Reviews of Aljubarrota Guest House

5.7

5.9

Good value for money

Location and friendly staff

Perfect location, as guest house rooms are spacious and clean. Stuff very friendly and very accommodating with any needs. Really made our stay even more enjoyable. Thanks again Bruno and the staff.

Very nice and central guesthouse
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The wifi in our room was not so good

The Apartment is in the middle of the shopping street und very central! Our room was in my opinion very comfy and was cleaned everyday!

perfect for young couple.
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

i did not find a hair dryer in whole house :)

the room was cozy and always clean, thank you for letting us stay. Even though the room is in a busy city centre street, there was no noise at night and morning.

Great and memorable
    • Double Room with Balcony and Shower

It was great! With just a small contribution up to you, you'll find at your disposal coffe, all sort of tea, fresh fruit and there's a fridge in which you can find all sort of beverages, from still water to red wine. Very accomodative place and great staff!! Central location and also very quiet at night!

the bed was indeed extra comfy.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

the coffee could have been better :)

the bed was indeed extra comfy. I also liked the azulejos on the wall and the landlady was kind enough to hold my baggage for an extra couple of hours after checking out

?
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

One of those place who write hidden in their terms you'll have to pay 12 euros more for cleaning and property service charge. Those amounts won't show when you book the property, only when you are there and be asked to pay. Those practices are completely unacceptable. If I knew I would have not booked there. Avoid the place. Also look elsewhere for much better value for money. Very noisy street, impossible to open window at night.

?

We would stay here again!
    • Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

4 flights of stairs. Mattress was rather uncomfortable.

Huge windows with balconies on two side so lots of light. Tea and snacks offered on a donation basis. We had a very friendly welcome from the manager and felt well cared for.

😐
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The bed blanket where on the bed they very used and stained had marks on it. My recommendation is to have duvets in there as they looked like they were not taken care of and just the sheets that were washed between clients and white mark on one blankets. The shower did not work and we had to go to the shared one and still nothing after asking for help and finally managed to have shower in this super tiny shower but worked. We paid extra to have a en-suite and had to shower somewhere else. Better system about the checkout as nobody as there.

nothing really as the sheets where under the very used and stained blanked and marks on it. My recommendation to have duvets in there as it looked like they were not taken care of and just the sheets that were washed between clients and white mark on one. The shower did not work and we had to go to the shared one and still nothing after asking for help and finally managed to have shower in this super tiny but worked. We paid extra to have a en-suite and had to shower somewhere else. Better system about the checkout as nobody as there.

Very good value.
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Tight bath room and very firm bed. But at the price, we didm''t expect luxury! We didn't actually see any staff; there's no reception, but we were sent an access code and all worked fine.

The location and the price were very good, and more than made up for the rather basic facilities! Our room (405) was pretty quiet., too, so we slept well. We were there in November, so it was a quiet time anyway. There's a kitchen, very useful.

dirty uncomfortable place in good location
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

1. After I booked it and couldn't delate the booking they send me the info about additional payments: for towels 2 Euro, for cleaning 7 euro. It changed the price and the stay in this place wasn't worth that money. Plus it was very dirty under the bed - they charge for cleaning and they don't clean.

It served the purpose
    • Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Stairs and no pricate bathroom

It depends on the purpose of the stay....overnight yes ....longer than that no! Too many stairs and heavy baggage for holiday purposes makes it impractical...also no private bathroom...yet for backpackers and youth it would be fine.

Cheap gueshouse in a great location . Ok for a short stay but you only get what you pay for...
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Quite a tatty guesthouse on the 4th floor- so quite few stairs to climb. The accomodation was clearly someones home and they had divided up the rooms to make it into a guesthouse. Everything is clearly on its last legs and looking sad, threadbare and in desperate need of repair. My single room was at the back and overlooked a balcony full of rubbish and scrap. It was also very noisy due to the constant drone of the numerous airconditioning units. On the question of cleanliness I think the cleaner was doing the best she could but its hard to cleanse things that are old and worn out. Consequently the bathrooms smelled a bit, although the shower in the large bathroom was very good. The small bathroom was pokey and the shower was dark, dingey , grubby and barely big enough to get into. The shared kitchen was, however, ok and had a fridge, sink and and kettle. There were cctv cameras everywhere which made me feel uncomfortable. Just outside the building I was approached on numerous occasions by men selling marijuana. This isn't the owners fault and I never felt threatened but it may put some people off. Unless you are really on a tight budget I would not recommend this guesthouse.

