Reviews of The Sofia Hotel 4 stars

150 West Broadway, Downtown San Diego, San Diego, CA 92101, USA

#83 of 226 hotels in San Diego

• Deluxe Queen Room

A few homeless around the area like all cities, but hassle free.

Excellent location and staff. Parking is only with valet, but convenient. Beds were comfortable. The restaurant food was outstanding.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The shower :( The wall attachment was at an odd angle, so the only way to wash properly was holding the shower in one hand, so it was hard to soap up or wash your hair. Also, it had no pressure, and one of the knobs kept falling off. Also, there were hairs in the drain of the washbasin. I cleaned them off, but it felt a bit icky.

Loved the beds, and the fold-out sofa for my son was very comfortable as well. Linens were crispy and there were lavender sachets under the pillows! Room thermostat was just right.

The hotel is walking distance from all the bars and restaurants in downtown. The staff were very friendly and greeted us every time we entered or left. You have to valet your car or else your stuck parking blocks away, goes for about $36 a night. But the valet staff are very quick and polite. The rooms are nice, we got upgraded to a mini suit and it was very comfortable and spacious. The interior has a modern look and not too pricey. I would recommend this to anyone looking to stay near the downtown area.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bed is uncomfortable, room smells horrible since it is a pet friendly hotel- they gave us Glade to spray, rooms are VERY small. The hotel should be listed as a boutique.

Nice decor in the lobby and give plenty of water bottles.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Some rooms can be on the small side.

Hotel was really great and offers a lot of extra amenities, such as free walking tours and free yoga classes. Staff is lovely.

• Deluxe Queen Room

I thought parking was available but you have to pay $36 for valet. We found hair in our shower walls - kind of gross but it was a minuscule detail. Everything else was amazing

Modern and contemporary interior with all you need for an extended stay! Great location and amazing staff, restaurant, and bar! Plus you get free bikes for being a guest.

Michaela who checked us in was exceptional - professional, knowledgeable about the property's amenities, and knew the area.

The Sofia is a quaint hotel in the heart of San Diego. An easy walk to anywhere in downtown and close to major attractions.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The room was a bit small, and the location of the sink in the hall by the door seemed odd.

Good bed--nice and firm. The staff was quite welcoming and professional.

Bathroom smelled a bit too much even after it was cleaned.

We were very much welcomed when we arrived and were allowed to check in very early and drop off our gear. Restaurant is fantastic. We loved the bartender and atmosphere. They all remembered our names! We definitely will be coming back on future visits.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

We liked the whole experience - from check-in that was quick, to our room which was very nicely furnished and comfortable, to the staff's attention to detail. We forgot a few items when we checked-out, and they had them waiting for us at reception when we returned to get them. Very nice!!

• Deluxe Queen Room

There is a charge of $14.57 Guest Service fee, which apparently each quest is charged for free local phone and internet. Who uses hotel land lines these days? I bring my own internet hot spot everywhere. It would be interesting if this was a per night charge!?

Quaint, nice modern decor, unique landmark hotel with some history...

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

I booked a 'Double Room with Two Double Beds'. But according to the staff, the hotel does not have any room with 'two double bed'. Instead it is a double bed plus a sofa bed. I had to sleep on a terrible sofa bed for six nights.

Room is clean. Location not bad.

The in-room coffee was awful, and there was no coffee available in the lobby. The elevators are also very small, so if you have a lot of luggage you may need to take multiple trips (or wait around during busy times!).

This place has a lot of character, and is located centrally in downtown San Diego very close to the gaslamp district. The rooms are small but comfortable, and while the windows don't open you still get plenty of sunlight.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The front desk called me two times at 2am, left a voice mail telling me to call them back at the front deck. I called them back and they just had the wrong number. After being woken up it was hard for me to fall back asleep. I used the restroom and realized it was that time of the month so I asked the front desk if they had anything. They didn’t. The only info they gave me was there was a 711 down the street that was probably closed due to construction. Worst costumer service I have ever experienced.

The room was small but clean.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Breakfast in the restaurant only starts at 7 AM during week days and 8 AM during weekend. Alternative would be the Corner Bakery across the street or the The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf next door.

• Deluxe Queen Room with City View

I was called out by one of the nighttime desk staff as if i was homeless, because i wasn't dressed up (and this was around midnight) and my eyes were closed. I had a jacket on, a notepad in front of me, and was clean and kept. I had to justify myself as a guest of the hotel and he not only didnt apologize, he watched me the entire time.

