Reviews of Holiday Inn Johannesburg Airport 4 stars

100 North Rand Road, Bardene, Boksburg East Rand, 1462 Kempton Park, South Africa

#17 of 55 hotels in Kempton Park

• Standard Twin Room

we two people lived in this hotel. my boss checked out on June, 1st morning but still hotel charged him for June, 2nd. I found it only when i came back to China

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The frequency of the airport shuttle is poor. The vehicles used for the airport shuttle are uncomfortable. No indication about the location of the airport shuttle at arrival. Noisy air-con in room

Both shower and bathtub in the bathroom. Very comfortable bedding

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No internet service, no good communication about the problem. And can have given me an option but nothing have been done.

The bed was soft. And everything near the room.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The restaurant did not have mushrooms for breakfast on the 3 days we were there :( and they refused to go and buy them at Spar or Pick n Pay. I really don't understand why this could not be done honestly. The airconditioners make a noise throughout the night and its very annoying. And could house keeping not call to check if I need my room cleaned if I have the DND sign at the door? It is there for a reason.

Comfortable beds and great location

• Standard Twin Room

We where up in JHB for my sons funeral. In total we had 6 rooms booked. The staff were absolutely fantastic. Friendly helpful met all our needs and accommodated us wherever possible. Good was fantastic. Thankyou to all of them from the bottom of our hearts.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Friendly staff who provided a birthday cake for my wife as it was her birthday and we were stopping over on our honeymoon. And the food-wow! Very good. And we've eaten at some good restaurants in south Africa. The airport transfers were great too.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

One of the shuttle drivers who was on duty on the 27th April 2018 around 19:30hours his behaviour was unacceptable.He couldn't talk to us nicely like other drivers did.Kindly find out who was on duty around that time and talk to him so that it doesn't happen again to other customers,and his driving that night was very bad on our way to the airport,you can imagine somebody driving like that during the night in Joburg

Bed very comfortable,near the mall(Eastrand),shuttle available at all the times we needed it

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was no WiFi at all during my stay, this is disaster. At a point, even the telephone was not working.

Toiletries and bed and pillows Complimentary water

• Standard Twin Room

There was nothing that i didnt like about here

Stayed here to get a connecting flight the next day. Staff were very accomodating, late check was no bother. Bed very comfy & clean. Facilities in room range from tea/coffee, fridge, iron and board, shower and bath, range of travel plugs. The food was great as well. Close to the airport with a free shuttle available.

The shower - it leaked & had no pressure

An overnight stay not long enough to comment about facilities Shuttle from airport reliable, quiet room & beds very comfortable & clean

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room's bar fridge was very noisy, especially when starting the compressor. This woke me up twice or thrice. To avoid a surprise, make sure when you book whether breakfast is included in the rate.

The shuttle service to and from the airport was punctual. Bed was great, and the room was clean.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The weekend charges are a bit expensive!!

My room was comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. I love its proximity to the airport and the shuttle service is very reliable. Friendly staff too! I will surely go back there whenever I am in South Africa!!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bathroom should be renovated.

good solid hotel close to the airport. transfer is available. rooms are big. staff members are very nice. good food in the restaurant. perfect place to stay on arrival or depature to/from Johannesburg.

• Standard Twin Room

Rooms are comparatively very smaller. Airport shuttle is not available for early morning flights. Airport shuttle starts at 6.00 am. Hotel is not ready to manage the airport shuttle or any other transportation at 5.30 am or even at 5.45 am.

Business center is good one. Location is very good. Room amenities are in line. Staff is courteous.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The place was really superb. The free shuttle from the airport made the trip more welcoming, The rooms were very tidy. If they can add a documentary channel on the TV it would be better. But otherwise it was superb.

• Standard Twin Room

The steak at the restaurant was extremely tough, and not cheap so that could have been better.

Everything was outstanding, we just wished we had a room facing the pool instead of the parking area....we were 4 in 1 room so it was a bit squashed but for the price we couldn't complain and we couldn't afford more anyway.

Couldn’t fault anything

The staff were great The room was perfect and loved the choices of pillows The location was perfect for a person wanting to be close to the airport. I was really happy with my stay - thank you guys

• Standard Twin Room

Shower needs a do over. Directions to room and lift are poor Payment deducted from my card before arrival (website indicated otherwise) Wifi wasn't connecting, poor signal

Room was quite and dark, excellent

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Such a elite hotel was definetly to my taste. I sure will be returning in future. I too want to say a special thanks to the reception staff on duty whom assisted me and printed my travel insurance documents on my behalf. They never hesitate to help with anything and it’s such a stunningly gorgeous hotel. Thank you so much..

