Reviews of Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg 5 stars

Corner of Rivonia Road and Daisy Street, Sandton, 2010 Johannesburg, South Africa

#43 of 90 hotels in Johannesburg

Fantastic comfortable hotel in a good location

We actually stayed for 3 nights under 2 separate bookings (A 2-night booking and a 1 night booking) The location was fantastic, just a short walk from Sandton Gautrain station which was very good for us wanting to travel to other places like Pretoria. The concierge staff were very helpful in assisting us organise a tour to Soweto with a local company. The breakfast was excellent with lots of variety and healthy options on offer. Would certainly return in futrure.

Satisfsctory
    • Business Class Room

The lack of direction from staff or instructions to move around. Access items or give guidance throughout stay. For a 4 star hotel we expected more

Comfort

I'll be back definitely.

I didn't like having to pay for parking as always and we do need to train waitrons took to long to attend.

Excellent stay as usual, and I'll keep coming back.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Well located hotel giving good access to Johannesburg and OR Tambo airport whether by road or rail.

A tour I booked through the concierge was not actually booked. The hotel, in their defence, scrambled and came up with a solution which met our needs, tops marks for that effort

Good location, big clean rooms, restaurant on site, room service available, gymnasium available, good proximity to Gautrain.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Good experience

No visible support staff to direct enquiries to, only at reception. The lifts were slow, Concierge was slow and not attentive

The business loung was very helpful

The rooms were clean and the gym was lovely.

The check-in personnel weren't very helpful. This is despite the fact that we were a delegation of 5 visiting from Zimbabwe. Took over 30mins to check-in.

The rooms were clean and the gym was lovely.

Disappointing hotel for the rating

One of the main elevators was inoperable. One of the 2 pads to operate the elevator was broken on my floor. The safe wasn't working on arrival, but resolved quickly. Never got my requested wake up call. Duvet cover was open at bottom and pillowcase had a tear, not enough plugs.

The location is very central to sandton. Overall layout of room was good and modern.

Friendly staff, easy check-in, check-out.

Friendly staff, easy check-in, check-out. Very comfortable, large room with a good view (19th floor). Sandton next by, either reachable afoot or by shuttle (every 15 minutes). All in all, got what I've expected from a Radisson.

Nice business type hotel with big rooms but expensive

The price of the night's accommodation when we turned up in Rand was significantly more than quoted in Pounds on the booking.com website. I am not sure I would have stayed if I had know it was going to be £30-50 more.

Good location in Sandton. A 5-10 minute walk to Nelson Mandela Square but the hotel puts on a free shuttle bus to take you there and back. Room was huge. Breakfast was good.

Location n staff were good.

There were items missing in bar fridge that i was subsequently charged for.this also happened to a coleague.so do check..my request for a shower seat was not met.guide book in room was in shreds.disturbance from guests after midnight.taps loose n turning around.no one answered phone in hotel for more than an hour.so frustating.its what u would expect in a 3 star.1egg 1 slice bread n cuppa tea cost 90rands.Expensive.

Location n staff were good.

1 night in jozi

Having 2 pay for parking figured should be free seeing as we stayed the night. Sheets were torn and the bath water was luke warm not hot so had to take a quick bath.

Breakfast, room service the room was clean and liked the fact that the mini bar was stacked with goodies as well. Otherwise the experience was lovely and the money worth it

Extremely satisfied!

The breakfast was enormous. It was so good and not expensive at all. Room service was so fast and the food in the restaurant was amazing. Everyone was very nice and in all I was extremely satisfied.

Generally OK for the business travellers

- The room cleaning is OK but can be better especially for bathroom. - The hot water is not regular, sometimes you have to wait to get regular hot water. - The price of lunch and dinner is little bit expensive than outside restaurant prices nearby.

