Reviews of Sundown Manor 4 stars

2 Avenue Normandie, Fresnaye, Fresnaye, 8001 Cape Town, South Africa

#57 of 249 B&Bs and Inns in Cape Town

Based on 212 B&B reviews

Great rooms and small garden, quiet location, and awesome breakfast.
    • Deluxe Triple Room

We had a glitch with the bathroom getting locked so it would not open on our arrival night... the owner was very helpful, and solved the problme

Breakfast was great

Good location for beaches and city
    • Luxury King Room

Very clean , spacious with lots of natural light .Safe with locked door and a wall around , this was important as I was alone . The room had everything I needed a kettle , safe , adapter for international plugs .

Unexpectedly terrific
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

This was a surprisingly excellent place to say! Lovely house, clean open and spacious; Wonderful staff! Gracious: the kind of people who create a warm atmosphere in a foreign place, from the cheerful young woman who was there when i arrived, to the owner, Gary, who went out of his way to see that I was well taken care of, to the rest of the staff... A very special place to stay. Highly recommended!

Very pleasant staff and nice breakfast.
    • Deluxe Triple Room

Toilet bowl was not clean so it spoiled the excelent overall picture of the guest house.

Very nice breakfast and pleasant staff. Definitelly a property to recommend to friends.

Subconsciously, I tried to miss my flight just to stay a bit...
    • Luxury King Room

Subconsciously, I tried to miss my flight just to stay a bit longer. The place is perfect! Never have I slept in a hotel bed that was so comfortable. Breakfast was rich and served on the beautiful terrace of the immaculate and beautiful villa. The multilingual staff is of the "going-the-extra-mile" kind and super friendly. Unfortunately, I did manage to catch my flight back to Germany, but I will definitely be back! Ein großes Dankeschön!

Will return. Thank you
    • Deluxe Triple Room

We have stayed at Sundown Manor twice now. Cannot recommend enough. We arrived on a very late flight into Capetown and Gary waited to let us in. All the staff were lovely. The breakfast more than adequate with plenty of choice - hot and cold. The room was spacious and the extra large bed comfortable. Real home from home.

Nice geasthouse near city. Relommend it
    • Deluxe Triple Room

We liked everything so no negative can be said.

The lookation was great and felt safe. The staff and the owner was very helpfull. We had a nice room on the first floor looking at the nice pool. Breakfast was very good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was very good. Staff very friendly. The location close to the beach and may bars and restaurants. All within 5 to 10 minutes walk. I have been in about 10 different guesthouses and hotels in Cape Town, and I found this one the best value for money!

Gary and Zelna are pleasant hosts;
    • Luxury King Room

We did not like that our view was of the parking lot, and that meant at least one morning of being woken by noise earlier than we desired from there.

Gary and Zelna are pleasant hosts; Gary clearly has a fascinating history from the attacks on white farmers in Zimbabwe 15-20 years ago and his decision to migrate. Breakfast was nice at a communal table inside or at smaller tables on the porch.

Excellent value for money!
    • Luxury King Room

Comfortable, spacious, quiet and well maintained establishment. Gary and Zelda were gracious, friendly and helpful. Thank you! Other bonuses are the excellent breakfast, safe parking and great location. Highly recommended and excellent value for money.

Sundown Manor is a home away from home! Gary, Zelna and Carmen are wonderful hosts.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

- The pool wasn't really open, but understandable given the time of year, and drought in Cape Town. - It was difficult to get a room with a view. First room I stayed in had a ground level view of the rear car-park, the other room was lower ground with a partial garden view, and little sunlight. The staff were really accommodating, and gave me the better room for 3 nights, and I moved downstairs for the final night of my stay. *Make sure you book a room with a view! - There was no shower gel/soap bar provided, but Carmen went to the store and provided me with one instead. *Bring your own toiletries!

