Reviews of Victoria & Alfred Hotel 4 stars

V&A Waterfront Pierhead, Waterfront, 8001 Cape Town, South Africa

#53 of 152 hotels in Cape Town

Overall I love the location
    • Double Room with View - Loft

The heat system is not warm enough, it is noisy when the staff do cleaning in the morning, the room can hear the music playing at the Waterfront until late night. Guests are not allowed to make long distance calls and the reception was annoyed to transfer me. in the case that you need to call conference call for work, you will need to call at the reception desk.

the location is beautiful, safe and close to many activities at the Waterfront such as the shops, restaurants, museum..etc

Outstanding venue, highly recommend.
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

our room was located above the kitchen and next to the stairs, was not a huge issue but the noise did carry into our room.

Outstanding hotel, the view from our room was worth the nightly rate alone. Beautiful hotel.

6.0
    The staff were friendly
    • Superior Double Room with Piazza View

My room was not prepared. Vanity kit, etc. is not a given. I was disappointed in the quality of the room and actually, the Hotel. I will not stay there again. There is so many hotels to choose from, within the same area.

The staff were friendly

other than the experience with the breakfast and wifi , everything else was quite comfortable.
    • Double Room with View - Loft

the wifi is not really functional and the breakfast should always be inclusive on the price of acommodation. if it is not then they must take a deposit on the card to cover in case you have it, but to chase after a person in front of others is embarrassing.

Fantastic break away experience.

Nothing. It was perfect.

We booked only a day before we arrived. Best location ever. They upgraded our room. I had a little one with me and the staff were so friendly and helpful. We had the most beautiful view of the mountain and the harbour. I just sat in the window and watched the action. It was Cape Town at its best. The breakfast was also a stunner. Thank you so much. I will be back very soon.

Great hotel, great views right in the middle of all the action at the V&A Waterfront.
    • Double Room with View - Loft

Some noise of cleaning staff while doing morning room servicing

Small boutique style hotel based in the heart of historic V&A Waterfront with comfy beds and great mountain and sea views

The receptionist entered my CC number onto the system after...
    • Double Room with View - Loft

The receptionist entered my CC number onto the system after taking full payment and then had the audacity to copy the CVC number from the back of the card. This is extremely unprofessional as I was not asked if it would be OK in case of extras or not. If I had not noticed this who knows if this private information would have been sold on and how many purchases would be put through before I could contact the bank to cancel the card. To tell me sorry I didn’t mean it does not cut it.

Amazing
    • Double Room with View - Loft

everything was just perfect! Had an amazing time in CapeTown... Breakfast is great, staff is very friendly and keen to support. Really a wonderful experience.

An extremely comfortable stay.A view in a million.
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

View from the room was spectacular.Very comfortable bed.Huge shower.Staff went the extra mile,they left a birthday treat in the room which made one feel special.

Perfect location.
    • Double Room with View - Loft

We booked & paid for (as advertised) a loft room with a view . There was NO view at all . Not even a window to look out of to enjoy the great location. Very disappointed with false advertising.

The location within the waterfront. Beds comfortable with good quality linen & pillows.

Was very nice.
    • Double Room with View - Loft

That the guest needs to pay for the airport transfer. I think an hotel as big as this one can give that to their guests

Everything was very nice. I felt very welcome

Over priced
    • Superior Double Room with Piazza View

Dirty carpet. No Nespros masjien. Tv not working on all chanels. Wrong room billing. Pay ekstra for a bath that you cant use.

Big rooom. Good location. Great food.

Perfect location! Spacious room!
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

Double bed instead of King bed, which I asked by email to the hotel. Lack of communication between Booking and Hotel. Bedroom via Booking.com was a double-room but I asked for a King via email to the hotel desk.

Fantastic Hotel, Location, Service, Food what more can I say
    • Double Room with View - Loft

Nothing really, they are short of water at the moment but not causing too much of a problem, they just want people to be respectful of the situation.

I am registered disabled so had a disabled room so it may have been larger than the normal rooms I am not sure, but peeping through they all looked great. Beds comfortable, nothing too much trouble, fantastic location, parking no problem so helpful. Breakfast superb. Great price we will definitely stay there again if we go to Cape Town again.

