Reviews of Ryneveld Country Lodge 3 stars

#66 of 90 B&Bs and Inns in Stellenbosch

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Pleasant, friendly, well-situated
    • Queen Room with Kitchenette

I have a cracked rib so the steep narrow stairs to my room were a challenge as was the big step into the shower. Also, as a woman on my own I did feel slightly insecure at night having to park my car at the back, unlock a gate, navigate my way through an unlit area with very uneven stony ground around a tree to a door with a lock that was a challenge to get open. I am aware that not all rooms are like this, especially those part of the main block so perhaps it is a good idea to ask when booking which room you will be allocated. My husband would have absolutely loved the room!

Comfortable bed, good breakfast, very friendly staff. And good value for money as it is centrally located and within walking distance of shops etc. The hosts were so kind as to allow my son to join me for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Internet was down for most of my stay.
    • Double Room with Kitchenette

Internet was down for most of my stay. I was in room 10, using Ryneveld 3. A room move was offered but I declined as I thought it would be too much trouble for the staff.

A lovely stay.
    • Classic Double Room

I had a lovely stay at Ryneveld country lodge. The staff were courteous, friendly and professional. The omelette at breakfast was exceptional. The comfortable bed and fluffy blanket ensured a good night's rest.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

interesting.

Entry to our room was a bit complicated but it was offset by the peace and privacy the slightly out of the way position afforded. All in all value for money.

clean, tidy and friendly. Also warm on a cold night.

Would not recommend it.

Would not recommend it. The sheets on the bed were dirty and instead of the suite that we booked we got a much smaller room that was far from the displayed quality.

Beautiful, quaint, Old-World charm.

Beautiful, quaint, Old-World charm. Centrally located within walking distance of tourist attractions and restaurants. Staff went out of their way to wait for my late check-in. Wonderful breakfast selection with made-to-order options. Will definitely stay there again, if given the opportunity!

We will be there again soon.

Nothing really comes to mind. Everything was to our satisfaction.

From the moment we checked in to the moment we left we only experienced friendliness and efficiency from the staff, meeting all our needs and requests. Breakfast was great.

Everything was quite well the rooms and environemnt was...
    • Double Room with Kitchenette

I dont want to lie i really enjoyed. It was short tym but i depart whilst needing to stay. The members of the lodge were very helpful all the tym

Everything was quite well the rooms and environemnt was intertaining

Will come back for sure!
    • Cottage

The tribe(my three little ones) and I loved the cottage with outside table and chairs. Loads of space, amazing selection at breakfast...and super friendly reception staff.

Top location

Unfortunately our direct room neighbours loudly got up at six in the morning. This is clearly not the hotels fault, but the walls are quite thin :/ the rest of the night (traffic etc) was however very quiet.

The rooms are simple and functional, the location is fantastic if you want to go out in stellenbosch. The breakfast was lovely, especially for the price we paid. Parking right in front of the room.

It was overall overpriced for what we got and we were dissapointed
    • Classic Double Room

The bed was horrible and uncomfortable The milk and coffee supply was not refilled The mini bar was off and stank and was sooooo dirty There was ants the entire toilet full All the gates and entry of the room was a mission There is no mirror where you can probably see how you are blowdrying or styling your hair, it is too far away for the plugs and you have to stand, I would recommend a dressing table

The breakfast was delicious The shower was great

Perfect place to stay while visiting my daughter at the University.
    • Cottage

The room was very comfortable and quaint. The made to order breakfast was delicious. We enjoyed the kitchenette, the sitting room, separate king bed, and 2 twin beds perfect for a family. The large bathroom had an inviting tub and large shower. Unfortunately with the water shortage, I had to resist taking a bath.

INTERNET WASNT AVAILABLE WHICH IS VERY ANNOYING AND...
    • Luxury Room

INTERNET WASNT AVAILABLE WHICH IS VERY ANNOYING AND INCONVENIENT WHEN TRAVELING AND HAVING TO MAKE PLANS IN ADVANCE. If you offer it as part of tge deal it should be available!!!

We will not be back !

A normal double bed only and as the room was located right on the street and across from private students accomodation , the consistent noise continued until 04h30 on Saturday morning. The TV also needs renewal.

