Reviews of Gooderson Tropicana Hotel 3 stars

85 Marine Parade, 4001 Durban, South Africa

#38 of 54 hotels in Durban

• Standard Room

house hold were very slow in terms of cleaning the room and some days they forgot to replace the things needed in the room.

The room and the beds were very comfy and welcoming. The bedding was clean.

• Family Room

They didn't have warm water for our whole stay and the water was cut for the better part of our stay. They should have warned the guests about the water cuts so we can be prepared.

The hotel location is perfect & had a sea view room. Don't need to drive to access most of the restaurants, shops and the beach. The breakfast menu improved a lot compared to the last time I stayed there and I liked the fact that they catered for comrades runners by serving us with the full breakfast at 02 am on Sunday morning.

• Family Room

We have water problem with the pipe that had burst and that was not good at all because it was not the situation i have experienced before since i visited this place.

Hospitality, the accomodation was awesome and outstanding

• Standard Room

No water for 2 mornings Cockrouches No sea view and requested for that Breakfast variaty poor Breakfast service poor...none actually

ONLY the coffee!!

• Standard Room

It is really very old. Sometimes was very noisy because of the street.

Lovation - the ocean, the beach, some shops. All the facilities for comrades are good enough. the breakfast was simple but good enough.

• Standard Room

We were unable to sleep. due to noise form 5pm to 5am. The bursting of pipes and not having water and not able to bath.

Breakfast was awesome as well as the staff customer service. The cleaning staff services were excellent

• Family Room

Lack of towels in bedroom, Tv loosing signal most of my 90% i spent in the room.First breakfast not excellent the menu to order from was extremely limited

The room was clean

• Standard Room

The night club next door - noisy at night for the side-facing rooms , better to be on the 3 top floors , so it will be less noisy. Sea-facing rooms should get less noise. The bath is narrow and no shower mat in the bath so if you shower you can slip. A big (fatish) person wont be able to bath - only shower.

The food is very good.

• Standard Room

They could provide fridges in the room, this was missing, otherwise can recommend it. Street peole, begging on this side of the beachfront in comparison to north beach.

This place is right in front of the beach.

• Family Room

We had to wait for more than a day for the iron. They should have told us to bring ours. We were not aware that breakfast money for our kids was not included in the booking fee and was to be paid on arrival. At the reception they don't check who arrived first in the ques and assist on first come ... basis

The linen was clean and changed on second day. The porters were more friendly. The guy from parking lot accompanied me and the kids from the parking area and assured us about our safety. The kitchen staff was more friendly than the reception staff. My kids felt more comfortable with them.

• Standard Room

Property is so old and outdated, the star rating for the hotel is totally incorrect. No Micro-oven, no fridge, WiFi strength poor. No brush in the toilet, dirty carpet. Shower and bath facility old. Most hotel that I have been there have digitalized their room to meet customer demands. Staying in the hotel should feel like a home away from home but instead, I missed my house more than the stay at Gooderson. Otherwise breakfast was awesome.

You are close to the beach obvioulsy

• Family Room

I did not like the bathroom, it was too congested and not up to a good standard.

I like the breakfast and the location of the hotel next to the beaches.

• Standard Room

everything was great but they should next time help out with the touring of durban, help us with easy way of finding things especially transportation. it was a bit difficult to go to different places.

we had an awesome stay.

• Family Room

The cost of the accommodation was not clearly explained to me when making the booking. Had to pay extra on arrival. The Reception guy on duty when I checked in was not friendly. The breakfast menu needs some variety - served the same food daily.