V&A Hotel is a must if you visit Cape Town.
    • Double Room with View - Loft

There was a bit of a mixup with their advance payment system but was effectively dealt with once there.

The hotel is in the perfect location as the Wharf is the In Place for any visit to Cape Town. You can walk around the area and enjoy the restaurants and shops around the hotel. Table Mountain is the backdrop to your meal. Breakfast is great so do not miss it!! Upon arrival, the concierge arranged a tour for us to go around the main sights of the area. Lovely rooms,

Dissapointing
    • Superior Double Room with Piazza View

We had to walk across the Road to the Spa and swimming pool. We could have stayed at the Protea Hotel for less. After the Spa treatment walking to the Hotel actually made us sick. Also the Spa treatment was not that great the masseur appeared unsure and not confident at all. On Friday evening I contacted reception to ask for milk as there was not enough in our Coffee/Tea station. Never got it. On Saturday at 13H40 I asked again in person. Never got it. Eventually we left for the rugby stadium. On our return I again asked for it we only got fresh cups and milk capsules at 20H50. At he resturant for breakfast our waiter was not the friendliest after I returned 3 coffee cups that was still dirty the Saturday morning. The Sunday morning our waiter told us to hurry up because the kitchen closes in ½hour for breakfast in those exact words. Needless to say that we just order and got out of the restaurant. A suggestion Hotel should provide drinking water free of charge I had to go fetch water from main entrance.

That they made your Bacon and Eggs - it was served hot. They put rose pebbles in the hotel room.

Great hotel, well positioned with friendly staff...but get the right room
    • Double Room with View - Loft

I did not enjoy the lack of view from my room. The third floor has loft rooms with skylights and this is not mentioned when you ask for a mountain facing room

The hotel is wonderfully positioned and it is totally safe and secure to walk around day or night.

Great stay
    • Double Room with View - Loft

Great breakfast . Many many thanks for the upgrading to the Piaza room . Thanks for at the "reception "to find an excellent solution for our transport to Paarl .

Excellent location at the waterfront.
    • Superior Double Room with Piazza View

Excellent location at the waterfront. So much to see and do within walking distance. The staff were excellent and very helpful with tour suggestions, helping me send excess luggage home.

Well done
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

Not your fault but the fact we felt we couldn’t safely go out of v&a waterfront was con fronting

Staff excellent and very helpful with booking trips

Excellent location.
    • Double Room with View - Loft

Some further measures could help to reduce water usage since Cape Town is facing a drought such as instant hot water for shower as a lot of water is wasted whislt waiting for hot water.

Excellent location. The view of Table Mountain from the room was excellent and the chocolate in the evening was a nice touch.

Wont stay there again
    • Double Room with View - Loft

Not comparable to other more modern hotels at better rates

Smaal stuffy room with just a roof window. Asked for smoking room, and yet they put us in a roof room. Complimentary coffee not refilled, rooms were clean but no air and dark Size of rooms as displayed on images are way smaller in real life

Will book here again !
    • Double Room with View - Loft

Thank you for the Upgrade and the desert served in the room! Thank you for your friendliness Carol and a buffet breakfast fit for a Queen . Amazing hotel close to everything you might need.

The stay at the hotel was pleasant enough, the city itself is the big attraction.
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

Bed was not very comfortable, shower water temperature varied from scalding hot one minute to freezing cold another. This made taking a shower very unpleasant every morning. We expected a bit more for the premium price.

Location was excellent, staff was very friendly, food quality was very good

Money was stolen from our room and no conclusion results...
    • Double Room with View - Loft

The management of the whole Hotel, and the facilites are Dated to say the least

Money was stolen from our room and no conclusion results given to us, they simply did not bother to get back to us on this matter. A total mess. Ours and other guests Room keys were issued to other guest wrongfully more than once. Dont recommend it to anyone

Nice location but COCKROACHES in our room. Not what was advertised.
    • Double Room with View - Loft

There were COCKROACHES in our room on the 4th floor. We were not at ground level, we were on the freaking FOURTH floor. They were in the bathroom, under the wood floor which was coming out. The seal between the floor panels was breaking and so the cockroaches were coming out of it. We stayed only 2 nights, and I killed 7 or 8 of them. I told the receptionist who supposedly sent someone to our room to take care of it... but I observed no change. I would NOT go back to this hotel because of that. It's a shame because the venue is nice but I cannot accept to pay such a price for a room with vermine in it.

