Reviews of Wilderness Beach Hotel

N2 National Garden Route Highway, Wilderness Waterfront, 6560 – Wilderness,, 6560 Wilderness, South Africa

#16 of 17 hotels in Wilderness

6.0

5.7

5.7

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

The Hotel is situated close to the N2, its very good for a...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The bathrooms are a bit dated and need to be re vamped, all in all nothing too bad

The Hotel is situated close to the N2, its very good for a stay over while travelling

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

Absolutely wonderful and food very good. Wonderful staff as well.

Every thing was excellent

The staff are very friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much for them.we checked out very early in the morning and the chef prepared padkos we us

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Bad

Nothing worst ever

Nothing after I've been told that I paid too little , meanwhile the staff member capture incorrect amounts and puts the rest in their own pockets.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Our room was only clean on saturday 14h30.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Our room was only clean on saturday 14h30. There was a power breakage on saturday evening untill we left on Sunday. Although they try to serve breakfast everything was cold and oily.

Dreadful.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

*Shocking Reception personnel. Nothing right from greet to attendance to plain ignoring. We were not the only ones. Group of 12 Touring Englismen left. *Accommo booked AND confirmed: DOWNSTAIRS. We were told we booked upstairs.Miserable faces and difficult process. *Curtains off the rail. *One tiny soap for 2. *Light not working in bathroom.pitch dark process. *Seems many including your Reception were aware of the faulty lift. No notice on luft to the effect. WE GOT STUCK IN IT!!! *Food dreadful. Greasy. *No fresh fruit other than bananas. * Toaster (one and only) broken. * Doors in passage wirh holes. * Overall walls, doors grimy, rusted and in need of paint and repair.

The beds. Crispy clean and comfortable.

I'm not too impressed but you can make up by giving me one night's free accom.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The bedroom was not cleaned properly. The tiled floors were cold. I asked the kitchen staff to keep my insulin in the fridge and when I came to collect it....it could not be found. The receptionist called the day staff to ask where they had put it but they we all on voicemail. My health was compromised because I could not inject insulin. The receptionist was not apologetic in any way. I attended a Convention at the Wilderness Hotel during the period of my stay and on returning to the WB Hotel at about 23h30 on Friday night I found the side doors wide open. When I informed the receptionist, he said that it is the duty of the Maintenance Manager to ensure that the Hotel is locked at night. He then proceeded to lock it. If I had not seen it was open and informed the receptionist, all the guests' safety would have been at risk.

The bed and linen were good. The breakfast was good except that I would have preferred fresh fruit salad instead of canned fruit.

Disappointed
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

No bar facilities. No information given as to where dining room was or what WiFi code is. We got there and staff was unorganized and some rooms were not ready yet(16h00). Our second day returning from our excursions once again room was not ready at 16h00. This hotel is for the ones that just want to ruff it.

View was good.

You will never in your life see me there again........
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Room service was poor. When they cleaned the room, you have to go ask for towels etc. Toilet water of the next room flushed into our room. Restaurant food is not eatable. Building doesn't look like photos on advert, building looks like something out of the past, also half painted " seems money is a problem there. Base of beds was broken in half, middle part is laying on the ground. TV picture is very bad, agh I CAN GO ON FOR DAYS!!!!

Disappointing remote rundown motel with unhelpful staff
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Broken tiles, locked door to the pool and back entrance, no wifi outside reception area and even then patchy, 3km from nearest restaurant, staff very unhelpful and I knowledgeable.

Good beach views from the park beside the hotel

I read some of the reviews and was a bit skeptic when I...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I read some of the reviews and was a bit skeptic when I arrived. Everything was just perfect, the room was clean, new towels , nice amenities. The view was awesome. Breakfast was a buffet, beautiful set out and more than enough. Staff was friendly and helpful. Yes there is still work to be done on some parts of the hotel but you can see the effort they have put in!

Terrible
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

One room was not ready for check in -we had to wait until after 17h00. No Wifi in rooms. Some websites had photos of the next door very nice hotel instead of this one creating a false expectation. General maintanance extremely poor. No ventilation in bathrooms. Some balcony doors does not have locks and cannot close. Restaurant : several of the plates, cups and serviettes we got were dirty and had old food on it. Toasters: broken units were on tables, not proper paddles on it, only sharp metal pieces sticking out. Dodgy electrical connections in hallways. Non existent security. Room door locks way not always opening. Carpets not properly cleaned. Bathroom taps- some broken and handles fall off. Clearly no policy on noise after 11h00.

