Reviews of The Kelway Hotel 4 stars

Brookes Hill Drive, Summerstrand, 6013 Port Elizabeth, South Africa

#13 of 30 hotels in Port Elizabeth

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

The room we had was nothing like the rooms depicted on the Booking.com photos, our room was small, tired and the bathroom very cramped (nowhere to even hang a wet towel). The photos are misleading and the Hotel looks much more modern in them than in real life. We may have had an older room that was awaiting an update, but with hardly any guests at the hotel, I wonder why they didn’t put us in one of the newer rooms if they existed. Do not use the hotel taxis they order if possible as they were 3 x the price of one we ordered, we did let the Hotel know but they said they were tied into an agreement with a specific company.

Close to the beach will good parking, but nothing stood out as fantastic (other than the very affordable price). The beds were comfortable.

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

Every thing was fine but the room had a bad muffy smell and they booked seperate rooms instead of one booking for the total stay was not acceptable wont recomend fir another stay over

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

Bathroom was too small, could hardly move when I shower and am 5'3.

Room was alright and met our basic needs, although a little small but sufficient for one night stay. Direct view of the ocean from our room balcony, wish i had some time to sit outside to enjoy the sea breeze. Breakfast was great with ample choices!

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

A free bottle of still water would be greatly appreciated.

Perfect for business accommodation. Excellent wifi connection. Great desk set up for work purposes. Clean. Everything I needed. Lovely view from the balcony of my room. Fridge in the room is useful. Friendly staff. I will definitely return.

• Standard Twin Room with Cliff View

A charming and rather old fashioned hotel near the beach, restaurants and very handy for OR airport. Lovely bar. We didn't eat dinner in the restaurant but had an excellent breakfast. The staff members we met were friendly, helpful and efficient. We had a room with a balcony looking towards the beach. The pool was very inviting. The hotel was very quiet and we had a good night's sleep.

• Standard Twin Room with Cliff View

Room a little smaller than we would have liked.

Nice, clean rooms. The bar staff were very helpful and friendly. Also, a great view over the bay from the top of the hill. Had the pool to ourself the whole time.

• Deluxe Double Room with Cliff View

Called earlier and was told Hotel was fully booked and called again and changed accent and was told room is available. Staff need to be fair and friendly

Everything! The location excellent. The staff amazing, couldn’t do enough for you. Cable, we miss you! Breakfast excellent. Rooms cleaned and beds made everyday.

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

Booking .com Genius NO welcome drink shouldn’t have to ask Buffet breakfast little cold at 8.45 am hence no lids on hot foods

Second floor rooms seem to all have views / balcony over beach and port Short stroll to bars / restaurants Bed was firm which we liked Nice selection of food for breakfast Both enjoyed dinner one night in restaurant Bathroom was ok but small

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

The showerhead in the shower sprayed the water all over except your body.

Very comfortable room. Exceptionally clean. Excellent breakfast. Will definitely recommend!

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

The bathroom was a little cramped with a showerhead that did not work so well. A bar fridge in the room would have been great!

The breakfast set up was amazing, and so were the people serving it! #Tip; Allocate yourself at least an hour to enjoy this incredible Breakfast Buffet Experience. Thank you Charmaine for going that little extra mile in the interest of great service! #Tip; If you dining at the Kelway, ask for her by name!

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

The view from the room was amazing. The rooms were clean and well equipped with the basic amenities. The staff was friendly. Overall our stay was good and we will recommend this property to others.

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

The beds at room 14 was not comfortable at all and our body was very sore. And staff at breakfast was not helpfull, breakfast was very good.

The view was beautiful

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

The staf members were really friendly and very accomodating to extra requests, like an early check in that was needed as I was attending a wedding. I really appreciated that .

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

WiFi wasn't working (only in the lobby, not the rest of the hotel) and even after telling the receptionist they didn't do anything about it.

We only spent the night there after our flight to start a garden route journey from here, had some nice drinks at the friendly guy at the bar. Two friendly guys from staff helped us with the luggage, because the elevator was out of order at the time we were there.

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

the noise outside with security they were talking loud and travels at night when all else is silent. Room could of had coffee in for two more cups and extra milk, I alone take two milk in my coffee.

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

The Kelway Hotel sign/ boards could have been made a bit more clearer from the roads leading up to the hotel.

The breakfast catered for a wide audience. The staff was very friendly, warm and welcoming. The room was as per description and as per expectation. We arrived late at night and finding parking onsite was not a problem. Overall, I would definitely love to stay here again. A good location - close to restaurants and the casino.