- Gary (the owner, who made a point of personally introducing himself to me at breakfast - which was lovely!), Zelna and Carmen are wonderful hosts, and did their utmost to welcome and accommodate me throughout my stay. Sundown Manor was a home away from home to me, and I would have loved to stay longer. - Sea Point location is fantastic with lovely views of Lion's Head in the background. *20-30min drive from airport, *10-15min drive from centre of Cape Town, *2-5min walk to local shops (Checkers) and restauarants. *5-10min walk to places of worship. - Both my rooms were immaculate, clean and comfortable - I slept very well! - I most enjoyed my breakfasts at Sundown Manor, which were among the best I've had throughout my travels. - Sundown Manor is beautifully designed and decorated, inside-and-out. *The Booking.com photos don't do it justice! *additional tip for Jewish guests visiting the Sea Point community: - Sundown Manor is ideally located (within the Eruv), within a short walk of places of worship, and Shabbos-friendly. Many of the cold food products at breakfast have Kosher certification. Carmen also kindly offered to purchase Kosher food from the local Checkers store.

Wish we could have stayed longer--the perfect spot to launch adventures in this beautiful city.
    • Deluxe Triple Room

Can't think of anything we were missing--a truly lovely stay!

The facilities, decor, cleanliness and overall vibe at Sundown Manor were perfect for our mother-daughter vacation! Tasteful and comfortable while still feeling like we were treating ourselves. The staff was incredibly friendly, helpful with our Kosher food needs (and our heavy luggage) and really added to the pleasant experience.

Awesome!!!!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Water from the shower was a trickle. Not that much of a complain though due to water shortage in Cape Town. Understandable!!!!

The place was supper clean & very peaceful. The view was also magnificent & the staff was friendly. The room was huge & the bed was so comfortable

Very, very pleasant
    • Luxury King Room

The sounds from the kitchen as the room was next to it.

The super-friendly host and manager made me feel so welcome. Location to restaurants and the beachfront is very good. Food was fresh and there is a very well-stocked bar.

Great stay in a nice & safe neighborhood with restaurants and beach nearby
    • Deluxe Triple Room

As for most Cape Region, water saving applied, so pool was there and nicely set but not open (well, it was winter and not really warm, so we didn't miss it).

We felt very welcome, the House is in a nice shape with everything being clean & safe (including parking) and a nice view at Signal hill. Area feels very secure with a main street, restaurants, public Transport and Sightseeing bus stop etc neaby. Also nice parts of the beach are Walking distance. Rounding up with great breakfast and many helpful tips from staff we recommend and would definately return.

Very spacious room, extremely comfortable bed, beautiful...

TV needs a fine tune

Very spacious room, extremely comfortable bed, beautiful linen and lovely staff to assist with any requests. Definitely worth a visit.

Friendly, good location, clean. I am going to return here.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Only a suggestion: o improve a little bit the windows but they did not affect me. Nothing.

The owners and their daughter were very kindly and friendly with me. Also helpful on providing any info, help and any other thing requested. Lovely people. Beedroom was very clean. I appreciated the message to preserve the water consumption left in the bathroom. Breakfast came with different options. Near to the stadium and 5 minutes walking from the Ocean. Quite safety with some bars and restaurants nearly next. Private car parking inside. I am going to come back here in the future.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Both Gary and Peppi were very accommodating.

Pity they had no sea views.

Both Gary and Peppi were very accommodating. Peppi made a special effort with my daughter for Easter, which really appreciated!

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Recommended
    • Luxury King Room

Unless you asked for a cooked breakfast the hot buffet eggs etc were in a warmer and cold Bread and rolls not good

Very clean and comfortable Owner Gary most welcoming and friendly Location excellent Rooms spacious

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

Great - definitely recommend this hotel
    • Luxury King Room

I had informed the hotel in advance that I was vegan and they got soya milk in for me which was great. I would have appreciated more choice for breakfast but there was sufficient

Staff were very friendly; parking was secure; location was good for us as we were only there for one night en route to the airport and wanted to spend our last day to the east of the city, exploring the coast. Not so handy for the city centre, although a taxi only cost about £6 each way; our rooms were spacious and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Friendly comfortable homely
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The only thing we can say is we had a room under the kitchen where we heard heavy walking and general kitchen noise. It woke us up early every morning. Apart from that our stay was great.

