2. South Africa hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Tariman Boutique Hotel

Reviews of Tariman Boutique Hotel

30 Wilden Place, Umhlanga Rocks, La Lucia, 4051 Durban, South Africa

#37 of 78 hotels in Durban

Read more– opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: January 22, 2019

Horrible
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

Nice place. But No service here. Hospitality is not known here. TVs no working was moved to another room with a working TV after a while just went off very dangerous electric wires hanging all around.

• Reviewed: January 11, 2019

The pool was awesome and the view from my room
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

When I arrived I was exhausted I was looking for a rest and some quiet. There was blasting music which even after I complained played till past 7 pm. No monitoring of the place and eventhough the sign clearly reads no swimming past 7pm people sit and make a noise and was heard in my room. For this reason I won't return. The second day was much better though.

The pool was awesome and the view from my room

• Reviewed: January 3, 2019

Unpleasant.
    • Economy Quadruple Room with Shared Bathroom

The Bathroom shower door was broken as well as the tap in the bathroom. The overall hygiene of the accommodation was dirty. There was bed bugs in the bed, ants and insects crawling all over the room. The bathroom window was a view to the staff laundry. There was no help from staff unpacking or packing our bags into the car. The lady in reception was hardly there and if she was, she was extremely unpleasant.

• Reviewed: December 18, 2018

Epic!!! Sha.......Sha
    • Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was not bad but same food was served in two consecutive days

Awesome location, just a stone through from the beach and the view is amazing. The staff is so excellent from the security to the front desk, they all ensured that our stay is not just pleasant but memorable. A definite place to stay at in Durban.

• Reviewed: November 12, 2018

Great location, nice pool and bar setting, friendly staff.
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

When booking chose check in between 8-9pm. When we got there at 8:30pm could not access the property- intercom and phone line not working (advised by staff member this was on purpose as he was off duty). Finally got hold of owner on cell who managed to get someone to open for us- we were then told we were late. There were quite a few people who came in after us with the same issue.

Great location, nice pool and bar setting, friendly staff.

Stayed in November 2018

• Reviewed: October 15, 2018

Your rooms there by the swimming pool , it would have been...

Your rooms there by the swimming pool , it would have been better if you have verandas or something like that in case its raining . Coz now you getting wet while trying to open the door.

• Reviewed: September 8, 2018

Good value for money and good location
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

It was a bit difficult getting hold of the staff or owners if you needed something or to speak to them but we were only there for 1 night. It is going under a bit of a renovation

Very nice and will look lovely when renovations are complete. The staff were friendly and accomodating. Rooms were clean and had everything

• Reviewed: August 29, 2018

• Superior Family Room

Breakfast. I thought its a buffet

Cleanliness Friendly staff Security Place is beautiful comfy beds. Honesty. I fotgot my purse,i found it kept safe

• Reviewed: August 14, 2018

Peaceful, clean, easy accessibility but my room was a bit cramped.

See above

It was a bit difficult to move around in the room. Space was cramped. Hot water from shower was also intermittent during showering in the morning. However the setting and friendly staff was a plus

• Reviewed: August 13, 2018

The area where the accommodation was situated
    • Double or Twin Room

The shower was broken and although clean the bathrooms were in need of renovation. The parking situation wasn't great. I was parked in by other guests when I needed to be out early for an appointment.

The area where the accommodation was situated

• Reviewed: June 24, 2018

It was lovely

We went out and the gate didnt open. We were stuck outside for 20mins in the middle of the night.

The staff was very friendly and the place was so relaxing. The beds were very comfy and quite big.

• Reviewed: May 31, 2018

Our stay relaxingand we had a good time
    • Family Room

I didnt like the bathroom it was too small. The room was small for a family.

The location of the place is in a beautiful, quite area. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: April 3, 2018

I found the staff at the Tariman very welcoming and...
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

I found the staff at the Tariman very welcoming and accommodating and will definitely consider booking at this venue again. The room and facilities were up to standard and the shopping mall was a hop skip and jump away.

• Reviewed: March 2, 2018

We had a wornderfull stay at Tariman.
    • Family Room

we could have a appreciated atleast a set out time that prohibits music being played from our room. After all we were there for a good time (birthday celebration). The four sleeper room had only one bath tub. Atleast a tub and a shower would have been convenient for four people.

The friendliness from the staff, After coming back from breakfast we found all our clothes that we had left scattered neatly packed away for us. No one lost anything even our money was untouched.

