Reviews of The Charles Cafe & Rooms 3 stars

137 Waterkant Street, De Waterkant, 8000 Cape Town, South Africa

#196 of 269 B&Bs and Inns in Cape Town

Location was good and staff were pleasant
    • Premier Room

Our room was on the street and was incredibly noisy with the restaurants nearby. Parking was in the street and was limited.

Location was good and staff were pleasant

Bedroom in Kitchen - noisy & bad nights sleep
    • Classic Room

My room was basically in the kitchen. The room itself was quite comfortable (aside from the lack of door for the toilet). But I was disturbed by other guests checking in late, the lights from the kitchen through the glass door. And then from 5am the kitchen staff arriving to prep breakfast. I am deep sleeper so was surprised by how loud it was a how badly I slept. Other rooms are nice! But be sure you are not in one of the two literally accessed by stairs up from the kitchen. With a balcony overlooking the restaurant. Poor.

Staff very helpful and breakfast was excellent.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Housekeeping is keeping more than your room clean. Be aware.
    • Premier Room

Everything would have been perfect if not for the fact that we discovered the person cleaning our room was stealing from us. All that after we would leave food for him or her after they left a note asking if the box of food was for them. They did it very sneakily by taking USD100 as day from our locked suitcase. The first day when I checked and found a $100 missing I thought I may just have misplaced it so I called back home to check as well as check my belongings and there was nothing so I put it off to negligence on my part but wanting to be sure I took note of the serial numbers of the remaining bills. I have a list of all the serial numbers of the currency I brought with me as banks in our country give you this when you have money changed with them or withdraw from your foreign currency account. The next day however I discovered that my locked suit case was opened. I checked but nothing was lost, I was also very sure that I had locked my suit case but again because nothing was lost I thought I may have been mistaken. The following day was a different story. I checked my suitcase again upon returning to the room and discovered another $100 was missing and this time to confirm it I counter checked with the list of serial numbers I had only to confirm it was indeed stolen. I reported it to the manager who then informed me that there was a safe in the room and proceeded to ask me why we did not use it and that this was in fact South Africa. I felt a little insulted as I had already told him that my suitcase was locked and since we were in a very posh hotel in this very "safe" part of town should we and our belongings be safe and secure in the confines of our room? I come from the Philippines which is an even less developed third world country yet this had never happened to me there or anywhere else I have traveled in world for that matter. Sadly this happened on our last night in Cape Town so we could not do much.

Perfect for our honeymoon! The location was fantastic and the village was very safe even at night with security a almost every corner. Very close to everything and the room was perfect. Food was also very good and most of the staff were friendly.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

A beautiful and charming olde-worldly gem in the middle of magical De Waterkant.
    • Premier Room

Absolutely magical! I can’t wait to come back!

Very large room.
    • Premier Room

The room was a bit cold.

Very large room. Good restaurant and breakfast

We paid R2200 for a room that was advertised on the board...
    • Premier Room

We paid R2200 for a room that was advertised on the board outside our room at about R800.

Hot stay in nice neighberhood
    • Premier Room

No Airco, full sunlight in the morning - no curtain, under bed no cleaning, very noisy

Nice location, breakfast café top, space, view

All and all a very nice place to stay, my wife and I enjoyed it very much.
    • Classic Room

There are plenty of restaurants close by and plenty of activities. Area reminds us of Europe.

Love the area and the breakfast!
    • Classic Room

Wifi is a bit weak in places!

Love the area and the breakfast!

Very nice place, relaxing and worth money.
    • Classic Room

Amazing breakfasts, like in restaurant. Big comfortable room. Very helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2016

Loved staff, location, comfort and cleanliness.

I stayed in the top floor, and there was no in room way to communicate with reception. My laundry was returned late, and i ended up having to repack my bag in reception, as the housekeeping lady didn't know when it would be returned, and did not feel like climbing the stairs. She advised me to do it myself- if there was a phone, it would have been a simple phone call.

Loved staff, location, comfort and cleanliness. I did find it expensive for a B&B - clearly aimed at international market, which is a shame.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2016

It was not safe for a woman traveling alone since the...