The hotel looks nice and displays a modern design. The location is prime, right on the waterfront with many venues to go out at night. It's also a safe part of town. Breakfast is incredible, with a selection of a continental buffet and warm dishes - although the staff there is not always super friendly. Specialty coffee (eg. flat whites, cappuccinos) comes at a premium, but if you're ok with filter coffee, then you're fine.

Free Parking services.
    • Double Room with View - Loft

Whilst I booked for pick up transport from the airport by the hotel, the latter never sent the said transport to pick me up in spite of sending a confirmation mail to me about transport arrangements to that effect. After waiting for two hours at the airport and after I manage to get the hotel staff over the phone, they then sent a taxi to pick me up.

Free Parking services.

Average
    • Double Room with View - Loft

The room was not pretty in the least! We knew we were getting a loft room but the blinds did not open and the remote to open the window only opened after some continuous effort

Excellent location, comfortable bed and overall room.
    • Double Room with View - Loft

Poor shower facilities. Drain at bottom of shower was blocked and created a pool of water at your feet while showering. Also a bad smell coming out of the shower drain :-(

Excellent location, comfortable bed and overall room.

Perfect location, great staff
    • Double Room with View - Loft

The staff is very helpful, always ready to answer questions and solve any problem. They put a champgne and flowers in our room to celebrate our weeding aniversary (Narciso and Samiha). This was very, very kind!! Thanks!!

We go the the V&A once a year since it opened way back.
    • Superior Double Room with Piazza View

bed lamp was not working, with n dangerous cut on connection wire... noisy people in foyer.

We go the the V&A once a year since it opened way back. Location obviously the best in town. Mattress and pillows perfect. Slept very well as usual. Just one problem. One of the bed lamps did not work. My husband found the problem. A very dangerous fault on the wire. It was late so we only reported it the morning. Some guests was having a "party in the "foyer", was very noisy. Room service very good and quick. Breakfast was good. Waited 20 minutes for my cuppuchino. for the rest it was a very nice stay!

Romantic sexy setting
    • Double Room with View - Loft

The window in my room. They were rattling the whole night.

The property was nice. The only problem was the window in my room that did not seem to close properly. Had to call reception at 02h00 to fix it. Overall lovely place

Great location !!!
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

Perfect location at the Waterfront. We enjoyed everything, especially the service. Engaged team, remembering nice guy Junior. Will definitely come back... Thanks!

I will recommend to stay here even if it cost more then other hotels.
    • Superior Double Room with Piazza View

Everything is absolutely amazing.

Location, parking, housekeeping leave chocolate on your pillow every day and small bottle of water on your desk, it’s a small thing but it’s very helpful and nice.

A very comfortable stay in a clean, well appointed room in a perfect location - highly recommended
    • Superior Double Room with Piazza View

Service at breakfast was a little inefficient at times but worth the wait

Perfect location for exploring The Waterfront - spacious rooms with comfortable beds. Tasty cooked breakfast to order with good choice of fresh fruits, pastries etc. Use of the sun loungers and pool area in sister hotel opposite was a plus for a restful afternoon.

A nice property
    • Double Room with View - Loft

Nothing really. It was quite nice. Of course, there is the water shortage problem facing Cape Town, but putting that to one side it was a nice night's stay.

A nice hotel right in the "action centre" on the wharf. Clean and comfortable.

I liked the way the General Manager ;
    • Double Room with View - Loft

The Duty Manager that was in charge on Friday evening. Bad....

I liked the way the General Manager ; Mr. Jasen; resolved my problem. That was excellent Sir. Keep it up..

As always - it was great!
    • Double Room with View - Loft

The location is perfect and the reception is always professional and efficient. The rooms are always clean and meets expectations. We are never disappointed when visiting the V&A and will continue to come back.

