Reviews of The Old No. 77 Hotel & Chandlery 4 stars

535 Tchoupitoulas Street, Downtown New Orleans, New Orleans, LA 70130, USA

#51 of 148 hotels in New Orleans

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Lack of an outside window. Suggest when booking, you ask for one.

The is called the Old no. 77 as the street was renamed some years ago, so it is now in the 500s. The building had bags of character with old brickwork exposed. Good restaurant. There were more lights in the room then in usual hotels, probably because we only had a small internal window. We liked being able to opt out of room cleaning in return for credit on the snack tray! Very handy for the French Quarter, WWll museum and the piers.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Saturday night our room was VERY noisy we had already moved from one room as the bars ice machine was broken and they constantly used the one outside the 1st rooms door Staff were efficient but a little bit too cool to be friendly

Good location smelt good

• Deluxe Queen Room

The hotel had a popular bar and restaurant which means if you are in a downstairs room it get rather loud.

Location great and beds are very comfortable

• Deluxe Queen Room

I noticed I was charged for an extra day. When I called the hotel to ask why I was changed an EXTRA $230. 47 I was put on hold for 10mins. When someone finally came to the phone she asked ME to call HER back bc their system was down. So, I called back to only be put on hold again. After waiting another 10 mins a lady finally comes to the phone and tells me she has a long check-out line and if I could continue waiting on hold or call them back. This is when I snapped! First off, I find it to be terrible customer services to ask the guest to call back. I understand they might be busy checking guests out, so ask for my contact info so you can call ME BACK! Not the other way around.... How I’m I suppose to know when your computer system is up or when you’re finished checking people out? Long story short they charged me for an extra night! Now, I’m waiting to see when I will be reimbursed. Oh... the air conditioner didn’t work

The location is great!

THE BAR CLOSED A BIT TOO EARLY..AND ONLY SAYING THAT CAUSE I HAD TO WRITE SOMETHING IN THIS SPOT.

THE STAFF WAS ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! THEY WENT ABOVE AND BEYOND TO MAKE SURE WE WERE HAPPY. ALSO LOVED THE INDUSTRIAL VIBE AND KEEPING THEM TO THE TRUE HISTORY OF THE BUILDING. FELT LIKE I WENT BACK IN TIME...A VERY COOL PLACE IN TIME AT THAT.

• Deluxe Queen Room

No coffee or tea facilities in the room and with Jet lag it is a MUST when you wake up at 4 in the morning and have to wait 7 am to get a coffee .... No view from the room.

Staff were EXCELLENT especially at the front desk A BIG THANK YOU TO JAY KERONA AND JEANELLE Excellent customer service. Room was very spacious and clean Internet worked well.

Fabulous location. Rooms large and comfy. The restaurant "Compare Lapin" is exceptional. Hard to fault, but the halls could have had a bit more artwork. I would certainly go back.

I missed Sunday brunch at Le Chevre Lapin since I was up until 4:30 am the night prior. The kitchen closes at 2 pm Sunday and I really would have liked to get something to eat as the food looked amazing. But...that was all my fault.

The feel and the decor of the establishment is on point - simply beautiful. The accompaniments like the snack bar's humor & creativity was appreciated and my bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I've stayed on in forever. I liked the vintage feel of the bathroom and the tile work was gorgeous. Loved all the artwork, the valet staff were terrific and I will most likely stay at The Old no. 77 Chandlery each time I come to visit NOLA - no joke.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

They pump a very strong lavenderish smell into the reception area which clings to the elevators. My friend was very sensitive to this smell and described it as 'nauseating'. I quite like lavender but I must admit is was very overpowering and made me think they were covering something up. There is a frosted window on the bathroom door. Really didn't see the point of this, even from a style point of view. Me and my friend are pretty close but I could have done without catching the outline of them sitting on the toilet, in the corner of my eye. No tea and coffee facilities within the room. You do get free refils downstairs if you reuse your cup. The coffee was nice. We paid more for a room with a window for the purpose of getting some natural light in the room. Even so, the room was incredible dark as it backed on a wall and another guest's room. So, if you are thinking of booking a room with a window for this purpose, don't. There is virtually no difference. Just save your money and book the windowless tomb.

