hotel it is not.

The staff were terrific in every department. Warm, welcoming and helpful.

• One-Bedroom Suite

There was water supply issue (external provider problem) - unfortunately it started the evening before my checkout day and continued next day. When I arrived my suite was not ready for me, but I was served with drink and some minutes later with regular room available to me until suite was made available to me later :)

Hotel located very close to Centurion Mall - 5 minutes walk (which means shopping & breakfast/lunch/dinner places) it is also very close (20 minutes walk) to train station which connects you conveniently to the airport. If you rent a car or use taxi it is easy to reach interesting local bars (3 of them very close), Voortrekker Monument or Centurion Indoor Shooting Range where you can practice some firearm shooting (both of them no more than 20 minutes by car).

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bathroom not clean and smelly........specially the shower outlet which released a terrible smell which caused us to leave the extractor fan running. That way the smell would at least not enter the room. Really not something one would expect from this level of accommodation.

Location is ideal

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The lofts kept jamming and getting stuck. Had to use the service elevator. Also lots of Mozzies from the lake.

Close to our venue. They offered free transport within a 4km radius. They were able to drop us off every morning.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

more personalised condiments in the room i.e. no tea, more coffee TV out of focus I pulled my bed right in the mornings, didn't look like anyone else actually remade it

staff very friendly

• Standard Double or Twin Room

That the water was cold in the evening, the room did not have a mini fridge and there was no water in the morning.

The standard room was spacious. And the bed was spacious. Snacks on arrival was a nice gesture

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I got the higher floor room and we had issue with water reaching the fifth floor for two days, that was one of my bad experience star 3-5 hotels; but they explained it was out of their control.

Room location was perfect, the lake and train station vision was good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No water on the night and morning of my stay. That spoiled the whole thing.

The rooms are clean and spacious. The only problem was there was no water on the night and morning of my stay. That spoiled the whole thing.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I am a foody - so i enjoy food alot, the dinner was ok expect for the meat & breakfast was ok just tasteless

I enjoyed the study area in the room & the smoking area. The room was neat & the Hotel staff friendly

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Stuck in a hole on the ground floor after asking for an upper floor room at the time of making the reservation. Some or other machine or gadget making a noise every few minutes during the entire course of the night. Sound like a geyser or machine starting and stopping all the time.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Dental kits etc, should be free of charge, we are charged R25 for a dental kit,this in not acceptable, I have travelled around the world and even 3 star hotels offer them for free on request.

Rooms were clean and tidy

• One-Bedroom Suite

We couldn't get the air conditioning to work--thankfully we didn't really need it.

We had a suite of two rooms including a kitchen/living room overlooking the garden area. The pool and gardens are kept meticulously tidy and the public areas of the hotel are lovely. The hotel is right next to a great mall.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Too little coffee in the room.

Service excellent, staff friendly, pool lovely and clean, very well maintained and super clean. Water pressure and heat amazing, all good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The Location of the hotel near the lake is not ideal....especially with the horrible smell that exists at the moment.

The General experience was great.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Very central and convenient, especially for business travelers. Safe parking and walking distance to a very popular mall. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The shuttle from the airport to the hotel didn't pitch 😡. We waited for over an hour and had to make alternative arrangements

The food 😋, the wifi , the staff

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Noise from a screaming neighbour's child

The purpose of my visit was to relax in peace and quite but I had a neighbor who had a screaming child so that disturbed my peace. Maybe people with children should be booked in special compartments

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The Centurion lake is absolutely disgusting & needs to be dredged! If we opened the balcony door, you could actually smell the unpleasant lake. Very unfortunate for such a great hotel ; great location & great Staff.

Staff were extremely friendly & helpful at "your home away from home". Room size & bathroom size were perfect. Wonderfully comfortable bed. Nice large shower & bath.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The light above the bath flickered and should have been replaced. The signal on the tv in the bedroom was a bit fuzzy.

The staff are incredibly helpful, friendly and professional!

• One-Bedroom Suite

The rate is quite high and should therefore at least include breakfast.

Staff courtesy was conspicuous. Great access and secure parking. Walking distance to Centurion lake Shopping Mall and 10min walk to Gautrain station.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The most unfortunate part of our stay was the terrible smell of the water from the next door property.

The bed was very comfortable and the shower was the best.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There has been ongoing construction for a long time. Parking is a problem and I was directed to the parking lot which is very far from reception. No one offered to help with luggage. Guards outside are unhelpful. Staff inside the hotel are helpful. For this price, I would rather seek alternative accomodation.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The air conditioner was not working properly,it blew cold air and it was cold in Pretoria.The blankets were old,not expected from Protea hotel,a little disappointing.Sewing kit not available,poor picture quality on television.The curtain lining was short,the room was not completely dark.

