Reviews of Tudor Hotel 3 stars

153 Longmarket Street, Greenmarket Square, 8001 Cape Town, South Africa

#123 of 152 hotels in Cape Town

6.1

• Luxury Double Room

The room 408 was dark kinda makes it scary, had to ask for Nico to change the globe, such a nice guy. the phone provided in the room was useless, it was freezing the whole time. We coudnt do one thing from it.

The hotel is clean and The Breakfast was Fantastic.

I got 1 cockroach that I had to kill

Everything was comfortable, it was beyond my expectations, I couldn't have breaks fast as I had to leave on the evening of my stay...

The breakfast was a total put off.. The food is served in paperplates,the coffee is serve in papercups The cutlery is plastic throw aways...its more like an outside picnic... This is totally unacceptable service for a hotel..i dont even eat at my own house out of throw away crockery ...why should i eat at a hotel in such a manner.. when ask the chefs they told me they need to save on water....absolute bull....

The paper plates and plastic cutlery. I understand the notion behind it but they should look into other alternatives

Staff is always friendly, rooms are affordable and breakfast is included

We were only a few guest and while I understand the need to save water, the use of plastic knives and forks and paper plates and cups for breakfast just DID NOT compliment the overall style of the hotel!! Especially since the breakfast was excellant!

Very dirty place. From the table clothes to the carpets. Absolutely filthy. Completely noisy. Trucks and people outside the hotel at all hours of night made it impossible to sleep. Breakfast was late every morning. No staff would approach to offer service at breakfast and I would have to seek them out to be able to order. Will never go back and do not recommend.

Linen is not changed from one visitor to the next. We were given linen with a red spot that was never changed the entire time we were there dispute ask asking. Breakfast menu must be completely changed. The bed was uncomfortable.

I think the reception needs upgrading. Not sure if it is a one star or three star rated establishment.

It was clean and I was quite pleased to see that they are making a concerted effort to save water. Biodegradable plates , cups etc used at buffet breakfast. Appreciated the free wifi.

The Internet vouger system need to be revised as 1 day before departure we stay with net due the Vouge internet finishing to guest, there are few people asking for money next to hotel that make people feel sometime unsafe

I loved the breakfast, the clean is one of most clean hotel I saw so far, the hospitality of people works there , the receptionists a every friendly , nice and professional , the fact to be close to main tourist place and long street as well, the smartphone they have for guest so that they can use and make call for free.

Balcony room with no balcony access. Air conditioner was weak. Hotel has no parking. First floor very noisy.

Fabulous staff, clean and comfortable rooms, good location. Access to Travel Buddy was AWESOME.

• Family Suite

The beds and pillows were a little hard. I have a bad back and it was difficult to get comfortable.

It was a quaint little hotel. It was right by a major outdoor market and close to other souvenir shops.

EVERYTHING!!

The beds were uncomfortable, the bedding dirty, the air con didn't work. It's the worst place I've ever been to. And for R1800 a night, it's a rip off. The pictures on the site does not compare. My daughter was bitten by something!!!

My room was swarming with cockroaches. The rug on the floor looked dirty. My bedroom didn’t have a door. The breakfast was horrendous. The admin lady added an extra fee to the hotel rate without my consent & I only saw this when I was about to swipe my card. When I asked her she said it was donation for the street kids.

There’s nothing I liked about this hotel.

Nothing really

I was trying to clear a hangover because I had to catch a flight, the breakfast helped though, thanks Ohh, to Velma, next time l am in Cape Town. I will bring that thang...

A hotel of prostitutes and pimps Not to mention that I ordered one room, I got another room and booking choose to blame me instead of the order system.

If you have a room at the front of the hotel it is very, very noisy outside. Every morning at 6am the market is set up. Lots of noise of people outside all night and noisy bars/restaurants in the square. I had to use earplugs to get some sleep - I've never done that before anywhere. Didn't expect to find cockroaches in the room. Room was quite compact.

Hotel is ideal for access to city centre and waterfront

Oke hotel!

Very nice city hotel,with kind staff. Room are comfortable. Breakfast is fine with eggs to order. Hotel is right at Greenmarket square. Hop on bus at 50m . We had a great time at the Tudor.