+ WiFi is strong and working properly in all areas of hotel. + The brakfast is good and has good options to choose. + The room cleaning is OK. + The room size is OK if you travel alone. + There is a well equipped gym that you can spend time. + The Turkish General Manager of hotel always keep in touch and in communication with all guests. You can see him at lunch tasting the food and ask about your feedback. He is highly professional manager. + The staff is smiling and mostly hospitable & kind for approaching guests. + The location is one of the best, near to Mandela Square for shopping and food options. + They have free shuttle options for nearby and Mandela Square with a time schedule. + The security is good and at high level. + They have lunch and dinner everyday. It is good if you do not want to go out of hotel or if you want to have the meals quickly. + The price is OK for Radisson Blu level.

Great Location, Great Breakfast and Awesome Fitness

Room didn't have big towels when I arrived. They rectified that. Staff was a bit slow to help me out initially and transferred me around. My room was facing the hallway and I could here some noise coming from the bar below.

Excellent Breakfast and as always the Planet Fitness gymnasium is world class. Location is a short walk from the Gautrain for the adventurous. I was able to check-in early and take a shower.

Weekend Getaway

Nothing really

The ambience and everything was on point. One of the highlights was the complimentary surprise birthday cake for my partner. We really had an awesome week getaway, will definitely visit again

Good value for money 4/5

The shuttle service is not good on time. Concierge staff are moody. You have yo pay for parking which is not good if staying at hotel.

Rooms are a good size, good space. Bath and shower. Late check out.

Lovely bed!

Just a better reception from staff at check in and a more complete orientation. We initially struggled to find the parking ticket pay station and couldn't find someone to ask without standing politely in the check in queue for an unnecessaryly prolonged amount of time.

Lovely bed! Very clean. Quiet at night on the top floor. Good views over Sandton. Good food at Vivace in-house restaurant.

My stay was a bucket list that i’ve Planned for over a decade with my best friends. Great Services.

That I could not stay longer.

Great location! Friendly atmosphere and staff are always in tune to the customer needs. I had a wonderful and restful stay, and will definitely be back with my family:-) Peace and Blessings!

My Radisson experience

Wasn't impressed with vehicles that dropped of clients/ people at the hotel entrance and then spend time there; chatting making it impossible for other vehicles to pass.

I liked the fact that the hotel provides a shuttle to the mall every 30minutes. Also it is very close to the mall. Very convenient.

Fantastic product and service

Security, comfort and location

The security is second to none. Though if your room card fails to work and you are between lift and room (outside) you have to call for assistance to get to reception. Other than that top notch hotel.

Breakfast was very good.

I had a problem with Pre-Authorization. I stayed at hotel from 6th of June to 8th of June. During check-in “Pre-Authorization reserved the fund from my credit card”(R 4.131,00) . During Check-out the hotel again I gave my credit card to make payment. (R 4.251,00) But, until now(19.06) this pre-Authorization amount didn’t cancelled from my credit card. “still pending operations” I called hotel and informed the people there. They told me that they will talk with Bank and send me the mail. Up to now, there is no feedback from their side. Hotel is a branch of Radisson Blu and it’s 5 Star. I believe that customer service should be at a better level.

Breakfast was very good. There is also closed park area reachable from elevator.

Shower was weak.

Shower was weak. No pressure. Shower door couldn’t open fully. Phone in room didn’t work properly. Remote didn’t work and took Management 2hr to fix/replace.

An okay hotel, but I expect more for the price and the chain.

1) Parking - simply put it’s a shambles. Not possible to call and reserve a space as suggested. It’s first some first served, often full (then blocked off with minivans) and the entrance to the hotel becomes gridlocked. Pay each time you enter/leave, not just once off. 2) The staff do the job, but just not quite to the level you expect when paying this amount for a room. 3) Decor, it’s fine but getting ready for a revamp I hope. The room felt slightly dated.

Fantastic gym with huge feee weight section and endless machines. Great bathroom with shower+tub. Overall you’ll get a decent enough night, but my expectations were higher given that it’s a Radisson Blu Hotel.

Great location and rooms but not so good staff

The staff need to learn mannerisms and how to talk/respect guests. There is no point of having great facilities when staff can spoil the experience with their attitude.

Rooms were very comfortable. Also, the breakfast was great and the location of the hotel was good too.