Very central location and average breakfast.

Lovely four poster bed, very comfortable.
    • Luxury Room

Asked for a cot to be provided expecting a travel dog however it was actually an almost antique looking wooden cot in wheels. It felt quite rickety and seemed very uncomfortable for or baby. Also the high chair at breakfast not suitable for a baby as has no straps and is open - more like a bar stool. Would recommend bringing your own if you stay here. Air conditioning in room wasn’t very effective so fairly hot at night, although we did stay in the hottest month of the year in fairness.

Lovely four poster bed, very comfortable. Breakfast was also lovely. Parking provided free and location of hotel excellent for central Stellenbosch. 5-10 minute walk to all the lovely restaurants.

Will not return

Half of all rooms are scattered across the street, which was not clear from the advert. Actual room selection makes one feel that you pay for something which was left to your choice of what is still available. Breakfast is offered only from 07:30; food preparation skills are nonexisting.

Cleanliness and rooms well equipped. The dining room setting was welcoming. An impression of safety with good burglar barring and entrance control - for buildings typically of Stellenbosch "on the street".

Very central, main house with nice ambience

Very central. Very functional rooms across the street of the main house. Car park on the ground of main building. The staff gives good advice on wineries and other activities. Nice historic main building, where for breakfirst all guests sits on large communal tables.

So beautiful here!
    • Cottage

So beautiful here! Nice cottage. Surroundings perfect, pool area very charming and nice & quite here. Thank you! Brilliant last stop of a 3 week holiday in SA

Over-priced disappointment

The room was pokey and a little run down - missing light bulbs, dirty sheet, bathroom light fitting falling off, dusty headboard, TV sound constantly buzzed from electrical interference, blankets dumped into cupboard. Just feels sloppy. The building next door is occupied by students who were reveling loudly late into the night. Security in the area is clearly a problem judging by the measures on the facilities. The service and food at breakfast were un-inspired. Parking is ridiculously hard to find.

The building is a historical site - reminiscent of the town origins and is rustic. It’s central and close to most amenities.

Lovely people but small details were not there.
    • Luxury Room

Bed was rock hard. Wifi didn't work. Breakfast was not worth its R120. Pool was empty and we were not told it was empty!

The bathroom was pleasant.

Pick another hotel in Stellenbosch

We were accommodated in a room across the street. The room was tired & dirty and so was the WC. Direct exposure on a relatively busy and noisy street. Mediocre breakfast, total lack of privacy - one could hear every step (and not only) of the other guests upstairs!! Had a late 10 pm check-in, made me pay IMMEDIATELY although the first night had been paid for and they had my CC details.

The front desk ladies were nice. Free secured parking.

Good value, excellent location, nice breakfast! Overall very good experience.
    • Queen Room with Kitchenette

Safe parking is quite limited. Check-in outside of working hours isn't particularly easy.

Excellent location in Stellenbosch; good breakfast; nice quaint feel of the whole house.

Our Boxing day stay ☆
    • Luxury Room

Cottages weren't close to the pool side, tv sound kept on going away, remot control for both tv & dstv wasn't working 100%

Friendly staff, cleanliness & breakfast was amazing.

I would definitely return to this B&B; very friendly and comfortable.
    • Honeymoon Suite

The breakfast arrangements are a bit all over the place; I kept having to get up to get milk, coffee, jam, toast, etc. Could have been a bit more relaxing.

The balcony off of my room was sweet; nice to sit out with a glass of wine and have a cigarette without upsetting anyone! The bath (whilst I only had one due to water shortages) was extremely welcome on my first night. And to have a car parking space out the back was brilliant. And actually the security impressed me too.

Bedding: no top sheet, duvet cover had a tear in and small...
    • Honeymoon Suite

Bedding: no top sheet, duvet cover had a tear in and small stains and did not fit the inner, did not like the duvet to bet tucked in under mattress because it made it too short at the top to be comfortable. Headboard needs cleaning.

lucky last minute choice

Although the gate to our accommodation could lock, the actual door of the courtyard could not - so caused some dismay.

very central for university and even shopping center, yet room at night was quite. lovely courtyard and breakfast was varied and delicious

Restful and suitable

I wasn’t offered the use of the pool. My accomodation was across the road...could I have used the pool. I would have loved to!!

