Reviews of BON Hotel Riviera On Vaal 3 stars

Mario Milani Drive, 1930 Vereeniging, South Africa

#4 of 7 hotels in Vereeniging

• Luxury Family Room

Mouse in the room Dirty linen Paper napkins in the restaurant No tomato sauce availble or tobasco

There’s nothing to like. Staff is not friendly at all

The corridors were not as much clean as I expected to be. cleaners I think they concentrate more on rooms and entrance but not corridors.

food was excellent and their staff is very friendly and helpful

• Garden Suite

Staff were very poor .quality. Absolutely no respect for guests. On arrival, receptionist was talking on the phone. Did NOT even greet us, and when she finished the call, she turned to us and said "yes ? " What kind of greeting is that. Bar service at the pool area was non existent, even after walking up to the bar and placing an order, which they still got wrong. When I complained and said I would call the GM, they said I should go ahead. This poor attitude does not enhance any stay at the hotel.

Good location, very nice garden suite, good food. Excellent river cruise. Excellent lunch in Hotel.

• Luxury Twin Room

Poorly maintained, inconvenient billing (cash only, no charging to rooms) food poorly prepared, buffets not value for money, no other options onsite

Location proximity to golf course and river, size of rooms

Check in time should be earlier then 13:00

One could contact staff at any time and you would be attended too. They were friendly from reception to the resturant staff.

• Executive Suite

The cleanliness was bad we saw large cockroaches roaming around and 1 in our room. The food and menu was limiting only 6 options to choose from the menu. The buffet was not of a hotel standard. I was disappointed

Just the scenery and boat cruise

• Luxury Family Room

The rooms were dirty we even saw a rat. The restaurant doesn’t feel like one. Staff is not friendly at all had to wait for tomato sauce for ages only arrived when we finished our food. Fried egg was so try sounded like a plastic when one was cutting it. As a chef. I would be ashamed. Paper napkins in a restaurant are not a way to go. Am sure you have a laundry which can wash your cloth napkins

The chairs of the restaurant was comfortable

• Executive Suite

The only thing I did not like was the fact that I booked an executive suite, on the booking.com website it shows a nice double bed that leads to the lounge & has a dining room table, it also shows the picture of the 2 sun loungers outside the room, that is what I thought I paid for, however when arriving we were put on the 5th floor. The room there was also nice, but we wanted the access to the outside patio with the sun loungers on the ground floor, instead we had to always use the lift from the 5th floor to go outside. The photos on the site are incorrect, they need to be updated or the hotel was at fault at put us in the incorrect room!

• Garden Suite

This beautiful hotel desperately needs some TLC. Bath plug did not work, therefore toddler needed to shower! Patio had glass remains from previous guest. All room numbers need to be clearly displayed. Buffet dinner lacks variety ie. no stir fry or something different. This is a gem of a hotel and points mentioned above is no fault of the staff or management. The owners/shareholders need to maintain and rejuvenate this hotel!

The setting of the hotel is spot on. Staff friendly and most helpful.

• Standard Twin Room

You only get 200mb free data The bathrooms are not user friendly for big people or disabled. I struggled getting in and out the bathroom My phone in my room didn't work and I had to use my cellphone to call reception They burnt coffee grounds around the breakfast buffet to keep the flies away but the burnt smell was overpowering and made it feel like it came from your food The carpets where cleaned but had old stain marks on them

• Luxury Family Room

The sleeper couch mattress for the kids had dirty stained marks. I appreciate that the staff quickly provided an alternative bed for the kids. We were in a non-smoking floor but you could smell cigarettes smoke in the passage. I think the hotel needs to invest in refurbishing the interior of the hotel.

The staff was great especially in the restaurant and Pappi who took our orders when we were in the pool area. The manager was always visible and checked that everything is ok which you don't often see in most hotels.