• Reviewed: February 7, 2018

I will stay go back to this place as it was neat
    • Family Room

We booked for three people and was only given two towels. There was no one to contact as the phones were dead. And we were not aware of the after hour arrival fee which we did not pay though as we didn't know about it. The gentleman was kind enough to waiver it.

Was neat and tidy.

• Reviewed: February 3, 2018

Fair but plenty room for improvement.
    • Family Room

Rooms cleaned very late. Toilet Rolls not replaced. Kettle and glasses not washed properly. Staff very noisy early in the morning.

Location is perfect.

• Reviewed: January 17, 2018

I just feel there should be someone to attend to the guests during their stay day and night.
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

The quality of the rooms compared to the images supplied was not % in a sense that the fridge, microwave, towels are reaching their wear and tear dates which means they need a little upgrade. The phone line in the room was not working so at a point where we needed reception we could not get hold of them. A couple of times I had to request that the tea and coffee be replenished. The management didnt quiet update the team of duration of the stay.

Location was ideal for us. The cleaning staff was on the ball.

• Reviewed: January 9, 2018

Great location but the cleaning needs a lot of attention.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The level of cleanliness. There was hair in my shower and the main door had stains of dirty around the handle, my sheets had a brown stain on them as well. The level of detail in the cleaning was very poor.

The location and the stuff

• Reviewed: January 4, 2018

we enjoyed a lot
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The misunderstanding between booking.com and the guest house about the breakfast that was included on my confirmation email but we didn't get it during our stay

Cleanliness and the friendly staff

• Reviewed: December 31, 2017

The bed was very comfy.
    • Family Room with Sea View

Sometimes we didn't have enough bath sheets and couldn't find anyone to ask for them.

The bed was very comfy. Lovely view of the sea. People working there were very pleasant and helpful.

• Reviewed: December 27, 2017

overall a good stay... Friendly and trustworthy staff makes it feel comfortable.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

No proper soaps, drainage issue and slight smell, staff was not available after 7 for breakfast.

Easy accessible, close to the mall, great view, not being bothered by too many people in your space

• Reviewed: October 21, 2017

Tariman is in a nice location, but some aspects could be improved.
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

The WiFi did not work in the room, only in the common areas. Could not get the TV to work. The windows were tinted, but so dark that the lights needed to be on all of the time. The chairs for sitting in the room were very uncomfortable. I had booked the room in order to attend a meeting. The meeting date was changed at the last minute, but I was not allowed to change the date of my stay without paying a huge penalty.

The room was clean. The staff were friendly and tried to be helpful.

• Reviewed: October 10, 2017

Unpleasant

Room was directly in front of car park alarm kept us up the entire night. Noise at 3am in the morning people shouting, sweeping at front door could not sleep in. Breafast didnt impress viennas instead of sausages.

Beds were comfy

• Reviewed: October 9, 2017

Loved it😃
    • Double or Twin Room

The shower head, it actuall leaking when you showering and lot of water goes into waste. To put that into consideration to save water. Otherwise everything else I liked

I ddnt eat breakfadt there.

• Reviewed: September 26, 2017

Except for the bad experience about the breakfast the rest of the stay was average.
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

We booked thru bookings.com where it was stated that BF was included. On arrival we were told it changed and it is no longer included. This resulted in an argument. We were later told that we could have the BF. However the next morning we did not feel to have the BF after the argument and left without it. They also demanded copies of my ID and Credit card although I already paid - no good reason supplied except to state that it is "company policy".

• Reviewed: September 21, 2017

Awful. Will not go there again. Venue not worth even R100 for the service and stay
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Everything. From when you enter. Only the helper cleaning was helpful. Am still waiting for refund which they refuse to grant after committing

Nothing, poor service they blamed bookings.com for the incorrect booking. Staff and place is very dingy

• Reviewed: August 17, 2017

It was a pleasant stay
    • Double or Twin Room

Property was under renovation Dining area is way to small for the amount of tables Propety just needs little attention detail to be good.

Location and area was good

• Reviewed: June 22, 2017

i loved the place, its close to almost everything from...
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

I didn't like the extra payments one has to do after you book, I wish they would incl them in their rate or write on the website like: you pay an extra R75 for breakfast pay to braai you must pay R100 to bring in your own alcohol I feel like these should be included in the rate or written on the sites when you making a booking.

i loved the place, its close to almost everything from Gateway to the ocean to shaka marine etc. it was cleaned daily and the sheets were very clean. it had a lovely pool that you could chill next to and its easy to find.

