Skip to main content
  3. North West hotel reviews
  4. Pilanesberg hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Black Rhino Game Lodge

Reviews of Black Rhino Game Lodge

s/n Pilanesberg National Park, North West Province, 0001 Pilanesberg, South Africa

#9 of 11 hotels in Pilanesberg

Read more- opens a dialog box

Showing 1 – 25

• Reviewed: 2 March 2024

Amazing and memorable stay in nature with all confort

X

Open shower was soooo enjoyable ✨ Amazing confortable room/hut in nature 🌳🛖 Friendly staff 🥰 Great drives with knowledgeable ranger, Thanks Rassi for helping us spot so many animals 🛻📷🥰🐘🦏🐃🦓🦁🦒🇿🇦

• Reviewed: 25 February 2024

Enjoyed our stay and the game drives and the new friends that we met.
    • Luxury Suite with 2 Game Drives

Dinner was good but not amazing

Good location and friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2024

Everything is perfect

Everything is perfect

• Reviewed: 8 February 2024

Very good
    • Luxury Suite with 2 Game Drives

The ranger was at times a little non-communicative which was a bit odd and then at other times he was okay.... Just a little disappointing as we've experienced some fantastic passionate rangers in the past. The trip in general was good though and we would recommend this location.

Amazing room, beautiful area and good quality food. Lovely and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2024

• Suite with 2 Game Drives

We stay in room 6. The room was very old. Sheets and towels were dirty. There were yellow marks on the pillows sheets. My friends rooms newest and more clean but I can’t say the same thing our room.

Safari experience was good. Our ranger was very friendly and knowledgeable. She was expert on her job. The safari was only thing we love about stay in black rhino. The breakfast and dinner were not too bad.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2024

Excellent really enjoyed ourselves.
    • Suite with 2 Game Drives

Meal in the Boma on the 24th December not up to scratch to other meals.

Staff as previously really friendly and helpful, we got to see the big 5 again.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2024

Great value, gorgeous rooms and excellent food. Arrive early to ensure place on game drive though.
    • Suite with 2 Game Drives

On arrival we were told we could not go on the safari as we had arrived late. The vehicles left whilst we were filling in check in paperwork. The manager finally arranged a vehicle for us and 2 other guest parties after a distressing start. The start of the game drive was awkward as the driver said nothing to anyone. A word from a friend in Afrikaans seemed to change the demeanour completely. We then discovered a dangerous elephant was frequenting the road outside the lodge and had attacked our driver days before. We saw him not long after and on both game drives- perhaps an unsafe situation to be in.

The room was phenomenal. Beautifully laid out, clean and comfortable. The food was equally good. The mussels and squash a particular favourite.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2024

Very good sightings in a very confortable lodge
    • Suite with 2 Game Drives

Pools very small and the pool area could be better arranged (no chairs, loungers etc available)

Huge rooms - communicating together. Very nice common spaces (sofa, chill places, terrace)

• Reviewed: 11 January 2024

It was a nice mini getaway...
    • Suite with 2 Game Drives

During dinner summer time, perhaps make a boma fire to attract the bugs in that direction or get repellent fire burning lamps or some sort

Breakfast was ok., it was normal things, we've had better. Location was good

• Reviewed: 11 January 2024

A trip to remember
    • Luxury Suite with 2 Game Drives

We got engaged, and the staff arrived a private drive with bubbles for us. Nothing was too much trouble. All meals from the trip were fantastic.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2024

My home away from home. Soul food.
    • Suite with 2 Game Drives

Everything is amazing, staff are friendly and accommodating. They always exceed my expectations. I will be back again soon.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2023

Nice stay, perhaps a bit overpriced for current quality.
    • Suite with 2 Game Drives

-Sofas and lounge chairs in public spaces were dirty, not regularly cleaned. Always had to wipe surface clean ourselves before sitting. -warm towels they give you after the game drive smell slightly moldy and this smell lingers on your face after using them. This was the case after both game drives. -very long 1,5 hour drive on dirt roads just to get to the main part of Pilanesberg, so location does not seem optimal. -Cold beverage is not complimentary on game drive. -Chef could improve quality of side dishes in restaurant.

-friendly staff -great guide -saw lots of animals in short time -nice spatious rooms - nice areas to relax

• Reviewed: 21 December 2023

Guide Dolfie is the best!
    • Suite with 2 Game Drives

Had the best time at black rhino with some amazing game drives to see the big 5, all due to our guide Dolfie! He showed us the beauty of the park and animals, was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Even birding is a new hobby now (Dolfie knows over 600 birds and their calls!). The accommodation is nice, staff is great, as is the food. We enjoyed our stay!