• Standard Twin Room

The road from town to Bon Riviera has got lots of potholes

The fridge was nice cold, we enjoyed the boat ride as well. Wow the breakfast was out of this world, it was excellent. I liked the deck view facing the pools and the river

• Standard Twin Room

The hotel staff had no idea what was going on - gave us a menu for lunch and when they came back to take our orders they then told us they weren't serving a la carte lunch. The 'Matthews Terrace' 'restaurant' outside doesn't look like it has been used in years. The whole hotel is run down, and really needs an upgrade, cracks in the walls, peeling paint etc. The air conditioner in my room didn't work at all and the venue was exceptionally noisy.

The room was large, and the bed was comfortable. Nice views from the rooms.

• Standard Twin Room

Halaal food is a problem. We booked 2 rooms, Aircon in room 325 not working properly, so found it difficult to sleep.

The venue is close to the Vaal marathon that we participated in which made it convenient. We also stayed in same venue last year. Reception Brenda was friendly. Lady Roz was also friendly.

• Standard Twin Room

Nothing .Dont bother staying there unless you want to pay for a 4 * and get the service of a back street bed and breakfast .The staff are unfriendly and there is no service there .

• Executive Suite

The food is far too expensive for what you pay. Housekeeping just come in while you lying naked on the bed to put a bath mat in the bathroom! No porter. Boat ride turned me away and I am a Bon Hotel guest! 1 person on reception when EVERYONE books in at 14:00. The lady that had room 505 refused to leave - we waited nearly 2 hours to be given room 510 - if we had not gone to reception to find out what was happening, nobody would have bothered to call me! Asked a manageress to call someone to take my refreshments order while I waited for a room & nobody came - I had to go inside to the bar area and order. Once we had supper, we have visited a few times before, restaurant staff informed us that we now pay after the meal and not just fill in our room number - we were rather embarrassed and my hubby had to go get his wallet from our room as nobody had informed us of the changes. R220 per person for a meal is far too expensive! Especially when it is NOTHING fancy. Rice (no grave) - blan!, baked baby potatoes, cauliflower& broccoli, fish, chicken, minute steaks - nothing fancy - everything I can cook at home! Desserts were nothing fancy neither nor was starters - quite disappointed really as we have been coming to The Bon for a couple of years and from 2 years ago to now - not good! I doubt we will be back in a hurry :-( And we did NOT have the ridiculous R175 per person breakfast!

• Standard Twin Room

Can do with a makeover. Pools needs to be cleaned during the day Food was average at best. Need porters.

Excellent views . Neat spacious rooms. Friendly staff.

• Garden Suite

The toilet's flushing device was broken :-( There were no glasses in the room. The bar fridge was not stocked . At the hotel restaurant: The waitress was inexperienced. Two items that I ordered from the menu was not available.

The location and view from the room was great.

• Standard Twin Room

we enjoyed the location and friendliness of the staff. the hotel is close to town and surroundings for meals and other amenities. the proximity of the vaal river makes it a special attraction. we visited other resorts (like stone haven) in the area while we were staying at your hotel. we enjoyed our stay at your hotel. thank you.

• Garden Suite

Nobody to direct you, help with bags, paying cash when no internet reception while staying 4 days, room service bad, cold food, having to always walk around with cash in case you want a drink etc. Windows broken, Curtain hanging on a thread, carpets in bad condition in the passage, the trolley true etc.

• Standard Twin Room

There were cobwebs and a spider in the dining area. The showerhead fastber was missing so the shower could not stay stay in position at the top of the rail.

• Standard Twin Room

Communication from the staff. We sat outsit under a tree one of the people working there didn't tell us we shouldn't sit there she just went and and called the manager

The barman was very friendly

• Standard Twin Room

Old, broken and not too clean. Staff are friendly but not able to assist with anything and reception gets agrivated if you question anything. Room service cannot be charged to room so take cash as you not warned about this in advance. Food was corner-store takeaway quality at luxury hotel prices

The View

• Standard Twin Room

Only 200mb data at extremely slow speed. As i traveled for work, this is unacceptable. This is the sole reason for my poor rating. I will only stay there again if its unlimited and at normal asdl speeds. This is really a huge deal breaker for me. What a let down!