The location is perfect. You are situated in the art district which is a 10 minutes walk away from Bourbon street and the French quarter. The neighbourhood is lovely, with lots of nice bars and galleries. It's a quiet alternative from the busy French Quarter but you can 'opt in' to the party at bourbon street in a few short blocks away. The art gallery within the hotel is really cool. The room decor is nice.

• Deluxe Queen Room

About that free WiFi, it can be a little confusing. When logging in, there's a screen with multiple options, and a bunch of them indicate fees. I saw "free 24-hour WiFi," and I actually only used the WiFi for one day, thinking I may get charged.

I went to the bar one night, and the bartender was amazing. I could have spent the whole night watching him make drinks, and the house mint julep he made me was excellent. I also liked having great access to both the Warehouse District and the French Quarter because of your location, and I found NOLA to have great walkability. And the staff there are all great, being both helpful and friendly.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Poor cleaning staff. I hung the sign on my door knob to have my room cleaned and when I returned to the room that evening it had been completely untouched. The garbage was still there and the bed had never been made.

Quirky, eclectic, fun environment. I loved the room. Nice TV with good reception. Comfortable bed and pillows. Cleaning could be better. Received no cleaning service whatsoever the first night and the vent in the bathroom was completely caked with dust.

I liked everything

The staff was super friendly and made sure our stay was comfortable, and always went out of their way to speak, and remember my name. That is what I call super customer service.

• Premium Room with Queen Bed

This is a very noisy hotel! From the noise in the street, to the noise from the rooms above we never achieved an unbroken nights sleep. The restaurant is also very noisy when busy - don't expect an intimate dinner on such nights. The bar area is in the restaurant and is great if you can get a seat but otherwise you have to take your drinks to the lobby (a couple of times we just gave up because there was nowhere to sit). Some of the staff come over as being unfriendly.

The hotel is very quirky looking and our room was very spacious with a comfortable bed and clean linen. The free WiFi was good enough. The breakfast service is very tasty and quite affordable. The restaurant and bar can be very busy but the food is fabulous.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The parking was not included in the price and extremely expensive. The breakfast was also not included in the price and of a very poor quality and only available form 7 to 9:30 in the morning. The room had a window with the "view" on the wall in front of it, so no view and no sun coming in. Every morning at around 8 o'clock a guy from the staff was knocking violently on the door to check if we wanted to refill the the fridge, of course waking us up doing so. At night the bar and restaurant downstairs are vey busy so there is no opportunity for the guests to have a drink at the bar and the place is overcrowded and extremely noisy. When I had to check out the computers were down so I couldn't even check how much I paid.

The interiors and the building are nicely decorated but that's it.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Our booking was not in their system even though I had the confirmation number. We had to wait a while and then we were given a room without a window. When I said it wasn't acceptable they found one room left that had windows but it was on street level with the sidewalk directly in front of the windows. We took that room anyway and it was a nice room otherwise. The restaurant is separately owned and when we went down for brunch we were told since we did not have a reservation they could not accommodate us at all. When we had checked in we had not been told we need reservations. They have breakfast for the hotel guests but it ends at 10 so if you go any time after you have to have a reservation. We had to find another restaurant a few blocks away for brunch.

It has a cool vibe.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The high majority of rooms are almost completely blind, just one window looking at a very tiny space between buildings.

The perfect position, at walking distance from all major points of interest

Our room didn't have much natural light, but that's to be expected in a historic building renovation like this.

The hotel's style and location were great.

My room was right by the ice machine which was so loud. And it was on the ground floor right on the street, it was not noisy but there was no privacy to have the drapes open.

Great location, the restaurant in the hotel was amaizing an the coffee shop was also really good.

• Premium King Room

It’s a very small quibble Room service was pretty overwhelmed both mornings. I think it’s a function of being a restaurant, coffee bar all in one.

All of it

• Deluxe Queen Room

Second day the breakfast boy / coffee barista man wasn’t the best . Customer service was not his strong point.

First night and morning the staff were fabulous . friendly & helpful bunch , bravo .

The room wasn’t clean; the floors were dirty and there was dust on the baseboards. The front staff seemed annoyed we interrupted their day with our presence.

The bed and pillows were heaven sent.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Hairs dust on the floor carpets not vacuumed dirty under the beds and desk ....and absolutely disgusting floors that are never cleaned with a detergent....wiping a cloth on the floor and it was grimy black and brown!!!!!!!!

Filthy rooms even after complaining....and noisy.....