• Family Room

Hotel too much old,I book was family room. Breakfast only for adults Children have to pay agin +R100,Do I must to kick them out?and the food all Rubbish ,no fresh.the room was no fridge.i first time to see Hotel no fridge.they cheat was no WiFi.parking was sooooo bad so old just take the ruins building to use.still cost R80 a day.out side was bus station Tex station too much people feeling no safe.also tooo close town at the night 2 clock still too much noise can’t sleep.TV only Snowing

• Family Room

Housekeeping came and undid the bed only return hours later to make it up and clean my room. Would have preferred to leave them to it for an hour and return once everything is done

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly

• Standard Room

The place is busy pliz service ur lifts,every morning for 5day we had to walk down the stairs from tenth floor,thats not Ayoba

Safe even for cars,close tovthe beach

• Family Room

The manager at the 7 palms was rude and unprofessional. The breakfast could have a better set up and quality. Sort out your dstv channels

Location to the beach and rooms very comfy

• Family Room

Housekeeping was very slow...we would leave in the morning and come back back to a dirty room in the afternoon with the housekeeping lady still busy in other rooms...i actually think one lady was responsible for the whole floor hence the delay they should add staff....also having to pay for kids meals when we were travelling with 5 kids was a huge turn off.

The location...its right at the beach which was very convenient as we were travelling with kids

Everything beach front.

The hotel is very neat and tidy,the food was very nice,waitresses where helpfully if you need something they were always there,I love Tropicana hotel.

the view from our room

My son loved the croissant,bed was comfortable.But the noise level at night were unbearable.We could not open the window for fresh air

• Family Room

No Wifi Access on Top Floors Only 1 lift working Holes in Bed Linen / Sheets No hairdryer

Location Fresh Towels Bar / Restaurant Food Good

lift and air conditions need seriously attention and maintenance

good and comfy and close to all anxieties, lift need Good some seed otherwise good and well located

• Family Room

I like to thank Olwethu the way treatment she gave us from day 1 until the end and she know how to work with people she must keep it up the good standard and the staff was always having an smile and the breakfast was very nice every day thanx for everything we did enjoy our holidays we will come back again

• Family Room

We were happy to stay at the hotel, however, the noise level from the club at the corner was a bit noisy and disturbing

The location and distance to the beach and other entertainment places surrounding

• Standard Room

The fact that there is no drinking water in the rooms was abit off and there is no air conditioning in the reception and corridors, and the hotel not having their own car parking for their guests is a no no.

I liked the breakfast a lot it was delicious and the friendly staff.

• Family Room

The room does not have a fridge, not all the given tv channels worked and they could upgrade the bathroom taps.

The coffee at breakfast was delicious and so were the scones.

• Standard Room

I ca not complain everything was the best but small thing just the carpet hard bad small smell after cleaning acn be becouse of water and the absent of a fringe was just sad moment even a bar one ,

the Staff was so friendly the will great u every where they see u the room was so perfect and very very clean it was clean daily and Lena change breakfast was to die for me and may love hard the best

• Family Room

The elevators were a nightmare,one didnt work at all and the other was very slow.i saw a couple of roaches in my room during my stay,toilets didnt have toilet brushes which was very incovenient as i was travelling with kids. No iron in the room was also a huge inconvenience as previous hotels i had slept in had an iron and uroning board in the room,having to pay for childrens breakfast daily while when booking it stated with breakfast was a huge turn off as i was travelling with 5 kids hence i will not be booking my kids and i there next year.My stay wasnt that bad but it wasnt great either.

Very close to the beach

• Family Room

It could have been nice to have a microwave and bar fridge (mini kitchen) in the room.

We enjoyed our stay at Gooderson Tropicana Hotel, the room was always clean and their staff was friendly and helpful and breakfast was very nice.

• Family Room

Room services,lifts only 1 lift was working and their rooms didn't have basin, bar fridge and microwave.. which I found it very odd.😐

Breakfast was fair, though some of The cups had cracks.

• Standard Room

Bed not comfortable. At some point we didnt have electricity and the maintenance guy couldnt help.

Room was spacious and nicely ventilated. the view was great.