Amazing location next to the vaal!!

• Standard Twin Room

the facility needs some TLC- could see that it used to be a beautiful building ....the furniture is old Supper- was cold and the service and not great. We paid R175 per person for supper which was cold

the boat ride

• Standard Twin Room

On my last day I went for breakfast and one of the food was marked 'poultry' sadly it was poultry and Fish. I don't eat Fish that could have been fatal to me.

• Garden Suite

There was a miscommunication in our picnic booking, resulting in a 1 hour delay with incorrect items

All was great, friendly willing stuff. 5 star treatment

• Standard Twin Room

Hotel looks tired , needs to be spruced up in appearance. Woodwork worn and sticky. Food not varied enough for a long stay. Food was overpriced.

Room condition was good and serviced well, housekeeping was very good.

• Luxury Twin Room

They overcharge me and billed my account with R2100 for breakfast that we never ate there. Put Two unauthorized transactions through on my credit card on the 21st of January. I queried this as well as the transactions. I received an e mail first that they will send me video footage who ate on my account . Nothing received only that they owe me the money. Then another e mail that the amount they now owe me is over six thousand rand that was illegal charge and debit to my credit card. I have asked yesterday they must deposit it back on my credit card where it was drawn illegal. There is no maintenance on that place . Reported aircon twice nobody came to see what the problem is. The matras of every bed is very dirty as well as the carpets and furniture is old. Time for a whole revamp as wel as on the lifts. Specs for disable room absolutely not right. Will not recomend this place at all.

We booked disable room. No room it took about 45 minutes to get the room. In advance I told them it was my husband 60th birthday. Did nothing special at the table or room to welcome him after I arrange with Jean Pierre one of their staff.. The front desk manager assist us to get the disable room .

• Luxury Family Room

Room 423 - The member who assist us when we arrived seems totally incompetent although he was friendly. We could not use the coach as it flipped to the inside. The tap caps both fell off when we turned the water open. We received 4 sachet coffee and 4 tea but only 2 sachet of milk. The bottle water advertised was a closed plastic bottle of water, we received a glass bottle filled with water. A very small note was put on the side of the basin that we need to leave towels on the floor if we wanted it changed. Not at all noticeable. The buffet /carvery on the Friday night was not at all revealing. The tomato gravy tasted as if it came out of a tin. We took a stroll the Friday when we arrive. Plates were left on the grass next to the Boat. The Sunday when we left it was still there. This after numerous staff members passed it when people went for the cruises. From when I enquirer and made the booking I informed them I am there to spoil my husband for our 30th Anniversary. No one even made an effort to congratulate us or made it special for us.

The breakfast was good although on the Saturday morning everything was not set up on time. No milk or teaspoons on the table. We had to wait to be served with eggs. The Sunday all went well. The service from the waiters at the bar was good and the waiters who served us out on the patio.

• Luxury Family Room

The rooms are in serious need of an upgrade. The hotel and the facilities are run down and not very well maintained. The cleanliness of the rooms are questionable. People smoke in the rooms even though they are non smoking. The breakfast selection is not the best especially if you are halaal/kosher.

I liked the facilities and the staff were very helpful. The views were spectacular. The lady at the play room is wonderful.

• Luxury Twin Room

My USB was left at premises n staff did not get back to me in 2 weeks after me calling a few times. They then mentioned that housekeeping said they didn't find anything after 2 weeks.

The scenery and facilities

• Luxury Family Room

Their room furniture is old and depressing, the carpet was dirty.We find a cockroach in the water kettle.there were no lights for about an hour on our first night.

Their breakfast was OK. the outside view is beautiful.

• Standard Twin Room

The place is very nice, but needs some TLC; paint and most of the umbrellas at the pool needs to be replaced.

