Reviews of Riviera Hotel Durban

127 Margaret Mncadi Avenue (Formely known as Victoria Embankment Esplanade), 4001 Durban, South Africa

#41 of 54 hotels in Durban

What i liked is that the receptionist was very kind and...
    • Budget Double Room

What i did not like is the water was always cold even in the morning around 7am and also did not like the white ladys attitude she jst passes u like you are nothing with attitude while shes a manager or stuff, and another thing we cant be forced to buy food at your hotel please change that.

What i liked is that the receptionist was very kind and friendly , the rooms where very clean

Bad service
    • Budget Double Room

Linen wasn't clean Not tea in the rooms Untidy/ dirty iron/ the whole hotel have one Iron!. No Adapter..I fully understand that this is a budget hotel but they should work very extensively to improve the service. No DS

A very majestic view of harbour

It was ok
    • Budget Double Room

Staff at the reception was not friendly towards us there was no kettle and tea staff and the fridge in the room.

The place was not bad at all it was beautiful.

R599

It is far from the beach, the check in time is 14h00 I get there earlier where should I go with all my bags? On the rules and regulations they say we shouldn’t leave our valuables behind, so I should take my phones and laptops and my clothes to the beach? Please guys fix ur lift, get another one.

The view and the breakfast

GOOD PLACE TO REST YOUR MIND
    • Budget Double Room

There is no one who welcome visitors at the entrance and also staff is not smiling.

It very clean and house keepers are so friendly thay make you feel at home

We had a very pleasant stay.Worse we were there for attending our classes the noise level was fine.
    • Budget Double Room

Only if you can service your lifts.

Your place is having more than exceptional service.Your receptionist were more than welcoming(Zandile and Mr Mbeje,Zinhle and Thami).Your service is far more excellent than 5Star hotel.

W
    • Budget Double Room

I haven't encounter any dislikes.

What a wonderful service.Loving friendly and well accommodative staff.They attend to any concern you raise to them.To the staff of Riviera you are an asset than a liability,Keep it up

Will never go back there or reccomend to anyone

the bathrooms were really old and the water pressure terrible with hot cold changing, the lifts were disgusting and unsafe, the parking was smelly and disgusting and where the cars parked smelt like urine, not safe to walk around with family (son) the reception area was insightly and plain, there was over the2 nights screaming fighting, arguing and drunk people in the hallways. Unsafe and permantly looking over our shoulders. Will never go back there again disgusted

the rooms were clean not to bad,

Helpful receptionist
    • Standard Twin Room

Horrible Wifi of 30 minuets only, as a hotel they must have an unlimited WiFi pls. If that can be changed I’ll keep going to this hotel.

Helpful receptionist

I was happy so far
    • Budget Double Room

Breakfast must also b served in.the rooms because if we go down we can b seen by people whom you dont like them 2 see u ..mayb they hafe also book n I didn't have our breakfast because of that

How if u have plasma tv's so dt we take photos wit a fashionable tv's i.e.a plasma

no comment
    • Budget Double Room

I was charged extra, when i got there The lift was not working and i had luggage to go to the 4th floor my soap was stollen from the bathroom No room service

The hotel was clean and near to all the stores

I have a great stay, the place is a good one to be, especial for that price.

The view of boats and harbour was marvelous, Bed very comfortable and room was nice and clean. Also their breakfast was great. I wouldn't mind to come Again a nd again .

we enjoyed our stay except that we had to tolerate ur terrible breakfast

Breakfast was totally out, no variets of choices, cereal is only cornflakes, when u opt for health b/f was also terrible...improve ur meals pls

i like that its closer to both sea and cbd

Rude staff, comfortable bed and great view.

Every staff member does not have customer service skills. If you are working with people that are paying for a service, then the customers should feel comfortable. I was not comfortable. I'd greet the managers and get silence. I'd greet cleaners and get silence. I'd greet the receptionist and get silence. I am not happy at all that I am treated like I didn't exist once they got their money from me.

I liked that we got a room as soon as we arrived before check in time and it was bigger.

excellent people to mingle with.
    • Budget Double Room

to have Wifi in all floors.

the room was perfect and the reception was exceptional..!! the location is best and has no safety issues. it is really a quiet place and one can relax good.

• Budget Double Room

A bit of noisy pollution from the traffic on the main road, nothing the Hotel can do about I guess

For a budget hotel it's excellent, loved the breakfast, secure, got airport shuttle got a safe to lock stuff in... For that price it's excellent

Will never return - no value for money
    • Budget Double Room

Poor parking arrangements - no direct access to hotel - had to walk far with heavy luggage. Too much noise from traffic. No air conditioning - fan was ineffective.