Shower too small to get into; tap heads need repair; no basin tub plugs. Paint work on doors is bad; Door handle needs repairs; the lifts work BUT need to be cleaned. Provide double beds not two 3/4 beds.

Breakfast starts at 7am and i was there at 7:15 but was told no eggs because the chef was not in yet for two days i was there.

The beds were comfortable

The breakfast.. Very poor no one want to eat chicken livers or fish cakes in the morning. Orange juice not freshly squeezed

That is around market Square

• Family Suite

no bar fridge in rooms, no dustbin in each room, lift is old and need upgrade, no airvents in toilets and no toilet spray. table in main bedroom to be moved away from foot of bed, injured my foot

Easy access to hotel andd cleanliness of the the rooms

The wifi is terrible, & didnt work more often than it worked the whole time. Shower temp was either boiling hot or freezing cold. Hard to keep it at a 2 minute shower like this. Breakfast was a disorganized mess. The kitchen staff were great but there just seemed to be a lot of fuss for something that happens daily.

The room was beautiful and huge. We had an amazing balcony that overlooked the market and the price point was fantastic. Staff were all very friendly and helpful.

Everything was fine

I liked the fact I knew I would like the hotel, given a great stay at the Tudor ten years ago. Once again, I had a very nice time. The hotel is a lovely place with a lot of Cape Town history. The lady on reception was always helpful with my questions. I could not recommend the Tudor Hotel more

• Luxury Double Room

I felt safe, but the locks on the door could be more solid.

Great location for seeing major sights and museums. The hotel is very central and I liked the character of the older building. Generous breakfast buffet and the staff were friendly. Nice large rooms.

• Luxury Double Room

The shower in our top floor room had low water pressure and a clogged drain.

Breakfast was excellent, staff were friendly and helpful. Nice bar in the lobby in the evenings. Spacious and comfortable room.

Connection to the wifi was cumbersome, and the nightly noise was a bit annoying though it was compensated by the extremely comfortable bed

I liked the cemtral location of the hotel, the comfortable room, the politeness and professionalism of the staff,, among others.

wonderful welcome -- so nice after 24+ hours of travel. Immediate help with booking tours, including advice and confirmations. All staff were helpful, including breakfast, late evening.

I was completely disgusted. The room smelt of old feet when I got there. The shower head does not even work correctly and I had to spend 30 Min adjusting it. The staff did not want to warm up my food. I had a visitor come by which the receptionist allowed howecer upon check out I was forced to pay for my visitor. I refused as it was told to me before hand but the owner started harrassing me in the foyer. This hotel is horrible and they have no way of treating the customers with respect. I will definitely not recommend this place to anyone.

Nothing besides that it was convenient to book

I booked for a single room with a double bed for for 2 adults which was offered at R640p/n but system gave me room for 1 adult. Queried & it was upgraded but then I got 2 single beds to celebrate my 25th anniversary.Disappointed very disappointed and I had to pay more.

Staff was friendly and the breakfast was good.Room was clean and cleaned everyday

I saw roaches. The shower had no curtain so there was always tons of water on the floor after showering. Some of the staff were a bit hostile.

The location. The beds were very comfortable.

I parked infront of the hotel with no warning from anyone and was woken up early to move my vechile. This let to a confrontation with a bus driver who claimed the parking belong to him. The noise from the night club across the road was a huge disturbance

Breakfast was Amazing and no rush to check out , I liked that

Pillows not comfortable at all. They need more plugs in the rooms, especially adaptors. They should also check if guests are smokers or non smokers as you can smell thick smoke even when not smoking. More plugs!

Great breakfast! Central location.

There is no parking at the hotel it is just a mission to get a space of parking just to drop the luggage. The hotel inside is not appealing and will never book to that hotel if I get a chance. The staff friendliness leave a lot yo be desired. The lift is just unbearable. The blankets are not sufficient for a hotel stay. I hate to pay for a parking if I am in the hotel. The parking for a hotel is too far and is really unsafe to walk especially during the night as it is in the city centre.

Room was lovely and clean. Good facilities. Breakfast each day was delicious and the staff were very friendly and helpful with organising any tour or anything I wanted to do.

