Reviews of Twelve Apostles Hotel & Spa 5 stars

Victoria Street, Camps Bay, Camps Bay, 8040 Cape Town, South Africa

#40 of 152 hotels in Cape Town

AMAZING!

Everything was perfect.

We had an amazing stay at this hotel. The staff and service were both excellent. The hotel itself is world class - the views and lounges gorgeous and we were treated to a room upgrade which was a wonderful birthday surprise - thank you Twelve Apostles - can't wait to come back. The highlight was breakfast on the sea facing patio of our room - won't forget that! Azure was also stunning with great food and had a game of scrabble in the quaint Leopard Lounge. As if the sea views weren't enough the mountain views from the conservatory were another delicious surprise. Very importantly the bathrooms were up to expectation.

The suites are very comfortable and decor is very nice.
    • Mountain Facing Room

The Saturday evening the hotel hosted a wed ding which was rather noisy. And one could hear the music all the way from our suite.

The suites are very comfortable and decor is very nice.

Excellent Hotel
    • Classic Room

Guests booking sun loungers at the pool for the whole day but not actually being there..

Staff were so friendly, hotel is in an amazing location overlooking the ocean, great restaurants within the hotel. Will be back!

A cosey, boutique old school charm with great service and amazing food
    • Mountain Facing Room

For the rate charged; the twin single beds were not good quality and rather uncomfortable. This was disappointing as the room itself was large and airy. The spa service was excellent but very noisey outside with guests shouting (there was a party). They need to instil a strict spa etiquette policy that will allow all guests to enjoy the spaz

The service of the staff and the restaurants and food were excellent.

Very poor
    • Classic Room

They told me I can bath in a dish and not use shower. The rooms were too small for the price also. I the left requested for my refund, then they told me they will refund same day, I followed up my payment for 4 days. Waisting my airline and didn’t have money to pay for the other hotel.

if you claim the be a 5 Star hotel and charge 10000 Rand for a standard room a night ... act like
    • Classic Room

Long check in. They have forgot me waiting in the leopard bar and never called me when room was ready ( 6pm room wasn’t ready ) Check out - the guy had no clue about money by check in was taken off my card and wanted to charge me the full amount again. Car have had scratches after parking ( was parked from hotel staff )

Friendly staff members.

Will be back again for my R&R
    • Classic Room

Our first room had a walled garden but we asked to change and that was better.

The beds are great and as I am Allegric to down my bed had non feathered duvet and pillows. Breakfast was as always wonderful, dinner we had one of the best sunsets ever I experienced at The 12A.

Fantastic location, friendly staff, very relaxing.
    • Classic Room

Their food really lets them down. The quality of the food simply doesn't meet the status of the hotel and the price-point at which it is offered is not matched by the culinary experience.

The location of this place is simply breathtaking. The staff are friendly and always try to go the extra mile for you.

Stunning views and lovely staff
    • Classic Room

Breakfast service was inconsistent.

The location is stunning along the coast art exceptional views. Staff is extremely friendly and interactive checking in on all aspects of the stay.

A nice treat.
    • Classic Room

Staff were often quite slow with requests e.g. we waited for over 20 minutes for our drinks at the pool and waited for over a half an hour for an iron & board which wasn't brought to the room in time for us having to leave for our dinner arrangements.

Very comfortable and luxurious rooms.

Amazing Hospitality, all the staff were soo friendly and...
    • Superior Sea Facing Room

Little far from the center but they have shuttles.

Amazing Hospitality, all the staff were soo friendly and helpful. The service was Amazing. And the room was amazing with beautiful sea view.

Lovely location by the ocean. Handy complementary shuttle bus into the Waterfront
    • Mountain Facing Room

The significantly higher accommodation rate for non South Africans. Our meal in the Cafe Grill could have been hotter. The scrambled egg on the breakfast buffet had run out.

Lovely quiet room with a mountain view. An extra section was added to the bed to make it long enough for my tall husband. Complementary use of the Spa.

Great view - but very noisy traffic on the main road directly in front of hotel.
    • Superior Sea Facing Room

Extremely noisy - Lots of traffic on the Main road directly in Front of the hotel. On Sunday Morning - it felt like every minute a loud motorcycle drives directly through our room! The receptionist who showed us the room mentioned that we can close both (double layered) windows and we should be fine. Unfortunately that was not true - and if you pay 12400 R per Night - it‘s not what you expect. Despite of the great view over the Ocean! Our recommendation: 1) Lower the Price or 2) get high quality sound-proof windows. Spa is good for Treatments but don‘t expect sauna or steamroom...

Super restaurant - great breakfast with a really nice view!