Nothing specific

excellent

The selected DStv Chanel's,there was not Chanel 161,ss3,ss4,182 at least give us compact Chanel's.

The view from my room breathing taking,and the breakfast was delicious.

Nice

I was shifted to floor one and it was very noisy or shebeen environment. I slept around 2h00 in the morning and 4h00 I was already awake because of the noise.

It was really nice and comfortable to stay at your hotel.

central to town, very clean rooms but no telephones. Restaurant not accomodative to food lovers.
    • Budget Double Room

No phones in the room.. had to go to the ground floor everytime i needed something. No iron was made available to me. Ohhhh no the restaurants only sells light food. No full meals. Parking has to be included in the booking fee.

The bed was very comfortable. it was laid nicely on arrival, and made the room looked like home. the pillows were comfortable. The hotel location is closer to everything that a person requires after work. the female receptionist that was working (14h00) was very kind and welcoming.

breakfast was good thankx
    • Standard Twin Room

There is no clear direction after you have jst park the car. And taking your money right away before i have just come and check the property.

It is closer to the sea en safe also

The overall stay at this hotel was great, friendly stuff and situated in a perfect area.
    • Budget Double Room

Much can be desired on the hotel parking space, it is not convenient. One double bed instead of two single beds can be used. The room needed sockets to plug and charge phones.

The hotel is easy to access, located close to the beach and attraction sites in Durban. The stuff was friendly, welcoming, helpful under the short notice booking; that was just fantastic. The room was clean, with a place to hang clothes.

Comfortable. Clean. Sweet dreams. Close to our destination. MSC passenger terminal.
    • Standard Twin Room

The colour of the paint in the passage doesn't bother me but it doesn't give justice to what you're about to see/open.

The hotel is affordable and met our immediate needs. It is clean. Linen is clean. For what we paid, we were satisfied. And you still get breakfast.

I dont understand your question.
    • Budget Double Room

You must improve your Reception. Its not on standard. Please upgrade your kitchen and They are food was not good (Breakfast). I think you put effort on marketing it on the radio but the standard. My bathroom was leaking.

Bed was awesome and bedding was clean.

it was worth a stay,enjoyed myself at Riviera hotel would recommend this to everyone
    • Standard Twin Room

nothing at all,theres honestly nothing to complain about, I mean the place speaks for itself

very friendly stuff, cleaning ladies did their job exceptionally well, the view was exquisite. Breakfast was always on point even if the bar was closed during the Easter holidays but the stuff made arrangement to keep our drinks cold

If its in their budget let them paint the building and improve their breakfast menu

The outside look. First impression always counts if they paint with a more modern and attractive paint it may overflow with clients

The inside of the rooms are clean

Fantastic experience
    • Budget Double Room

Air conditioning,Durban is very hot,should they install modern air condition everything could be well perfect

Location,the fact that it is situated near by all amenities like Durban harbour,a few minutes drive to beach,Ushaka and sincoast

The bed was confortable and the habour view also nice.
    • Budget Double Room

The carpet in the room had a bad smell, the tv didnt have SABC 3. The cleaning lady was not nice when we checked out at 10:00 just screemed " dnt lock that room" without even greeting us

The bed was confortable and the habour view also nice. Black male reseptionist friendly and helpful.The room was clean.

We survived.

The place is old and need improvement to attract more visitors not only those who can't afford better accommodation.

I didn't enjoy breakfast at all the set up and the whole eating erea was not so clean.

Nice staff,clean room and a nice harbour view....affordable prices mmmmm I'm looking forward to book

Paying for parking

I liked everything about the place except for paying for parking while you said its a free parking...otherwise everything was wooooow

Comfortable and clean.

Someone who was cleaning there on Saturday drank our whiskey that we left and on Sunday i left my juice and i wanted to see if I'll find it the way i left it or not and again someone drank it because we found a little left.

The people who worked there were so friendly and i liked the cleanliness more and not forgetting the sea view.

Twas a lovely place to be and would definitely recommend to family and friends

The parking facilities

Even though the water was cold at night,it brought some uncertainties but was OK in the morning.It was quiet and welcoming area to be in there.

It was nice but there's room for improvement.