5.5
    Serous safety issue by hotel internal people
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

Caution: Serious safety issue in this hotel. During My breakfast time My luggage was tempered And they took part of My money. Same thing happened to My colleague,usd 200 was missing out of usd 800. Definitely this was by hotel internal people. This is the first bad encounter During My 20 years traveling around the world.

It was just perfection in every way
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

The breakfast was way beyond anything I've ever had. It was sublime. The variety of things on offer and the quality of the ingredients was first class. I don't believe you could find a better breakfast anywhere.

The V&A is not a very large hotel but the location is fabulous.
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

The breakfast buffet is not as extensive as many other hotels. An omelet station and hot plate stations would be a welcome improvement. The wait staff is very busy and sometimes cannot be found to refill coffee and tea as quickly as desired.

It has absolutely the best view of the waterfront in Cape Town. To eat breakfast while seals (and even dolphins!) are passing by just feet away from your outdoor table with the view of table mountain in the distance is an experience that will remain in your memory forever.

This must be the best location to stay in Cape Town, and you never tire of the view.
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

It is on the expensive side but then again you pay for the location and views. The room decor was a bit dated but you can live with that given everything else.

The situation was central to everything and the views across the harbour to Table Mountain were superb. Excellent restaurant both for breakfasts and dinner. Lovely staff, everyone very helpful and courteous.

perfectly located to take in the beauty of the city plus the interesting shopping opportunities
    • Superior Double Room with Piazza View

room access card had to be reactivated twice in 2 days! found the room décor quite strange with a big 4 seater table placed next to 2 armchairs in front of the window.

the location is really stunning and convenient. the breakfast is quite sublime. staff very helpful and friendly.

Position great, Hotel average
    • Double Room with View - Loft

Sloping roof in room took up space which made it easy to bump into!

Hotel position at V and A harbour very convenient to waterfront shops and restaurants.

good location
    • Double Room with View - Loft

no one warned or informed us we could not use the bath before we arrived due to water restrictions. The plug was removed and that was the end of it.Security is non existend...anybody can use the stairs and have access to the rooms.carpets in the room is dirty and old.

breakfast was fantastic

Enjoyable
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

Consistency..some days bed turned down and chocolates left.. others this wasn't done. Soap not replaced. And this was in a superior double room!!

The view

Large comfortable room with harbour and mountain view.
    • Superior Double Room with Piazza View

Was assured that my twin beds would be changed for a double but this never happened. Theft of cash from my bag in room.

Large comfortable room with harbour and mountain view. Breakfast was great.

Nothing wrong. Just not the same value for money as other hotels in the area.
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

Compared to other hotels in the same area at the same or a lower price, this was very bad value for money. The rooms are quite old, TV was not working properly. Vacuumcleaner was standing around in the isle.

Breakfast was amazing!
    • Double Room with View - Loft

Breakfast was amazing! Location was perfect. Staff were also amazing - particularly Jason who upgraded us from a Loft room with the aircon not working to a 1st floor cooled room. The response from the reception staff when we reported the aircon not working was fast, the maintenance man was there within 15 mins and when he couldn't fix it, Jason himself came up to our room to inform us of the room change and also to personally take our luggage to the new room.

Comfortable room in a safe neighborhood on the V&A Waterfront. However, the room was very expensive.
    • Double Room with View - Loft

The food was ok, but not spectacular. The servers were under par for the level of hotel. The staff at the restaurant often bickered with each other in front of the guests. Service was below standard for such a hotel. Second cup of coffee had to be requested even though my cup was empty for 15 minutes. One day, I had to wait for over 30 minutes for eggs at breakfast.

The location is excellent. The Front Desk Manager, Jason, was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is 4 star, but charged a fortune to stay there (high season). If you go, make sure it's low season...

Waterfront getaway
    • Double Room with View - Loft

Bathroom needed maintenance lose tile and towel rail. Also needed better ventilation in bathroom. For price should expect more.

Friendly well located hotel.