THE LOCATION WAS PERFECT. INTERNET WAS GOOD. EASY TO CHECK IN AND OUT

It was ok.
    • Double Room with Balcony and Shower

Compact toilets and shower cubicles. No basic cooking facility.

The accommodation was fairly basic. The directions to the Lodge was sent to us very late. We spent two hours looking for the place. The shower cubicle in our room was in a poor state. The first day when we got to the lodge, we were unable to go to our room due to the triple locking system on the door. So we were asked to use another room with toilet facilities in the room. Which was good but the toilet was so compact. Whilst we were there, another occupant sprained his ankle in an accident walking up the stairs. Hence, I think a lift facility would be good for older couples choosing the accommodation.

Would never come again.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I was staying in the place for two nights. Firstly, the place is really hard to find because near the entrance there is no name of the place, just small paper where to ring the door. The first impression of the place - receptionist was even hardly speaking English, I needed to speak in Portuguese for her to understand. Smells like a really old place. The room was totally not as on the pictures. Dirty, full of hairs on the ground, I was not sure if sheets of the bed were changed because I found hairs even on the sheets. Disgusting. Probably walls are very tight because you can even hear when people in the other room opening their luggage. Even if the location is in the center, I think it's a shame to keep this kind of place in here. I will never ever come back to this place. Don't believe 100% in pictures what you see.

location is fine but knowing how perfectly developed is Lisbon public transport it's not such a big pron

Amazing location, great place, just be aware no elevator and on the 4th floor

No elevator. You have to carry your luggage up 4 floghts of stairs

It was clean and the room was nice with a balcony and a private restroom, it was really located in an amazing spot of the city. Probably the best spot in the city.

We loved our stay in Lisbon . Fantastic city. At the same time lively and chilled!!
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

very basic but all you need is there . very old building , in need of modernisation ! no lift and the guest house is on the 4 th floor ! no light in stairs either!!

the location is ideal as right in the city centre . Easy access to all districts , touristic attractions etc . kitchen available to guests , to prepare and eat breakfast as well as other meals ; no cooking allowed though .

Good enough for one night as a solo traveler. Friendly and pleasant staff!
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The linens were old and uncomfortable. The room was very small. Still have no idea what the purpose of a bidet is.

Very basic accommodations perfect for a solo traveler. However aside from a bed with older linens and a bathroom.... there may be room for improvement or recommend another accomadation.

Perfect room in the perfect location for a fair price.
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Of course a lift would help (four floors of stairs) but everything was so perfect we didn't really mind the climbing.

Perfect location, perfect room, great value for money. And Gisele, the manager, was amazing. Nothing at all to complain.

A good address
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

My matress was the only bad aspect there.

A very good solution for small budget travellers. It's ideally situated. And my room was quiet. The person who received me was very kind and very helpful from the beginning to the end.

Very nice stay
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

It should be taken in mind that it is fourth floor and there is no elevator. No problem at all if you are fit. It is in the centre, so there is exterior noise, the shutters are rather effective for this however.

Perfect location, little balcony, use of kitchen, little noise in the facility itself, enough communal toilet and douche facility.

Not recommended
    • Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

A bit noisy at night until 2am as it is close to pub. There's no staff on site. Got locked out at second night because the lock at the main gate couldn't be opened, called and waited for a relative of the owner to come and only able to enter an hour later.

The guest house is alright if you just want a place to sleep in Baixa, centre of Lisbon.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Booking.yeah! I said sarcastically
    • Double Room with Balcony and Shower

There was nobody there (I was told that staff is only there until 8 p.m.). The sign on the door said to call a number, which I did and the man gave me the code to get in. I would have been out of luck if I didn't have access to a phone. It was a very old building and not well kept up. I had to climb 4 floors of stairs (there was no elevator). There was no air conditioner, which made it uncomfortably warm. Worst of all, the room had a bad smell. The door to the tiny balcony was leaning against the wall. There was a bidet at the foot of the bed! That's not a joke. The paper on the wall above the bed said that they charged $2 for every towel that a guest used! And they requested total silence while staying there. I took photos because I couldn't believe it. I don't think this place would not be allowed to operate if it were in the USA. I expected booking to have done a better job of screening their co-operating businesses. I started searching for another place to stay, but an email from booking.com said that the fee was non-refundable, and since it was also late I decided to stay. With each new grim discovery I kept sarcastically saying to myself, "booking.yeah!"