• Family Room

Room service was not done in time,electrical plugs not working,floor was wet and smelling and the lift is too slow, the food at restaurant next door is so bad (clippers).the hotel structure is too old

• Family Room

a small cockroach in the bathroom but that was the only one we saw during the 4 day stay, lifts are not great (one out of order and waiting times way too long so we had quite a few workouts going up and down to/from 8th floor)

allowed to check in early without problems, sea view rooms really nice, our kid locked the safe and once reported it was sorted out immediately by the manager, breakfast was good but you had to come early

• Family Room

Housekeeping was on the slow side with replacement of towels and only 1 lift was in working condition. 1 Egg station where bacon omelettes are made with all the other eggs. Really need a seperate egg and vegetable station only

The staff were super all around and breakfast was great if you're a meat eater

• Family Room

They took long before my room was cleaned again and i needed to take a nap after my night at the club🙈

The breakfast was good..its safe also the staff is friendly i loved my stay there and i will definitely come back with my family

• Family Room

The aircon unit in room 818 needs to be serviced and cleaned inside. As we were turning on the unit, it made some rattling noise, I switched it higher and a big coackroach fell out, I had to take care of it as my 5 year old was scared of it. Moments later, a second one fell off. I took care of that one too. Basement of the parking area needs a little attention, hygienic side.

Location, vibe, service, restaurants, friendly staff, HAPPY, HAPPY,HAPPY. It made my WIFE'S AND SON'S BIRTHDAY sooooooo Special.

• Family Room

I didn't like the fact that I wanted a cake for my kids and I couldn't get one, then I wanted an extra pap n they couldn't assist me there as well, in one day the kitchen stuff disappointed me twice. I was not impressed at all with that.

The way the stuff was so friendly and the breakfast was the best.

• Family Room

Oil used in restaurant not good quality.deserts not good quality either bathrooms not spotless.hairs of previous occupants on the floor

Beds comfortable and bedding clean

• Family Room

The parking was in a horrible building with lifts that were on and off. It was very dirty. Didnt like that we had to leave the hotel building to get to the car. Then it was the baby cot that i requested when i made the booking and 3 times after making a booking.when we arrived it was not in our room and we had to make numerous calls from the room.

The staff was very friendly, helpful and greeted us with a smile always. Offered to help when they saw me looking for rooibos tea then offered to bring to my table in a kettle.

• Standard Room

There was nothing I didn't like.

The staff was good and helpful. The cleanliness was very good the beds soft and when I went back Gooderson is my place.

• Family Room

The unfriendlynes at the reception area. The lack of facilities in the room. One small sachets milk for tea and few sugar.

The breakfast, the beds was very comfortable. And the service from the kitchen staff was good

• Family Room

It would've been nice had they put something to clean the bathtub as I was travelling with a kid. For hygiene purposes. There was no WIFI connection for the room, imagine not having internet connection the whole weekend.

Overall stay was nice, their breakfast was the best. We always found our room clean in the evenings. The staff at reception is very friendly, the cleaners as well. It was awesome my baby was haooy the whole time

• Family Room

The room smell of fungus, the Airconditioner was not working, when I reported to the staff they claimed they forgot .I was sent to another room to find out it was smelling and dirty, with towels all over the door.The breakfast was lousy, not appetizing at all.

I didn't enjoy anything

• Family Room

Stinky carbet , poor lighting, toilet area outdated no separate shower, funny toilet hall, sachet milk not nice packing area scarry

Breakfast and sea view

• Family Room

The cups and glasses were not washed the whole 5 days being there,so i had to rinse and use again as there were no dishcloth to do that(myself). But i didn't allow that to spoil all the good things.

The breakfast was delicious with fresh fruits.The bed was comfortable. The receptionist sister Olwethu was so friendly, professional,humble and respectful. It is said the receptionist is the face of the company,That's how she is.