The peace and tranquility

Reception and room size

Very noisy, we could hear our neighbour's steps and talks like if they were inside our room. No privacy. Also the room door and window are to the street not inside the hotel.

Reception and room size

Pleasant and comfortable. A nice place to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life!
    • Double Room with Kitchenette

Comfortable bed and linen with all comforts of home. Nice breakfast selection and good coffee! Surprisingly quiet. Close to all shops, restaurants etc.

Clean and neat
    • Double Room with Kitchenette

drafty rattling doors and creaking roof; parking challenge; gate latch faulty; poor security - did not feel safe: burglar bars on windows and no security gate on a glass-door.

Clean and neat

Tired establishment needing to be refreshed.

Service at breakfast slow and unfriendly. Hot breakfast arrived very quickly before guest had time to eat cereal. Fig jam had mould growing in it. In standard room, TV very old and remote problematic. Kettle was black on inside - needs replacing.

Location was very central. Receptionist friendly and efficient

the bathroom had no window, but a fan, and had a constant...
    • Double Room with Kitchenette

the bathroom had no window, but a fan, and had a constant terrible odour the shower had a trickle of water running out most of which ran down the wall because the showerhead was stuck

Very ordinary with staff that were not really efficient or helpful.

The external appearance of the room and patio area looks old and tattered. The access to the room was difficult - a flight of external stairs and then across an open deck to two rickety stairs with rotting wood. It is difficult to carry luggage to the room. While parking is secure and reserved access in and out is difficult due the other cars belonging to adjacent property tenants that seem to be parked there permanently. Breakfast buffet layout has limited options and is not well presented. Hot English breakfast was not well prepared and coffee was weak and no hot milk was provided.

The bed was comfy with nice bedding and cushions. The room was clean and uncluttered with sufficient soap, shampoo etc. . Wi fi was good. The sloping ceiling made movement in the loft - like room difficult. I think these rooms should be described to patrons before being reserved.

Very pleasant. I`ll go again, but I WONT USE BOOKING.COM again

BOOKING.COM let us down as they displayed wrong information on their site. I queried this with phone calls and emails even sending proof. After 3 days they still remained silent and I had to call again and send more emails before they finally returned saying its my fault not theirs, despite the fact that I had proof they gave false info ion their site. RYNEVELD LODGE WAS EXCELLENT IN HELPING US FIX THE PROBLEM.

Great value for money and walking distance to shops and restaurants and Stellenbosch campus

False advertising worst stay
    • Luxury Room

Parking onsite was confirmed due to disabled person. No parking provided . We had to park in the road, no pavement access due to poor condition. Had to push the wheelchair in the road. When questioned we were told fist come first served- we came from KZN! Qhen ordering waffles and cream, no cream- just a dru waffle and bo apologies offered.

it was clean

Central but disappointing.

I was very disappointed with the accommodation. The room is actually a converted garage: the roof is low enough to touch. There is a gap between the door and the door frame that lets the wind through (we stayed in winter). When we asked for a heater the only one they could bring made so much noise we couldn't use it. The water pressure was extremely poor - we had real difficulty showering. There is secure parking, but only for one vehicle - our unit had two sections that were both in use, so we could not use our allocated parking while the other guests were also there.

Very central: you can walk almost everywhere in central Stellenbosch from here. Breakfast was good, with a couple of options available. Staff responsive when we complained about our room not being cleaned the first night (the manager left us a note of apology with some chocolates the next day). Friendly staff.

Good wifi connection.
    • Double Room with Kitchenette

The drainage in the shower was not working well. it was uncomfortable taking a shower with my feet under the water.

Good wifi connection. I travelled during winter and there was air-corn in the room so it was great because it kept me warm. I also liked the free tea and coffee facilities in the room.

Wonderful stay
    • Honeymoon Suite

Bf hated the filter coffee . Staff was a bit noisy in when removing washing from clothing line during entire day that's located near honeymoon suites and the kitchen is located just below the suite so we could hear everything the next morning when they where preparing breakfast. Breakfast was just OK not great. The steps to the suite is a bit scary but is wasn't an issue.

