Reviews of Sefapane Lodge and Safaris 4 stars

Copper Road, 1390 Phalaborwa, South Africa

#14 of 22 hotels in Phalaborwa

• Double Room Rondavel with Garden View

Bed a bit stiff for my back, shower mixers twisted, hot water cold, cold water hot :-) (Mongoose room)

Bushlike setup, serenity, location & great breakfast friendly staff!

• Luxury Room

One Male Staff Member was just unfriendly. Disrespectful. He was always drinking in the bar after duty. We had a quarrel. I don't think is professional for lodge staff to be drinking with guests.

Great Establishment - Value for Money

The poor wi-fi connection

I loved everything about the place, the only disappointment was the wi-fi. If they can work on that please, it will be the best I assure you.

1) The pictures can be a bit misleading, as the river ones are of the river lodge. But this booking is for the estate which is in town. So we were a bit disappointed when we realised we were not staying close to a peaceful river. 2) Noisy trucks drive down the road heading to the mine during the day time. So it's not a "peaceful" day setting but you can trade this off against the excellent value for money and the great food. 3) Noisy neighbours on Saturday evening.

1) The staff were great! Very welcoming and accommodating. 2) The buffet dinner was well prepared. The soups were delicious. 3) The gardens of the estate are well maintained and beautiful. 4) It is REALLY close to the Kruger Park gate. 5) Easy to book a game drive (and they are well priced) and our guide (Eugene) was excellent! 6) All in all, excellent value for money!

• Three-Bedroom Self-Catering House

the house was huge, beautiful and clean with comfortable beds, our house was close to the swimming pool which was awesome. everyone from the gate was friendly and helpful, we enjoyed our stay .loved it.

• Three-Bedroom Self-Catering House

The property is surrounded by roads. You can hear this when on the porch. Also the gate can be opened by remote, however no security guard present. Being South Africa (crime) this felt a bit uncomfortable.

The self catering accommodation is very spacious and well equipped. We loved the porch. Great place to sit and enjoy a braai (which was properly cleaned daily!)

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

No desk to help tourist . Hopeless .

Nothing ... not for tourist . No help desk to guide tourist for Kruger . Not at all friendly . Resorts in Masai - Kenya are much better . They help tourist to visit & plan for game visit . It’s a rip off . Will never recommend anyone .

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

Beautiful resort, very well maintained. Staff were very friendly and warm. The food served in the restaurant is its best kept secret, some of the best we’ve ever had a meat lovers heaven and excellent value. The safari options were very good also and guides very friendly and knowledgeable. Couldn’t recommend the place highly enough.

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

we where told that we had an extra money to use on checking in but the problem came up when we had to use it @ the Spa when they called reception they said they cant charge on our room until we had to walk to reception and the problem was fixed

the water park and the Spa

• Three-Bedroom Self-Catering House

Failure of staff to put the two houses we booked together after requesting it earlier even though the house next door was empty

Location and cleanliness

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

We enjoyed our stay very much. The accommodation had lots of space, cozy rooms, big and comfortable bed, fully equipped kitchen. We enjoyed breakfast area with beautyful view to the garden. During dinner there were small bonfires in the garden.

• Three-Bedroom Self-Catering House

The pool by the houses was not clean but we managed to clean it and enjoyed after

The house was very spacious, the bedroom also spacious the beds were comfortable we could easily move around,even in the front we could easily relax while enjoying our braai outside and the view of the dam

• Double Room Rondavel with Garden View

Perhaps a little more tourist information in the library on Kruger but nothing negative about the accommodation itself.

Sefapane is a great stop off/stay for Kruger with the staff and grounds providing an excellent transition from UK to Kruger. Good food with a lovely informal bar. Location couldn't be better for a grocery shop before heading into Kruger.

• Deluxe Rondavel with River View - River Lodge

It is an adventure, be ready for some inconveniences. Protect yourself against mosquitos as they might carry malaria. If booked on an all inclusive option, everything is managed for the group so you depend on the others for the day's plan. You can't walk around freely and have to leave your car in the main lodge, so you depend on transfers by the guides to move around.

We booked the all inclusive safari option and it was an amazing adventure. We stayed at the River Lodge which is located far into a private game reserve and it takes 40 min to get to it from the town. Wild animals freely come and go as there is no fence. It is as close to nature as you can get, but still comfortable and safe. The staff was super kind and the food was amazing.