• Deluxe Queen Room with City View

They tried to overcharge me by $100. I had to pull up my Booking.com confirmation to get the proper rate.

Nice boutique hotel with character. While it is a historic older building, it has been updated to look modern and nice.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The shower didnt have a shower door. The windows make you feel like your in a prison cell. The room overall is too small. No bathroom privacy if you have a second guest. When checking out, I called the front desk for bell desk to pick up my suitcases, and she forgot, which generated a delay in my leaving and another call.

The ambiance and quaint feel of the hotel. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The bar inside is a fun lil spot and the staff was friendly too! Good Happy Hour prices.

• Deluxe Queen Room

There was a homeless man defecating outside of the hotel when my 11yo and I walked in. When I told the man at the front desk about this, he wasn’t concerned at all. Hotel is in a very bad neighborhood and should have security at both entrances.

The room was small, but clean.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Could hear some road noise but right in Downtown so to be expected. Sad to see so many homeless in such a rich country.

Great position by downtown for nightlife, train station and harbour.

The sheets were not great quality, kind of prickly.

The bed itself was comfortable. . the hotel looked beautifully decorated for Christmas . All of staff did a great job, very helpful.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Some maintenance issues , a noisy a/c unit , a broken shower curtain rod , and a drain issue in the bathroom sink , but was just a maintenance thing , easily repaired Parking prices are a little ridiculous , and watch where you park ...its ticketville downtown

Very comfortable bed , big room , great staff , bartender was fantastic , the restaurant and waiter were top notch , the food was great I recommend the salmon , overall a great experience , I highly recommend it

• Deluxe Queen Room with City View

Not a thing. Would love them to have a hottub, but this is a Historic Hotel, and there is no room for it

Charm, Customer Service, Location. This place is

• Deluxe Queen Room

"Deluxe" queen room was very small. Extra chair placement made it almost impossible for me to get around the bed in order to get into bed. No coffee in the lobby. Room coffee was ok but hate powder creamer.

Pretty lobby, friendly staff

• Deluxe Queen Room

Great location, great and comfy room and nice exterior, interior and staff! Price is very affordable and free yoga class in the morning was a great surprise! Oh, also the cafe on the 1st floor served very nice coconut milk/almond latte/hot cocoa. I was so happy and proud I chose this hotel, because my bosses were happy too. Thank you so much for a great stay, definitely wanna come back!

• Deluxe Queen Room with City View

Shower weirdly had a glass partition that went only halfway across the shower and not a door that fully closed??? I felt like I was leaking water on the floor no matter how hard I tried not to (and despite the mat on the floor). Also, no complimentary breakfast or pool - although there IS a coffeeshop literally right next door that I went to for a breakfast bagel + coffee daily. No free shuttle to/from the airport, but the cabs/airport shuttle were fairly reasonably priced (at least compared to Chicago, where I'm from) at $10 for the shuttle ride from the airport and $17 for the cab ride to the airport.

Excellent hotel. Bed comfortable, great view of downtown from the windows, excellent wi-fi, great amenities in the room (plus the room is fashionably furnished in an aesthetically pleasing way...you feel like you're in a fancy home rather than a hotel almost). Staff friendly and helpful; able to use the computers and printer in the business center. Great location: 15-20 minute drive to the airport, and also centrally located / closely located in the city. Was easy to walk to popular tourist attractions as well as the hotel my conference was at.

Parking was typical downtown parking unless you paid $36 to valet

The staff was amazing! Told them it was our anniversary and our room was upgraded to a room with a view and we received complimentary Sofia champagne.

No breakfast included 1 restaurant Currant not open for breakfast Can work on lobby rugs cleaning Bathroom space small Complimentary coffee will be great

Location close to trolley station and to a walking distance to the convention center and to gas lamp and Little Italy restaurants. Front desk staff very courteous and attentive Quick registration and sign off Quiet rooms

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom was poor The parking was too expensive - 36 bucks a night No extra facilities like pool, gym, breakfast

We liked the location The room is nice The staff is polite

• Deluxe Queen Room

I cant give a negative comment.