Location is excellent.
    • Superior Double Room with Piazza View

Flat bed sheet did not work well and kept on exposing the mattress....highly itritating. Restaurant staff inattentive- no basics like salt and pepper on tables, and requested drinks arrived well after the meal had been served.

Location is excellent.

Spectacular spot in a great city
    • Double Room with View - Loft

Booked this at the last minute,got a great rate. The location is perfect. The waterfront vibe is great. Shops,restaurants all top class and the city centre not far away. The view of table mountain and marina was suburb. Checkin was the quickest I have ever had. All staff great. They make a great mojhito too Loved it

Terrific Waterfront Hotel in Capetown

Liked everything!

Charming Hotel on the Waterfront! Beautiful views with a great restaurant & staff. Close to fantastic shopping, live music and wonderful cafes!! The friendly GM - warmly greeted us!! I highly recommend the Victoria & Alfred Hotel!!

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Good start to discover Capetown.
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

Wifi did not work with my Iphone. iPad was fine.

Very friendly staff, perfect tourist position close to city etc. Beautiful rooms – not noisy with harbour and mountain view. Did not try breakfast – used small Café which was perfect.

Too short.
    • Superior Double Room with Piazza View

The staff was extremely helpful, the room was extremely comfortable and surprisingly quiet considering it overlooked the V & A Waterfront, and the breakfast was wonderful.

Perfection for a special occasion.
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

Wi-Fi erratic especially as we were expecting various Skype calls.

Location, mountain & harbour views great. Quiet & peaceful when we wanted it to be. Room very comfortable. Breakfast superb - amazing variety. Very spoilt for 70th Birthday. Spa a real treat.

Lively, vibrant, very friendly and comfortable!
    • Superior Double Room with Piazza View

Not the most comfortable mattresses.

A brilliant location, if you like the hubub of a major tourist destination. Vibrant, with wonderful quayside drinks, dining, and shopping. Not a place for peace and quiet! Very friendly and helpful staff.

We loved sitting having breakfast whilst looking at that incredible view of Table Mountain!!
    • Superior Double Room with Piazza View

Excellent breakfast with the best views, all the staff were attentive and friendly and we found the convenience of being in the Waterfront invaluable. The beds were comfortable and very clean , the bathroom was very clean and we had an enjoyable stay and would recommend it to friends. We would definitely stay here again !! Even though we overlooked the square we never heard any noise from outside.

Great location and breakfast, but loft rooms are ready for refurbishment
    • Double Room with View - Loft

We had a loft room and if you turned the bathroom lights on in the night it became very bright in the bedroom, thanks to two large frosted glass panels - not great if one of you can't sleep as it wakes the other person up too! The bedroom furnishings were dated compared the rest of the hotel.

Great location and an excellent breakfast buffet that is beautifully presented.

Great apart from being told to leave my room a day early!
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

being told to get out of my room a day early before midday when I had paid for an extra day as I had a late flight. I packed and moved out of my room and I was not offered a refund. I was told to take it up with Bookings.com which I have not done as yet. I would be grateful if you could look into this. Craig

Location, view across harbour, style of room and pool area. Staff were also very good

ok
    • Double Room with View - Loft

The hotel didn't exceed my expectation. It was just "ok" and I won't be recommending it to anyone. The hotel does not have any local news channel eg. ENCA or SABC news channel but has international ones which is weird. You don't cater for locals so I won't be coming back

I only liked that it was closer to the mall,harbour and restaurants I guess that's what we paid for more than the hotel itself.

Excellent location and very comfortable
    • Double Room with View - Loft

The breakfast is expensive but there are good alternative breakfast spots very near the hotel. The staff are friendly but the chambermaids are overly keen to get the room cleaned early - we did not put a do not disturb sign on the room and they were knocking on the door around 08:30 even the day we were due to check out

Very comfortable room and excellent bathroom -great views of Cape Town -very well situated hotel

Convenient pleasant unexceptional hotel on VA waterfront
    • Double Room with View - Loft

The room was a bit spartan and without any charm. Plain white walls and one nonedescript print on the wall. Expected a bit more for the price. The Cape Grace by comparison is quite lovely but about three times the price.