• Family Rondavel (4 Adults)

The bungalow had spacious rooms. The beds were comfortable and were decorated in a unique rustic style. The restaurant and bar areas were both comfortable. There are spacious grounds which are interesting for a wander.

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

A very nice area to have perfect holidays. We had a little rondaval with an own terrace and chairs and a table. Lovely to sit outside and to look in the beautiful arranged garden with the palms and the flowers. The rondaval is very big and has a comfortable queen size bed. The restaurant was very nice and the food and service was excellent. The staff members are very helpful and friendly. The river cruise was perfect and our guide Nico was the best ranger. It is very close to the Phalaborwa Gate at Krüger Nationalpark. We want to come again!

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

We had rat faeces on our bed one night. After we got to move rooms a rat ate a loaf of bread we had on the counter while we were gone.

Beds were very comfortable.

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

The Lodge online is far more exciting than the lodge in real life. Our perceptions of the accommodation and overall look and feel were completely skewed to the reality of what we experienced at Main Lodge. Also felt that the game drives and other excursions that are on offer (at an additional rate) were far too over priced for what you received.

The food and drinks were tasty and affordable and the staff were mostly friendly at Main Lodge.

See above

Room not suited to business trip. No desk for computer. Also, two single beds is disappointing in a 4 start location. Otherwise very pleasant.

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

It might be a little loud from the road for some guests

We enjoyed the lush garden and the friendly breakfast service team. We had even an offer to upgrade into a deluxe room but we were in need of twin beds and couldn't take the offer, but it was nice to do so. The bar is well stocked, the pool was sparkling.

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

The lodge is amazing. The installations are great and beautiful. We stayed in one of the houses (ideal for 6 persons) and it was awesome. The staff is super nice. The tours they offer are even cheaper than the ones in the park, so I really recommend them.

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

Waited for a receptionist to check us in as he was on his own doing next day's activities with other customers. Do no take bruschetta at the restaurant. It is not what it is supposed to be. Not that it is not eatable but not the staff usually named like that. As for breakfast, no fruit and yogurt, you have to pay additionally for your cappuccino if you want one.

The place is very well located, just 5 minutes drive from Kruger Park Gate. The room is ok, the toilet small, hardly any internet connection. Stake and fish was good. Breakfast is not bad, All in all it is not a bad place but the general impression is minus 4 in the scale from 2 to 6. Take it if you want to be early in Kruger. It is also relatively not too expensive.

• Double Room Rondavel with Garden View

It was noisy. Reviews said good for solo travelers but I found it to be very family oriented (which not necessarily a bad thing but it was very noisy). The room was clean and nice but I did have spiders and I'm not a big fan of them. I know it's Africa and you can expect some bugs but they should probably spray the rooms each week.

Very close to the Kruger National Park entrance gate.

• Three-Bedroom Self-Catering House

I would skip this part of the trip and aim more south for in the Kruger park (nothing to do with this lodge)

Restaurant and hospitality were very good. Night safari incl Braai is a recommendation. Ranger of Sefapane was very likeable and knowledgeable.

• Three-Bedroom Self-Catering House

Our one bathroom had a bad odour which unfortunately made the room adjoining it smell bad at times.

That the ladies who came to clean up were prompt and cleaned up with no fuss. The fact that we could arrange a Safari with Sefapane. The houses are great for families as there is more than enough space and the wifi and Entertainment facilities were user friendly.

• Double Room Rondavel with Garden View

I didn't like that there's no iron & ironing board in the room, no bottled water, no microwave oven provided.

Well, the bed was really good !The lodge setting is nicely tranquil, although on my arrival there was loud music next to the reception area.

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

We were booked into a room where the tv wasn't working. The staff were aware because after we unpacked and i went to enquire i was immediately approached and told they were aware of the problem. I had to be really demanding with the manager on duty to have him agree to get a repair done. I was cool and left promising to return in 30min. The manager came to my room and politely told me to 'sort my self' out as we had been given another room..... He did not even have the courtesy to show me to the room or offer to assist in moving our luggage. The barlady really neglected us and was more keen on chatting to and entertaining her friends who were obviously local and regular patrons. She was playing her own music through the sound system and this clashed horribly with the TV sound in the br area. She was really unprofessional. If i owned a bar, no patron would ever have to ask for a drink before i offered one. The chef was chatty and welcoming and helpful although some dishes on the menu could not be served due to broken appliances. I agreed to T-Bone steak which he told me was on special(waitress/barlady didn't know about this) but although i ordered medium it was presented as rare as the chef said this is best... No, thank you. The overall cleanliness of the resort, restaurant, room and bar was poor. I had to call in for sugar in the morning....