• Deluxe Queen Room

The room was a bit noisy with poor noise insulation.

The interior design and architecture was great. The staff is friendly. The location was superb. The icing was that they not only allow dogs, but treat them as guests in their own right.

• Deluxe Queen Room

the room was not like was shown in the brochure and online. i'm use to having a room with a window that i could see out of or at least visualize some light. they were accommodating in changing the room, but the better room (in my opinion) was at a higher rate. I was late for a meeting because I rely on light coming through a window to motivate me to rise. There is a difference in premium (i had booked) and delux (which i should have booked) queen which should be explained at the time of booking. The pictures shown did not show this type of room). This should have been explained when facility was booked or at least shared before booking. There was an offer for going green. In some hotels you get a percentage if you reuse linen/towels. At this facility you get a percentage on mini bar only which i usually don't use anyhow.

the entire environment was very very good. the area was quiet and relaxing. the staff was very helpful and seem interested in my comfort and experiences. I was late getting in (plane delay) and a phone call to the hotel gave them a heads up and they were accommodating the property was close to where i had to be, convention center was walking distance and to areas i wanted to be.

• Deluxe Queen Room

I was in one of the deluxe queen rooms that "boast light well windows" - in fact, not a glimmer of light came through whatever a 'light well' is, even at noon on a sunny day, so it was a bit dismal.

The maintenance staff are always very friendly here, housekeeping and front-of-house less so.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Customer service, lack of transparency of room types and cleanliness. We booked a regular queen room on Booking.com, but they had us down for an "internal" room in their system, which is a room that has no window. Even though we showed them that we had booked no such room, they refused to acknowledge it, and stated that we had booked a windowless room. My friend has dust allergies and she was coughing so much within an hour that we had to check out on the spot. I left my charger in the room and came back for it that night. They asked me to come back the following day. I came back the following day, and they made me wait 15 minutes while they located it. It had been found in the room but somehow got lost on its way to the front desk; they once again asked me to come back. They then refused to reimburse me, unless I filled out a lenghty incident report!

Location and lobby

• Deluxe Queen Room

Weird plastic mattress cover on the bed wasn't super-comfy! And it would be great to have a coffee maker in room.

Great location, fabulous restaurant and bar, good facilities, really friendly and helpful staff.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The walls were kind of thin, so on a couple of nights I heard neighbors talking. If there was something to make white noise (e.g. big fan or air cleaner), that would have helped.

Mini bar in the room was nice.

• Premium Room with Queen Bed

Newer hotels seem to like gloomy dark receptions these days. Couple of housekeeping issues on arrival but they were fixed the next day. Breakfast options a bit light on for variety.

Location very good. Facilities and wifi very good. Staff were friendly.

• Premium King Room

I really like having coffee in my room, but that is a very small inconvenience at best.

Always love this place. Quaint, old building with its share of quirks, but it always beats out the chains, which are sterile, boring and predictable. I'd pick The Old 77 most any day over most other places, especially here in NOLA.

• Premium Room with Two Beds

The room layout was great but the cleanliness of the bathroom was disappointing and seemed out of character. Lots of dust on baseboards and on bathroom stand and the shower tiles seem tired and worn.

Great energy in the lobby; felt intimate, dynamic and personable since the doorman, restaurant hostess, coffee bar and receptionist are all situated closely together. Great lobby seating -- our whole family could meet up and hang out before heading into the French Quarter or going out to eat. Our room was in the back corner on the second floor and it was relatively quiet the entire trip.

• Deluxe Queen Room

It was quite expensive, but then I was in a bind and needed a place to stay rather badly, so I can't blame them for that.

The space was beautiful, and the staff were not only attentive, but clearly loved where they worked and it showed.

Felt like a party hotel. Liquor on the night stand. Condoms by the bed. The headboard was padded with leather handle straps. Then to top it off the mattress had a plastic cover on it. Talk about uncomfortable. All of these signs point to one thing to rent a room here for. And to top it off the floors are wood so it sounded like horses running above me every night until 2 am. If that’s what you are looking for then this is great. If you want a comfortable nights rest in a quiet room the look elsewhere.

Quirky look and feel to it and the restaurant was nice

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our Room had no window to the outside. It’s very dark in the rooom. Great for sleeping in, but you can’t even see to put on make-up it’s so dark. There’s a faux window onto a light chute, but it is very stuffy in the room and I felt a bit anxious being landlocked. I would not return to one of these windowless room regardless of price.