• Reviewed: June 10, 2017

It was comfy n the staff was soo superb that we are planning...

NOTHING ALL WAS IN ORDER, I INTEND TO TELL PEOPLE ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE AND STAY AT TARIMAN.

It was comfy n the staff was soo superb that we are planning to go back to Dbn soon n utilise their services again....BIG UPS TARIMAN you are theeeeee BEST.

• Reviewed: June 7, 2017

Simple and welcoming
    • Family Room with Sea View

When I got to the Tariman b&b I was told that breakfast was not included in my booking because I had booked through booking.com. I had to pay an extra fee for breakfast. One of the reasons I chose Tariman b&b is that breakfast is included.

The bed was very much comfortable and big enough for people who ran the 87 km comrades

• Reviewed: June 5, 2017

Great Stay... will definately recommend to my friends and coleagues.

Ants at room 13.

A great place to find a piece of mind... Situated well and accessable to everything... will definately visit again soon... will ensure friends and collegues know about it.

• Reviewed: May 14, 2017

I could go to this place again only if they improve on the complaints.
    • Family Room with Sea View

The breakfast wasn't of good standard and quality.The sheets were not changed daily.There was no ceylon tea,we had to buy it for ourself and the milk also. There was no Decaf coffee,had to buy it ourselves. The cuttlery and crockery weren't spotlessly clean.

The manager or reception guy was very efficient and helpful, friendly and professional.

• Reviewed: April 21, 2017

Great stay I had

The was no wi-fi

The staff was so friendly and professional I left money and my belongings scattered and found everything neatly packed and not even a penny was missing

• Reviewed: April 17, 2017

Value for Money with good access to the beach
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

The breakfast menu was a bit drab, the mushrooms were not well done and the beans were cold

The location is perfect and the room furniture gives the place an old English Manor style feel to it and beautiful bathroom

• Reviewed: April 7, 2017

Lovely property,decor needs attention to enhance ones stay.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

I found the decor dull and outdated. Infact the green old couches in the lounge were quite smelly. The bedding is also outdated and pillows are old.

Property really clean inside and outside. I appreciated the professionalism of the owners. It was easy to communicate with them about extensions.

• Reviewed: April 6, 2017

It is a wonderful place i would recommend it to people
    • Double or Twin Room

The chef doesn't make omelettes

The area is great, the staff is welcoming and it is a very clean place, it is quiet the pool area is awesome it is just a wonderful place

• Reviewed: March 26, 2017

The swimming pool by our room was great.
    • Deluxe King Suite

The construction that continued till late at night. Made it hard for us to sleep with the hitting noises. Our room (11) had a door connected to the breakfast area. So early in the morning you can hear every sound that was made. People would talk very loudly and it sounded lik it was in our room. So this would be before 6 in the morning.

The swimming pool by our room was great. we loved the aircon and television. The staff was nice and always ready to help.

• Reviewed: March 18, 2017

Five star guest house in La Lucia with great hospitality and professional staff and the pool area
    • Family Room with Sea View

The professional conduct of all staff members. The reception was warm and the breakfast was a full English breakfast. The bed linen is clean and silky and the bedrooms are all rooms are en/suites. The bathroom is big and spacious.

• Reviewed: March 13, 2017

Comfy stay in La Lucia
    • Deluxe King Suite

The sausage had a funny rubbery taste couldn't tell if it was beef or pork. The pool wasn't functioning wanted to have a late night dip.The towels were not soft felt over starched

Comfy bed with fluffy pillows, beautiful bathroom facilities

• Reviewed: March 13, 2017

Clean linen very important to us, location to the Durban...
    • Deluxe King Suite

The establishment is under renovation and not ready for patrons. Our geyser in the first room wasn't working and we had to be moved, there was no mirror by the dressing table which is important for a woman, the bin for rubbish was tiny and in the bathroom, plugs did not accommodate hair dryer provided.

Clean linen very important to us, location to the Durban dock for our cruise was close and not in a noisy street.

• Reviewed: February 20, 2017

Just a few improvements required
    • Double or Twin Room

The female owner was not welcoming,the room was cleaned very late,the pool needs re_lining.Whatever you choose on the menu the day before doesnt necessarily mean you'll repeat the following day.Ice cubes can be made available on request.The towels were also enough for one person in a room for two people.

Perfect location,near the mall and the beach,enough car parking .

• Reviewed: February 17, 2017

New management has work cut out
    • Double or Twin Room

House rules state that bar and main house will close at 20:0 as to not disturb guests. Noise continued until 1:30 am from that area. Also received no towels, only found that the next morning. Staff did not react to my complaints at departure. Almost like a shrug.