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

We stayed in room 100, which was spacious and quiet with a lovely deck overlooking the ocean in the distance. All staff were amazing as was the evening meal.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

On the first morning, as part of the breakfast there was a choice of 3 different breads, but each one was old and stale and not eatable. The second morning they had fresh bread. The bathroom was ridiculously small. Approx. 1.5m square which accommodated a shower cubicle of 1m square, a basin and a toilet. The basin did not drain the water even though the plug was elevated and the toilet flusher system did not work, so we had to lift the lid and flush manually. In addition, the door handle on the toilet door was situated at about hip height. With so little space to move in, I kept hitting against the handle and came away with a few bruises. The choice of TV channels was very limited.

The hotel, which resembles a log cabin, is situated very centrally to many amenities on a slight hill and some rooms have sea views, which also overlook the pool. It is well placed with lots of parking but it the furniture is dated and needs a makeover. The beds and rooms were comfortable and clean, the restaurant had quite a large breakfast menu but is very dark. Porters did help with luggage as one side of the building has no lifts. The beaches are within easy walking distance and there are many restaurants, a casino complex and wooden walkways adjacent to the beaches. There is little traffic along the main beach road.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

No elevator for the elderly - stairway quite steep Small wardrobe - I had to dress from out of the car Same breakfast menu every day

Location / quietness / balcony / sea view

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

The room we were in had a view over the bowling club and the ocean was blocked by the rest of the building.

Excellent service on arrival, we traveled for a triathlon and they assisted with the baggage and bicycles. Food was food in the restaurant and room service.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Having to go home?lol

The location is just up from the Summerstrand beach and busy main road and the view facing the sea is amazing. The Boardwalk is also not too far. The welcome and comfort of the property is great! Staff are very accommodating and helpful. :) Can't wait to be back for longer.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

A bit petty but the wifi needed to be input every time you used it and I had trouble with the input of didgets.

Good choice at breakfast, great cuppa ! The best staff anywhere in the world You just feel very relaxed from the minute you arrive until you leave.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

The fact that we wanted to stay longer ;) We will definitely be visiting again to enjoy a special comfort zone.

The whole experience was totally amazing. It was really a day to remember on such a special day, Valentine's Day how will we ever forget it, as I chose The Kelway Hotel as the place to propose to my Fiancé. They really made it extra special as they treated us with a bottle of Champagne to celebrate the engagement. We were so surprised when we received a card to congratulate us and Shandré Main treated us to the Valentine's Day special for two. It honestly couldn't get any better. We were so appreciated it really topped our special day. Thank you so much and it's something that we as a couple will cherish for many years. Freindly staff and everything was just great, haven't got other words to describe how we felt.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Cliff View

Felt like a long way away from anything. Didn't have the opportunity to see Port Elizabeth

Conveniently situated for a walk along the waterfront. Welcoming and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

Really have to look hard for something here. The lighting inside the dining area when looking out onto the balcony isn't ideal.

I had made a mistake with my booking and only booked one room instead of two, despite this the gentleman on reception made a plan and found a room for me so that my colleague and I could stay in the same hotel. The staff are wonderfully friendly living up to the reputation of PE as the friendly city. One of the guests had a birthday and the staff sang to him, not the normal happy birthday but a wonderful local song. I thought it was really awesome that the kitchen staff were also involved in this and not only the waiting staff, so everyone could be part of that. The food is really good.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Cliff View

A response to my mail with the original booking request,would have been apprediated. It was for that reason that we cancelled the second room.

The room was very comfortable. breakfast was excellent Balcony was great.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

I requested a camp cot when making my booking a few months in advance. When checking in I was told there was none available. Room service was very slow - had to make a call twice as they forgot my order the first time. The bed were not comfortable. The patio was not cleaned thoroughly as cigarette stubs were found randomly. The DSTV package does not cater for children's programmes.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

Did like the breakfast.. The fruits were not fresh...had to wait for 20 minutes for the crossaints to be baked. The stuff members are not friendly. The lift was not operating. The aircon was not working.

I only liked de fact that its great located.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

Pillows were rather lumpy and was unaware that one had to request a fridge - found that a bit strange. The fact that a very noisy function was held below the accommodation is also a bit off putting - we were able to move but what if the hotel was full?

