2. South Africa hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Tulbagh Stay

Reviews of Tulbagh Stay

16 Plein Street, 6820 Tulbagh, South Africa

#7 of 11 B&Bs and Inns in Tulbagh

Read more- opens a dialog box

Showing 1 – 75

• Reviewed: 11 February 2019

Totally comfortable and good location for the price.
    • Economy Double Room

We got completely eaten alive by mosquitoes. It’s a natural occurrence but I wish we were warned or at least had a net or a spray. Every inch of my body is raw from the bites. 200 bites and counting..

Totally comfortable and good location for the price.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2019

would not stay there again
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

That the place we stayed in had dog hair all over the place including bedding. The kitchen is not separated from the landlords kitchen, you could see and walk into their kitchen and them into yours. Was very open and no separation.

The area and that we where left alone

• Reviewed: 17 January 2019

The owner(s) was/were very friendly and helpful.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Just the mosquitoes that were a little annoying. We killed about 12 or more of them each night before bed. Slept with the fan on to keep them away, so the sleep was kinda peaceful.

The owner(s) was/were very friendly and helpful. They provided us with a range of extras. The room was very private and we liked the fact. The room was very neat and clean.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2019

Run away. It.'s bad for the price. Dirty and dangerous
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Township at 300 m. The home is not clean. Kitchen.Living room.Dining room are dirty. Dog's hair all over. The 4 dogs had attacked me and bitten me when I was to ask the ghest some informations. Be carefull with the dogs. No signaling for the dogs.a cloud of mosquitoes all evening. Go with your spray. Big Cockroaches and spiders in the room. Moisture in closets

A large bathroom.

Stayed in January 2019

• Reviewed: 17 December 2018

Very friendly and helpful host
    • Economy Double Room

Not in the best part of town, but once inside, you forget that.

Very friendly and helpful host Clean and neat Room was a comfortable size with more than enough closet space and space for your bags Mosquito spray and plug-in device provided.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2018

completely misleading advert. unsafe and disgustingly filthy.
    • Budget Double Room

RIGHT next to informal settlement (noise till 1am), told to keep car unlocked incase they want to break in as its happened before (so much for advertised secure parking) , barbed wire, prison like bars on windows, owner shaving off dogs hair on communal dining room table (disgusting!), dogs always barking. generally a waste of money. didnt feel safe or hygenic the whole stay.

the water pressure in the shower, the braai area, and thats about it!

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Very pleasant stay but owners must learn to ask guests preferences.
    • Economy Double Room

No soap or shower gel apart from handwash in the toilet. No television in the room. WiiFi code displayed but no WiFi available. The breakfast was not ok. No choice was given as to tupe of bread and the toast was hard. My fried eggs were soft where as I prefer it hard. The milk was cold whereas I prefer hot milk with my coffee. No choice between coffee or tea given.

The room was spacious and met with my expectations. The bed was comfortable and there is enough chairs in the room and ample built in cupboards. The owners are very friendly.

Great value-for-money, comfortable bed, great facilities
    • Budget Double Room

Only the area was not the best, but it is very normal for Tulbagh - an old, beautiful town full of culture.

The room was very spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The owners were friendly and accommodating. The area is not the best, but once inside, we felt safe and very much enjoyed our stay.

Pleasant and fine as a budget sleep over
    • Budget Double Room

The communal bathroom but I knew that up front. However when looking for my wife's slipper I found an empty whyskey bottle under the bed.

The room was clean and comfortable.

Nice stay
    • Budget Double Room

There was a mistake from booking.com in terms of breakfast. But we found a solution for that.

The accomodation was really nice. There is parking directly in front of our room. We enjoyed the stay and would come again.

The room smells, the carpets are dirty, the property looks...
    • Budget Double Room

The room smells, the carpets are dirty, the property looks run down. There are multiple barking dogs on the property (at least 7) and it is very close to a township which is very loud. This is a run down place.

The place was neat and clean, and good value for money
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Being locked up behind barbed fences, the location of the place is a bit dodgy. Inside some of the cubboards it lacks a bit of cleaning and maintenance

No meals included in the package, but a kitchen is available, should you want to prepare your own meals. As a backpacker facility, it is more than sufficient

The accommodation is in an old house which is roomy and...
    • Budget Double Room

The only negative might be the floors that makes a sound when you move.