Stay in the best honeymoon suite the guesthouse had that was a loft suite. Im 1.7 m tall and my bf is taller. Yes we did bump our head against the roof a few times but we didn't mind ,we very much enjoyed staying in that suite, had everything we needed except for a microwave but you can use the guesthouses one. Guesthouse is very close to centre of town and close to public transport. The guesthouse accommodated us when requesting for an early check-in and late checkout. Reception staff was excellent.

A Disappointing Night.
    • Queen Room with Kitchenette

When you pay R950 for a room per night you would expect the sheet on the bed to be the correct size for a queen sized bed. Instead it was a 3/4 sheet that only covered the top of the mattress and did not come down the sides at all. So when you turned over it rucked up and exposed the mattress cover and you had the lump of the sheet under you. Secondly when the room is advertised as having a kitchenette, you would expect there to be more than just a tea/coffee making facility. While there were a few bowls and knives. forks and spoons available there was no mechanism to cook or even warm meals. The only appliances were the kettle and the fridge. Thirdly, we have a very serious water crisis in the Western Cape. I would expect guest houses to make more effort to inform guests, who are very often from outside this country, about the situation and explain the 87l per day restriction. All that was done was that there was a phrase at the bottom of the information sheet with wifi passwords etc that simply said "Please save water". There was no sign in the bathroom which contained a very large bath. I think it is everyone's responsibility to do whatever they can to save water.

It is in an ideal location for exploring Stellenbosch and the surrounding area. The receptionist was expecting us and was very helpful and friendly.

The room and bathroom were really spacious.
    • Honeymoon Suite

A noisy road nearby, loud neighbours talking outside late into the night, early morning staff conversations that woke me up.

The room and bathroom were really spacious.

Safe, clean and close to the city

This accommodation is very safe, clean and close to the city. We really liked it and Tessa did a lot to make our stay comfortable and also helped us with booking tours. The breakfast was great as well and everything (incl. the fruits) is fresh. Thanks again!

Home from home
    • Classic Double Room

Bumped my head against the ceiling. To be careful when using the bathroom.

The bed was very good Mattress very comfortable. Everything is so nice and clean. The staff very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

philip from Caledon
    • Honeymoon Suite

If you are good in parking it is a bonus, very very tight spot, but safe, so all was good!!!

the room was clean, reception lady very friendly and helpfull

• Double Room with Kitchenette

Wifi doesn't work if you're not in the main hotel (I was in the cottages across the road); this should be made clear when booking. Breakfast starts at 7:30am, which is a bit late for working guests.

Good location in central Stellenbosch.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

The location is very central and convenient.
    • Queen Room with Kitchenette

We were told we were in one room & then put into another across the road upon check in. Kitchenette was a door under stairs with a fridge & microwave & kettle - water had to be fetched upstairs in bathroom. No mirror in room at all - only in bathroom where the plug didn't work. Bedside lamp fitting broken & basin cracked..... Overall, very expensive for what we got.

The location is very central and convenient. Room was clean. Quite nice breakfast area.

Good location.
    • Classic Double Room

Bathroom was not very clean. Some of the towels were dirty. The bathroom door has not been cleaned in years. Grimy marks from make-up etc.

Good location. Central. Staff were very friendly.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Not value for money.
    • Queen Room with Kitchenette

Old TV - DSTV not working Poor lights in the bathroom, hard to see especially for ladies who need to do make-up. Staff did not replace the milk for the coffee station nor did they restock the bar fridge No complimentary water No dressing mirror or any mirror in the room Horrid parking space - we had to park in the street eventually. Noisy area as students rent some of the units Not easy to access / upstairs unit is difficult with a lot of luggage.

Clean Easy walk to some of the shops

great location and a definate for a return visit
    • Cottage

the bed in the cottage was too soft.

the location is great and wonderful to have a pool in summer. staff were friendly and breakfasts were also very good.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

Don't stay here, it is old and dirty.

This place needs to be renovated. The rooms are located directly on the street, and this gives a uncomfortable feeling. The breakfast was horrible. And the staff didn't want to help us park our car at a secure space.