It was not safe for a woman traveling alone since the entrance to the room was from the street. I was woken up at 3am by someone running up the stairs outside my room and phoned the front desk. Only to be told that it was maintenance seeing to a problem in another guests room. This was of course a lie. I think someone was trying to break in. I contacted the desk at 4am when i was leaving for the airport for a 6am flight and ask the front desk to help me with my suitcase since i am pregnant and because i was scared after the 3am incident to wait on the street for Uber. He said no, i should ask Uber to help me. Great service! That spoilt my entire experience at the place.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2016

Fantastic lovely staff!

Fantastic lovely staff! The welcome amenities were a lovely touch. Rooms were beautiful, clean and perfectly decorated. Breakfast at the local cafe was a perfect touch.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2016

The room was huge and very clean.

For the price I payed I would have expected air conditioning in the room.

The room was huge and very clean.Unfortunately it was like trying to sleep in a green house.Breakfast is at a local cafe.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2016

Location is great.

No Wifi, Fan in room was inefficient, no toiletries, although our room was lovely, bright, clean and comfortable, the whole place has more of a hostel feel to it, but at hotel prices. Lights did not work in toilet during the night, so main light had to be switched on to see where to go, disturbing one another during the night.

Location is great. Great views over the city. Good facilities if you would like to have your own braii or hang out on the private deck/terrace. Our room was lovely and clean with good bed, shower, bath etc.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2016

The location is very central.

The rooms are pretty average, at least at the guesthouse I stayed at. The guesthouse itself was lovely. Colonial.

The location is very central. It's in Cape Towns De Waterkant Village which is accessible from most of the city's attractions. You have a supermarket a few minutes down the road, the Cape Quarter is also around the corner filled with quaint restaurants and bars. For some luxury shopping you have the historic V&A Waterfront and also many many other things to do. The Cape Malay Quarter is within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2015

Everything was great except there was construction happening...

Everything was great except there was construction happening either on or adjacent to the property that woke me up at 7:30. This undermined my intention of staying there to overcome jet lag. I am not sure if the hotel had any control over the issue or not.

• Reviewed: 30 March 2015

Very convenient and central location, friendly staff, cozy...

Very convenient and central location, friendly staff, cozy place and nice view from the rooftop. Crawling distance to the city night Life. Perfect Place to stay if you dont mind stairs and parking on the street.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2015

Great location close to the waterfront.

Great location close to the waterfront. Great staff. Perfect for couples and families wanting to experience the city. Great beaches camps bay and sea point nice and close for restaurants and cocktails. We had a great time and enjoyed this location very much

• Reviewed: 25 January 2015

The building and the area are very pretty and the location...

At 5 in the morning our room was brighter than being outside on the terrace. No great for a relaxing holiday. It is impossible that we were the first guest to complain about this, so how come it has never been fixed? For a hotel this is insane. When we raised the issue, we were given some sympathy but nothing else. It really doesn't make sense that the owners created such a lovely little hotel and ignore such a massive problem (which is so easy to fix! Add proper blinds!!)

The building and the area are very pretty and the location is perfect. The room was big and comfy, nice bed and shower.

• Reviewed: 12 January 2015

The room was functional and clean with a nice shower.

The only thing is that the room could do with curtains as the sun came into the room and hit the bed very early.

The room was functional and clean with a nice shower. The bed was comfy and the staff very friendly. Breakfast was also nice. For the money I think this is a nice place to stay.

• Reviewed: 24 April 2016

People at reception were noisy in the morning before 8:00...

People at reception were noisy in the morning before 8:00 when we were still trying to sleep.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2016

Great location, helpful staff, great room.

Brakefast menu was a bit limited and the portions were on the small size.

Great location, helpful staff, great room.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2016

The room decor, bed, variety of tv channels,

Could think of installing air conditioners in the rooms

The room decor, bed, variety of tv channels,

• Reviewed: 2 February 2016

It was more like an appartment than like a hotel room.

It was more like an appartment than like a hotel room. The room had all kind of facilities, so one could eat there if wanted. Very good area.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2015

Very nice environment and building.

Very nice environment and building. Suits for everybody, int the middle of the port area and the city. Great view from the terrace.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2015

Friendly and helpful staff, perfect location, nice room.

No WIFI

Friendly and helpful staff, perfect location, nice room.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2015

The hotel room was very small, dark, no windows, noisy. The bed was very small and the bedding was inadequate

There are also 12 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.