• Reviewed: 21 December 2023

Beautiful Place to explore.
    • Luxury Suite with 2 Game Drives

FROGS- there were tons of them everywhere. If you don't get along with them, winter will be the best time to visit. I tried to ignore them but I just couldn't as they were allover.

Everything!!!! ALL Associates were so wonderful mostly! Mmapula the server and Steven the guide. Very clean food- amazing plate presentation. Steven took really good care of us during game drives. Bit shy from the beginning but once he gets out of his own shell, we couldn't stop laughing!!!! Check-in procedure was super simple and less time consuming!!!

• Reviewed: 20 December 2023

Very good
    • Luxury Suite with 2 Game Drives

I wish they took us through the processes while staying there, especially on the game drives a little more.

I was obsessed with the game drives. We went on all of them. Freedom did a great job. The food was also so amazing. I would 1000% go back for the kudu potjie.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2023

This lodge is a diamond in the rough. From check in to tea to accommodating my food restrictions to celebrating my husba
    • Luxury Suite with 2 Game Drives

The property was well maintained.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2023

Great Game sightings in a good lodge
    • Suite with 2 Game Drives

Both the room and the grounds were a little tired, they felt like a small refurb was needed to keep them to a high standard. The food was OK, but were were hoping for better quality. This is a mid-range lodge. You pay for the drinks on your evening drives (although in European prices they are very cheap), there is a lot of food included, but the quality varies a lot - the creamy squash was fantastic, afternoon tea options were poor.

When reviewing a stay like this is has to primary be about the game drive and guide. We stayed for 2 nights so had 4 dives all of which were fantastic, we saw 4 of the big 5 and lots of other fantastic sightings. The lodge itself was very nice the staff were all so helpful and we had a luxury room which was huge with a massive bath and huge shower both of which were great after the cold morning drives! We were staying during the rugby world cup final and really enjoyed watching it on the big screen in the main lodge with other guests and the staff!

• Reviewed: 24 November 2023

Gorgeous location, amazing team members but be cautious if you have dietary needs
    • Luxury Suite with 2 Game Drives

I have complex dietary needs and provided these via booking.com before arrival and to reception again when we checked in. Unfortunately, I still wasn't catered for. When I asked about the ingredients of the food one evening, the chef - who hadn't seen my list of allergies - said "I think you can probably have it", which isn't really good enough, as I didn't want to be unwell. It transpired that the dish in question contained butter and I cannot have dairy, so I would have ended up very ill. I've marked down my rating on value for money as I paid as much as the other guests staying but wasn't able to eat.

The room was beautiful, the waiting staff and reception staff were amazing and couldn't do enough to make us feel at home. Our guide was incredible and really went above and beyond to give us some epic game drives, including an extended drive which meant 9 hours out in the bush. We've visited Black Rhino before and had no hesitation about coming back, and we'd love to visit again in the future.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2023

Superb

Hospitality, food, relaxation

• Reviewed: 19 November 2023

Very nice place to enjoy the bush without traveling as far to Kruger.
    • Luxury Suite with 2 Game Drives

Lack of water supply included in stay. Water should be supplied on safari and in the room daily without have to request or pay additional. It’s a basic need.

Nice facilities. Great staff and food.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2023

• Suite with 2 Game Drives

Facilities was a bit of a let down Food was okay Very expensive for what was included

Beautiful location

• Reviewed: 4 November 2023

We would go back in a heartbeat!
    • Suite with 2 Game Drives

It was too cool to swim so I didn’t see the pools but I think they are more for splashing than swimming.

The staff are lovely. Very helpful and so friendly! They wanted us to have a wonderful visit. The food is very good with great selections. The fame drives were fantastic! We only didn’t see cheeta. (But I have visited 6 other parks over the years and never saw one!). Our ranger was also great. He gave us a lot of information about both wildlife and plants.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2023

I had a great stay at the lodge and enjoyed the game drives a lot.
    • Suite with 2 Game Drives

The pool area was somewhat small and not at the same quality level as the rest of the lodge.

I am very happy that I linked a businesstrip to Johannesburg with a weekend stay at the game lodge. Very nice and comfortable acommodation. Good facilities and great safaris. Going out before 5 in the morning seeing the wildlife was just amazing. The afternoon drives was also very nice. Very good meals at the lodge with a view to a waterhole.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2023

• Suite with 2 Game Drives

Bush drives sparse animals. Guides not experienced. Morning trips into Pilanesberg rushed with guides staying on own tracks and following animals or listening to other guides

Quite and comfortable. Friendly helpful staff. plenty of food cooked well

Showing 1 – 25

We Price Match
We Price Match
Low rates • No booking fees • Find cheaper? We'll refund the difference!