Lovely breakfast.Enjoyed the cereal/nuts/seeds etc with the fruit and yoghurt - very good.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

I went to bed at about 10 pm.I was travelling with my adult daughter who had gone out with a friend.There was a knock at the door and I got up thinking she had lost her card.I looked down the passage and there was no one to be seen.About 30 minutes later again there door handle was juggled and again I got up thinking it was my daughter ,the passage was clear. At 11:30 the door opened and to my amazement there was man standing in my room.I was incredibly frightened,he turned around and walked out without saying anything.When I checked out the next morning the lady on reception said it was the duty manager checking the occupancy of the rooms.I was not impressed at all.

The location and room size.Braekfast was great.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

1.The chef needs to be more proffessional and needs to show some alacrity. On arrival we bought breakfast and it was so annoying to wait for long in order to get the omelet, seemingly the chef on duty was supposed to go and the handover from one chef to the other was not smooth and we had to wait for long. 2. I wish there could be beefbacon or haddock or any fish in order to accomodate those who do not eat pork. I did not enjoy my omelet with onion,mushroom and peppers only. Thank you.

The staff attitude was very welcoming and positive. So thrilled by the flexibility to accomodate request.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

The morning staff were rude and made it seem as though they were doing us a favor. The shower head needs to be changed

The food was excellent and the day staff was very friendly. Bed very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Standard Twin Room with Cliff View

Bookings.com gave us a garden view room instead of seaside like we asked. When we asked if we could switch rooms the staff told us all rooms were booked, but we could clearly see this wasn't the case. We were also supposed to receive a welcome drink which never came.

Hotel has a good location near the beachfront and close to nice restaurants. Room interior was nice.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

The dining room is a little dark - especially for breakfast times

Staff were very friendly, accommodation lovely and situation perfect for our purposes

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

No lifts, no fridge in room, room was cramped - am not sure this is still 4 star rating

Location Location

Breakfast was my favorite

• Deluxe Double Room with Cliff View

The old carpets cause a stuffy smell.

The location is ideal.

Hotel getting dated

Great location. Very friendly staff that eagerly assists.

SERVICE AT RECEPTION TERRIBLE

• Standard Twin Room with Cliff View

The cliff view was a rock wall.

Easy walk to the beach and the restaurant.

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

Our entire experience was positive at the hotel. We were provided early check in and had a good room with sea view and balcony.

Bathroom is a bit cramped

Staff were very helpful and we enjoyed having a couple of quiet ones in the bar with it's fine view.

All fine.

Big modern rooms . Comfortable bed. Clean . Good breakfast. Friendly and safe. Good value.

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

Convenient location, easy safe parking space, quiet hotel, food available until late evening.

No robes in the room

The bed was super comfy

• Deluxe Double Room with Cliff View

Friendly staff. We had a quiet room at the back of the hotel with its own small terrace. Great to relax after a long flight from the UK.

• Standard Twin Room with Cliff View

The room and the bathroom were small.

The breakfast was good. The bed was comfortable.

Hot water, wasn't very hot.

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

Our room was very comfortable.

Location & good value for money

higj

I really enjoy staying at this hotel. The staff are extremely friendly and welcoming and cleaning standards are very high. The hotel

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

View from the restaurant deck

Limited view from room 44 balcony

The location and the facility's The breakfast,friendly staff ,pub and restaurant

• Standard Twin Room with Cliff View

Being mislead with room we booked which wasn’t what it said. Way too much of this going on in industry.

wasn't there

wasn't there

Musty rooms.

View from the balcony on Port Elizabeth.

no restaurants

the location and staff were helpful

• Standard Twin Room with Cliff View

The building is not in it's best condition.

Good breakfast, very friendly stuff.

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

None that I can think of

Friendly staff, value for money, close to several restaurants and entertainment areas and most of all the beach

The breakfast

Location proximity to various places of entertainment

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

Rooms were a bit tired as were the corridors, overall a little dated.

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

Food was excellent staff were friendly and helpful all was better than we expected or hoped.

• Standard Twin Room with Cliff View

Lovely atmosphere, friendly staff, room service food from the restaraunt was fantastic, breakfast was also great

All up to expectations

Na.

Room tidy, clean and fresh. Breakfast good. Staff friendly Close to beach

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

Hotel is a bit tired -definitely not 4 star but value for money.

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

Friendly staff.Nice outside space.

Excellent food at the restaurant at the hotel.

No mall near by

I loved how close to the beach it was. It was literally 5 min away.

• Standard Twin Room with Sea View

Sunday morning the cleaners wanted to clean room. We did not checked out yet

Staff unfriendly

All the stairs

Breakfast was good. Loved the view

Bathroom

Where was located

Standards and fealing not great

Just ok