• Family Room

Promptness of house keeping services in the morning. Saturday I left the room with my family for breakfast and we went out for hours came back close to noon, only to find that plates from supper we had in the room where still in the room, beds not made. Had to call for them to come and complete the service. Kind suggestion, if you could have some bath tub cleaning utensils in the rooms. In this instance we struggled to find what to clean the tub with in readiness for next persons to bath.

The room was great, staff very great and professional. view from the room is superb. Meals at the Restaurant are always fresh and staff there is friendly.

• Family Room

Dangerous area at night. Cannot walk with your family on beach at night or around Hotel. Very noisy from beach front at 02:00. Parking in other building and dangerous if walk back to your Hotel after arrive back late.

• Family Room

On the first day of the arrival room 316 was cleaned well but on the third day which was on Sunday. The cleanliness was unsatisfactory. The carpet had indicated that it was not cleaned at all. Dusting was not satisfactory. Even the big mirror on the wall next to the bath

I liked almost everything. The fact that the place is so quite and next to the beach

• Standard Room

Bit old building, especially the bathroom. When asked for an iron, I was redirected to a room which was not very practical. The attached ironing board is useless!

Very nice location close to the beach and I had a good view...!

• Family Room

Cleaning of windows .... they were dusty. The cleaning staff need to improve on that.

Breakfast was great. The rooms are big enough and the location of the hotel is excellent. My kids had a wonderful time. The staff both cleaning and reception staff were welcoming and helpful. I would love to visit again.

• Standard Room

Wanted 1 x large double bed - we got two double beds Shower was in a bath with a curtain Shower had very little pressure and no hot water - luke warm No drinks in the bar fridge.

Beds were very comfortable TV worked Aircon worked Nice Views

• Family Room

THE TOWELS WERE REALLY GREY INSTEAD OF WHITE. SO DISUSTING. THE CLEANING OF THE ROOM I HAD TO REQUEST EVEN IF I LEFT THE CARD ON MY DOOR THE PROTER WAS NEVER AVAILABLE WHEN NEEDED. I HAD TO TAKE MY OWN BAGGAGE TO THE ROOM AND BACK DOWNSTAIRS

BREAKFAST WAS EXCELLENT ON THE SECOND DAY AND THE LAST DAY THE THIRD DAY THE FRUIT AND CRACKERS WERE NOT IN GOOD TASTE

• Family Room

lady who was doing checklist for laundry, only knocked once in our room and threw herself in our room and i was just chilling in the room half naked, that did not sit well with me

food was excellent, rooms were neat

• Family Room

The linen was taken off early every morning, the room left in disarray until 14:00

We enjoyed the breakfast, every morning the children looked forward for it

• Family Room

The parking was horrible and dodgy, as a lady if i had to park there alone, i would not feel safe at all. The one bed was squeaky, probably needs a change. Though close to the beach, the noise outside the hotel was horrendous. The people played music across the street from their cars until 2am in the morning. For a holiday i would have preferred somewhere quieter at night.

The room were always cleaned as expected. The breakfast was good, no need to complain about it. The staff was always helpful.

• Family Room

Breakfast sitting arrangements - it was full and often inconvenience as one has to wait Limited TV channels Facilities outdated

Nothing, just a boring substandard accommodation facility

• Family Room

If the rooms were separated as family rooms especially if you were a couple with children.

Croissants were palatable en breakfast was more than delicious

• Family Room

there were no many channels in your tv,please upgrade them

I don't have much to say,everything goes as i plan with my family,thanks to the management, keep it up

• Standard Room

It's dirty,looks like is falling apart,carpets are sticky,dirty and smelly,taps are leaking,when the rooms next door use their bathroom We hear the drain making noise, the food is not nice it was a disappointment

None or what so ever

The sea view, stuff treatment and the breakfast was perfect. Would like to visit again. We had the best vacation ever.thank you Gooderson Hotel and booking.com .