Carpet moisture smell, very restricted entrance and the restaurant hostile service

The harbor view and definitely comfortable bed, the most appreciated experience was the hustle-free extension of my stay due to check-out time and transport arrangements clash, really appreciated.

Riveria Rating

-Water takes forever to be warm or hot -There's was no variety of cereal. It was corn flakes only -only 1 egg for breakfast

It's central of Durban. . You don't have t9 do alot of driving

Budget hotel with hospitable staff!

Other than that, Riviera hotel is a budget hotel where you get what you pay for: rather noisy room with poorly lit bathroom, quick breakfast (no high quality and choice reminded us of lunch), free wifi only on groundfloor, 1st and 2nd - restricted to 30 min/day - if need of more, you need to buy it.

Great staff at the reception which upgrades the establishment. Very helpful and willing to go the extra mile! Take time for your needs. Safety locker in room.

• Budget Double Room

The overall service.Horrible experience. Shower was cold. No hot water. Lift creaky and the free parking happened to be R14 a night. It looked like a public parking with taxis and driving school trucks. Two towels. No shower mat. I have never had such a horrible experience for R500 n worse staff attitude. Not even a smile from staff personel

Nothing at all

It is poorly managed facility and staff are not welcoming
    • Budget Double Room

Poor staff attitudes Small rooms No wardrobes Hot rooms (No air conditioning) Overall, it was NOT comfortable

I had to cut short my stay at the facility. It is poorly managed and staff are not welcoming

IT WAS HORRIBLE
    • Budget Double Room

ALMOST EVERYTHING> THE STAFF IS RUDE, SHOWERS HAVE LOUD SOUND, THE BREAKFAST IS BAD, THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS POORER AND THE PLATES USED FOR BREAKFAST IS DIRTY THAT I EVEN TOOK PICTURES TO SHOW PEOPLE

the bed only!!

The stay was good but can be even better wih a few improvements
    • Budget Double Room

1. Tv channels.a dstv will do. 2 Parking issue- not suitable @ all. Having to pay an extra amount separately not on for us. 3.Theclass stand on the basin a bit awkward n the basin itself too small. A small bar fridge just 4 drinks will do. We know eating is not allowed in the rooms but surely a drink won't cause any harm

The place was clean n comfortable

I enjoyed my stay,and I will definitely utilize your facilities in future
    • Standard Twin Room

It could have been nice if the hotel was a self catering one,I didnt like the factwhole that theres was no bar fridge

Most retail shops where within the proximity,hotel very immaculate and breakfast was delicious I must say

A pleasant stay
    • Standard Twin Room

The booking information says that guests are not allowed to bring food onto the premises. This gets a bit tricky because sometimes you want to get food from another place other than Buster's Diner. There are also no facilities in the room to allow for self catering

The bed was comfortable and the breakfast was delicious

It was okay for the 2 nights, but not for more days!

That it did not have a fridge in the room and we couldn't watch TV the way it blurred.

The fact that it was easy to find and walking distance to most places for example shops and the harbour!

Reveira hotel you are the best and I'll always visit and also I'll keep on sending my clients.

Not much all.was perfect only electricity tripping

Peter where do I start the best of them all in fact the staff is A for a way Peter helped me from.the day I started booking he went extra miles for me.to be very comfortable this hotel has always came up for me both of my kids where conceived from.this hotel:-) I love this hotel so much an I'm.coming back again next restaurant should have variety of breakfaSt and cheese will do pls just to add on however everything is nice n tasty very neat I must day,as a travel agent I have never had a problem with my clients whenever I book the hotel for them.you people always come up and cover me even last dying minute I'm proud to stay in Riviera hotel.

Comfortable and great location at a very affordable price.

Elevator broke down during checkout. We had to carry luggage down 5 floors. Also booking got mixed up as I had requested 2 rooms and only 1 was booked. However the manager arranged another room without any fuss which was cool.

Quite and neat, value for money, polite staff, filling breakfast, clean rooms, good facilities and great location.

Better

The room did not have a microwave, no fridge, there were glasses In the toilet the was a lot of noise from the cars down stairs the bedding need some improvements.

Clean

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

They very considerate.
    • Standard Twin Room

They very considerate. They know their customers and they really look into special requests. Thank you. I would recommend this hotel. I was really happy. Great service

Comfy bed and amazing view

Lift not working all the way to the ground floor, Ricoffy sachets in the room (at least get some Nescafe), breakfast area needs to be upgraded with juice options, better coffee and sauces like Chutney.