Meh
    • Classic Room

It was unfortunately not as clean as a 5 star hotel should be (our sheets had stains and the trashcans had remains in it). The food was alright (vension was perfect but lamb, starter and dessert was not worth it)

The staff were wonderful and super friendly

Great staff and location, but the hotel is looking tired for the price!
    • Classic Room

The hotel is looking tired and is in need of renovation if it wishes to retain its status as a leading hotel of the world. The competition are streets ahead in that regard. The 12 Apostles is looking very dated. The spa, one of its main attractions, is sub-standard for the price one pays per night and for treatments.

Fantastic, attentive staff, amazing views and great breakfast.

Perfect for pet lovers!
    • One Bedroom Sea Facing Suite

Our dog, unfortunately, needed to come to CPT for cancer surgery and the hotel really made an effort to make all of us, including our dog, feel welcome. They had a greeting card for him and even a doggy menu with 8 different dishes! He was provided with a comfy dog bed and food and water bowls. Besides all the comforts for our dog, we also enjoyed our stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially the cleaning and room service staff. We also had a little garden as part of our suite, which was great for our dog (who has surgery on his bladder) to go and wee in the middle of the night. The staff kept asking how he is doing. I felt very comforted.

Good stay.
    • Classic Room

The breakfast does not cater for Hindu people. We do not eat beef or pork. They need to cater for chicken or lamb. The spa got my treatment incorrect but the therapist mad up for it. She was excellent. Her name is Rose.

The customer service was excellent.

Experience magic ..... be transported into sophisticated unobtrusive tranquility and style.
    • Classic Room

Directions to the gardens were a bit hazy. Had to ask directions twice, easy once you know. Dinner on Friday evening. Ordered the steak with side orders of chips and vegetables. Plate arrived with steak and heaps of chips on the plate, plus side order of chips and veggies. Not very appetizing for a world class meal but the steak was perfect. The wine connoisseur was a pleasure.

Oh!!!! the champagne was amazing and enjoying the most beautiful large oysters and champagne for breakfast including the breathtaking view, was like being transported to heaven!!!!!!

Perfect Getaway Hotel
    • Classic Room

Fitness Centre could have been larger but served our needs.

Small, cosy hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Amazing views, comfortable rooms with a homely feel.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Beautiful views and facilities
    • Superior Sea Facing Room

The room, views, spa and staff were exceptional. Overall an amazing experience and would recommend the picnic for anyone who stays as the picnic areas are just beautiful. Thank you for the special experiences added as we were on honeymoon.

• Reviewed: 2 April 2017

If you are a woman your money is of less value than a man!
    • Classic Room

The room I was given had a view of a concrete wall. They put me in this room not knowing I was a previous patron. When my husband books under his name and being a doctor he always gets good rooms. When I booked in my own name they had no idea who I was and stuck me in a dreadful room.Apparently his money is worth more than mine.

The hotel is beautiful but they put me in a room that should not be used as a hotel room.

• Reviewed: 30 March 2017

A slightly dated hotel with exceptional service and a fantastic location
    • Classic Room

The entry price rooms are very small and need to be renovated. Given the rates, one would expect more.

The pool is a great place to relax. The views from the hotel are breathtaking. Lastly, the service levels are very high.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

A very good stay, thank you - we'll be back soon
    • Mountain Facing Room

The table on the balcony was seriously wobbly.

Excellent, attentive service, that was not obtrusive. Lovely smell of the fynbos from our balcony. Great dinner at the Azure.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Disappointing Birthday stay ....
    • Classic Room

Service in Azure Restaurant was very rushed the first evening. Also very noisy at our table due to wedding meal in the next room. Felt as though our special meal was suffering because the kitchen was looking after the wedding party though I could be wrong or simply cynical! Didn't enjoy my main course though that could be deemed as personal choice.. Our classic double room was not worth the high price......£367 per night ( inc breakfast ) We had a downstairs room with no view. Room 105 . In need of an upgrade. Headboard banged against wall . Could hear the activities of next door! Very small room. Bathroom absolutely nothing special. Turn down service was what one expects for a 5 star establishment. If you must stay here I would suggest you pay much more and get a better room. Hotel itself is just off the road and main swimming pool noisy from traffic. Rock pool and decking on the other side was much nicer. This was meant to be a belated 75 th for my husband who has been recovering from a coronary bypass but I did feel let down! Wish Id spent the money on something else . In their defence though, I have to say that Justin from F and B did his very best to make it up to us the following evening and we did indeed enjoy the 2nd night in Azure. We were given complimentary drinks and he removed my main course from the bill for the first night. So thank you Justin! Also I have to say that all the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Decent breakfast

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Spoilt from beginning to end!
    • Classic Room

Nothing other than minor staining on some bedroom materials. Only noticeable when sitting down. But it was clean.