Bed was very comfortable. Staff really friendly and helpful. We would highly recommend this lovely B&B.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Comfortable and safe!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The most comfortable bed I think I have ever slept in! Pepi was very helpful with advice about where to go in Cape Town and the property is in an excellent location

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Great location, friendly staff, perfect holiday
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Sundown Manor was a great location for a spontaneous solo trip to Cape Town for New Years celebrations. The staff were all incredibly friendly and had great recommendations for the area.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

Wonderful place to stay in a great location
    • Luxury King Room

Beautiful little hotel in a wonderful location. Felt like you were staying in somebody's house. Lovely, clean pool and nice little terrace. (I only stayed one night and didn't try the breakfast.)

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

5***** Holidays Experience
    • Luxury King Room

Big rooms, comfortable beds, cosy living area, nice swiming pool, super friendy staff. Restaurants and shops around. Excellent starting point to all tourist atractions.

Splendid stay in a well placed establishment, will gladly return on my next trip to Cape Town

Breakfast could use a little more variety but good enough for short stays

Bedrooms and bathrooms are large in size making it feel more like home than an undersized hotel/bnb establishment. Close interaction with owner makes the stay even better

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Value and location perfect
    • Luxury King Room

The noise from upstairs, when people moved chairs on the breakfast patio, was disturbing in the morning. Choose an upstairs room.

Great breakfasts and easy access, on site parking and a good room.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

Eenjoyable, best Guesthouse/B&B. Recommended. Will be back.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I would have liked an arm chair in the room because of my back issues. Need some form of dull light for the steps and pathway from secure parking area to front door. Felt very secure.

The room was comfortable with an excellent bed. Great nights sleep having severe back issues. The breakfast terrace is superb with a good morning vibe. Pleasant friendly staff - everyone. Gary (Owner) what a gentleman. Ill be back.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

Will stay at Sundown Manor again when we return to Capetown
    • Luxury King Room

Found the steps a bit of a bind at night - lighting of steps to be increased. A potential trip / fall hazard at present.

Staff nice and cheerful, Gary gave advice on where to visit & directions. big help! Room & bathroom large & clean. Able to use ae dining room facilities, i.e .plates, etc, making cups of tea, so as to have a meal on the premises -(tired of eating out)

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

Sundown Manor is a great find - they are doing something v right in the hospitality industry
    • Luxury King Room

I'd have enjoyed a full Dstv package

Yes fabulous beds and pleasant helpful staff who went the extra mile to assist e.g. getting jump leads and starting my car when the battery went flat because I'd left the lights on...

What an awesome place to take a break.
    • Luxury King Room

Apart from the cold weather, all was excellent!

I really liked the homely environment my husband and I received from Gary and staff. They also recommended good places to visit.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Great guest house.
    • Luxury King Room

very clean and comfortable, homely atmosphere, good breakfast and very friendly staff. situated in a nice neighbourhood with restaurants and shops just 5 mins walk, and the beach 10 mins walk away. one of the best guesthouses i have stayed in on my travels in Africa. also very interesting owner and life story.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Enjoyable stay in an excellently located Guesthouse.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

TV Bouquet was a bit limited and the one MNet Film Channel did not have sound.

Room was well appointed and the bed most comfortable. Served an excellent breakfast and the staff were most pleasant

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

-A homely atmosphere and the host is very welcoming.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

-Upon arrival and ringing the door bell no body answered, had to ultimately call the number provided while on roaming to make contact with the host.

-A homely atmosphere and the host is very welcoming.

Nice. Will stay again
    • Deluxe Triple Room

Stairs up to room. Carried own suitcases up.

Food good

Perfect. I'll be back next time....!
    • Luxury Room with Bath and Shower

No complaints, just very well organized and flexible. 5 minute walk to shops and restaurants at Sea Point.

Good selection for breakfast

Nothiing

Good selection for breakfast

Great Location and close to all of the good restaurants in Sea Point
    • Luxury King Room

Great pool to cool off in the afternoon. Awesome breakfast and good coffee.

Love the location, the property and the warm reception.
    • Luxury King Room

Some sand on the bathroom floor. Limited TV news networks (Aljazeera e.g. not on).