• Standard Room

not having fridge in my room

service is better with friendly staff including restaurant ,there cleaners are excellent people .they cleaned my room, good people

• Family Room

There was no bar fridge in the room ( for keeping ice for the cool drinks and ice water).

the croissants were excellent. the staff was helpful. the location breathtaking. As Cape townians we have beautiful sea views and stunning land scapes but our sea water is cold. Durban's sea water is warm and the scenery beautiful.

• Family Room

The hidden prices for assisting us to budget properly for our vacation: 1. Vacation fee 2. What ages are children 3. Cost for breakfast for children. 4. Didn't deduct half the fee even though I authorized them to thus had to pay huge amount @ once. Administration of payments is really suspicious.

The Breakfast was fine and chefs really were friendly. The mats in the foyer were clean and the stairs and lift encouraged one to relax when u want to move in & out of our room

• Family Room

cleanliness of the hotel overall and the poor upkeep of the property. Parking area limited and building terrible. Service needs improvement. Breakfast area not pleasant and not sufficent cutlery.

the room was comfortable.

• Family Room

Nearest location to all the amenities we required. Air conditioning to cool the room from the hot weather. Friendly staff who ensure that service rendered was great

• Family Room

Almost everything. It was dirty and small and the tv was bad the bathroom was bad there were stains on the sheets and towels. Breakfast was very limited and no halaal food or halaal friendly.

The staff and that's all.

• Family Room

Cleaning of the rooms was not that satisfactory. Cleaning times were far too late. Sometimes we could get to the room around 16:00 and find out that they're still busy cleaning. Try to include a small bar fridge inside the room.

• Family Room

bar fridge in rooms needed and bathroom mats

breakfast was good and staff there very efecient the room was kept clean i would recommend bar fridge in the rooms

• Standard Room

The view from the room made us wonder if we were still on holiday. Carpet in the room made us want to stay out all day. Parking ‘cave’ was so creepy my car even got a huge scratch. Staff not necessarily helpful.

Breakfast was just, just ok.

• Family Room

Booked on behalf of a friend.The day they were supposed to arrive my husband was informed that the hotel is no longer affiliated to booking.com and they therefore cannot assist him.Luckily a manager intervened who had witnessed my husband coming the day before to make payment and informed the staff that they have an obligation to assist him.Please remove Tropicana from your database if what they claim is true that they no longer have an affiliation with your company.Imagine had it not been for the intervention of that manager we would have been embarrassed with our guests not having accomodation!

• Family Room

Reception area not well kept. Lifts not superb clean appears to be result of short staffing. Clippers menu and deco unappealing. Daily Christmas music at breakfast palms venue was torture.

Friendly staff,fantastic bed/pillows,close approximately to most activities like Ushaka Marine,shops, etc

• Family Room

i wish there was a small kitchenette with small fridge, small cabinet, cutlery and a sink to wash our own dishes.

the room was neat, well taken care of daily. the beds were so comfortable. i liked the breakfast, enough to choose from especially if you are allergic. the whole staff was so kind and welcoming, including the bosses. i liked the way the bosses handle their staff and customers. they lead by example and practice what they preach. they have a good approach and attitude.

• Family Room

1. Had to wait an hour for the room to be ready (we arrived after check-in time). 2. Room was not clean, still had chicken-bones on the floor. 3. Airconditioning died after an hour, would not be repaired. 4. Found 3 different crawling insect species in the room (on the 8th floor!?) 5. Safety box was not working, could not be repaired. 6. Only 2 elevators - loong waiting times. 7. Very noisy at night - no double glass. 8. The ventilation in the bathroom is a window that cannot be closed, venting into the bedroom. Asked for a full or partial refund: The trainee was clearly instructed to say the process would take 3 months. We left after one night, having paid for 4.

Leaving the place was wonderful.

• Standard Room

Parking across the road. Waiting in crowded foya for room number to be called for breakfast. Waiting again when requesting items to be filled like milk, bacon butter white bread etc.

The rooms were clean and beds comfortable.