Rooms are comfortable and breakfast was very good.

• Standard Twin Room

Infrastructure poor lack of maintenance, tv channels not clear, couldn't stand it anymore packed up and left the room at 22:00pm didn't bother to stay over base of bed was uncomfortable and aircon noisy

Food is good, staff are fast

• Standard Twin Room

The food especially the breakfast and the wifi connection was not good

I liked the facility it's beautiful, the staff are friendly, the rooms are simple and beautiful with a good view to the river

• Executive Suite

Hotel Rooms were disgustingly dirty, Aircon didn't work, No service in any regard. Unfriendly staff. No boat launch facility. ! Expensive ! Terrible Food !

• Luxury Twin Room

I was @ room 223, maybe consider putting lace curtain as well, so that guest can be free to open curtain. The view is nice, but without a lace curtain is difficult to open because people are sitting outside next to the pool & at the garden can easily see us.

I was happy with our room, more especially because we where travelling with a child, so that privacy is there.

The airconditioner did not work. No porters available. The coctail Bar is not in operation. There were a noisy group of people around the pool

the view is beautiful and location great

• Standard Twin Room

Due to the weather we had no electricity at the bedrooms, please get a generator that will be able to supply the bedrooms when there are no lights

Everything...the staff were helpful and friendly. enjoyed the food

• Garden Suite

Everything the gym was dirty, the breakfast was not good, unfriendly stuff, check in took forever and the property was not clean at all.

the only thing I liked was the location and the breathe taking view.

• Standard Twin Room

The aircon doesn't work and it was extremely hot. As a result we never had a good nights sleep. power failure but generators only for emergency lights which meant breakfast was a bit of a disaster but no compensation for that.

the room was spacious and linen clean.

• Standard Twin Room

I wished the WiFi worked better and transportion from and to the spa.

I enjoyed the fact that the TV had proper channels, the food was lovely and reasonable prices.

• Luxury Family Room

THE pool surrounding , Pls upgrade the grass area and pave a broader section of the pool area . our feed was get messed with grass and I also notice that most swimmers were washing their feed in pool, to get rid of the grass from under their feet.

We had a buffet , there were only two choice of the mail meal . and definitely no value for money.( Friday night ) Saturday chicken pieces and Fish , needless to say we did not eat at the restaurant. We did not eat breakfast , AGAIN WE DID NOT SEE ANY VALUE BENIFIT

• Luxury Twin Room

Didn't like the fact that there was no ala carte menu. The air conditioner in our room did not work.

The hotel is clearly in need of maintenance and has seen better days. The first room we were put in had a wet carpet that made the entire room smell like wet dog. Very musty smell. We were then moved to another room and found that the air conditioner did not work. We contacted reception at around 19:30, they could not find the maintenance person for 2hrs and we eventually received a fan at 22h30. The ladies at reception were very helpful and probably the saving grace of our weekend. So thank you to Brenda & Elsie at reception. And thank you to Nompi our waitress in the restaurant who gave us excellent service. All in all if the hotel was better maintained and the menu had more options instead of only being offered a buffet this would have been a great weekend instead of a good one.

• Luxury Family Room

The bathrooms (ie Shower) is terrible. The Tub was clogging and the rim of the tub was dirty. I didnt expect such an ugly bathtub with shower in the good looking room. It was old!

Size of the bed in the room Cleanliness at the Hotel

• Standard Twin Room

The air conditioning was not very effective., perhaps some maintenance is required as the room did not get cool.

Rooms were neat and made up each day of the stay. There are a lot of activities available at the hotel so it is not necessary to drive out.

• Luxury Twin Room

The idea of buffet only I really didn't like it, I don't mind the buffet but there should be other options as well from the menu. Not everyone is a bigger eater in the morning. And the waitresses were very incompetent and unprofessional. They don't seem to have been trained at all. I literally had to go find the waiter every time I needed something because they are not even visible, they sit wherever and do whatever, who knows what.