We only had one night at this Hotel and this was unfortunate because on our trip exploring the west coast i would probably say it was one of the best and wanted to stay a few more nights. We got an amazing deal for the night and the room (although small) was lovely, facilities more than adequate. Bed comfy. Hotel overall very nicely decorated and well looked after. Staff friendly and professional. Outside the hotel is a 5/10mins walk to 5th avenue and this was full of restaurants to suit all, atmosphere was electric, had a really good meal and night. On our early rise to get back on the road the valet parking was ideal, although possibly the dearest we paid on our trip it was standard for the area ( i checked other carparks).

• Deluxe Queen Room

The lighting in the bathroom vanity area is severely lacking. The pillows were too large. Two small pillows for each side of the bed would be more accommodating. The restaurant is more like a bar that serves food. The mistakes were innumerable.

I love the character and quality of the building.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room they gave us (room # 507 on the 5th floor) had an atrocious smell (moldey smell) perhaps from poor ventilation. The hotel staff were able to give us another room on the 2nd floor which was significantly better.

Location was pretty good and near several places such as the marina walk. We loved the restaurant across the street from it ("Breakfast Corner"). Staff were good but I would not say super duper good (maybe it's just our timing).

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

very very small room. dont have space to move. we ask about a small infant bed, but they can not supply. our little child sleep on some blankets on the floor !!!

• Deluxe Queen Room

Like most of hotels in San Diego, a room charge is a bit expensive. Bathroom is clean and tidy but no door for a shower booth.

Perfect location. Close to the train station, little Italy, sea side and downtown of the city. Room is clean and stylish. Free coffee and 2 bottles of water. Equipped a refrigerator in the room, but no mini bar, 2 bottles of wine are optional to pay.

• Deluxe King Suite

This is hotel with history, family owned They have a lot of specials which are included, like tea and coffee on the room. A historic city walk, guided by Pamela, and complimentary Yoga classes.

I did not like the fact that Wi-Fi wasn't free. Having valet parking run my car into the curb and scratch the rim was also disappointing.

The location was great.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Parking availability was not-so-good. Adjacent parking lot was full and expensive and street parking is "hit & miss."

walking distance Gaslamp district, Seaport Village, restaurants and stores

• Deluxe Queen Room

We were told the restaurant bar "Currant" would be open until 2am. It closed each night very early around 11-12.

A beautiful hotel and great staff.

• Deluxe Queen Room with City View

I'm not keen on the half open shower seems there could be a liability issue there. The size of the room was smaller than I had imagined. Much smaller. The TV was a bit dated. Considering the size of the room, I wouldn't expect a 40".. but something a little bigger and newer would be nice. I've slept on more comfortable beds, but I've DEFINITELY been in worse beds. I would consider their mattresses just above average. City noises seem to easily bleed through the windows and walls.

Great location, the hotel was clean and staff was very helpful and courteous. The check in, check out process was incredibly smooth, and when I had mistakenly believed I booked the wrong date, guest services was willing to accommodate my guest and I by booking a room of the correct date- free of charge. Plenty of foods of located directly around the hotel, equally as many activities (both day and night) as well; If you're in town for pleasure. Parks and such are just a quick 5-10min uber trip. There is public parking located nest the hotel if you don't wish to valet (which is charged). We didn't mind as we stayed directly in the city No hiccups, no pressing or concerning issues with the room or staff. Any disappointment I experienced was overcome by the city view! Had I. Not had the view, though, this review would likely be a little more sour 😅

• Deluxe Queen Room

Window coverings are difficult to operate and one didn't move. Hotel bar closes at 10pm. Way too early if you're coming back from being out and want a nightcap. Seems silly on a weekend. I find the hotel overpriced after taxes, fees and parking.

Bathroom lights didn't work but they fixed it immediately. Employees are first rate.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The bathroom sink was in the main room and not in the bathroom. That was pretty weird.

The location was near all the cool things in the Gaslamp district and just a short walk to my conference. The staff were helpful and quick to act when something needed to be addressed.

see above

Wifi slow. Bathroom configuration a bit odd due to the overall small size of the room. Good location. Small closet would benefit from a few extra hangers. Overall good stay and the staff is excellent

• Deluxe King Suite

I booked a king room for 4 of us - supposed to have fold out bed. When we got there, they told us they were completely sold out of all rooms. I had a confirmation number - it was 930 pm - they told me 'sorry, you'll need to call booking' - I insisted and suddenly they found a queen sized room. Two of us had to sleep on the floor. Service was very bad. Were not helpful at all.

• Deluxe Queen Room

1st the room was excreamly small for its prize....the vallet parking was "free" and then I was charged 36 for using it...the bathroom was so small the sink was outside and the door was just sliding door...

