St. Anne's Park & Rose Gardens
Once the property of Arthur Guinness of brewery fame, St. Anne's has been a public park in the care of Dublin Corporation since 1949. Traces of its original landscaping can be still be seen, including the great shelter belts of evergreen oaks. The park is intensively used by the public through its 35 playing pitches, 18 hard-surfaced tennis courts, and a par-3 golf course. Woodland paths add to the charm of the park as does a sunken garden constructed in the early 1970s. In 1975, St. Anne's Rose Garden was opened to the public. In 1980 it was given a Civic Award by Bord Failte and the Irish Town Planning Institute and since 1981 it has been a centre for International Rose Trials. Over one hundred numbered and catalogued varieties of floribunda and hybrid tea roses are arranged in an oval area, with separate areas for old shrub roses, miniatures and international rose trials. Near the eastern entrance is the creamy-pink rose "Souvenir de Saint Anne's", bred in the garden.