The location of the place has a peace of mind. The room was great and it accommodated us and my 9 year old boy comfortably.

• Luxury Twin Room

Hotel feels a bit run down... Needs maintenance. Service was poor interns if availability of service staff. Front of house staff especially reception could be friendlier in their approach and demeanour.

• Luxury Twin Room

the breakfast and dinner buffets are quiet over priced.

It is the perfect getaway not too far away from home, but far enough to make you feel like you on holiday with its beautiful Vaal River views, comfortable bedrooms with beautiful views and a truly excellent overall vibe and lets not forget wonderful pool and service at the pool!

• Luxury Twin Room

A lot of small issues. Pool was green, so we could not use it. No draft beer, they said it wad the supplier this sounded stange since it was availabld everywhere else. On booking .com it said free internet but that lasted on 4 hours then we needed to pay.The building need maintenance

De view ia great

• Luxury Twin Room

The reception staff weren't friendly. The restaurant menu is very expensive. The room: There was not enough towels, the room is dark, the air con didn't work in room 316, the bathrooms need a lot of maintenance (taps don't turn well enough for water to come out) the bathroom is very small. When requested milk, it took very long to get what was requested.

• Luxury Twin Room

We didn’t like almost everything. The rooms were old and dirty which made it uncomfortable. The bathtub was yellow and had scratch in them. The walls had mould and the paint was peeling. The towels had stains on them that looked like yellow urine. The bedrooms were old and dusty. The whole place needs a revamp. Because of all these issues we left the place one day early and we never even got a refund.

The staff was friendly and the view was beautiful

• Luxury Family Room

Staff weren’t very knowledgeable and not all too helpful. Upkeep wasn’t so good. No working WiFi. Air con was broken. Steps were broken. Furniture not too modern

Location and view

• Standard Twin Room

All my expectations were not met. The four aspects that attracted me to the Hotel. 1. Golf I requested a booking for golf on the 31st Dec. The Golf Course closed early that day and closed on New Years Day. 2. I booked for a body massage on New Years day but closed on New Years day 3. Lunch Cruise. I booked for a lunch cruised only to be told on the day of the cruise that it was fully booked. 4. Check-In. We requested an early Check-In but we waited for 3 hrs before we could check-in

Bed very comfy

• Luxury Twin Room

The WiFi wasn’t working. The Mini Bar fridge in our room was not cooling whatever drinks we had put in.

The breakfast is excellent and we really enjoyed the view from our bedroom window.

• Luxury Twin Room

The staff is not friendly and very disorganized. Our room was changed when we got there so that affected us in morning when we had to have breakfast. The staff did not change dirty linen and towels. It was said there are two restaurants on the property to only find one with not much variety of foods to choose from.

Nothing besides the cruise.

• Luxury Family Room

The rooms were not prepared we had two wait. The request for rooms to be next to each other not done by the manager sort it out

The room was comfortable. Breakfast and setting was excellent

• Standard Twin Room

The address on the confirmation letter was dismissing although we used the navigator and put it in as it was written but we were almost in danger as it took us to the dogdy road. Maybe add a number to your street address, not just a drive or recommend to your customers to instead just search for BON hotel in the navigator.

• Standard Twin Room

Bedding was dirty, no towels on arrival, rooms ok but old, beds made but to a poor standard. Had to request for sheet to be replaced and towels

Food requested was provided with a smile and quick. Platter over priced.

• Standard Twin Room

Toilet didn't flush properly. Food specials advertised was not available. Only provide bafet meals, that is very expensive most of the guests went to other restaurants, they should really relook at having a standard menu and keeping the bafet for conveniences Ext.

Not to far from home, close 2 other attractions

• Standard Twin Room

It was a struggle to get out of the bath tub... Bigger handles will provide more security for hoisting oneself out of the bath. I think this is a safety hazard that needs urgent attention.