• Reviewed: December 28, 2018

The room was ok

Bad management

The room was ok

• Reviewed: December 25, 2018

Good

Broken shower door

• Reviewed: December 23, 2018

Place is not what I expected from the pictures and is certainly not a boutique hotel at all.
    • Family Room

Place too noisy Bathrooms very poor No drinking glasses and water jugs in the room too few chairs in the room

• Reviewed: December 13, 2018

Secure
    • Superior Family Room

Dark and too small windows

Secure

• Reviewed: December 9, 2018

It’s a very noisy place.
    • Double or Twin Room

It’s a very noisy place. Can hear people from 5a.m!!! Sheets not very clean. No soap provided.

• Reviewed: November 16, 2018

Awesome facilities and friendly staff.
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

Keys for the room were not supplied, trellie door jammed.

Awesome facilities and friendly staff.

• Reviewed: October 29, 2018

Only that there's is no 24 hours bar

All most everything about that place

• Reviewed: October 10, 2018

• Reviewed: October 7, 2018

The place was very stylish and he view was amazing.
    • Family Room with Sea View

The place was very stylish and he view was amazing. The staff was extraordinary

• Reviewed: August 29, 2018

Good overall stay

Wifi was very bad

• Reviewed: August 20, 2018

Awesome stay

Friendly staff very accomodative thank you and the pool very clean it was an awesome stay

• Reviewed: July 30, 2018

Everything Always a fantastic experience

• Reviewed: July 11, 2018

It was amazing, will be coming back next year again.
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

Amazing views of the sea...Refreshing breeze all around..

• Reviewed: July 10, 2018

Noise from other guests at night

Noise from other guests at night

• Reviewed: July 7, 2018

Very comfortable room.
    • Superior Family Room

Cutlery not always clean.

Very comfortable room. Staff very helpful and friendly. Close to La Lucia Mall.

• Reviewed: June 26, 2018

Everthing else was amazing!
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

The head boards we loose and made a noise with every toss and turn

Everthing else was amazing!

• Reviewed: June 23, 2018

Good for an overnight stay

The room we stayed in was clean and the hosts were very lovely. Good location, close to many amenities.

• Reviewed: June 20, 2018

Was very nice, would stay again.
    • Family Room

The cold showers in the morning and maybe to upgrade their towels.

It was neat, clean and pretty, nice view. Helpful, friendly staff

• Reviewed: June 4, 2018

Peaceful stay at Tariman
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

Difficult to get into the shower and a bit squashed.

Friendly staff, clean, nice eating area.

• Reviewed: June 4, 2018

Friendly staff.
    • Double or Twin Room

The shower was not easy to use

Friendly staff. Neat and clean

• Reviewed: May 29, 2018

• Deluxe Queen Suite

Rooms are noisy.you get disturbed by other guest in another room

Location.close to most places you need to go to when in Durban

• Reviewed: May 13, 2018

Sea view and balcony
    • Economy Quadruple Room with Shared Bathroom

Towels had make up on it.

Sea view and balcony

• Reviewed: May 11, 2018

Staff helpful and always friendly.
    • Double or Twin Room

Only serve Breakfast and the Bar not stocked at all.

Staff helpful and always friendly.

• Reviewed: May 10, 2018

the place is wonderful staff is great and the place is very clean.

nothing.

the place is very nice and quite.good place to chill with friends or family.

• Reviewed: May 5, 2018

Beatiful views, lovely staff.
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

Beatiful views, lovely staff. Amazing comfortable rooms!

• Reviewed: April 14, 2018

• Reviewed: March 11, 2018

Peaceful rest
    • Double or Twin Room

They take a while to answer the phone number supplied on their website

Friendliness and peacefulness of the venue.

• Reviewed: March 6, 2018

Enjoyed my stay

Bed was comfortable and the staff were friendly.

• Reviewed: March 1, 2018

Perfect
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

Some of the TV channels did not work

• Reviewed: February 24, 2018

Owesome
    • Family Room with Sea View

The bunk bed in our room

The chill by the swimming pool

• Reviewed: February 12, 2018

Peaceful rest
    • Deluxe Queen Suite

The rain spoilt our swim.

Quiet and peaceful environment.

• Reviewed: February 6, 2018

Me and my family will never visit that place again and I'll also inform friends not to try
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was smelling sewerage due to pipe behind the bed the whole nigh

We Price Match