The setting and proximity to KNP and Town.

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

The Rondavel room was a little bit to small and the lighting bad positioned.

Close to the Phalaborwa Gate of Kruger Park. Choise of different safari possibilities.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

Rondavel disappointing: beds uncomfortable, v unreliable wifi... and we had mice

Excellent staff throughout, very good communal areas, bar, pool etc. 5 mins from airport and Kruger park

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

The bathrooms are a bit outdated, definitely not a deal breaker tho

I recently stayed at Sefapane lodge and from the moment of our arrival, the staff went above and beyond to meet our needs. We arrived a little after 9:00pm after having been lost for a few hours (a little shaken from the drive), and the staff quickly arranged a full day safari for the next day as well as arranged a meal. Our full day safari was a wonderful experience our guide was very eager to show us as many animals as possible and ensure that we were all well throughout the day. While we opted to do ourselves for the rest of our stay, the staff gave us recommendations daily on what routes we should take, they provided us with an adapter for me to charge my computer, ect.. On our final day, we missed the croissants at breakfast and were worried the freshly baked ones would not be ready in time by our check out time, so as soon as they were ready the staff packed us a few for the drive. They also went above and beyond to find and store some medicine one of our friends whom had checked out the night before left in his room. So overall, I would like to thank the staff at Sefapane for their exceptional service, I wish I wrote down everyone's name so I could thank them individually. I highly recommend this lodge it is excellent value for money with great food, facilities and service. I very rarely find the time to write a review but I felt like the guys at Sefapane lodge really deserved a thank you!

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

The staff have taken over the bar area, talking loudly and the local soccer dominating an otherwise lovely area. We as guests could not even talk to each other with all the loud talking from your staff. I feel that we could have been accommodated in a change of rooms as our request was a room with a bath. This was not given as requested yet the premises was not very full at all.

Bar Area is very nice.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

That Booking.com send me an e-mail a week before that they confirm my booking....but Sefapane Lodge has heard nothing about our booking...........!!!!!!

Booking.com was to no use......they didn`t make any booking at the Lodge...The Lodge didn`t know we arrive .. That is not god...

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

Breakfast was very poor. The free wifi did not always work. When I checked in the credit card machine did not give a receipt. The receptionist said she would sort out a receipt for me. When I came to check out they tried to charge me again saying they had no record of my payment. I had to go on my internet banking to prove that the payment been made. This held up the what should have been a very check out.

The location is great and the grounds of the lodge was nice.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

The price compared to other places where we stayed was a bit too high.

We liked the house and the garden with a lot of birds in it. The park is not too big.

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

• Three-Bedroom Self-Catering House

The menu at the restaurant was rather limited, with no proper kids' options, and the service was very slow at lunchtime despite there only being one other group of guests there.

The lodges were huge and very well equipped.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

• Family Rondavel (4 Adults)

Those Rondavels.who designed those why must everyone see that someone is going to the toilets.there is no privacy when it comes to the toilet and it's is against the human rights.As per the department of human and settlement a human has the right to dignified sanitation.Make a plan and change the set up its bad.It's humiliation to human kind expecially if you have that murch for that service

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Deluxe Rondavel with River View - River Lodge

If you are booking the River Lodge, you will be a 45 minutes drive (18kms) inside Greater Kruger National Park. You will have very limited safari time - a couple of hours early morning prior to breakfast and a late afternoon/night safari (2-3 hours). The rest of your time will be spent at the River Lodge, with little else to do other than relax and watch the wildlife enjoying the Olifants River. You are not able to travel into the Main Kruger National Park which drastically reduces your chances of seeing the Big 5. The River Lodge is beautiful, however it is a sit and wait type of safari, rather than let's go find a ..... type of safari.

Great staff, who were very helpful when we had to change our booking. The safaris on offer at the main lodge are fantastic and the two guides we had had some great knowledge and humour to make the whole experience truly memorable. The safaris from the River Lodge are very limiting, as you only have access to Greater Kruger National Park, however our guide (Elias) did a fantastic job with what he was able to offer us. The accommodation itself is very nice, and as the pictures suggest.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

• Double Room Rondavel with Garden View

No desk in room. Maintenance - globes not working, insufficient plug points in room. Rump steak was small. No snacks available at bar. No welcoming bottled water in fridge.