Beyond expectations - great work-out

+ friendly, flexible staff + spacious, comfortable room + 3 stories high gym with 25 meter swimming pool + excellent kitchen + safe neighborhood, safe hotel + free shuttle to Gautrain which takes you to the airport in 15 minutes + no problem with early check-in and late check-out + good, fast enough free wi-fi

My previous two stays ware super, but the third stay wont make us go back to the hotel.

The receptionist that checked us in that night was really judgmental and gave us a room that I believe even him wont stay in it. We were probably not dressed nice enough or we couldn't afford cause we booked online according to him, but then one individual just spoiled our stay.

The hotel is very good, but our third and last stay was really disappointing and spoiled by a member at reception who really looked down on us.

Paying for the parking lot everytime we went out, it would...

Paying for the parking lot everytime we went out, it would be nice if you could add parking money on the account and give guests access card or something

Pleasant experience

The shuttle bus to Nelson Mandela square stopped running too early. At weekends the shuttle should run till midnight.

room and Bed neat and comfy. Great location. Warm staff. Good place to stay at Sandton.

Good overall, but cleanliness details NEED work.
    • Business Class Room

Overall the place was very nice, but cleanliness details need work: the first time I sat down on the toilet I noticed opposite me a giant booger, complete with hair remaining in it, affixed to the wall opposite me. That's just, well, gross, and not something you want staff missing. Also, the business lounge upstairs always runs out of food before the posted times. Always. It's not a long dinner window posted: just 90 minutes. But every night I went people (all who had paid more for an upgraded room) showed up disappointed nearer to the end of service. Having enough of the tiny mini buffet to last 90 minutes when it is listed as a feature of the biz class room does not seem to be an unreasonable request.

Good breakfast, nice gym, easy walking distance to Gautrain station.

A wonderful place to stay in Standton (Johannesburg)
    • Business Class Room

Noise from the bar is amplified by the courtyard design - the rooms facing in towards the courtyard can be quite noisy.

The service was superb, the shuttle to Mandela Square was very convenient, and the fitness center was fabulous! A special thank you to Thomas and Andrew for making our stay most enjoyable.

Very nice and comfortable room.

The breakfast ends by 10.30, which is not a problem. But the waiters could have informed guests that were already eating that they were about packing up at 10.30 so guests can pick any other item they still wanted to eat. Instead, guests that were eating just looked up and all the breakfast was gone.

Very nice and comfortable room. Soft pillows. I particularly liked the fitness area. It was very well equipped with friendly trainers. It was an overall lovely experience staying here and I will recommend it to anyone visiting Sandton, Jo'burg.

Second time. Even better

I was slightly "underwhelmed" by the service in the restaurant, having to leave my seat to get hold of a waiter as some stage. I can, however, recommend the restaurant for its incredible view and good (albeit pricey) food.

This is my second time I have stayed at a Radisson and I am as impressed as the first time. The exterior of the building is gorgeous. The interior of the building is even more beautiful. The elevators are awesome. Check-in was fast and friendly. The room is spacious and the view of Sandton city is absolutely wonderful. (I got a room on the 22nd floor). I would like to go back to enjoy the breakfast (which I didn't have time to do this time).

Seriously need to up there game on service.

They charged R45 tray charge on top of room service prices for “in-room” breakfast and also brought a salmon steak instead of smoked salmon. It was cold and very unpleasant and even without the diabolical tray charge was overpriced.

Location is excellent.

very nice hotel, comfortable rooms and good staff

there was no problem at all during my stay.

The security staff were extremely helpful - after checking out I found I had left something in the safe - they found and kept it for me - very much appreciated.

It okay for the price , breakfats in room terrible , all things un room is cheap and not 5*

Room decor could , everything is room is cheap , seems to me geust steel everything in hotel the way tjo gs are protected

Only the location , close to Sandton

Not as good as previous visits I will choose another hotel for future visits

The attitude of the reception staff. The staff in the restaurant are too busy on their cell phones than picking up melon on the floor and the wait for getting eggs prepared is a unacceptable considering the breakfast seating was about 10% full.