I liked the location....the room it was clean

• Deluxe Double Room

Had to haul our bags upstairs ourselves as the bell boy was too busy to help. Couldn't quite put my finger on what else was a problem specifically just a lack of care and a feeling like we didnt exist if that makes sense.

The location of the hotel is perfect for site seeing shopping and nightlife. The hotel itself is beautiful and although the room was small it was very nice.

• Deluxe Queen Room with City View

A lot of homeless people around.

Our room was actually two rooms: one bedroom and one living room. Two TVs, two A/Cs. The room had a small fridge and coffee maker. The location is great - right in the middle of downtown, a lot of cafe around, a mall, a grocery. Public transportation is good. Hop-on-hop-off in a block from the hotel. The hotel is interesting by itself - it was old but renovated.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with City View

We were charged $36 dollars a day to park at the hotel. Never have I had to pay for parking at any hotel/motel that we stayed at. This was very unexpected. My feeling is, if you stay at a place then you should get your parking for free.

Location to downtown San Diego from The Sofia Hotel was fantastic. Our room was great and the friendliness and assistance from the staff was outstanding.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Wifi hardly worked in our room. When it worked, it took in the order of minutes to connect. We could hear sound from other rooms.

Location of the hotel is great.

• Deluxe Double Room

One day room was not serviced- had to request it was done when we returned to botel in evening Hotel charge higher than Booking.com price. Had to argue with front office staff

• Deluxe Queen Room

Air con was pretty loud!

Perfect location for exploring the city as everything is in walking distance. Clean, quiet and a great coffee shop just downstairs too! Previous reviews on this hotel were v.harsh - not to be believed! Wifi is included, there was no issue with water pressure and staff were amazing.

• Deluxe Queen Room with City View

Rooms a bit tiny. After seeing ours we upgraded to a suite. The canned pop music in hotel and the restaurant did not match the classy ambience and we felt it was a turnoff. We didn't like the TVs everywhere we looked in the restaurant either. The wifi is slow and close to useless for web browsing. I tested it at 2mbps download (very poor) .05mbps upload which gets a fail for uploading business documents. We used our mobile provider throughout our stay.

Charming ambiance, our suite roomy, clean, quiet and mostly comfortable, staff was superb in cheerful, can do attitude, promptness and helpfulness. Food inventive, appealing and perfectly cooked. Cocktails and range of beer , wine etc were good.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

The aircon unit was way too loud and the room too small to not switch it on, unfortunately. This made it difficult to sleep well.

Good deal for a San Diego downtown hotel within very easy walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter. The staff was friendly, there are lots of complimentary activities like a walking tour, bike rental, yoga classes etc, which I didn't use. The room was small but clean, the toiletries were nice, so was the little lavender bag in the room.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

on this visit the room was on the 7th floor and was very small bathroom and wardrobe were smaller too also the air conditioning was loud On our previous visit to this hotel we were on the 2nd floor and the room, bathroom and wardrobe were better in size and air conditioning not loud. Maybe we were put on the 7th floor because we were just there for 1 night this time where as on our previous stay a week prior we were there for 3 days and obviously had to unpack a bit more However it was a clean comfortable room fine for one night

We liked the location of this hotel perfect for anything you wanted to do or see in San Diego. Also it has everything you need in the room and in the hotel a restaurant and bar, free wifi and use of computer to print off boarding passes etc. Staff were friendly and very helpful

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

I heve been sevral times to have a chance to visit San Diego. This is the 1st time to book Sofia.I always change the train to Santa Fe,where the hotel lies in the vicinity. I love authentic hotel and wants to be back again if I have a chance.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

There was nothing to dislike

The friendly and helpful nature of the staff was incredible th facilities were perfect the view was beautiful great location for walking to lunch or dinners

rooms are VERY small

quiet room; great location that is walkable to everything; excellent staff; efficient use of space in the rooms; coffee bean and tea leaf in ground floor; good restaurant. feel safe traveling alone.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

Unfortunately there is a $36 parking fee per day and the rooms are much smaller than expected. You don't really have a choice in terms of parking. Valet and self park are both $36 so you might as well do valet.

The staff and location are both fantastic. They even have bikes available at a first come basis for up to 3 hours for free. We also brought our pups and it was great.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was a little on the small side but apart from that all fine!