Bed extra comfy!!!😃

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I felt like I was going to break the toilet seat when I sat down to... you know "fax municipal documents", and maybe it is because I haven't stayed at a Protea hotel in a while and maybe things are different now, but I was expecting to find those little shampoos and lotions, shower gels and the like... I like those little toiletries

Room service... I loved the coleslaw served with the beef burger and it was just a very pleasant and relaxing stay with my lady after the week I had had... bliss

• Standard Double or Twin Room

want dont replace the hair dryer with the iron.or add both

best protea i saw this far.thought capital was the best but this one is "wow"lets not even talk about samrand coz that one ke mathata. exept for te price that i think is a little bit high.im happy.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Booking out was a bit slower with all staff attending to one person, while we were waiting to be served

The cleanliness and comprehensiveness of services in this category

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was the best, so nice and spacious . The people from reception to room service and security was friendly and helpfull , we felt cared for and safe.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The level of noise at night made this facility feel like we were staying in a prostitution motel! It was scary at night with people screaming across the hall and banging doors! People were going outside to smoke in parking lot and having loud conversations. The worst thing is you can't walk to the train station because there are criminals day and night outside the fence. The hotel dropped and picked us from the station that is guarded by 20 plus security guards and police inside! This is not normal for a society.

The property is close to the luxury Gautrain that gives easy access to Johannesburg and Pretoria!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Our air conditioner in our room was not working. The staff was making a noise in the hallways 6 oclock in the morning, talking very loud. For that reason I would not book there again.

Breakfast was excellent. Staff very friendly

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

During certain times the air conditioning automatically switch off which made it extremely stuffy and warm in the room. The shower leaked water onto the bathroom floor.

The room was spacious and I love that the shower has enough space to easily move.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Struggled to get a parking bay.

I booked at this property in order to get closer to the starting venue of the Wally Hayward Marathon. I needed a quite place where I can get a good night sleep before the race. The staff was friendly and helpful starting with the security personnel at the main entrance. The room was clean and tidy, so was the bathroom. Had a safe for a laptop. Ideal for business travelers.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I was told about da breakfast when I checked inn.before I started eating da guy told me it's included in da accommodation costs.after a while he goes and consults with reception and returns to tell me I have to pay R195.00(after I started eating).I paid it gladly but I found that to be unacceptable.& if breakfast was not included why didn't da reception inform me that breakfast is available at a cost.R 195 is exorbitant by General standards.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room service was terrible ..we had to wait almost an hr to have our linen changed due to a spill. We received all our meals cold (breakfast) and not appealing and no condiments or sauces and when requested they failed to bring it.

Staff we're friendly...location is good..close to the mall

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was hot and spicy, even the potatoes. I don't eat hot food so I was really disappointed

As always very friendly, easy to book and good value for money. Will definitely stay there again in the future.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The swimming pool always dirty. A lot of attention required. Not possible to swim inside. I seen the Senior management take out a branch that had fallen, but that was it. Nothing else was done. Not a good example of Leadership.

The staff were very helpful and friendly especially the receptionist and bar staff. I had a problem with the key to my room. they tried to fix it but couldn't so upgraded me to a suite which was awesome. I would like to say a big thank you to the staff that made my stay very comfortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Its very noisy You here if someone close there door or talk in the hallway And the shower makes a noise And they dont do turn downs But the stay was ok and not wow I made a booking for the wrong date but it was my fault but reception let me sit down in the lobby to make a new booking on booking.com why not just make a new booking on your system?????

It was close to the mall

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was excellent. I was given an executive suite with a lounge. The staff were attentive and efficient. The bar and room service menus were excellent and delivery time was efficient. Stunning scenary.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

At the terasse, bad smells, coming from the lake.

Hotel is safe, and close to the mall and to the train station. Nice breakfast with many choice. Friendly and efficient staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We have NO complaints other than the Shuttle (Ulysses Tours) took us back to the station at 7.15am. miserable fellow....Ah well, Ezekiel made up for this. The bed etc? Great King size bed.

Did not have breakfast as left very early to get back home. This break will always be remembered. We parked at Rhodesfield Gautrain station & used the train to Centurion. On arrival, I called the Hotel & a shuttle (friendly driver) collected us. EZEKIEL gave us such a warm welcome as we entered Reception! He so genuine & sincere. (Like an old friend of mine)Thanks to him! Luggage stored while we went to the Mall. 1hr later the young lady called to say our room was ready! The lunch (Hake) was superb! We will be back.

• One-Bedroom Suite

The airconditioner had some sounds while it is off and the fridge wasn't too cool enough.

The place is quite and beautiful, near to the mall. The staff was also helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The buffet dinner had a limited choice of meats.We eat chicken most of the time at our homes sso we were expecting different kinds of meat for a change.😊

The hotel is closer to major routes.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Entrance to hotel is poor. Can only enter from one direction and at times needed to do a u-turn so very dangerous. Very dispointed that over the period restaurants were closed and we should have been advised about this when we made the original booking.