I was not charged the rate that was offered to me by Booking.com except for one night on check out I was informed y=that the hotel has a variable rate per night! Not according to my booking! I have a Raddisson card which should allow 10% discount on food and I am reliably informed by the Duty Manger that Breakfast is NOT food, That is news to me and I'm sure Trip Advisor will love that comment

A relaxing night away, with a view to make you appreciate Joburg!

We were charged to watch a movie in our room, and for other particulars, such as a charge for your tray when you want room service. That was unncessary.

The bed was very comfy, and we liked how there were gym facilities and a spa in one.

Nice chain hotel out of the city

Reception on 13th floor and having to change lifts for gym and exiting the hotel. Also had no reply to emails that I sent, prior to arrival

Excellent gym and spa...on a par with Virgin Health

It felt like home away from home.

That the breakfast wasn't included in the payment.

The comfort and cleanliness after a busy day of meetings was a real pleasure. Will definitely come again!

RADISSON BLU DEFINITELY GAVE US A MEMORABLE FIRST ANNIVERSARY.

IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO OFFER CLIENTS A PILLOW MENU.

THE BED WAS VERY COMFY.VIEW WAS INCREDIBLE, BATHROOM WAS SPOTLESS. WE HAD AN AWESOME EXPERIENCE SPENDING OUR FIRST ANNIVERSARY AT THE RADISSON BLU.

Good for business travel in excellent location

You have to pay an extra R60 per day for parking which is slightly annoying.

Location is very good, and everything is as you'd expect standards-wise from a good business stay hotel.

Great facilities in a good location

Make sure that the room does not face the construction side. The Ventilators in that direction are extremely loud. The hotel has to do something about there card reader system. The cards are often not functioning. This is extremely bad if you are at the pool deck (8th floor) and nobody is there. The only way back to the lobby is down the emergency stairs. Why don’t you repair the Telefon or better allow access to the lobby floor without a card?

The pool and gym are great

Awesome gym
    • Business Class Room

Lacks the service of the Gautrain Raddison, everything seemed to be a issue for the staff. But I wanted the gym! No attention to detail at this hotel.

Awesome gym

Was quite comfortable and clean.

Restaurant not at the standard of a "Radisson blu" hotel.. i stayed in the Radisson blu of Gauteng...but this one cannot be compared at all .. I was dissapointed ...when i reached the hotel and went in my room..

Was quite comfortable and clean.

Was pretty good just need to work on delivering a consistent approach around room service etc.

Consistency on how the room was serviced (#towels, face washers etc). Room service on one day took our card to make the power work & also ate a chocolate that had been left from the previous nights turn down service...

A very big disappointment !!
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Didn’t look at the reservation Didn’t know how many people we are Didn’t have enough towels for the shower and even after calling 30 min later we needed to go to the desk and asked for it (the day of arriving-at 9pm with a small kid). I asked for something for my husband 40 birthday (with payment) and it didn’t happen. The business lounge didn’t open on time in the morning-1 hour after.... The shatel didn’t work in the time as the hotel commitment.

It’s a nice location with an amazing gymn.

Service was not regularly available at the pool and it took ages.

It’s a nice location with an amazing gymn. U can easily spend the day in the hotel, which provides spa, pool and fitness.

The room size

Smell of entrance, could hear all the noise from the restaurant, bar and kitchen in room. Also got checked into a room with someone already in it - awkward! Also room service was very poor.

The room size

Hi-Fi with no Wi-Fi
    • One-Bedroom Suite

The WiFi stopped working and no one could figure out where the router was to reboot...the entire IT is remotely supported.. Couldnt get any work done.

The Rooms are spacious and clean

I had a beautiful birthday weekend at the hotel with my partner.

The fact that I could not order food while I was relaxing at the pool deck because there were no waiters by the bar. When I called the kitchen they refused to take my order saying they can’t deliver at the pool deck ☹️

The bed in my room 😍

The only two good things about this five star hotel are:...