It was in a good location

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

The reason why I have chosen this accomodation was its...
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The hostel is located in a normal residential house. There it covers the 5th floor. One shouldn't have problems with walking up stairs because an elevator is not available. The hostel contains a common kitchen and fridge. For each gender one common bathroom exists. So don't forget flip flops or special bathroom shoes. The whole bathroom furniture is quite old and I didn't experience the bathroom very clean. My room was located next to the women's bathroom. The whole hostel is very clairaudient. Unfortunately, I could hear every single noise from the women's bathroom (I exclude details). Especially the flush was very disturbing and it happened quite a few times that I was waked up by the noises from the bathroom. My room was quite small and smelled slightly. It had rougly 6 square meter and two sinks. The furniture is quite old. In my mind there are better alternatives for the prices for this hostel which has no breakfast included. The position in the city center is completely overrated if one takes the prices for public transportation and its speed into account. The metro system is quite efficient and it shouldn't be a problem to drive 1 to 3 metro stations. I do not recommend this hostel.

The reason why I have chosen this accomodation was its position in the city center. The hostel is quite near to the Metro station "Baixa-Chiado" and "Rossio", to the Praca do Comercio and all other touristic spots.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Easy and safe downtown location
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I'm young and fit, but the walk up to th 4th floor was not easy. They are double floors, so two sets if steps for each. Would definitely not recommend for anyone out of shape or older. Also the staff is never there. Can reach by telephone but makes things difficult when you need something. Like the locks on the doors stick at times:/

Easy location from bus stop and to down town areas. Had a sink in my private single room which was great. Even though i was right next to the communal bathroom and kitchen, i never heard any noise. It was quiet room, good for sleeping.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

A cheap room, but rent it only in the summer
    • Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

There was very-very cold in the flat. In the room was an oil radiator, but when we was arriving it was shut down and it lasted a day to heat the room. And also after that the room wasn't pleasent warm. We could eat only in the kitchen. It would have been a problem, but in the kitchen was no heating. The bathroom was not to big, it can not be seen in the pictures, but it didn't mean a big problem, thoug the room was very cheap.

It is situated in a very good place in the city center in an old house.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

How you spoil your nights in Lisbon
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

those guys put so many rules but they don't actually maintain the house. There is no reception, especially during night hours when you ellegedly supposed to deal with three separate keys in a very old house. It is on the 4th floor without elevator but with very steep stairways. And if you somehow loose your key you have no option to get back into your room until 8-9 in the morning when stuff finally comes to work. Also there is a lot of restrictions on silence during night hours and all you can do that will cost you more money. Yeah, the towels are not included and hot water occasionally just runs off... Stuff barely knows English and also barely wants to communicate with you rolling their eyes on you. Not the best place to feel your self at home in Lissbon. Definitely

only the location in the center

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

Book it only if you don't find anything else
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

WiFi was not working for most of the time Smell from the toilets always there Very Old building, without elevator for 4th Floor Checkout time at 11 AM , 1 hour before the usual 12 noon

Excellent Location Remains available even for last minute booking Rooms cleaned everyday

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Avoid
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

In 40 years of world travel this would be our worst experience.no lift and then told it is the 4 the floor a big effort for 75 y//o also 2 euro per towel and the lady manager was definately related to the wicked witch as of no help with any tours or general enquirers avoid like the plague

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

For one night it was ok but we wouldn't stay there for longer. Unfortunately it was not so clean.
    • Double Room with Balcony and Shower

The stairwell up to the 4th floor was quite unpleasant. The shower in our double room was broken and it was not so clean.

The location was pretty good and totally in the Center of Lisbon.

The view from the balcony was so great!
    • Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The view from the balcony was so great! We miss drinking Port there!

Very affordable and located centrally - very close to Baixa...
    • Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Noisy inside and noise form outside.

Very affordable and located centrally - very close to Baixa metro.

Great location, very nice and hospitable staff
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Bathroom drain kept emitting not so pleasant smells...

Great location, very nice and hospitable staff

Friendly staff, great location
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The room had a sink and bidet of which the pipes would rumble. Not ideal for light sleepers.