The atmosphere is pleasant. The towels are luxurious and the toiletries are of good quality. friendly student waitresses. The beautiful scenery that provides serenity.

• Standard Twin Room

Rooms have dirty carpets, air con didn't work in our room. Bathroom needs an upgrade. Only dinner available is a buffet dinner that does not cater to vegetarian or halaal. Lunch menu is limited. They have no variety to point of having Vanilla Cake as the cake of the day every single day we were there. The pool area needs more seating and umbrellas Staff are not very friendly or helpful

Good views of the Vaal

• Luxury Family Room

Firstly our check-in was delayed by 3hrs due to "housekeeping" issues - ended checking-in after 17:00! During checking-in, the attendant took another call thus delaying us even further! The aircon in our room was noisy, rattling throughout our stay and the blankets provided were smelly. Not sure what happened to the hotel as we've always enjoyed our stays. It seems to have degraded over the years.

• Executive Suite

Reception too busy, needs more staff. Guests should not be allowed to play their own portable music at the pool. New and more umbrellas needed at the pool.

Excellent food at the restaurant. Aqua lounge cruise was enjoyable. There are things for kids to play. Good location and great views from the rooms.

• Luxury Family Room

The reception reception terrible... Short skinny girl... I didn't get her name... When we checked out there where old beds lined up at the elivater... Bad pr...

• Standard Twin Room

The hotel is old...old lift door old bathrooms old hall ways... no 24hour room service... no charactor in the rooms just boring... the hall ways are dark.... o and of cause No potter.

Water pressure was good and hot.. the hotel was clean food was nice... the view was beautiful.. the airconditioning was really good

• Luxury Family Room

Cutlery was not clean , actually not washed glass has lipstick on - the cutlery was a let down both days I was there

The room was comfortable and clean

• Garden Suite

It's just looking quite tired and worn. Everything was acceptable, but nothing felt particularly luxurious. There had been a flood of some sorts in the passageway so the smell of wet carpet was unpleasant. The restaurant menu is extremely limited, as is the room service menu. A toasted sandwich and hot chocolate took 75mins to arrive using room service (I actually had to go chase it up at the restaurant). When the restaurant staff eventually arrived with my slip to sign, I asked them if they could take my plate and mug away (I'd finished eating) and I was told they couldn't because they didn't have a tray with them and it was house kepeping jobs anyway. So I sat with a dirty plate and finished hot chocolate glass in my room for the next 22 hours until I checked out. The buffet is expensive at close to R200, and really didn't seem particularly special. The reception staff were lovely though - warm greetings and farewells.

The view was stunning and the locations very convenient.

• Luxury Family Room

On the 3rd November was my birthday but no one from the staff even management of the hotel send me a message, means they don't consider that unlike other hotels and companies who has your particulars....

The environment in general is quite and beautiful, need a place like that just to relax, breath and taking it easy.,

• Luxury Family Room

The room air con did not work, so the room was either very cold or very hot depending on the weather.The lunch buffet was really not great, especially for the price of R195 pp.

Overall the stay was pleasant.

• Executive Suite

It took more than an hour for extra teas and coffees to be delivered to our room. The restaurant doesn't have enough cutlery and crockery

The area is nice

• Standard Twin Room

Check in i was told I booked only doe one person. This was not the case. And even if it was the price is per room... I specifically asked for twin beds and it was changed to a double, the buffet was pricy and quite shocking...

• Luxury Family Room

We had binner that was a buffet and the meat was not right we spoke to the waitresses who did nothing and just say we must pay. Not good services. There was also only one bath towel in the room . One glass no dringing water .

• Luxury Family Room

-dirty rooms with no towels in the bathroom or either discoloured old towels -linen very old and discoloured ( used to be white) -dinner on arrival was disgusting , with only pumpkin as a veg, staff not friendly , no still water in the restaurant, had to wait for 30min to be given spoon for hot chocolate

environment outside the hotel was awesome

Browse BON Hotel Riviera On Vaal traveller photo gallery