Lesson learned: book early for Christmas and New Year Period to obtain decent accom. or stay home
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Old and tatty building, furniture, fittings etc. Curtains dirty, some hanging loose halfway across the rail. Paint chipping from walls, holes in the walls, lift not working, etc etc etc. Was told rooms had safes, mine didn't. Housekeeping skimping on re-stocking room daily with toilet paper, tea etc, had to ask regularly for same. Owner / Manager shouting at cleaning staff in the passages in front of Guests. Strange that during the water crisis this Hotel didn't ask their Guests to save water or to use towels for more than one day. Towels would be taken away every day for washing. They would rather leave you without towels than to leave you with unwashed towels for one day! Why remove the towels if you can't replace it with a full set? At one point brought in brand new towels, still had labels and tags on - IN THIS INSTANT I WOULD HAVE APPRECIATED A CLEAN TOWEL THANK YOU ! NEW DOESN'T MEAN CLEAN !!! Some Guests bringing cases of beer into hotel !!?? and drinking in the passages and being noisy till the early hours of the morning. Apart from the noise this did not make me feel safe in my room without any security chain/mechanism on the door as you would find in any other hotel !!! Owners should be embarrassed at what they offer - they clearly have no respect for their Guests. There seem to be insufficient accommodation available in the Cape Coastal area during the peak holiday period over December/January and as Guests are desperate to get away during that period they settle for the only accommodation they can find, in my instance based upon the area the Hotel is located in , just to be horrified !! Can't belief this type of accommodation offering is tolerated in an area like Wilderness. This is a disgrace, a bit like like kids playing hotel, hotel ......... Bookings.com SHOULD NOT represent a Hotel like this on their website. Although I don't use Booking .

The view from my room. The staff is friendly and do what they can what seems to be under difficult circumstances.

Not of good hotel standard
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Wifi was only in a secluded section where kids were laying around, very old school furniture, picture quality on tv was bad,ph four days to this hotel and there reservations team was never available, balcony door cpuld not lock, towels were never replaced and you had to continuously walk to get new towels

It was situated close to tge beach

Below average
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Staff forgot to replace towels and loo paper. Dinner took so long we left without eating. No vegetarian options on the menu. Very poor selection of Breakfast cereals. No plain yoghurt. Fake juice.

views of africa..
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

its a bit outdated but the views of the mountain and sea made up for that.

views we absolutely amazing. staff very friendly and breakfast was free we enjoyed our stay and access to the beach is a stones throw away and also if you looking to go into bigger towns its like a 15 min drive .

Disaster and very unhappy
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We booked rooms with a sea view and stayed in run down rooms facing the pool. We checked out one day earlier due to an emergency and I am still trying to get a refund. The Manager was supposed to call me back 4 times and to date has not phoned once. Would recommend you remove them from your booking list as the places I have booked through Booking.com, hace all been excellent and top class. This place is a disaster. Perhaps you can assist me in getting my refund back

Nothing. Bad service and old dirty place

Disappointed
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

False advertising makes you believe that you book great value and quality, however, upon arrival, the disappointment is overwhelming. The photographs advertised resembles nothing of what you find. The hotel lacks major maintenance, the safety and health hazards should be seen to. Light shades are rusted, doors and door frames are chipped out, carpets are dirty. We had no warm water. We understand the explanation as to the capacity of warm water, but we also paid our fees to stay there. The cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired and our room was only serviced after the second night. We only stayed for 2 of the 5 nights that we booked. The hotel caters for the Muslim culture and religion. This we respect, but it was not mentioned anywhere when booking. The bar and games room is closed down and nok alcohol is served. The restaurant menu is limited. The owner approached our complaints with sincerity and we hope to find this once fine establishment as a fantastic place again in the future. At this point in time we do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Unfortunately, there is nothing to write here.

Great...I would return.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

No bar facilities...I understand it's owned by Muslims but they don't have to indulge...it should be the guest's choice.

Room was comfortable and neat. Food was exceptionally good.

Wilderness beaxh hotel stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Bathrooms was a bit small.

Nicely situated ...fair travel distance between George and Knysna. Room service was excellent. Swimming pool facility ...walking distance to beach.

Stay at wildbeach
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Can generate much more revenue if the place is upgraded. Lots is small things can be done. This will be a start to giving the facility more smartness I.e. gardens, decor. Give the opportunity to enhance the place. It's almost a blank canvas at present

Centrally located and quiet

So when i booked my stay at on booking.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

So when i booked my stay at on booking.com it advertised all amazing facilities like a cocktail bar, pub where you could order drinks, on arrival i asked could we be directed to the pub i was told that the hotel is Halaal. My question is why advertise all these facilities if it is not true. If i had know that the hotel was Halaal i would have booked elsewhere.

Disappointed - web pics outdated
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Such a pity it has been allowed to get run down. The pics on the site are definitely from years past and nothing like today. Needs lots of maintenance. Also way overpriced and should be in the region of R400 to R500 a night max. Not recommended and shouldn't be on booking.com. below standard to what is on offer.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing! It was terrible! We stayed there 4 years ago and it was stunning then. Now it is run down, smells mouldy and we had a cocrotch in our room, toilet seat was cracked! Bad!