Great Location, Staff Really Helpful, Nice room, clean. Would definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

WiFi too slow, impossible at times. Cable TV dropped out frequently, bathroom small with vanity in main area. Valet parking so expensive our rental car was returned to airport after check in to avoid charges.

They did allow us to check in at 11:30 after a 17 hour flight from Australia. Staff friendly and efficient.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff was not well informed about public transportation nor good recommendations for places to eat.

Super location and great value. Great Boutique feel.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

Shower temperature capped at 95 degrees?! To me this felt tepid and was essentially only tolerable. @ $500 per night I would have enjoyed a hot shower. This was my biggest complaint and to be frank will have me looking elsewhere next time I visit. Full length mirror would have been nice. The room itself had a noisy hum that was tolerable but still noticeable. Also missed this in the small print but they charge $36/night for parking.

Clean, comfortable, I liked the calm classical music when we got in the room. The lavender bag was a nice touch. Had a light go out in the vanity but they quickly sent someone up who was very pleasant. I liked the offer for yoga and a morning tour of the gaslamp district.

• Deluxe Queen Room with City View

There was a loud party in the room next to us that went into the wee hours of the morning. We called the front desk but nothing was done. The air conditioning sounded like a jet engine in the room.

The hotel has been nicely renovated and the rooms while small are well appointed.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

No bathtub. Small room, but fine for business travel.

Very helpful and courteous staff. Quick Uber to the Convention Center. Restaurant on the premise was wonderful.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

The room could have been less cramped and the shower facility was inadequate. The lighting in the bathroom was dull. The restaurant and coffee shop should be part of the hotel.

The hotels location and the staff were very helpful especially the concierge Ian.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

The only problem we had was the shower door. It didn't close so the floor in the bathroom got all soaked. But it wasn't a big issue.

The room gave a nice comforting feel and the staff was really helpful. My boyfriend and I also enjoyed the restaurants nearby. It's location is perfect and we had a fun and romantic time together. Definitely a place we'd like to go to again.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

The staff at the desk weren't very helpful with directions. The only fellow that was really friendly was the one when we arrived on Sun. Morning. The valet fellow was also very nice.

Location, ambiance, and decor. Gym was nice, but no waters on Tues. a.m. And no hand gel, nothing to wipe the machines down with.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

I could not access the closet to hang up my clothes because the bed was so close. The room itself was small but certainly typical of hotels built in1926.

The location was excellent and the staff were great. There was even complimentry bottled water as well as a coffee maker. The hotel was built in the in the 20s but had been updated with modern conveniences (great shower).

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

The walls are a bit thin. You can hear people in the next room and in the hall.

Staff were super friendly and the restaurant is nice. Location is perfect.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

I stayed here while attending a conference at the nearby Westin Gaslamp. The hotel has lots of charm. The rooms are small, but very clean and comfortable. The hotel was very quiet, and very pleasant. Staff was friendly and welcoming. The location was very convenient -- close to the Gaslamp, close to the Horton Westfield Plaza mall, and walking distance to the waterfront, but without all the noise and hubbub of the main strip in the Gaslamp Quarter. Excellent value. Free bottled water, mini fridge and microwave, restaurants nearby, free bicycles available.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

I was not in the hotel a lot, but what I needed was good night sleeps. Bed was amazing! I walked to the Convention Centre everyday and the location was great for access to a ton of restaurants and gaslamp quarter. And way more affordable than any other high quality hotel I looked at.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

I wish I had known more about the pet policy, they got a fido's award and totally made me wish I brought my best friend. Please advertise this!

I loved my stay at the Sofia Hotel. The hotel was clean and the staff super friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

I think they lack customer service. My boyfriend and I checked in with so much stuff in our hands and we didn't even get offered help like others hotel do. No phone as well in case we want to call room service. Also, there were no toothbrushes included.

Location was perfect!

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

My room was tiny and the bed was hard very hard. Although I didn't spend much time in the room it felt a bit claustrophobic and tight in there.

The staff was excellent, very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Worst customer service I've ever experienced. I was supposed to stay here with 5 colleagues and the hotel did not have reservations on file for 4 of them. The staff did nothing to try and reconcile this either.

Close to public transit. Stable WiFi. Coffee joint next door.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Small breakfast included would be nice

The beds were comfortable. The complimentary water was appreciated, as was the corkscrew. Staff helpful & pleasant to talk to.

Browse The Sofia Hotel traveller photo gallery