The accommodation is in an old house which is roomy and comfortable. The location seems to be a bit rundown, however inside the house you feel at home and welcome. The place is in a good condition and the people are friendly. Overall a nice place to stay, would recommend it to anyone.

Book with Caution

The noise of the informal settlement across the road. The establishment should let people know about that fact before booking. The dogs on the property are noisy and bite. A sign should be put up and visible. With only one bathroom to share between 4 or 5 bedrooms, and no seperate toilet,this is a BIG negative factor.

The clean crisp linen.

I enjoyed it and would definitely go back.
    • Economy Double Room

At the guesthouse it felt like I was at home. Comfortable and friendly hosts. I had supper at 1699 and chose the bobotie. It was delicious and tasty. I would definitely recommend it. The waitron was friendly and the service was good. In general very friendly people in Tulbach

OK

The fact that it stated dont accommodate children because no extra bed is a understatement. They dont want kids there as kids make a noise, but their dogs was a bit bothersome also. If I knew that only kids bother guests and not dogs I would never have booked. Its not a 5 star and price is reasonable, but the whole communal set up and no bath facility as the taps is removed is strange. The bathroom facility is misleading on the site as there was only 1 bathroom for our 3 rooms. Fridge facility needs an upgrade for a 5 bedroom house

The Wifi is good. Nice big kitchen and braai room. The Netflix facility is very nice.

Affordable, self catering accommodation. Very small town, but rich in history.
    • Budget Double Room

Include vital information in a booklet in rooms. Will rooms be cleaned during stay, should you leave room open or is it for you to do yourself? In kitchen you have plenty of areas and things marked "Private" which makes one feel unwelcome and intruding on someone else's space. Inquired about getting tea since our room had not been supplied with any (only coffee and creamer), but no effort made to be provided during the rest of our stay. Parking can be improved as it does get crowded sometimes.

Spacious and close to main street and restaurants. Affordable. Nice to interact with other guests. Quiet and secure area.

The bed was comfortable, the area is further from central...

It would have been nice to have kitchen facilities e.g. little stove, but that wasn't a biggy.

The bed was comfortable, the area is further from central hermanus than we realised when we booked but it was actually nice as we felt like we were in a peaceful private area, which is about 15-20 mins drive from Hermanus central, and there is a new large mall which had just opened about 5 mins drive away. Really lovely area, and very friendly owner!

It was perfect although I did not take any pics.
    • Budget Double Room

The fact that I had to walk down the passage for the bathroom. I am a water drinker, day or night. So for me it was kind of a problem. But then it is a commune after all. So that was expected.

The place was neat and tidy. Nice and quiet. As much as ut is a commune but you get your privacy. I would recommend it without even thinking twice.

Will definately stay there again.
    • Budget Double Room

People very friendly - a comfortable home away from home feeling. Clean and spacious with a lovely large bathroom. Everything well maintained and even sitting out in the garden was a pleasure. The owners are lovely people.

We have no problem with Budget, but bad smells and cold showers are poor service.
    • Economy Double Room

We arrived late after a long drive. The bedroom had a bad smell, not sure if it was damp. I went to shower, and the water was ice cold, after contacting the owner he THEN put the geyser on. I had a tepid shower at midnight!! Not a drop of milk in the room, only very bad powdered milk...we couldn't drink the coffee I made.

Safe off street parking, actual home was clean and looked appealing.

I could send my friends there anytime!!!
    • Economy Double Room

On arriving, we were welcomed, our bags were carried to our room. The room my friend and I booked was a bitty too small but our host did tell us on arrival that there was a bigger room available, so we opted for that. We felt so at home. Our host told us about eating places but we chose to buy a picnic supper which we enjoyed in the garden... The next morning we had our breakfast there as well. Kind hospitality! Our host carried our bags to the car, saw us off and wished us a safe journey!! How super is that!!!!!

Great stay
    • Budget Double Room

I had no issues. Location is close to the edge of town. But it is a small town and everything is close to the edge.

Very good value for money. Room was clean. Great bed. Shared bathroom was clean. Good wifi connection.

Lovely, value for money acccomodation.

House need a better heating system. It's a tad cold in the evening. Otherwise nothing in particular which I didn't like.