Close to shopping centre and family and friends. Staff always very helpful. Amenities in room were very good.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel room was a nightmare. As we walked into the room we could hear a woman groaning and that was to be our nightmare. The entire time it felt like we were in the same room as co-guests. We had to sleep with tv on to subdue the impact of alien sounds emerging from co-guests rooms.

The cleanliness of the room and the comfort of the bed

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There wasn't really anything not to like.

We liked everything about the hotel. We loved the room and the view from the deck outside. We also liked that the hotel was so close to the mall.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Reception debated the price we booked on booking .com only after the GM was requested was it accepted, housekeeping made such a lot of noise we had to complain 4 times before the were quite.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Elevator on my floor did not work. Aircon in the room did not work. Water wasn't replaced on second day. Soap wasn't replaced on second day.

Convinient and close to everything

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I joined a group for a conference but they applied a rate different from that of the group although my booking was done by Protea Transit Hotel in Joburg where I had spent the previous night.

The room was clean and well arranged.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was good but rather expensive

Throughout our stay the staff were particularly courteous and helpful. All round cleanliness and orderliness great.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

• One-Bedroom Suite

The hotel is situated right next to Centurion Mall and very close to the Gautrain (walking distance)

Nice quiet and peaceful environment outside on the deck

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Your bathroom needs grouting, made me a bit sceptical as I would not want fungal infection specifically the shower

I had a wonderful time, check in was awesome..The gentleman was very professional and kind. I would definitely bet my money on him,sorry I forgot his name. Breakfast was wonderful with Ivy as our waiter.she is amazing and on point

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The house keeping was not up to scratch. I stayed for 3 days and sometimes they do not provide water, the gels and soap, plastic in the dustbin

Overall all the necessary are provided

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Aweful smell outside. Cudnot stay outside. When we checked in reception staff not friendly. First room given to us had a broken air con. Requested for early arrival. Room was not ready after a 6 hour drive we had to wait another hour before room was ready. Although wen I enquired from other staff they said hotel was not busy. So wat was the delay. Disappointed

Room service and cleaning staff excellent

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I was very happy with everything. I had no problems during my stay.

The service was great, all the staff was always friendly and ever helpful. The rooms was clean and spacious, the food was great. All in all, I had a great experience. I would definitely recommend the hotel and return if I find myself in centurion again. Thank you

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

• Studio

Lifts didn't work and some had been out of order for over 2 weeks, staff really slow cleaning room

Location great, very clean and staff very polite and pleasant

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I booked 2 rooms online and received confirmation via email...by chance I called to confirm and was told that only one room was booked instead of 2....there should be better communication between booking.com and the hotel it self....I was in a tizz because I was coming with my elderly parents and what if you had been fully booked...there would have been no space ...

Breakfast was good...catered for halaal as well

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

For a four star hotel, it needs a major revamp. Only one elevator worked and the one who worked was too small to accomodate a lot of guests. We used the steps.

Breakfast was great.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

tv channels - at least one channel should be dedicated. the nickleodean channel was never on nickelodeon

Phumeza was extremely friendly and accommodating, esp for kids

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Our room wasn't ready at 14:00 and we had to wait a bit.

The rooms are very comfortable and the aircon was a lifesaver. The staff are all extremely friendly!

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

• Studio

All the staff were friendly and very efficient, hotel upgrade to a suite was fantastic and not expected, superb value for money and situated next to mall with restaurants

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There is limited variety in the food served at the restaurant. They should introduce more variety in their menu.

The room was tidy. The bedsheets and towels were clean. The staffs are very helpful and nice.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The fact of being booked at the first floor and that even when one has forgotten their Protea points card I was not able to redeem the points of the 15 October as staff were saying they cant find me on the system and I di not understand as I do have a card, also noting that the cards changed to the Marriot and clients not informed. Also the was no shower cap in the room.

The bed was fine and the breakfast was only great especially the chef who was working at the hot station during breakfast he was so good and communicative.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• One-Bedroom Suite

Our room was cleaned half way and had no towels when we got back. Then we stepped out so that they could clean again.

Staff is friendly like always and food good quality.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel desperately needs an upgrade and a revamp. It is incredibly tired. Unless you're in the area for a conference (or a wedding, as we were), there really isn't much around to do. We were accommodated in the end, but check-in wasn't as smooth as I hoped (we had confirmed an early check-in a few days before arriving, but the receptionist didn't have this information when we got there - thankfully there was a room that was ready and so we were moved).

The hotel is a walk away from Centurion Mall, and a very short drive from the Centurion Gautrain station (there is a shuttle service). Room is big and shower was decent.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The smelly water was a bit of an irritation. I guess there's not the hotel staff could do about that.

For the amount quoted I found the room too have exceeded my expectations. Quite amazing I must say...will definitely be staying at your hotel and other protea hotels.