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

House Keeping should improve on cleanliness. The rooms need thorough cleaning. My room was hardly vacuumed and I had a problem with that because my colleague is asthmatic. Value for money. We dont stay in the Hotel for free. Your staff should know that. So that didn't go well for my colleague. And please put poly bags in the bins in the rooms. And lastly, the shuttle services. Please include Silverbirch. Most of us stay there because we come for training at Silverbirch. So we were shocked that you could charge us R50 for just a minutes drive and yet the Airport and East Rand Mall which are far are free. You could have at least heard our views. Please look into this. Otherwise the guys at the Reception were fabulous together with Muleya and his colleague in the Dining Hall. Very engaging. That was good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

House Keeping did not always replace linens and other supplies. the Receptionist who got agitated because I could not understand why I couldn't settle my bill in pounds after I decided to extend my stay, I had done so the day before

Friendliness and helpfulness of staff. comfort of hotel

• Standard Double or Twin Room

A perfect option for someone who wants to sleep near the airport, in transit through Johannesburg. Room service and a 24/7 lobby bar that serves food are useful for the late arrivals. Very nice, friendly service.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Close to the airport (10 mins) and the hotel provides free shuttle to East Point Mall which is very convenient for shopping. Check-in was quick and smooth and staff was very welcoming.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Area where the hotel is looks a bit challenging. A bit more choice of tv channels, especially the news channels. Only CNN was available and it talked about Donald all the time, it was a bit sickening. Need to jazz up the dining area.

Breakfast was of good standards. Room had the expected facilities, even had a socket for British plugs. Shuttle to and from the airport was on time and was available as per published schedule. Wifi coverage was excellent. Sports channels available.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The only downer was the fact the hotel is directly below the flight path of planes landing.

I had an early flight the next day. The hotel was close enough to make getting to the airport easy and the shuttle got us there within 15 mins despite busy traffic.

• Standard Twin Room

The staff was excellent and the location was close to the airport. Very helpful staff. They go above and beyond. I planned to stay one night and ended up staying 4 nights. The free shuttle is the perfect way to get to the mall and airport.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Booking could have included an optional breakfast rate instead of having to fork out an additional cash payment for breakfast which I felt was a bit expensive.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I was allocated a special room yet I didn't have special abilities therefore it was inconveniencing for me to use facilities like the shower. No extra services offered like transport to conference and mall despite being so close

Comfortable bed.

• Standard Twin Room

Helpful and friendly staff throughout the hotel. Room was very clean and comfortable if a little on the small side. Breakfast was amazing - plenary of options

• Standard Twin Room

Lock on pool gate a bit tricky to open, Can understand the need regarding safety for children but I cut my hand in struggling to open it

Reception and bar staff friendly and customer focused. The shuttle service runs frequently which is excellent.

• Standard Twin Room

There was free shuttle pick up from airport but there was no information on where or when. We found the pick up spot but there was no shuttle. So we attempted to chat with the hotel but after a while it appeared that I was chatting with a robot as "she" was not answering my questions at all but merely pasted general information about shuttle pick up. We ended up taking a taxi only to find out that the shuttle apparently had arrived 5 minutes after we left.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We talked to a certain lady concerning a shuttle drop at silverbirch and she was rather rude. I think it wasn't necessary to be rude to us.

Everything was perfect

• Standard Twin Room

The price at reservation was abit different on checking in which is not a good sign. when we trust you and book through you, you need to provide the right information. The Receptionist are abit tough not really friendly and they don't know how to sort issues out. mostly on check in if there was a way of cancelling reservations without charges am sure most people as i witnessed would have preferred to look for another place to stay.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The payment process and communication with hotel.

Everything that was there was amazing the rooms ,the staff, the facilities ,the shuttle ,basically everything.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Provide a complimentary bottle of water each day rather than only on the first day. Check-out time should be reviewed to noon.

Twin rooms were great, comfortable & ,spacious beds! It was good to have the alarm clock as well. Breakfast,great variety! Shuttles were very convenient. Would recommend the hotel to a friend

• Standard Twin Room

Not very peaceful around the pool as the flights come in very low but then it is an airport hotel!

Friendly helpful staff. Restaurant on site. Nice breakfast and food generally good. Pool area small but attractive and free shuttle bus to airport and shopping mall. The Travel desk at the hotel arranged a driver to take and pick us up for a day trip toJohannesburg - they were prompt and reliable.