Food was great and company was lovely with the pets. A nice little outdoor area which was really beautiful . Large rooms, cupboards and free wifi. Strongly reccomend if you're a student. Close to nearby attractions. Central place

Value for money - could do with a nip & tuck here and there!
    • Budget Double Room

Firstly, the owners did not come out to greet us when we arrived. My sister arrived before us, who met the owners, and when we got there, my sister showed us to our room, and gave us the run-down. My sister also explained that we could order breakfast, but we only met the owners the next morning at breakfast. We did ask late, and they did accommodate us for breakfast. The bathroom, which was shared by 8 guests, was never cleaned over the weekend. Saturday night, we ran out of toilet paper, at 12, and, according to my sister, if we needed anything, we were to call the owners. Being so late, we did not want to wake them, so fortunately, we had spare loo paper in our car, which we then left in the bathroom. We found it a bit cold in our rooms, and my suggestion is, either heat panels in the room, or an electric blanket. They have such a beautiful property, with so much potential. For instance, Saturday morning, after breakfast, I sat outside in the morning sun. Lovely table and chairs, but could not sit there, as the seat cushions had been removed, and i tried to sit on the metal strips across the chairs, but too uncomfortable, and the table, and chairs, were still wet from the dew. So I eventually sat on a low wall. (My dream is to own a B&B or guesthouse one day, and I would get up early in the morning, wipe everything dry, make it look presentable, and homely, and let guests have the opportunity to sit outside, even eat out there, or just have their coffee there. ) And the other chairs had mats drying over the back of the chairs. When we left on Sunday morning, no one came out again to greet us, Except the lovely lady that worked in the kitchen. She was very chatty, and wished us well and a safe trip home. Maybe the owners are new at this, so I feel if they can be guided to make a few small changes, I am sure they will make a lot more money. That could be a thriving business, especially at their prices.

The house and room was clean, and there was plenty of tea and coffee supplied in the rooms.

We were quite close to the town, just a 5 minute walk which...
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The toilets weren't cleaned the whole weekend. We got there on the Friday and had no toilet paper by Saturday morning. We had to replace the paper ourselves and they never filled up again. There were muddy footprints and hairs on the floor the whole weekend. The room was large - very nice, but had a dining room table shoved in the corner, and had a window with a curtain, looking into the next bedroom. It just seemed like they tried to make a quick buck for the winter festival weekend in tulbagh.

We were quite close to the town, just a 5 minute walk which was nice.

Good TV selection, big room enough for our needs.
    • Economy Double Room

The facility had one bathroom for 8 ppl to share. On the Friday afternoon there were 3 toilet rolls in the bathroom, which they never replaced - on the Saturday night I had to put my own toilet roll in the bathroom. Our bedroom was an enclosed stoep (veranda) area, which was SO cold in June. It did not have a heater or anything in it. we had to request a heater and an extra blanket, and got cardboard to cover the 6 or 8 air vents in the walls!

Good TV selection, big room enough for our needs. Place was very central to town.

Super Value in Tulbach
    • Economy Double Room

This property is excellent value for what you get (don't expect 5 star hotel rather a homely house). It is clean & comfy with welcoming hosts. We parked & walked into the town centre for dinner & to wander through the old Church Street. You must try one of the locally brewed craft beers by Buchanans (buy it at TOPS bottle store for best price). We had a wonderful meal at ? Waterbessie in the main street.

our room was an enclosed balcony!
    • Economy Double Room

our room was an enclosed balcony!! as they say, you get what you pay for. we wont be slumming it this low again. Also, we had to let ourselves in with a massive padlock on the barb-wire fenced gate so it didn't feel all that safe late at night, especially as it was right near to an informal settlement!

Very comfortable and environmentally friendly,friendliest dogs who greed you at the gate.

There is nothing to be afraid of,excellent accomodation.

We do not have breakfast at the guesthouse because we was there for a wedding ceremony,but what we see about the other guest breakfast in the house,we will definitely order our breakfast in the future.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2019

Comfy

Area

Cleanliness friendlyness

• Reviewed: 6 February 2019

Very nice relaxing and comfortable
    • Budget Double Room

The mosquitoes were bit of a hassle...lol

Everything was very nice very comfortable

• Reviewed: 30 January 2019

To much mositos.
    • Economy Double Room

To much mositos.no aircon there was no problems

Stayed in January 2019

• Reviewed: 28 December 2018

It was a cool stay

It was a cool stay

• Reviewed: 24 December 2018

An extra bathroom, or basins in the room, would be useful.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

An extra bathroom, or basins in the room, would be useful.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2018

Just right
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

One bathroom between all the rooms

Bed was huge and comfortable. Good size room, kitted out and clean

• Reviewed: 28 November 2018

very welcomeing and friendley,wil defnetley return.
    • Budget Double Room

very welcomeing and friendley,wil defnetley return. Thank you Mr botha n team.