Friendly staff, great location

Location was perfect!
    • Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Location was perfect! The host went out of his way I make sure everything was perfect! I do recommend the stay

Bright room, great staff

Bright room, great staff

very enjoyable ,definately recommend it
    • Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

sheet rather two small for bed

very friendly welcome, lovely light room

The stay was ok, but if room was warm and a better shower and a lift in the property. Walking up 4 f

No heating in room . Room was always cold . Small heater was inaddiquate

Location if property

No staff on site, no guest services

No staff on site, no guest services

Vile, uninspiring, soulless
    • Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The rude staff, the cheap decor, the uncomfortable bed, the flies in the shower, the hidden charges

Leaving

It was expensive for what you got.
    • Double Room with Balcony and Shower

Six floors up, dragging suitcases. No cooking facilities, shared bath.

worse place I've ever stayed. and about 9 flights of stairs with no lift. and no toilet in room

The owner is very kind.

The owner is very kind.

I recommend it

Old building

Location, Price

Convenient location

5th floor, no elevator Very small and basic room

Convenient location

Fine for a short stay, appropriately priced for what you get, friendly staff
    • Double Room with Balcony and Shower

It is a nice place in the center of Lisbon located close to...
    • Double Room with Balcony and Shower

It is a nice place in the center of Lisbon located close to the subway and train stations.

Very dirty and old
    • Double Room with Balcony and Shower

Cockroaches in the room!Horrible!!!!!!

excellent location, value for money
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

no reception no fridge in the room four high floors up

Good location, clean, value for money.

• Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The bed was terrible and the room not good

Great communication with staff and also with administration...
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Great communication with staff and also with administration via a telephone conversion. Many thanks, Steve Stone

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

Enjoyed staying here, easy to reach all parts of the city, night life
    • Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Was a bit cold during the night

Really great location in the city centre

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

Ok
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Description of the road to get there

Simple but providing the necessary

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

not clean had flees in my room!

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

I loved this place

I liked everything

Location was awesome. The balcony was great, big bed, shower in room, nice friendly people, comfy and cozy home away from home

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

You have to climb 5 flights of steps to get up to the rooms.
    • Double Room with Balcony and Shower

You have to climb 5 flights of steps to get up to the rooms. Kitchen and bathrooms very old and not well maintained

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Location is very good.
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

There is no lift in the building.

Location is very good.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

Ok place....good for value

Shower not functioning well

Excellent location. Good value

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

It is really in the very centre of the city.
    • Double Room with Balcony and Shower

It is on the fourth floor and has a really bad smell in some rooms.

It is really in the very centre of the city.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2016

located in the heart of the city

it was dirty, moldy smell, the door of my room didn't close well, no heater, the towels had to be bought, the balcony's door wouldn't close well either. Bed was too small and the sheets didn't look clean. 4 stairs and no elevator. and it was all non refundable, and wifi not working and you could hear everything going on in the house. For the price one has to pay (154€ for 4 nights) it's preposterous. what gals me most of all is that the pictures on Booking don't reflect the reality.

located in the heart of the city

• Reviewed: 16 September 2015

Bed- narrow and short (Not for people taller than 165cm).

Bed- narrow and short (Not for people taller than 165cm). Balcony- small and dirty, impossible to sit there which could be a plus for that place. Half of the door to terrace didnt open. One bed lamp didn't work. Mold in the bathroom. Towels at additional 2€ ! no elevator. Very loud location. Avoid.

• Reviewed: 15 September 2015

Poor wifi signal in my room, most of te time didn't have any. My room was just beside the reception and the main entrance, so I could hear the receptionist talking and phone calling all the time (very loud) and the other gests geting in and out the hotel. My door didn't close properly so at the reception and the corridor they couls hear anytging that happened in my room. However, I think that the other rooms were less noisy and more discrete. Check in before 20:00h, if later you need to pay a fee per hour! Towels not included in the price

Location Spacious rooms with a small balcony

• Reviewed: 13 September 2015

Location was great although busy and loud specially at night.

I don't believe sheets are changed between guess. When I open my bed it has hair, very disgusting so I slept on top of the cover.