Staff were excellent. Food was excellent. View and facilities were excellent. This is a wonderful hotel and I would absolutely recommend it. The only small complaint I would have is some of the furnishings and bed covers were looking a little tired, with some staining. But it was clean. Minor gripe. This is a great hotel and is up there with its sister hotel Asford Castle which is also a wonderful hotel.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Beautiful setting with very attentive and well trained staff
    • Classic Room

We loved this hotel! The staff and facilities were great and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay!! I wish we had stayed longer. The staff go above and beyond!

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

The spa is excellent
    • Luxury Room

Our dinner was very disappointing The Hotel is looking a bit tired and needs a revamp. Cocktails where not great, we had to send two drinks back to the bar.

The spa is excellent The location of the hotel is excellent

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Wonderful romantic stay!
    • Superior Sea Facing Room

There were small maintenance issues in the room but not that big of an issue for me to notify management.

The food was excellent and the atmosphere great.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

An awe inspiring scenic hotel, pity about the lack of attention to quest requests from staff
    • Mountain Facing Room

Staff need to be more attentive to guest requirements, they misunderstood requests on numerous occasions but when brought to their attention they went out of their way to recover . However for a top hotel, charging such exorbitant rates, this is not acceptable.

Beautiful location, stunning views and away from the crowds of Cape Town. Hilton Rush the food and beverage manager' commitment and dedication to guest service is exceptional.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

5 star hotel without 5 star service treatment
    • Classic Room

We waited in the reception area for about 5 minutes to check in, without anyone attending to us. The next couple, of a different race, walked in and received the star treatment. Seats and drinks were offered to them once they stepped into the hotel, whereby we were merely treated as an afterthought. This is appalling, coming from a 5 star hotel! There were also some errors in the room charges, some expenses were charged to our accounts by mistake. We had to call the front desk to notify them on the mistake, which they rectified before our check out. This is the first time that we had expenses charged to our accounts by mistake, having stayed in other hotels for our previous holidays. To be fair, there were staff who were really friendly and professional. But the number of times we experienced differential service treatment were enough to negate the good services received. We are truly glad that we have only booked a one-night stay at the hotel, which made us felt like second class citizens right from the start of our stay. Thanks for ruining our honeymoon trip with such horrible service!

Beautiful room

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

Wouldn't come back living on past reputation and location
    • Luxury Room

Sister hotel Oyster Box in a differnt league in terms of staff training, quality of food etc. 12 A could learn a lot ie swap the senior management around

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

One of the best hotels in Cape Town area
    • Classic Room

Dining facilities not sufficient for number of hotel guests. Consider using the event tent to extend facilities during peak season

Staff at all levels was the best experienced in my life

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

One day decompress at the Twelve Apostles
    • Mountain Facing Room

I didn't stay long enough to discover what might be better because every step of my short stay was perfectly thought out for me!

I've never stayed where there was a pillow menu! Room was super comfortable and lounging by the pool next day was the perfect recipe to decompress after a long work week.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

Best honeymoon
    • Classic Room

I just mentioned we were on our honeymoon and they filled ourroom with rose pettals and champagne. We did not expect this at all so we were very suprised. Everything was absolutely beautifull and perfect.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

1st class experience
    • Classic Room

The hotel is wonderful, and everything a guest can wish to expect is provided. The experience from check in to check out was on point and 1st class. Special mention to the Spa ad afternoon tea, these are not be be missed. Both were amazing and enjoyed by both of us. The rock pool was a perfect setting to do some sun bathing and have a cocktail.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

Impressive Service
    • Classic Room

The leopard bar has limited seating and the public has access so do remember to book. The negative thing is that you might not know your plans in advance so i saw this as inconvenient. The room can't go completely dark with shutters closed.

Loved the location Staff are very friendly and helpful Stress free place on all fronts The food is really good

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

Beautiful hotel but disappointing
    • Luxury Room

We had a room with the view over the road, and so could not sit on our patio or leave the shutters open at night. I should have asked to move but for two nights did not bother. We were not told that there was renovations happening at their Cafe restaurant or the Spa. We had to make alternate plans for dinner the first night. The service at Azure for dinner was slow, and we seemed to be looking for a waiter more times than is normal. Sometimes I think expectations can over shadow the experience which is a real pity.