Nice staff. Pleasant, informal Lobby. Quiet.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Those beautiful floors- VERY squeaky! Could hear in other rooms as well. We asked for champagne glasses to drink in our room and were told to ask the bar/restaurant. They then told us they weren't associated and we couldn't take any to our room. Seems like some miscommunication or something.

Nice size room. Beautiful wood floors (no nasty carpet- bonus!). Nice bathrooms. We had a room with a small window that didn't do much as far as natural light was concerned. We were ok with this but may ask for an upgrade next stay. Coffee was delicious in the morning, but would have been nice for a discount when staying at the hotel

The floor was pretty dirty/gritty in our room. We misplaced something before packing up & untucked the sheets a little to find that they were dirty. They was no fitted sheet on the bed either.

The staff was wonderful. They were friendly, very helpful & accomadating. I love the style & decor of the hotel.

• Deluxe Queen Room

My room was on the ground floor and there was no insulation around the piping being run down from the second floor, as such each shower and flush rang out loud and clear in my room. This did not making for a peaceful night of sleeping.

The visual appeal was amazing. The blend of art and function was certainly enjoyable.

• Deluxe Queen Room

It’s an older building with creaky floors and thinner walls. A bit noisy.

Great staff. Restaurant is amazing. The morning soundtrack made my day start moving and the quirky art was excellent.

• Premium King Room

Cheap linens. No fitted sheet, stained comforter, poorly fitting pillowcases. Step it up a notch if you truly want to offer a boutique experience.

Loved the extra large room with tall windows.

• Interior Queen Room

We could not be put in one room when we added an extra night. Light in first room kept coming on after we went to bed. Staff knew light would come on at different times. Just to bad. Adult product from mini bar on desk. I would not want to explain to children. When one pays that much for a room should get discount for breakfast. Had to drink espresso to get decafinated coffee.

Staff was friendly.

A cart with paint cans was left in the room apparently by maintenance but removed later that evening.

Snacks and minibar by back points are a good idea. I enjoy a large room with high ceilings. No noise heard from other rooms.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The room was smaller than expected. Couldn’t figure out how to access local channels on TV. There was a leak right outside our room that required attention. There was activity in the middle of Monday night waking us up.

• Deluxe Queen Room

That "all" staff be more friendly and helpful to first timers. One girl in the restaurant register was a little rude (white girl with glasses). Everyone else was very friendly.

Most of the staff was friendly.

• Deluxe Queen Room

I left cash at the honor bar in our room which I should not have done without getting a receipt. The items I used from the honor bar were also charged to my credit card.

• Deluxe Queen Room

It is charming, I love the old retro city look! Very spacious and neat floor plan design. I love the bathroom! My second time staying and it will not be the last!!

• Deluxe Queen Room

Noisy at night. Plus I have to ask the front desk for hot water for tea for every cup of water.

Good location: 5 mins walk to Riverside, 15 min walk to French quarter. Also, fair price.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Front door was a bit dismissive, never really greeted us. Not a big issue at all but when everything else and everyone else is super friendly it sticks out a touch.

The old 77 is in a awesome location not a far stroll either way out the door you have plenty of options to eat, see and do. Reception staff was great no hassles what so ever, the beds are comfy and the room itself is a great size. Styled like you are in New Orleans which just adds to the experience of visiting. Would recommend to anyone.

• Deluxe Queen Room

My room was really dark. The window looked out onto a brick wall and didn't let it much light at all. It was depressing. Then I went to take a shower and the shower was lukewarm. Felt like the room was definitely not worth it.

When I complained about the room and the shower, the staff was very friendly and understanding. They took us to another room right away that was much nicer. It had big windows that let in lots of light and the shower was perfect. So I was really happy with the staff.

• Premium Room with Queen Bed

The room we stayed at was facing the street so you could hear all the noise. Wouldn’t recommend that room just because of that.

Chic hotel. Very nice area. Room was very pretty and well sized. A lot of attention to detail. Comfortable bed.

• Interior Queen Room

There is a lot of construction in the area, and it's busy, so there's a lot of noise. We were in the back of the building and heard the maintenance crew-trash pick-up and deliveries-very early in the morning twice during our stay. We changed rooms because of it.

The restaurant and bar is great downstairs. Staff were friendly and accommodating. Room was nice. The location is great.