Nothing I can think of

The buffet breakfast was awesome. They staff were quick to replenish whatever was finished. They had a good selection of fruits.

• Standard Twin Room

The hotel was near the airport but rooms where quite soundproof. They pool area was great. The hotel had an excellent restaurant. I have nothing but praise for this place.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

B&B rates are higher than booking room only and having breakfast. No iron in room like in the past, small maintenace issues like remotes and aircons working intermittentanly.

Nice Staff and clean rooms

• Standard Double or Twin Room

the room was not cleaned well. the toilet did not flush well and needed to be flushed 3 times. the shower leaked water on to the floor and the water would wet the carpet in the room. The TV was not clear. The room was too dark even if the windows were open and light turned on.

the staff were friendly and the facilities were clean. The shuttle service was excellent and on time. Wifi strength was very good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Being asked by housekeeping at 8:30 if I was checking out because they wanted to clean the room. Check out is advertised at 10am

All the staff were friendly helpful an accommodating

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Just a rough stay with a number of things going wrong that left a poor taste in my mouth...having someone (staff) unlock and enter your room at 01:30 in Johannesburg isn’t a good feeling.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel was as described. It was clean and comfortable and the free shuttle service was easy to find and use. I was also able to pay USD65 for an extra half day and late check-out for the evening. This meant that I did not need to spend any more time than necessary at the airport and could enjoy the comfort of my room without having to pay the full rate for an additional night that I wouldn't actually use.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Our room airconditioner (Room 211) did not cool the room at all despite trying all the settings. We were so tired that we did not want to call reception to send someone. The heat wave did not help much. These things should be on a PPM and checked.

The menu prices were reasonable.

minimal shuttle access

The hotel staff was very helpful, the flexibility of the shuttles (shuttling you to additional locations as the nearby mall) was not as helpful as other hotels that I have previously stayed in the same area.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Temporary, but undergoing renovation at the moment AND the early morning staff do not check and renew the wonderful coffee machine.

Always a perfect stay when arriving or departing Johannesburg. Friendly staff. Efficient check in after making your online booking.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bathroom was not up to standard. Foul smell was noted despite the facility being clean

Staff were welcoming and provided wonderful services. The shuttle bus was available to use and the drivers had excellent customer care

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The cost of a room excludes breakfast and is therefore too pricey. There is no one to accompany you to room and show you room, or even carry your bags to room.

Room too small for its value

• Standard Twin Room

Dinghy outdated hotel rooms Smells musty Disgusting bathroom with mould in shower cubicle

Airport shuttle very helpful Staff very supportive Excellent breakfast

• Standard Twin Room

very little. Standards were uniformly good. aircraft noise is sometimes intrusive but that cannot really be helped. The lighting in the room could be improved.

the level of friendly service was exceptional and made for a very pleasant stay. my partner is SA in origin and speaks fluent Zulu. I believe this made relationships with staff even more cordial. The room(s) were clean and well maintained and when we asked to be moved because of aircraft noise this was managed effectively and quickly. well done!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Asked for an iron and board that never arrived and I had to wear semi creased clothes.

Beautiful rooms and great food. Check out was seamless and was offered free shuttle to airport.

• Standard Twin Room

They should let you know that the shuttle from the airport already has a fixed schedule and explain where is the meeting point. Before we arrive we sent an e-mail asking how to arrange the shuttle and never got the answer. We’ve stayed some time trying to reach the hotel with no success until finally someone at the airport was able to help us.

The hotel is very good for those who want a place to stay close to the airport. The room has a good space for 2 people, clean and with a comfortable bed. We didn’t use, but is nice to know that there is a swimming pool, a gym and restaurant for those who doesn´t want to leave the hotel. For those who, like us, want to walk around, they have a free shuttle for a mall close to the hotel that can be helpful. Besides that, it was very good to have the shuttle to/from the airport.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Maintenance is lacking. Safe in friends room (206) was broken and my air conditioner didn't work along with a plug point that was falling out of the wall and didn't work (201) I stay at this hotel often and things seem to be going backwards.

Friendly staff and a really good breakfast. Close to the airport and Emperors palace.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

AC settings fixed to high, to hot. Bed very hard. I absolutely hate powered milk, at these rates milk sachets are a must.