Location was great although busy and loud specially at night.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2015

when you didn't sleep one day, this place is perfect.

all was ok.

when you didn't sleep one day, this place is perfect. close to the city center. taxi from airport 12 euro. if u need a place where u can sleep one-two nights, it's a perfect place

• Reviewed: 29 July 2015

- Great location

- That you had to pay money for the towels - That you didn't have a blanket - The bed is not really comfortable - The shower was really small( i am 1.72 and i was too tall for the shower) - The internet only worked in the living room area or entrance. - Difficult to find - No lift. Not ideal for people with a lot of luggage or that are physically handicapped.

- Great location - Great for budget travelers - Everything was clean - The living room/kitchen area was nice

• Reviewed: 14 July 2015

Very good location in the old town, nice view over the...

There was a water damage in the bathroom that flooded everything. Fortunately they fixed it the next day. The woman at the reception didn't speak Portuguese! The four floors were already mentioned.

Very good location in the old town, nice view over the streets

• Reviewed: 14 July 2015

Really close to the city center/public transport

The shower had no light, it was dark everywhere. I couldn't lock my door. The linen was dirty. ..

Really close to the city center/public transport

• Reviewed: 10 July 2015

The best at that hotel is its location.

The room was way too small- even the bed. Bigger people won't enjoy it! Our bed sheets were not changed once! And the towels we had to pay extra.. Even though the hotel isn't that cheap, was was that not included?! The shared bathroom is a katastrophe- for women at least: it was so small and dirty, probably the smallest shower in the world! The mens shower was okey, old but spacious.. The hotel is at level 4 of the building- be prepared to be exhausted when u arrive. The bathroom in rooms must be better i guess.

The best at that hotel is its location. Although in middle of the city, it was quiet.

• Reviewed: 18 June 2015

Ar the centre of the city - you can reach metro, train,...

No air conditioning, no elevator (4th floor), no TV in room. Didn't miss any of theese, but it may be usefull info for others.

Ar the centre of the city - you can reach metro, train, shops, a lot of sights on foot. Nice staff, ready to help, know their job well. Everything is clean and working fluently. Nice balcony with table and chairs. Very good price.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2015

I've slept in some down-at-heel places in my time and am not a fussy traveller by any stretch, but this place is so bad that I stayed only long enough to use the (weak) wifi to book a different hotel. Musty, damp, mouldy smell in my room made it impossible to sleep there. Uninhabitable.

• Reviewed: 30 May 2015

Something made my face swell up for 2 days and gave me brething difficulties. I had to sleep on sofa out of room Never happened before. Possibly dust, window was broken and construction outside. Asked for full refund and told to send email but no reply yet :(

• Reviewed: 19 May 2015

Location is good but the building should be torn down.

Dark climb up smelly 4 floor stairwell, bed was lumpy and hard, WiFi only in common room, costly fee charged for arriving after 2000, towell fee, coffin-sized shower. On first arrival must be buzzed past front door, if the grumpy attendent is present. Price should be cut in half. Only the none-refund policy kept me from leaving early.

Location is good but the building should be torn down.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2015

10 meters from the exit to the left to the center and the...

10 meters from the exit to the left to the center and the most beautiful streets of Lisbon Rua Augusta - one channel savers EuroNevs overlooking the Arc de Triomphe. A pleasant combination of old traditional Portuguese furniture and modern comfort - a bathroom with transparent glass doors and shower with FM radio. High 4th floor without a lift, but wide staircase.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2015

localisation right next to metro station and practically...

only one shared bathroom if you have a room without private bathroom! One for men and one for women - definitely not enough! Fourth floor without a lift - very hard to get your luggage in, those floors are huge

localisation right next to metro station and practically everything in the city centre; ok price; clean and tidy

• Reviewed: 10 April 2015

Despite the room having a shower, you have to pay €2 per person for towels. Hotel charged my credit card with two additional amounts, once immediately after booking and the other 3 weeks after my stay and then refunded each no explanation given. Booking.com found out that my credit card had mistakenly "been attached to another reservation" at the hotel.

• Reviewed: 5 April 2015

The location is fantastic!

Very difficult to find it, the bell wasn't working so sat down in front of the door in desperation at 10pm! A guest allowed me in by chance and I took my heavy suitcase up to the 4th floor on my own (more like 8 floors really!) Was charged for a single room, when I was given a tiny room with a bunk bed, a bad mattress and smelly sheets. The room had not been dusted for ages!

The location is fantastic! Would have loved to say more good things about it but my stay was not pleasant at all!

There are also 28 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.