Blocked shower Too few TV channels-No movies, just sport Parking-It didn't feel safe at all No cafe or snack bar

The background music-The Beatles etc Tea & coffee in room Large choice of breakfast items Air conditioning in room Excellent location

The room was a bit smelly.There is no chair/table in the room.The lift is a too small.There is no parking, so one has to offload at hotel,drive to a parking about 200 mtrs away and then walk back to hotel.

The location is supreme-right in the middle of city with number of dining options at less than 100 meter-including Bukhara,Bombay Brasserie(inside Taj hotel).Staff is very good, always smiling.

The TV channels were very few and did not even work properly, even after they "fixed" them. It is a bit of a hassle to use new vouchers for internet all the time.

The breakfast spread was amazing every day. The staff were very helpful.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Filter coffee in room would have been great. Hair Conditioner and hairdryer would also have been a plus (couldn't find it if there was one).

Lovely room for very reasonable price. Very friendly proprietor.

great location - it's central, has lots of cafes and restaurants nearby. It's also 2 minutes away from both "red bus" (hop-on-and-off around Cape Town - strongly recommended) as well as the "baz bus" (to the Garden Route) stops.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

There is a need for more cleanliness in the hotel. You can imagine finding cockroaches in the room!!!

I liked the location of the hotel being near major tourist attraction and Cape Town International Convention Center

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

The best feature of this hotel is its location. It's literally 2/3 minutes from one of the stops for the "red bus" (hop-on/off bus) as well as the "baz bas" (long distance hop-on/off bus to the Garden Route). It is very close to bars and restaurants, and a relatively safe area. As a solo female traveler I did not venture out at night by myself but felt ok to just walk to restaurants nearby after dark. The staff are extremely friendly and accommodating and the wifi worked well in most areas.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

• Luxury Double Room

The WIFI in our room was very bad, at times we could not even connect to the network. Even though we mentioned it at the reception, nothing was done about it.

The Hotel is located in heart of Cape town and has a feel of the local culture and people. The market and restaurant's are all a stones throw away. The city tour bus and all the local attractions are all so close by. The ambience is buzzing and you can have a lot of fun.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

I would like gree tea in my room (just need to ask for it, they have in the bar).

The staff is so sweet, I have returned to this hotel several times, I consider it my home in Cape Town when here for business. If you want city center this is perfect location. If you run the Company Gardens are just next door for a morning work out with a view of Table Mountain. It is real value for money.

Parking outside too risky,had to park at old hospital parking at R120 for 8 hours twice. felt very unsafe walking back from parking,area full of prostitutes, undesirables and drunk people. Restaurant looked make shift,did not even bother with breakfast. Can not believe that hotel has 3 stars.

Nothing,broshure describes upmarket hotel,not a rundown dump.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

There nothing I didn't like at all

The place is clean and super comfortable I love the place I had sooo much fun and breakfast out of this world thank you Tudor.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

We asked for a quiet room but to be honest I don´t think there is any quiet rooms in this hotel. It is very very noicy, like the walls are made of paper - if you are a light sleeper this is NOT a hotel for you. Especially not during weekend since there is nightclubs around. And during the week-morning the market below starts early and they start dragging there carts making terrible noice from the street. Furthermore the bathrooms is not very nice with mold and bad smell and such.

The breakfast was nice, especially the omelettes! The location of the hotel, in the middle of Cape town is very good.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Really did regret leaving my own home when I had to sleep because of the uncomfortable beds they literally had a whole on the middle and felt the springs of the mattress. Toilet and bath needs a revamp. Love the old fashioned look but the building doesn't need to be old.

The old fashioned look was scary at first but eventually really enjoyed it definitely different from what I'm us to.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

The Tudor Hotel was fantastic. It's a beautiful, old hotel with lots of charm and character. Breakfast is included in the room rate and the variety of food offered adds to the value for money that this hotel offers. The hotel is located on Green Market Square which hosts a market every day of the week. It is also a short walk to the shops, bars and restaurants of Long Street. The staff are lovely. They are friendly and helpful and made our stay there extremely comfortable. I would recommend the Tudor Hotel to friends and family and would stay there again.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

The quality of the electrical equipment and shower.