Stayed in November 2018

• Reviewed: 29 October 2018

I was comfortable but missed television
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

No television in room. No television at all apart from Netflix to be shared by all.

The room was comfortable

will not book it again

One bathroom for everyone

Excellent accommodation
    • Budget Double Room

I absolutely loved and enjoyed my stay here! Will definitely suggest this accommodation to everyone.

Excellent value for money at this convenient budget guest house. Would definitely return.

Nothing I didn't like

Good size rooms and comfortable beds.

very nice host
    • Budget Double Room

everything creaked, mosquitoes out of control, poor location

very nice host

We stayed not at Tulbagh Stay but at Vrolikheid

Fantastic garden

Good indoor braai area

Good indoor braai area

We've enjoyed the stay totally..
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The service was excellent. Will surely recommend it to others, DEFINITELY!!!!

was excellent

TV in the rooms

the bathroom

secure parking which was important for us.Would be back again.

did not eat there

Easy access to town to show my Sister the quaint houses in Church Street.

Nothing,

We never expected to have a whole house to ourselves so were nicely spread out and comfortable.

Comfort on a budget!!! a good choice
    • Economy Double Room

update the photos on the web a bit

the bed was amazing and the wifi was adequate

We had a great time.

None, thanks.

That was a massive bed. We enjoyed the peaceful and quiet area

recommend to everybody....

satisfied with services

price worthy and will go back any given time.

Friendly comfort clean

Friendly comfort clean

Bed was clean
    • Budget Double Room

If bathroom and toilet were seperate it would be much more convenient since it is a communal bathroom

perfect

Quiet place.

location of the place

enjoyed the freedom to make yourself at home
    • Budget Double Room

The bed was hard, only received fresh towels when we booked in , bought new towels for the rest of our stay

Owners very friendly and helpful.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Bed wasn't very comfi and location was not good.

Owners very friendly and helpful.

It was ccommidating
    • Economy Double Room

They washed carpets after that it smelt funny. Kitchen wasn't client friendly.

It was ccommidating

Location very good value for our money and friendly people.
    • Budget Double Room

Location very good value for our money and friendly people.

Perfect

N/a

Friendly staff. Accommodating on late arrival

Very enjoyable

Enjoyed everything

We enjoyed the fact the owner was there but never under your feet

One bathroom .

One bathroom .......??????!!!!!

There is only one bathroom/toilet (combined) for 3 Rooms.

There is only one bathroom/toilet (combined) for 3 Rooms. The toilet and the bathroom is not separate.

Peaceful, clean and airy. Gentle management.

Nothing I can think of.

All my requests were accomodated graciously. Clean and peaceful. Nice kitchen. Good data speeds. Comfy room. Balanced.

Value for money. Would definitely go back.
    • Budget Double Room

Sharing communal bathroom.Had to plan your visit, waiting for a gap. Worth the wait, was clean.

Tranquility

Not worth the trouble to go there
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

The guesthouse is next to an informal settlement. We did not feel welcome.

not that comfortable because of wet carpets
    • Budget Double Room

carpets was washed, and still very wet

Did not complete the stay was uncomfortable and lacjed privacy

No preparedness.lack of privacy

Expected more

The unsafe area. The smell of animal in the rooms A lot of moscitos. The car outside with no cover.

The big bathroom

No fuss lovely place for a night
    • Economy Double Room

The location put me off a bit. Informal settlement is right on the door step.

The braai area + Netflix was great. No fuss book in.

We had a good stay.

Heating in the room.

the stay was great
    • Budget Double Room

the place was nice and worth every cent

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Owner extremely helpful in our problems that was not stay...
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Owner extremely helpful in our problems that was not stay related. Really weny over and above.

Showing 1 – 75

We Price Match
We Price Match
Low rates • No booking fees • Find cheaper? We'll refund the difference!