Great sorroundings, Good walk inside the premises.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

Check in and check out a bit cumbersome and time consuming

Lodge fully equipped, we could do our own thing, watch the British Masters golf finals, cook dinner and enjoy at will, independently.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Three-Bedroom Self-Catering House

House had rodant problem which kept us awake at night as well as the droppings in the morning. The shower was blocked and flooded the bathroom. Restaurant service was very slow plus they forgot 1 meal and got another wrong. The manager when informed of these problems was uncaring.

Although the house had problems the layout and position were good. It was only a 5 minute drive to Kruger park.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

We stayed for 3 nights and 4 days. On day 3 we received a phone call to advise us that we had to move?! I beg your pardon?! Yes, move! They moved us out of one accommodation and into another accommodation exactly the same size because that's how the booking was made, so we wasted an hour having to repack our whole car, food and all sitting on the back seat of the car as we had no cooler box to pack it into as we weren't expecting to move?! Who does that?! When questioning reception, all they could say was "that's how the booking was made". The Manager, however, was very apologetic for what happened.

It is a great location in proximity to the Kruger, however if you are looking for peace and quiet this is not the place to stay. On Saturday night all you could hear was the thump thump of music all around. I think it was coming from outside so I would suggest you request a room that isn't on the boundary wall.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

• Three-Bedroom Self-Catering House

Food could've been better, unfortunately there aren't many options in the surroundings either. The airport shuttle service needs improvement; the driver didn't even know where the airport was which made us late!

Close to the phalaborwa gate, super friendly and well-mannered staff especially our Safari guide Mr. Elias he was very knowledgeable and made our experience worth while. The 3-BR chalet we stayed in was spacious and clean.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Double Room Rondavel with Garden View

Cold breakfast Price of room is too much for what you get Service not good Beds very very uncomfortable Furniture outdated and cheap Bar Service very very poor

Croissants were good but cooked food was cold

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

Overall a good experience except for the diner. Ordered steak which was as tough leather. Red wine was served in a white glass while the Head Chef sat with a huge glass of red wine. Disappointing meal

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

Rondavel could do with a little attention - shower door didn't stay closed and toilet cistern leaked but otherwise was very clean and comfortable.

Nice setting, good food, very friendly and helpful staff - they organised a staff member to change my car wheel for me (without me having to for help) when they saw my tyre was flat.

Nothing at all

fokol

staff

• Three-Bedroom House

Queue to get into Kruger Park in the mornings

Great location, good value for money and great place for families

• Double Room Rondavel with Garden View

The fact that they do not serve their advertised full restaurant menu at dinner.

Delicious Burgers

NO COMMENTS

NO COMMENTS

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

There should be a curtain or a door for the shower. The water is out when you have the shower.

Staff is very helpful and friendly.

So farso good

Outside place and braai area

no wifi

greenery, the staff

River lodge has fantastic river view

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

Wi-Fi didn't work so well in my bungalow

Very close to Kruger. Clean, quiet, staff very nice

The room was small

It as not very clean

The house was big enough for my family

• Three-Bedroom Self-Catering House

They looked after us well

Tv channels

The bed rooms nice lights

Atmosphere and quiteness

Over priced

The flies

The bed was comfy.Breakfast was okay

• Three-Bedroom Self-Catering House

Houses are a little bit close to the road,

Spacious and well decorated houses. Good food at dinner. Perfect location for Kruger safaris.

The food was just wow

• Double Room Rondavel with Garden View

Spa was great. dinner was great, place was great. breakfast was standard.

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

too close to a very busy road under average for what we expected

Fantastic accomodation.

• Three-Bedroom Self-Catering House

800 rand per person for the evening ride to the park.It is too high.I was almost embarrassed.

African Lilly fantastic

• Three-Bedroom Self-Catering House

Their kids play area is old and not much to entertain the kids.

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

Breakfast need a serious improvement

mattresses were painful

privacy we got,safety and their staff were friendly

Everything was well organized

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• Three-Bedroom Self-Catering House

Bush Braai was excellent but the game drive is in a small private park, would not recommend for the price.

Excellent accommodations and facility

couldn't Fish wanted to

it's just a cosy private place a home away from home. well equipped

• Twin Room Rondavel with Garden View

the restaurant, the pool, all the birds in the garden

Browse Sefapane Lodge and Safaris traveller photo gallery