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

This is recommendation to the owners of the hotel.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

This is recommendation to the owners of the hotel. This hotel is missing any fire safety and in a case of fire situation many people will be harmed.The heavy smell of cigarettes in the rooms proves that the smoking is not prohibited inside. The fire detectors are not showing any sign to be operational. and further the fire escape diagram on the door is not showing the current position of the room.The personal security of the guest is ZERO. The doors are not lockable inside and anyone can enter from outside.. The hotel is very old and needs urgent renovation to meet any kind of standards for human occupancy.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

Dream location
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

privacy could perhaps be looked at as decks are communal (not sectioned off)

The location and view is absolutely phenomenal, friendly and welcoming hostess, comfortable and well-appointed

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Generally a good place to be at
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The place was good, excellent food, though every morning of our 7days stay, there was always shortage of plates, cups, cutlery etc in the restaurant The throws on the beds are very old and no longer suitable for use, they actually lower the room standard

Food was very excellent, restaurant up market!

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Great Service and Experience
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Towels was very late one evening, we went to the laundry to fetch them. Fire door was locked with a chain and padlock one morning when it rained.

Breakfast was fabulous......Staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. Aircon was on when we arrived, out of warm car this was very welcome. Hotel although old is excellent value for money. The parachute launching pad in front of the hotel was also a new experience to watch. Will definitely use this hotel again....

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

The wilderness beach hotel needs an apgrade
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was not fresh everyday. The toilets in the games area was not working for yhe duration of our stay. The hotel charged my 10 year old R65 a day for a bowl of cereal or 1 slice of toast.

The rooms were adequate. The staff was friendly

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Wrong choose of stay!!!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

They are understaffed big time. The 4th floor need a urgent revamp. The elevator only works sometimes. People have to multitask(cleaners work in the kitchen due to understaffing). bathrooms are outdated and the handles of the taps are all loose. cutlery is of the cheapest quality. No real Choose in breakfast. Menu does not cater for the westerner. This Place should be booked under "Preferably for Muslims".

The View!

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

A story of happiness and disappointment.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Old times TVs and channels not all accessible. Mattresses saggy. Breakfast same food every day. Place not convincingly clean though housekeeping is doing its best. Generally furniture old and not appealing affecting the aesthetics and ambience. Requires a good renovation, love and care.

The cleaning staff was very friendly and managementpersonnel willing to help.

Not Recommended!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Arrived to check in at 14h00 as per the booking. The rooms were only ready by 16h00. Air conditioner in one room did not work for 50% of the time. This room also smelled of smoke and made everything in it smell of smoke. The cleaning staff did not have a key for one of the rooms. The first day this room was only cleaned when we arrived back at the hotel at 15h00. We had to leave the key with reception everyday to have this room cleaned. There are no bar fridges in the rooms. The television signal is poor. The building is old and desperately need to be revamped. Breakfasts were not great.

The location is brilliant. The cleaning staff and restaurant staff do their best.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Not enjoyable. Too Many irritating factors. Bad service. Will not return or recommend.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Rooms need small fridge. Could not partake of breakfast in dining room during our entire stay. Bad Dining room setup, too few staff, food quantity totally inadequate to cater for amount of guests. Setup inadequate. Beds way past replacement date. Should be replaced and rotated regularly. Constant lack of towels when taken from rooms. Not brought back. Lack of toilet paper. Had to ask nearly every day. TV broken most days. Lift broken twice. We were on 4 th floor. Husband bad hips. Could not leave room. Very noisy hotel. Totally under staffed in all sectors. Badly managed.

Had to complain to owner Mohammed to get anything to eat for breakfast. Toast and croissants brought to room x 2 was okay.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

great location but sadly nothing else
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed was so hard. The carpets need a shampoo for the very least. It looks like same carpet of 28 years ago when we honeymooned there when it used to be the Holiday Inn. The bedroom cupboard supposed to be sliding. Damaged my nail trying to move it. The are on a beautiful location but it needs a total revamp. Thank heavens it was only one night

Disaster
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Promised me sea view room but manager kept on promising and never came forward. TV in room out of order. Shower was difficult to adjust. The whole hotel drab and dirty. Paid far too much for room. Did not even go for breakfast because there was far too many people. Sorry that I booked through bookings.com because it would be impossible to get any money back.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

Worst hotel experience ever!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Absolutely everything about the hotel! - hotel is old & outdated - staff are unprofessional & need training - too little staff - food is terrible - rooms are dirty - service is shocking

Close proximity to the beach.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