The room was beautiful and spacious, and the food at Azure was excellent. The staff were attentive and always smiling. The Spa treatment was awesome.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

This hotel is not able to promise.
    • Superior Sea Facing Room

Everything went wrong. Staff wanted to please in an un-natural and pushy way. Hotel drivers were terrible, constantly throttle on and off, braking etc. On the website they promise more than they have. Concierge is not in control. This hotel wants to be a top hotel, but clearly has not understood how.as a guest you do not get a moment to relax.

Management has good intentions but is not in control to avoid failures.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Relaxing fun
    • Classic Room

It was a pity the spa was under renovation. Also, only a limited choice of meals late at night.

Bed was wonderful. The staff went out of their way to be helpful. All staff were very friendly and welcoming. The room was very comfortable.

Best Breakfast atmosphere and view
    • Classic Room

I enjoyed the tranquil environment

Impeccable

Spinach vegetables

Unforgettable
    • Classic Room

We got upgraded which was amazing and had a lovely room with a good view of the pool

Service was really fine, specially due to the manager in...
    • Luxury Room

price benefit was not good.

Service was really fine, specially due to the manager in charge.

BREAKFAST SERVICE WAS EXTREMELY SLOW

BREAKFAST SERVICE WAS EXTREMELY SLOW

The evening meals and Vslentine’s dinner were extremely...
    • Classic Room

The evening meals and Vslentine’s dinner were extremely disappointing, but the wines and the sommelier Gregory were excellenr

The location,food and attentive staff.
    • Classic Room

The location,food and attentive staff. The bedroom was particularly comfortable.

A beautiful hotel with fabulous views and the most helpful, friendly, considerate staff
    • Classic Room

The beds were extraordinarily comfortable with the finest, soft, smooth linen.

Great location and hotel
    • Superior Sea Facing Room

Quicker solution to air conditioning problem

Bed and pillows very comfortable. Lovely toiletries

not enough space around the pool areas, deckchairs are too...
    • Classic Room

not enough space around the pool areas, deckchairs are too close together

Everything was perfect.
    • Classic Room

Everything was perfect.the stuff were so nice also.always willing to help

Amazing service

Amazing service

A stay where even tCape Town's beautiful tourist destinations were not enough to lure us away.

We loved that the hotel provided exceptional service even as it created the feel of staying at your best friend's home.

Ill always stay there when im in cape town
    • Mountain Facing Room

The staff were very friendly and professional. The breakfast was amazing... the views are spectacular

Wonderful experience
    • Classic Room

Stunning views from the Leopard Bar and from the pool area. Staff were exceptional. Breakfast was delicious.

Very comfortable and staff outstanding
    • Classic Room

Room facing mountain but very little view - not really value for money in this particular room .

Amazing 😀

Service and staffs

Great stay.
    • Classic Room

Excellent staff and environment. Beautiful sunset, and great wine collection.

Breakfast was amazing.
    • Mountain Facing Room

Breakfast was amazing. Beautiful location, particularly for sundowners. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

Absolutely perfect - especially after bad fire in hills the...
    • Classic Room

Absolutely perfect - especially after bad fire in hills the previous week. Beautiful location and all staff so friendly. Didn't want to leave.

Heavrn
    • Classic Room

Just the tiles on the room floors

everything

GREAT STAY
    • Classic Room

The view! Rose petals on the bed! Options in the room for refreshment and the 24 hour Cafe!

Beautiful setting

Excellent location with lovely walking trails around the property

Trip to Cape Town

all good

Everything was great!

Amazing
    • Classic Room

The bed was extra comfy 😄

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Honeymoon dream venue
    • Classic Room

I booked this as a honeymoon gift for my son and daughter-in-law and have received glowing reports. I believe the hotel staff were amazing!

Beautiful and relaxing luxury stay
    • Luxury Room

Great bar and restaurant with amazing views!! Very friendly and accommodating staff

Amazing stay
    • Classic Room

Bed and pillows need to be softer

• Reviewed: 30 March 2017

The oysters for breakfast!
    • Classic Room

The oysters for breakfast!!

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Great location and ambiance

Pool a little small

Food at the restaurant excellent and friendly helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Extremely comfortable bed!
    • Superior Sea Facing Room

Noisy traffic from the main road. Very small reception area.

Extremely comfortable bed! Friendly staff.

A lovely venue for a special occasion - in our case a superb...
    • Classic Room

A lovely venue for a special occasion - in our case a superb Valentines dinner with wine pairing and overnight stay.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

Views
    • Luxury Room

Rude service from restaurant manager when dining. Unhelpful reception, monies taken incorrectly.

Views

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

Experience

Slow restaurant serice

Experience

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

Disappointed !!
    • Classic Room

The rooms. The reception area looks too old. The room rates are very high though.