A convenient location, good secure parking and helpful staff.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

A very good airporthotel would pick it again - delicious food. Let me check in very early in the morning after an overnight flight. Airportshuttle would also take you to the close by East Rand Mall.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Reception staff could have been friendlier

Cleanliness,bed is comfy,big room..Classy and sophisticated.I was allowed to check in early which i really appreciated.The bar and restuarant are lovely,great for socialising.Will definately stay there aagain

• Standard Twin Room

I booked you because of the ad for your free airport shuttle service. Alas : this service is unavailable for early morning flights and your ad did not state this fact.

The room size and amenities were excellent. Food : excellent

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Very close to airport, therefore lots of noise of airplanes landing, passing very low directly over the hotel. Airport shuttle could go more regularly and at closer intervals (currently every 30 minutes in peak hours - mornings and evening -and every 60 minutes outside peak hours) throughout the day and not only during peak hours in the morning and evening.

Very efficient and fast check-in. Clean rooms. Free airport shuttle, as well as to a nearby shopping mall. Well equipped gym, has a swimming pool and ample parking space. Food is good in the on-site restaurant.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We only needed a 1-night stay, prior to leaving Johannesburg so it was brief. But the staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. The rooms were so comfortable; as were the bathrooms. Very clean as well. Lovely lobby. I wish we could have stayed longer.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel organised a late night taxi pick up for us from the airport through On Time shuttle as our arrival was going to be after midnight and too late for the hotel shuttle. The driver was waiting for us and it all went smoothly - well worth the R300 at that time of night. We appreciated that the 24 hr reception staff were expecting us and made us feel welcome even though it was 1am.

• Standard Twin Room

I would NEVER do another booking through bookings .com because I was misled about the breakfast which was supposedly included and the management gave me absolute heartache. This is my last experience with you.

• Standard Twin Room

More stations to watch on the tv

The bed was comfy and the pillows were extremely soft very nice . The toasted chicken and ham toesties plus the portion of chips was very nice . Did not have breakfast as left for the airport before breakfast

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Terrible wifi and not the best bed.

Really good breakfast buffet. But a bit pricey at 175 ZAR per person. Great free shuttle service to the airport, that runs every 30 mins during peak periods. Really friendly receptionists at check-in.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Internet was disconnecting every 10 min and needed to wait to reconnect internet (if you need internet then forget this hotel).aircondition was not working even I asked them to repair 2 times..

Staff friendly,hotel clean

• Standard Twin Room

Only one extra blanket was given even though we booked two single beds. There was still a half-drank bottle of water in the fridge and only one new bottle of water even though we were two people. They did recrify the problem when we complained, but still these things should be checked prior to customers arriving.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Nothing to hate, rooms are a bit small thou but not complaining

Iiked it and value for money, the bouble glazing is the brilliant idea for the confort.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Dining area was noisy Would not want to be there during the daytime due to severe aeroplane noise.

Easy and convenient for a one night stay near the airport

• Standard Double or Twin Room

On Monday 31 July 2017, I woke up to cold water therefore couldn't take a bath in the morning, worse off I had a business meeting to attend to. Either the geyser was not working or was off. Very ridiculous

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The instructions on catching the shuttle, I had to email the hotel, and when they sent them they weren't that clear. Attach an easy to follow diagrammatic one page pdf to the webpage.

The proximity of the hotel to the airport, cleanliness and comfort. The restaurant food was good. Breakfast was a little expensive, it was easy to walk to McDonalds and get a breakfast for less then half what Holiday Inn charges.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

This is not my first stay in the very same room, yet I still had to make my request for higher voltage lighting on the bedside. It would be a good idea to give lighting strength options for those of us who read both from a desk and in bed

The bed is most comfortable, and so is the bedding. The "soft" pillows not as soft as one would like. Also, my room phone didn't seem to work all Thursday evening, I could only get through on Friday

Nothing comes to mind

The hotel itself was incredibly; everything about it was amazing... Next time (very soon) I'm bring my kids. I loved it; talk about value for money.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The view of the room was not well as we are from Mpumalanga. It would have been nice if we had one where the kids could see the airport. Everything else was spot on

• Standard Twin Room

Internet connection by wifi veeeery slow

Excellent location close to mall, restaurants and airport Bed and pillows very good Excellent shuttle service to airport and mall

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Not most accessible rooms - had to go up short flight of stairs with suitcases

convenient to airport and free airport shuttle (was a little hard to find the shuttle stop)

• Standard Twin Room

Bathroom needs upgrade and broken towel rail. Staff could have mentioned that we can arrange for a take away breakfast when we asked about the breakfast times. Our plane was early. We were not aware of the service.

Comfortable beds and special catering for kids

Browse Holiday Inn Johannesburg Airport traveller photo gallery