Comfy bed and amazing view

Clean, convenient location. Good Value for the Price

I didn't like paying extra for parking and I was hoping the room would have come with a mini refrigerator.

The room was good sized, the bed was comfy and the bathroom was fine. The Air conditioner worked well. Free breakfast

In city center n near harbour

Their service is very poor they using 1 lady at the break fast counter helping people coming for breakfast n at the same time cleaning the tables and preparing breakfast at the back...thus making their service very poor.... They should employ more people especially during this festive period.... We were bound to check out by 10am but the cleaning lady was at our door 9am telling us she have to clean the room..why so early n yet we were told check out is 10am?

In city center n near harbour

Good breakfast
    • Standard Twin Room

We booked two rooms and one room was without shower. It had bath, but there is no shower. How?? It's like a lottery, if you win shower or not. Electric socket worked bad

Good location, perfect continental breakfast (you can choose). One I chose included bacon, eggs, toasts -- really good.

I felt like I was on holiday the room had the atmosphere the bed the view.it was great & affordabl

The surrounding of the hotel made us uneasy especially when we had to get taxis to the beach...and reception area needs abit more lighting and character

I loved the view of the harbour especially at night and the vintage elevator and the mouth watering filling breakfast

The breakfast was good and the bed was comfortable, the view...

It was going to be better if wifi was reaching all the rooms and their parking is not that great.

The breakfast was good and the bed was comfortable, the view was great.

A hotel for the experience

We booked a family room direct with the hotel and the toilet and shower were too cramped. The rolling entrance door was very small. The reception area was too dark and very unprofessional to my liking with old technology systems. The old OTIS lift with navy carpets was also too hot. The passage areas were too dark. The hotel needs renovations to meet the current trends.

Helpful receptionist and the beds were comfortable. Breakfast was freshly prepared and enjoyable.

Nice place at the harbor!
    • Standard Twin Room

Really loud in the evening and early in the morning. No shower in the bathroom, only bathtub.

Nice place to sleep, directly to the harbor. Great parkplace next to the Hotel, which is really cheap.

My stay was so excellent

Lift stuck but it was good for me and it ddnt bother me dat much bcz it a unexpected error

I like the bed was so comfortable and the bathroom was so clean n the view of the room it was wow breakfast is too much,u eat for the whole day,it was great

Nice Experience
    • Standard Twin Room

Not Working Lifts*under maintenance they say*.... cigarette smell/smoke from the bar

Everything I guess, no noise ,Clean room/bathroom, Affordable, definitely will be coming back.........(how about self-catering service?)

• Standard Twin Room

The breakfast is frugal and poor-quality. You have to wait at least 15min for one tiny yogurt and a canned fruit salad! The parking is not included, nor is the dubious wi-fi. No restaurant around.

I would like to say if u put the telephone in the rooms so...

I would like to say if u put the telephone in the rooms so if i want something at restaurant so I can phone thats all thanks

I would like to say if u put the telephone in the rooms so if i want something at reustore

Breakfast is excellent, Rooms are neat, staff is good well...
    • Standard Twin Room

Bar closes at 10 :( ,Cold drinks must be included on the breakfast some of us doesnt drink tea and coffee, suppose to be optional whether you like tea, coffee or any type of drink.

Breakfast is excellent, Rooms are neat, staff is good well trained. Nice view facing the hubour.

Better options available

The place felt run down. Yes, they keep it clean, but everything is a bit old and there are signs of decay and aging, especially in the bathrooms. Not a great location with lots of traffic noise. Walls and doors are thin. Also the parking is in a separate building.

Nice staff and ok value. The bed itself was ok. Next time I would stay in a different part of town.

smoking of weed on my floor when it clearly said no smoking.

smoking of weed on my floor when it clearly said no smoking. Bath tub with no shower handle only single taps. Loud noise from extractor fans. Crap breakfast.

we had a great stay at the hotel.
    • Standard Twin Room

We booked twin rooms but they did not advise us that it is double beds and not two single beds in the rooms :(

we had a great stay at the hotel. Thank you very much for the great service you gave us

A place i can go back to time and again...
    • Family Room

No bar fridges in the rooms..If you can organize bar fridges in our rooms

The service was excellent.The staff was very friendly and very helpful.The food was very nice and we ate as much as we could...

It was good,value for money accomodation
    • Standard Twin Room

Lifts got stucked for almost 3 days and have to walk to 5th floor everyday.There were couple fighting during the night and it seem like management did not interevene as the noise kept on disturbing till early hours of the morning.No bathroom mat

Easy to access everything even if not using a car.Rooms where clean and breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Great hotel for the Comrades Marathon

No complaints at all.