The hotel's interior is pretty dated, thick, old carpets, dimmed light, darker colors. The service is absolutely ot up-to-standard for a 5 star accommodation: unfriendly, confused, chaotic, shuttle not on-time (stranded at night in Sandton), not really helpful. Booked a room for two, the room was not prepared for two, but only for one person. Calling the reception two times to get it right (bathroom amenities, towels etc.) and in the end still not the right amount of towels. Room cleaning sub-standard: when arrived fat stains on the window, asked several times for getting that cleaned, did not happen. Overall strange and sub-standard room cleaning patterns, like putting used towels (from the floor) back on the rack, throwing the fresh blanket on the floor to change the sheets of the bed etc. Then several times a day service people in room, which bring water, close or open curtains, put mats on the floor - no recognizable pattern, just "something new" everyday, thereby just confusing the guests. Hand-held shower in the bathroom etc. Really, really not up-to-standard. Cannot recommend at all.

The only two good things about this five star hotel are: nice views (on the upper floors) and a tasty breakfast - but then the breakfast and food in general is nearly everywhere tasty in ZA. Which leaves only one positive thing: the view. For a five star hotel that is not enough.

Overall the hotel is Ok but could do better with a little touch ups
    • Business Class Room

The restaurant food not very tasty even the fruits were bitter some of the dishes were cold juices were bitter.

I like the free wifi, room size, coffee facilities

Old hotel bad service
    • Business Class Room

Rooms are old. Service and restaurant for dinner are terrible - bar and hotel pool are dismal with staff openly ignoring the guests. Hotel taxi service is a way over priced

Good location and WiFi

Very comfortable.

Bathroom scales didn’t work and the coffee machine could have done with instructions.

Very comfortable. Excellent facilities. The breakfast selection was one of the best ever.

Good quality, convenient for business with amaxing gym

Coffee/ water in the room not refreshed consistently

Access to Pkatinum gym in same building. Hotel very accommodating on early arrival from overnight flight. Quality, diverse breakfast.

Awful, old, needs a serious makeover - staff are average and unfriendly- not what you expect

Dirty Lacking furniture Old curtains Smelly Postitutes allowed in reception( witnessed a business ex courting a postitute to his room at 10.30pm- staff turned a eye to it

Cheated!
    • Business Class Room

They added a cost in my final bill which I didn't incur. This was after check-out officer asked me I used anything in the bar which i.repkied in the negative. Only for her to smuggle a cost of red wine which I didn't consume in the bill.

The staff is terrible. They need to offer all of them hospitality training.

For some reason, I think this is the only hotel I’ve been and feel all the staff members weren’t nice and accommodating; concierge/reception, cleaners etc...

Very good

WiFi in the breakfast room poor. Could do with WiFi at the ground floor. Enables communication when someone is waiting down there. More lighting on the 13th floor lobby- a bit claustrophobic during the day

Very clean

Satisfying.

We were billed for movies we did not rent. We were not in the building at the time it was claimed that we rented the films. This was then removed from our bill.

Nice hotel with beautiful view.

There were no teaspoons in the rooms. A towel was lying on the bedside floor. One of the towels was not clean. I suggest more cutlery at the dish up stations at breakfast. It was difficult to dish up things like jam, pesto etc without a spoon or butter without a spreading knife. I had to go back to the table to fetch some. It's no biggy, but one can expect from a 5 star hotel to have these simple things in place.

The hotel is beautiful and the staff are excellent.

It was ok. Not Great

I was on the 21st Floor and still on my first night I could hear people screaming at 22h30 coming form dining area. The meals ordered from the restaurant were definitely below par compared to last month, very disappointing.

The location and view.

My stay was event free. Excellent Service; value for money
    • Business Class Room

The Consiarge should keep traffic moving at the hotel entrance. My access was blocked a few times by double parked vehicles

The Business Class Lounge and the Fitness Centre Excellent. Great panoramic views of Johannesburg from the 23rd floor

Good business hotel
    • Business Class Room

Room cleaning was not consistent with towels and turn down service.