Comfortable but you get what you paid for.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The restaurant didn't serve any dessert, the room was a rather far way from the reception and after a six hour odd drive that was a bit of a hassle. Certain areas in hotel smelt badly like smoke. Certain doors didn't work only on door to the outside . This place is brilliant and has a lot of potential but somehow that has been lost over the past few years

The room had a fully functional aircon which was perfect. The rooms was clean and comfortable. Reception staff is friendly and welcoming. Room had a little stoep which walked out onto a view.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

The property was falsely advertised with all these great...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The property was falsely advertised with all these great facilities, but when we got there, there were no facilities besides a green pool. The hotel is Halaal which is not stated anywhere on Bookings.com. There was no pool bar. The hotel looks as though it is falling apart. There were holes in the roof etc. There was a broken glass outside our apartment from the Monday until the Friday. The menu was outdated so we were charged more after ordering. Terrible place, definitely not worth R900 /night and definitely not a 3 star as advertised.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

Ok but odd
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I found it odd that it was not promoted as Halal last time I stayed it was not. Also that there was no proper dinner menu and this was not advertisedThe price was also increase whilst I was booking

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

We stayed here 33 years ago for our honeymoon - shocked to see how the place deteriorated !!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

this facility needs serious attention, care, upgrading - not up to hotel standard - from housekeeping to building maintenance. we stayed in a much better self catering unit the week before.

only the location was good

No dinner

No dinner

I would spend more time next time we dd have great time

Every thing was excellent

Yes their breakfast was top range

Lovely
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Not that clean and not maintained

Satisfactory
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

It was a bit dated. Could do with a maintenance upgrade.

Bed was clean and comfortable.

Didn't enjoy it we left a day earlier
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There was no bar when we arrived our room wasn't ready. The smell at reception is un acceptable

Didn't like the breakfast.

Location was good but hotel was not as shown on the website. Rooms need to be renovated.

Facilities

Pleasant stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We didn't realize that it was a Halal Hotel so no bar facilities.

The breakfasts were excellent

Moments of reflections

No complains

Quiet and safe

Everything.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Everything. No DSTV for kids. Will never go there again. Breakfast was a joke. Rooms untidy

Hotel in need of tlc. Rather tired and run-down.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Mouldy-smelling room. squeeky bed. No breakfast menu variation. No bacon with breakfast. No wi-fi in rooms. Cracked window.

helpful staff

You get what you pay for.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Everything. But if you looking to turn a blind eye just for a place to sleep it's fine.

Will return.

Parking arrangements.

Breakfast was awesome. Very friendly staff.

I would not go back.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Staff were rude and disinterested. Items were stolen from outside our room.

The position is great.

There is 150 stairs for you to get down onto the beach
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There is 150 stairs for you to get down onto the beach so we just drove to the next location

Not pleaSant
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel generally run down. Hotel smells bad. Lift doesn’t work properly - not meeting with floor properly when opening. Bathrooms old

Fair
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

TV, Time of room cleaning. Leaking of toilet, didn't fix it.

Breakfast was very good Sea view Aircon

Maybe
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Still waiting on my amended invoice not impressed

Breakfast excellent

Bad experience
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Condition of hotel is in a poor state and didn't cater for non Halal guests.

Lovely holiday

Location. Staff

The location is perfect
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel is dirty and unkept. It requires proper maintenance

The location is perfect

More vegetarian options for breakfast would be nice

More vegetarian options for breakfast would be nice

Comfortable

Staff meeting 😐

Views p

Needs allot of maintenance
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel lacks maintenance,it has allot of potential but it's not maintained.

That it's near to the beach

Fair
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

No dstv. Bath and shower in one

Rooms

I won't return.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel very run down and dirty, broken windows, garden unkempt. Apparently being refurbished. Shouldn't accept guests under these conditions.

Location and parking is great
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Mould smell, alcohol on premises and stuffiness in the room

Location and parking is great

Friendly service

All was good

Friendly service

Rooms a very neat and well maintained but the building needs a bit of a make over
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel corridors needs an upgrade it looks very creepy, the breakfast was not appetizing.

I will give it a miss next time.

view from room

Low rate = low quality

We had a lovely stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The building needed some maintenance.

The breakfast was very, very nice. Good value for money over all.

Location and view

Facilities Phone is not working

Location and view

Stay was disappointing as I've stayed here a couple of years ago. Hotel is overpriced
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel is derelict and not revamped as per website Definitely not worth staying here

Our stay was pleasant and we appreciated the hospitality of the staff.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Overall condition of the hotel.The pricing of booking.com charged per night was R200 more than what the hotel charged per night.l

Meals were good.

decent
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

eggs were amazing , and supper was devine, and beds were awesome

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Run down old hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

hotel is run down and looking in bad shape. Most of the room service menu wasn't available.

Loved the views.