• Interior Queen Room

there was construction outside my door in the hallway (and neighboring room) for 2 days. The noise was terrible (hammers, saws, drills, fan on all night)! There was no intention of offering another room - I had to complain at front desk and they moved me to another room after they said it would continue for another day or two.

old style and friendly and accommodating front desk staff

• Deluxe Queen Room

This was my 4th trip to the hotel and the only time i've ever had issues. They were still minor and I think it's a FANTASTIC place to stay. This trip, my room was very noisy with the people above me stomping around. If you have small children or are looking to recover (hungover/sick), then you might want to ask the desk for a quiet room. It was very loud stomping. I also had issues 2 times with room service. There's no coffee in the room and I wish they'd add kettles. It's pretty pricey to go down and spend $4 on every coffee.

Love the beds here. Love that the lobby is a lively bar/restaurant. Love the art and the location. And the price is good.

• Deluxe Queen Room

It was very loud and there was construction early in the morning. The restaurant closes at 10, and there’s no option for room service late at night.

The price was reasonable.

• Interior Queen Room

It would have been great if the hotel offered breakfast included in their pricing. A nespresso machine and tea kettle station in the room would have also been very much appreciated. Like many people, I don't function before having had that first cup of coffee in the morning. The laté's at the in-house cafe (next to reception) were incredibly good, but it would have been much more convenient if I could just make that first cup in the morning before venturing downstairs to buy the second cup for the morning. Lastly, the noise from the surrounding rooms was quite bothersome. We could hear people speaking as well as hearing creaking floorboards when someone walked upstairs. If you are a light sleeper this could be an issue.

This hotel offers everything one would want, comfort, friendly staff and it was very clean. It is within walking distance from the French Quarter and slap bang in the middle of the business district, within walking distance of amazing restaurants and good transportation. Mary at reception is very knowledgable and passionate about the city, her recco's were really handy and made for a informative introduction to the city.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Over $40.00 per night to park !!! On check out they tried to charge $20.00 per night for room upgrade which, when questioned they removed. If I had just stayed 1 or 2 nights I would have let it go.

Easy check in & lovely breakfast.

• King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The view from the huge window? There is not view; just a brick column to look at from the window. The dark closet area. The fact that the housekeeping crew stole my wedding dress. No manager in place. Lack of protocols for lost & found items. NO security. Clueless hostess. Shady housekeeping crew. We refused to leave without the dress; and an hour later it was brought to me at the reception area. Thieves work here...PASS on this place & stay somewhere else.

Comfy bed! Uniqueness of the place; artsy, cool vibe..Love the brick and exposed beans in our room!

Standard of room cleaning very poor. One side of hotel is adjacent to night club that on fridays and saturdays boom out music until 4.30 am

Location very good

• Interior Queen Room

The room makeup and the engineering teams are so nice. The staff on the front desk are not all nice and some of them show indifference. When checked in we were assigned a room with a big ventilation machine running very, very noisy on the hall way. After our complaining, they could not fix the machine but had to move us to another room. During the process, the staff is indifferent and probably thought we should appreciate their help, without thinking that it is a painful process for a guest to pack/unpack again due to their mistake.

The quality of interior design is excellent. Some nostalgia, some southern style. The details are take care of nicely. The food in the restaurant is excellent. Breakfast is excellent although the quantity is small.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Air conditioning unit had a loud intermittent rattle (room 111). Found a dirty bandaid in the middle of the floor. Parking fees are ridiculous. If your going to charge this much for a room, it needs to be reflected.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Unfortunately, the hotel had a flood in the lobby and the floor was being ripped out. I understand, these things happen. I stood waiting for twenty minutes as the guy in front of me had a problem and there was only one person at the front desk. I woke up the following morning to a Wi-Fi that wasn't working and took two hours to repair and also to find out the coffee grinder was broken so only regular coffee was available. I asked for tea but they told me the distributor did not provide tea but they had hot water. The staff was indignant when I asked for breakfast like they were doing me a favor. However, the breakfast wasn't bad although they never offered me more coffee. the price for the hotel was way too high for what was being offered. I will not stay at this hotel again. It may be fine for some people just not for me.

The location is excellent.

• Deluxe Queen Room

This time around, the guys serving the coffee in the morning could have been a bit nicer. One was nearly condescending. But, that's just one person and didn't really affect my stay. Otherwise, I adore this hotel and will be staying there again.