The access to the gym was excellent benefit to this hotel. Hotel organised a conference room on short notice for a business meeting and was great service.

Hotel is excellent gym is grubby and facilities don’t always work

Gym is not clean either !

Itt seems lthat every time I stay the Sauna and Jacuzzi are not working and I’m told that they hardly ever do work. Why not get them properly fixed and not have one guy wirking and the other just lying on the bench in the sauna ! It’s an on going saga

Bedding crisp, beds comfortable and rooms clean.

I ordered the peppered steak with gorgonzola potatoes for dinner. The cheese used was blue cheese but definitely not gorgonzola. This did not meet my expectation. The TV remote batteries seemed flattish. It was difficult navigating with it. The lifts were all out of order when I urgently had to leave to go to a meeting. I was staying on the 22nd floor and had to take the stairs down. Needless to say, I left the hotel to go to my meeting in a sweaty state...

Bedding crisp, beds comfortable and rooms clean. I enjoyed access to the Planet Fitness Gym facility where I soaked in the Jacuzzi after a long day. The waitress that served me at dinner was very attentive, thoughtful and friendly.

Decent hotel, but could do much better for a 5 star rated hotel.

The room was not cleaned properly, this went on for my whole trip. Limited selection of foods at breakfast. Did not live up to the 5 star expectation.

The in-house gym was awesome. Friendly concierge staff.

Great experience except the guy at the enterance

There was one of the ground/valet staff who was extremely rude and uncourteous and did not even assist in parking. He was making horrible faces all through out. He needs to be trained on the basics of hospitality. Unfortunately (or fortunately) we came across him right at the enterance prior to check in, post which everything was just perfect.

Location and the we also got bumped up to the business class suite by the receptionist at the time of check in which was the best.

Nice experiece except for diner time, do not go there again.
    • Business Class Room

Restaurant at dinnertime is managed very poorly. Three persons nearly constantly behind a computer terminal having very little focus on guests and cleaning the tables.

Nice breakfast and great gym facilities

Large, well appointed rooms.

Large, well appointed rooms. Very friendly staff who were attentive to small details. Also, the shuttle bus was very handy for getting around Sandton quickly.

NIce big room, great food at the restaurant, good sized pool...

The double lift situation to get to your room is annoying - seems a little unnecessary, but hardly the hotel's fault! - Just poor architectural planning

NIce big room, great food at the restaurant, good sized pool and deck for a drink in the evening

DISAPPOINTING!! Get your act together please.

Disappointing. The allocated room was not made up to the surprise of the check-in staff. I had to carry my bags all the way to the room and back to reception, and had another room allocated. The new room was not up to scratch - used facecloth lying in the bathroom and at least five interruptions of staff to do various things in the room while I was working in the room. Waited for lunch in the restuarant and left after 20 minutes of waiting for service. Overall an extremely disappointing experience. Would have loved this to work as I frequently have to to travel to JHB for business and love this location. All this can be remedied with more attention to detail and more focus on the customer experience.

average stay
    • One-Bedroom Suite

They don't acknowledge club carlson members, there is no one attending to the club carlson desk, they don't offer perks for members such as upgrades etc. Room service quality is below average.

quick check in, nice big room, free wifi, quiet and peaceful hotel.

Another great Radisson Blu hotel

I'm becoming a big fan of Radisson Blu hotels, and this one didn't disappoint. Unfortunately, we only stayed one night as Johannesburg was just a stopover for us, but the one night didn't disappoint. The staff were very helpful, going out of their way to help us with our tickets and flight arrangements. The view from our room was also spectacular. Like the one in Cape Town, breakfast was also a good reason to get up in the morning.

Was an excellent stay, will recommend.
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Breakfast was good but by the third day eating the same thing wasn't. Maybe changing each day with different options will be good. Elevator doors close too quick. Bathroom shouldn't have a window into the bedroom.

Service of staff friendly and accommodating Rooms were neat Facilities were good

Browse Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg traveller photo gallery