Breathtaking

It was a perfect get away

Great value for money.
    • Luxury King Room

Great value for money. Great location. Very friendly staff.

It was a good atay
    • Luxury Room with Bath and Shower

I don’ t really know but something was missing, but what I can’t tell

Great location lovely house

Lovely place and people. Will stay there again.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The available TV channels are quite limited.

Very easy going place. Everything you need is available.

Perfect

Such friendly,helpful staff. Lovely atmosphere. Can't wait to come back

definitely go again.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Lovely breakfast . staff particularly Gary extremely helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I got room in basement, no view from window by the ceiling.

Hidden gem
    • Luxury King Room

Lovely staff and owner always available and friendly. Really hidden gem

Good place to stay at Sea point.
    • Luxury Room with Bath and Shower

Not a good view from the room.

Spacious and clean bathroom. Close to the main street.

surprised how good was this guest house, loved it very much.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

surprised how good was this guest house, loved it very much.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Nice venue, requires some improvements for business people
    • Luxury King Room

The shower did not work well, the internet was slow

I liked the location, the room size. Staff were very friendly. Nice venue

Breakfast was plentiful with lots of choices.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was plentiful with lots of choices. The owner was friendly and very accomadating to our needs

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Hosts are super friendly and attentive, the bed is...
    • Luxury Room with Bath and Shower

Hosts are super friendly and attentive, the bed is incredibly comfortable

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Great place and great, helpful owner and staff

Great place and great, helpful owner and staff

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Good place to stay and will return !
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

TV wasnt working initially and then remote did not link to TV

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• Deluxe Triple Room

Breakfast/bed/everything was perfect couldn't ask for better.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

Great value

Slow Wi-Fi.

Great room. Tremendous comfort.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

lord it up at the Sundown Manor

coming home :)

everything from the spacious bedroom / friendly staff / location

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

The room was spacious and secure parking is provided.
    • Luxury King Room

The breakfast was a bit cold

The room was spacious and secure parking is provided.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Perfect for city break
    • Luxury King Room

Very beautiful house, lovely staff and a great pool. Perfect location

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Great location and service
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Pepi's muffins are the best! Breakfest is really good, as well is the service. Cosy livingroom and great location.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

Will stay again next time I visit with my family

Very helpful staff

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Great stay in Cape Town
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Really nice guest house with great service and huge rooms. Did enjoy the stay there :)

• Reviewed: 1 December 2016

Having to leave.

Location. Accomodation.off road parking. Laundry.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

foam pillows

foam pillows

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

Happy experience !
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

- Tv programmes did not have sufficient sporting channels - my room downstairs albeit comfortable was easily sighted by people walking past

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Wifi was not the greatest

Wifi was not the greatest

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Great place to stay in a great world class city!!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Great guest house with excellent staff. Great guest to. Must get that bottle of champagne for the great day that must come to!

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

Feels like home

Longer kettle cords

Feels like home

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Enjoyable stay
    • Luxury King Room

Friendly owners. Comfortable room. On site parking. Very good breakfast. Accessible and convenient.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

will recommend this hotel to friends

none

everything superb. thank you Pipa

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

it was a pleasant stay and the staff is very friendly and welcoming at all times
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I enjoyed the limited edition yoghurt served at breakfast on the first morning ,

• Reviewed: 13 September 2016

great business trip

Friendly staff. Clean. Great location.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

large room
    • Luxury Room with Bath and Shower

parking was a bit of a problem.

large room family feeling location good breakfast

• Reviewed: 13 May 2016

A very beautiful and cozy house!

We cannot use the stove to cook in the kitchen, but it's not bothering us too much to eat out.

A very beautiful and cozy house! The breakfast was also excellent. Nice and helpful crews, even help me with my next journey to Germany. It's such a pity that we came in cold days, so we didn't enjoy the nice swimming pool a lot.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2016

We found everything to be fine and acceptable.

There wasn't anything in particular that we didn't like. The Sundown Manor was what we expected for the money we paid.

We found everything to be fine and acceptable.

There are also 39 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.