I've stayed here several times now, for several reasons. First, everything feels new, cool, tidy and fresh at this hotel. The rooms are large, open, brightly lit and the beds are great. Downstairs, you'll find one of the best restaurants/cocktail bars in town and they have a little gym too. It's also a fantastic location if you want the best of the Central Business District and the French Quarter. It's right in the center of the line between the two, very close to the river.

• Interior Queen Room

Sometimes a little noisy from heat or AC but not a big deal.

Phenomal restaurant and bar. Rooms are very cool. Very rustic and interesting. Well appointed and comfortable.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Nothing . For some the small room and no view from the window( I mean no view atall!) would be a problem. The air con was very noisy but in November it wasnt really needed. In the heat the rooms would be very hot.

The restaurant was first class- limited menu but great food. The location was perfect to explore all in NO on foot. It was also close to the trolley bus for trips further afield. All staff were very good.

• Deluxe Queen Room

understaffed some front desk staff more interested in looking cool than their job slow poor room cleaning / slow some staff were outstanding

Location Decor

• Interior Queen Room

they must have been working on the roof because there was a lot of banging and pounding all week long sucked staying on the top floor

the hotel had a wonderfull atmosphere and a Hip Vibe!

• Interior Queen Room

I did not get but 2-3 hours of sleep the first 2 nights I was there. Other guests above and to the sides of me were excessively loud and staff was unable to get them to be quite. I ended up requesting to be moved to the opposite side of the hotel!

The restaurant downstairs.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

We were given a smaller room than initially reserved the first night, then transferred to an even smaller room after, our room was only cleaned on the one night of the trip, and other small annoyances.

Beautiful hotel, nice location mostly friendly staff.

That my shampoo container wasn't filled. I would have been pleased to have had it refilled because after 5 days those little bottles just don't have quite enough 😬 Just FYI - the top sheet on the duvets had a ton of lint on them ( the under side) Didn't bother me, just something I noticed

The staff!! Ray the Doorman, Miss Abigail at the bar and Mr. Price with how he deals with his Friday 8:30 pm meetings with the kids💕

• Premium Room with Queen Bed

Perfect location to walk into the french quarter. Beautiful restored warehouse, really quirky. Gorgeous breakfasts, great coffee! The girls at the concierge were always very helpful and friendly. Would recommend and would stay again.

• Interior Queen Room

Cleanliness could be better. Floor wasn't cleaned well every day

Great authentic hotel just located inside the down town. Very comfortable bed& great restaurant

• Deluxe Queen Room

Our "window" looked out to a well and so we faced a brick wall. It served us no purpose. The artificial lighting in the room is not enough to light up the room.

The staff, location and lobby were fantastic!!

• Interior Queen Room

I'm a hotel purest...still love a coffee pot in the room

The manager, Joshua was very kind and helpful. I particularly appreciated how sweet and professional the guys working valet/front door were. It's a class act all around.

• Interior Queen Room

I wish my room had an a room with some sort of a view instead of an opening in the wall to the ventilation shaft. Also didn't appreciate the valet men staring at me silently waiting for their tip after helping me with 1 bag!! Not that I didnt feel he didn't deserve the tip, I just didn't feel it was necessary. He's doing HIS job! No one gives me a tip for doing my job. No one should feel entitled to get a tip.

Beautiful room. Great variety of snacks and drinks. Loved the mid ceiling shower head in the bathroom. Great selection of tv channels. Bed is very comfortable. Love the brick walls in the rooms

• Premium Room with Two Beds

andtried to argue with us, housekeeping not real aware of needs....no toilet paper or tissue left. no wake up call one of my mornings and no coffee availablFound the menu strange. very little common food, a bit on the exotic. porter had an issue e for early travel.

• Interior Queen Room

The guy who checked us in acted like a surly teenager (tall guy with foppish hair). Didn't lift his head after we arrived. Couldn't have looked in a worse mood. Seemed a one off though as all the other staff were great.

It is a really cool, trendy hotel. Close enough to the action (if you want it) but far enough away to get some rest. The CBD is great and there are lots of good bars/restaurants nearby. Streetcar gets pretty close too if you're not into walking too much. Great to be able to buy local art in the foyer of the hotel as well. Would definitely stay again.

Browse The Old No. 77 Hotel & Chandlery traveller photo gallery