Very convenient location. Right in the heart of the VA waterfront. Staff were very helpful and courteous. Loved having breakfast on the waterfront. Good wifi. Quiet room.

The location was ideal as I was travelling alone as a woman...
    • Double Room with View - Loft

I had a very positive experience.

The location was ideal as I was travelling alone as a woman and I felt safe walking around the area at night. The staff were friendly and the dinners and breakfasts were very good. The variety of options at breakfast was impressive. I would definitely go back!

Lovely hotel, fab location, mostly great staff.
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

Didn't appreciate being told 'the chef was too busy to read the packet' when I asked if the sausages had wheat/gluten or dairy in them. Or being told 'just leave it on your plate if you're not sure' despite me emailing in advance to tell them I have food intolerances!

Amazing views from mountain/harbour rooms. Lovely bathroom, seperate toilet. Good WiFi. Ideal location, lots of restaurants and shops nearby.

It was ok but not great value for money.
    • Double Room with View - Loft

Furniture was old and outdated and the room ok but not great value for money. Think they charge so much for the location and it felt like 4 start hotel not 5 star.

The bed was really comfortable. The location excellent.

Comfortable hotel in a superb location.
    • Double Room with View - Loft

Extractor fan in the bathroom ran continuously, surely a timer connected to light switch could be fitted so switches off say 10 minutes after the lights turned off? Restaurant waiting staff a little tardy at times.

Large comfortable room, well appointed with good wi fi. Friendly reception staff and thanks to Jason for sorting out a room later in the day after we checked out where we could change before we left for the airport for a overnight flight to Europe.

This was our second visit to the hotel. It was in a good location for an evening business meeting
    • Superior Double Room with Piazza View

Perhaps the room could have been slightly larger however the hotel provided all the necessary comforts one would expect at the price.

Room was clean and comfortable. We needed an extra night but the hotel was fully booked. The staff was helpful in booking us into their sister hotel - The Victoria - and arranged to have our bags sent over. We were most impressed with The Victoria Hotel and would probably stay there in preference on our next visit.

Its location is fantastic if you want to be in the heart of...
    • Double Room with View - Loft

The wifi was a bit spotty I was in the loft rooms, which felt a bit dated and closed off, would probaly try stay in one of the other rooms for better views if i was to stay there again.

Its location is fantastic if you want to be in the heart of whats going on at the V and A waterfront, which is the main shopping area. The Staff are also very helpful, friendly and eager to assist, which is always great.

This hotel needs to up it's game, rooms are a tourist trap.
    • Superior Double Room with Mountain and Harbour View

Felt like a 3-star hotel. Where do I start... Room door was hard to open/close. 2 Single beds in my room instead of the quoted king bed. Beds were uncomfortable. Thermostat made a intermittent noise. Shower goes from scoulding to freezing during whole shower. For the price I'd at least expect a coffee machine in the room - nope, instant coffee. Not worth the money at all and would never be back.

Staff were attentive and helpful. Breakfast is great!

BAD
    • Double Room with View - Loft

Building materials in room upon arrival Blinds didn't work so maintenance had to come to room 11 pm and help me take them down. Overall was the service unfriendly. Breakfast staff was talking over guests heads with each other and was throwing your coffee and eggs on the table without even looking or speaking to you. Will never stay there again!

Parking service

Great experience and we'd definitely stay again
    • Double Room with View - Loft

One of the best breakfast offerings we've seen. This is an ideally located hotel for the V&A waterfront with a huge choice of restaurants in the area for other meals and perfect for waterfront activities

Fabulous. Love the V&A
    • Superior Double Room with Piazza View

Just love the V&A. We've stayed there before. Love the location and the Waterfront/Table Mountain view. Great friendly service. Lovely breakfast. Will always stay there if we go to Cape Town.

Not impressive. Should have stayed in other hotel.
    • Double Room with View - Loft

No water in one morning, we were told to go across the street to another hotel when we woke up. Tiles fell down and broke to floor from the wall covering the bath tub one night. Amenities were really lacking. The window in loft room is very very small so expect no views.

The breakfast and the restaurant was nice. Warm ambiance, very good view of the boats.