The staff was amazing. Very friendly and always made sure the asked if you were okay. The night manager is excellent and always willing to assist. I like the fact that staff face you your space and freedom. It was a very calm and comfortable environment and when you walked into the hotel you felt at home. thank you. Will never hesitate to go back.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

Rooms were poorly maintained and general cleanliness was not up to our expectations.

The staff, the breakfast and the location were great. It's a very nice location to plan the visit of the central part of Cape Town

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

The non existing view. The view was basically a wall, which made the turn quite dark and gloomy. Absolutely no hint of a sunshine coming through, we actually thought it was going to rain on our first morning, only to realise it was beautifully sunny once we went out.

The location. The champagne touch on new year day (for breakfast).

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

The bathroom did not look like the pictures at all. What we got was an old school shower(shower focet in bath) not the shower in the pictures. I also did not like the fact that we did not have a remote to control our own dstv even though the website said so aswell as the fact that there was no room service.

I liked that someone came to clean the room everyday. The staff were really friendly too.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

The cleanliness of the room was of great concern to me. The dirty linen/smelling pillows.

The kitchen staff were very friendly. The lady receptionist was very professional and always wore her uniform with a smile.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Mr Tino in the restaurant was wonderful. The hotel is a block from one of the offices of the hop-on/hop-off bus (which I highly recommend), adjacent to the Green

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

It was extremely noisy and the staff didnt assist me to do anythin about that (like move me to a room at the back of the hotel as requested) I only got to leep 03:30 and had to attend 12 hours of seminaar the next day.

it was neat and tidy. Some of the staff was really friendly.

The bathroom and room decor could have done with a revamp But for the location and price, it was good

The warm and friendly staff made my stay great Plus the convenience of being so close to the city centre for such great value was what I liked about the Tudor

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

Noise of the buses early hours of the morning. Room not cleaned properly after the first night. Bin dirty and not emptied

The breakfast was good, wide variety.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

Red button WiFi network - works but only till i used 200MB daily, works further after minight. Cannot authenticate, incorrect SSL certificate, Very slow.

No roaches in hotel, clean, very helpful personnel, good prices

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Standard very low. Most things did not function well as there was no adapter, the water cooker did not work, no hair dryer

Helpful night porter. Very central

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

Parking was terrible. Entrance was small and the elevator too. Was difficult to get my luggage in and out. Didn't have help getting my luggage down. Had to make 3 trips with the elevator as its so small and cramped.

Room was cosy and comfy. Clean and neat.

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

stains on the floor in the passage. Unset tables during breakfast (had to look for cutlery and crockery every morning). If a white towel is so old that its brown, perhaps replace it. There was a pvt stairway right over my bed and I could hear management walk over it while still trying to sleep.

reception area was great as well as a very centralised location. Could walk pretty much everywhere I needed to be.

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

The only disappointment was the cigarette smell in my room it caused me a lot of discomfort as i am not a smoker as everything in my room had the cigarette smell. Secondly the door stopper in the bathroom placed in the way kept on walking into it I think it needs to be seriously looked into otherwise a guest can seriously injured!

I did enjoy the generous breakfast in the morning & good friendly service I received.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

WiFi operated by third-party provider, their captive portal works with browsers under Android and SailfishOS but not with Chromium or Firefox under Debian GNU/Linux.

Friendly stuff, excellent location.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2016

This hotel actually surprised me in the way it was affordable yet it performed well.

Great location, i walked to all my meetings. Public bus My Citi bus system is great for the traveler connected from the Airport to my hotel. Breakfast is good. room size is good. WiFi was good and I could connect at anytime.

Stayed in May 2016

Small space and very noisey

Breakfast was fairly good.

Friendly professional staff, good breakfast, comfortable room, excellent location.

Really good all round at great rate. Wake up call was on a dime.

Staff members are awesome, friendly and courteous!

Cozy but extra small toilets

The noise on the 4th floor from the outside aircon.

The friendliness, helpfulness of the kitchen and reception staff

Only issue is that the hotel has highly limited tv channels

The room is very comfortable and spacious.

The lift was very poor... didn’t like at all...

Was privacy was good.

Room 402 needs a new bed.

Location was awesome; awesome staff; for the price, you can't complain.

rooms are not that clean

The plastic knives and forks and the foamalite cups and plates

Location is great