It was in close proximity to the ICC. Easy walk to register for the Comrades. It was an even easier walk to the race start. It was very good value for money. Beds and towels changed every day. Basic but clean and comfortable and the breakfast was better than you'd expect for the price. It was just a short walk to lovely beaches and to Wilson's Wharf which had plenty places to go for something to eat. Definitely a good choice for anyone daft enough to do the Comrades! There's a lift!!

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Great hotel

It was not allowed to bring food to the room, it was strictly forbidden, (it said they have the right to check all bags if desired!). That was not a nice thing, felt like some kind of prison rule rather than a hotel. Why not let people bring a sandwich or whatever, they are paying for the room including the cleaning, not a big deal to vacuum some possible crumbs. This was a first for me, there has not been a rule like this in any hotel/guesthouse/apartment I have ever stayed in. Everything else was great though, this was just weird.

The room was beautiful, nice and friendly staff, tasty breakfast (you got to choose from a menu, there was vegetarian alternatives), location was great, nice view from the room. Overall very good hotel.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Shabby security.

The fact that there just ordinary locks to to rooms.You can buy these type of keys at any lock smith or hardware shop.I was very uncomfortable with this situation.

Nothing really.It is in an unsafe part of Durban.

was okay but not my style. Its ok for young people I think.
    • Standard Twin Room

Very noisy from the road and also the guests at the hotel.

Staff were very helpful. Firstly the lift was not working. Being over 60 and having a room on the 5th floor was not very welcoming. The receptionist moved our room to the second floor which was a very nice room phew but the noise from the road and very noisy guests - so sleepless night!

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

The place needs complete revamp

The lift is too old and scary The passage walls too dark please change that paint Everything is too old for that place revamp. You have to spend money to get money.

No comment

Easy to find convenient,the staff is cool too.

I didn't like the food I bought from their restaurant. The pizza was very bad I ended up sleeping on a empty stomach because the pizza was burnt.

Easy to find convenient,the staff is cool too.rooms are clean everything is perfect

Loved it with little to no disturbance

They need a bar fridge

The room was well kept and the view was amazing, guy in the restaurant was friendly unlike lady in reception during the day. Plus they had clean towels, shower cap and shower gel,small things that matter

I enjoyed my stay at Reviera hotel, the staff and management were very helpful

I didnt like the fact dat I had to pay for overnight parking, and the free wifi was only at ground level.

The room was perfect as I requested with ocean view.The hotel is very economical,and therefore we had a very limited breakfast as compared to Gauteng hotel where breakfast is kinder self service.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

the property seemed a little older than actual pictures, ...
    • Family Room

receptionist was not welcoming at all , and the advertisements said prices includes breakfast but we had to pay money every morning to get proper breakfast

the property seemed a little older than actual pictures, the tiny receptionist was rude and not welcoming

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Reasonable budget accommodation next to the harbor
    • Family Room

The buildings adjacent to the property seemed a bit dodgy, making us feel uncomfortable. However, once inside the building you are fine. The parking facilities was ok, dirty but safe i guess - not to mention that some of the staff managing the parking was quite rude on the first day. However from the next shift on-wards it was ok. You have to pay on a daily basis for daily and/or nightly parking. As far as the room goes: 1. we had a harbor facing room with a balcony. The noice from the traffic down below was quite troublesome till late in the evening, and early in the morning. 2. The bathroom was very small - and not really ergonomically designed. For instance - the basin was so small and low that i couldnt really brush my teeth, without bending akwardly down. Washing your face is a big no-no - as there is a cupholder in the way that makes it nearly impossible if you are larger than 1.5m 3. There was this overwhelming smell like wet carpets in the passage - which was surprisingly gone when you in your room. 4. Not a big thing- but the TV was extremely small :-) 5. There was not enough power outlets (i think in total there was 3 - 1 for the TV, and 2 for the bedlamps). Which meant we had to unplug the TV to use the kettle (and i love coffee), as well as the bedlamps to charge our devices.

Loved the breakfast, and the friendly staff THe room was quite spacious - and comfortably slept a family of 4

Disappointed

The accommodation was not up to standard, the lifts is very doggy and frightening as well as the room had a bad odder. Didn't compare to what was seen on Booking.com. We were there for at most 30minutes in the room and decided to leave.

Browse Riviera Hotel Durban traveller photo gallery