Location is central

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Potentially a great place with a bit of attention to detail.

The fact that my room's TV was not working. I was then moved into a pigeon hole of a room where the wall behind the cistern hit one on the head when you used the toilet. I arranged parking on arrival, only to find out that the bay was taken on my return that evening. the TV also did not have a remote, and the channel regularly showed unavailable. Waiting for a refund for the difference between the room booked and the one I had to utilise.

I Totally enjoyed the close proximity to everything

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Conveniently located for both travel/leisure and business as it is quite close to the city centre .

They can offer anti-mosquito mats for use in the rooms would be a nice caring touch.

Breakfast was quite nice all stuff freshly prepared including the crossants and muffins

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Nice omelette and toast for breakfast one morning
    • Honeymoon Suite

The supposed honeymoon suite we booked was anything but luxury or romantic or even special. The fact it was located in the roof of the lodge with a pitched roof meant my partner who is 6foot had to crouch down to get into the bedroom, hit his head several times on the roof getting into bed, getting into the bathroom (doorway was tiny) and getting out of the bath which was also positioned under a sloping ceiling.The pictures on the website were nothing like what this lodge is like in real life. It's falling apart. Our honeymoon 'patio' with old loungers (no cushions) Iooked straight onto a laundry line where the staff would hang up washing in front of us. The building feels like it needs to be seriously renovated- paint chipping, rotten wooden beams. On arrival our room was so boiling hot (being in the roof) and 35 degrees in Stellenbosch that nobody even bothered to put the aircon on for our arrival to make it half bearable. A very disappointing stay, won't recommend it. Have stayed in far nicer accommodation in Stellenbosch that's better value, nicer locations and up to the standards we as South Africans expect from guest houses

Nice omelette and toast for breakfast one morning

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Not the best in my memorie..

Booking went wrong, rooms where given away to other guests. Only one (of 2) room came available in the end. Although really friendly staff not quite what we expected.

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

Value for money, and we were very happy with studio room #9 with a little courtyard

Tessa was extremely helpful with car hire and information. The breakfast was more than adequate and enjoyable by the poolside. Kitchen staff were very sweet.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

good place to stay
    • Cottage

Apartment with two bedrooms was ok., living area very small. Kitchenette could have been equipped better.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Good location, just a short walk to get to the restaurants and shops etc. We enjoyed the breakfast and the swimming pool and our terrace. Very cosy and homelike place.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Everything was supberb

Location and rest

All good thanks!

Location and rest

A very good stay with memorable food and beautiful rooms.
    • Queen Room with Kitchenette

Wifi connection was poor in my room

Nice cozy place. Maintained very well and secure. Enjoyed their breakfast.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Location and value for money

Location and value for money

The cottage had everything we needed & was good value...
    • Cottage

The cottage had everything we needed & was good value for a family. The location was great with quick access into town .

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

What a plesant experience!
    • Luxury Room

The authentic feel of the place and the staff's friendliness

everything else is perfect and a really beautiful place

you can hear people walk up in the attic

everything else is perfect and a really beautiful place

Excellent, fast breakfast service.

Sideplates may be added to the breakfast table for fruit peels, toast etc

Excellent, fast breakfast service.

Will definitely use this lodge again if I have to stay over in Stellenbosch

Very friendly staff

Perfect getaway

The stay was perfect

Spacious accommodation close to everything

Not enough blankets on the bed

Spacious accommodation close to everything

NA

As a lady travelling on her own I did not like the room on the street, next time I would ask for a inside room off the street.

NA

Poor
    • Double Room with Kitchenette

Broken windows, door not locking.

• Cottage

A little difficult to access and a bit dated (although it is a heritage house).

Airconditioning was not workibg properly

Airconditioning was not workibg properly

Very nice and cute accommodation in the center of...
    • Cottage

Very nice and cute accommodation in the center of Stellenbosh, comfortable and clean.

Very comfortable stay, clean and well located

Very comfortable stay, clean and well located

Room 1 has a very low ceiling and we bumped our heads regularly.

Parking was very difficult to access. Staff and students in neighbouring properties were noisy.

Noisy aircon