Reviews of Cottons Hotel and Spa - A Thwaites Hotel and Spa 4 stars

Manchester Road, Knutsford, WA16 0SU, United Kingdom

#8 of 16 hotels in Knutsford

See the above

Not a lot. Glass of wine £9.50. Filled in a form for 3 year old grandson to get milk and cookies before bed. Did they arrive NO. Ivan you need to get out of that hotel. DON’t go here! The park was lovely and April’s Diner a treat. Don’t book this hotel!

• Superior Family Room

Clean, plenty of parking, lovely pool and spa facilities ... outside and inside Can order cookies and milk for the kids to be delivered at bed time ( our kids too old but nice touch) Great location to take bikes and explore

Room was a bit dark and antiquated.

The perks of spa enter included. Most resorts of this type make restrictions of further cost. The spa area is well equipped and modern. The weight room well equipped. Breakfast buffet nice variety.

• Superior Family Room

Check in delayed People putting towels on sun beds and leaving them for long periods

We couldn’t check in at 2 at suggested but were directed to the spa !

• Superior Family Room

Even though Check in is at 2pm we had to wait an additional 20mins as our room was not ready. We travelled 3 hrs to get to the hotel with 2 kids under 5 so it was inconvenient to wait even if just for 20mins. And we not offered a complimentary drink whilst we waited. The bathroom was not cleaned properly. There was a section which was full of dust and evident that it had not been touched in a while. The sofa bed was extremely uncomfortable.

Good selection of breakfast items. Hot breakfast was cooked nicely. The juice and snacks for the kids in the room was a nice touch.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was a little disappointing.

I was initially checked into a ground floor room which was horribly dark with a dreadful aspect looking out onto an extension of the building. I immediately asked to be moved and was given an upgrade to a lovely corner junior suite with a dual aspect. Excellent staff.

• Superior Family Room

There was building work going on which started early morning and throughout the day. Never informed, as we would have stayed elsewhere, due to this being booked for a relaxing couple of days. Room service took 2 Hrs to arrive for a couple of Pizzas(Order had been forgotten) and when it finally got to the room was cold and under cooked. Rooms are looking a bit tired, which probably explains the building works going on.

We had no coffee/tea making facilities. For the price the bathroom was a little dated. The extra price for early check in was far too much. A room to store luggage and changing room would have been covinient.

Very clean and staff were pleasant. Breakfast was lovely. However I do feel that should have been included in the price.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The outdoor hot tub wasn’t working when we stayed. This made us sad.

Have always loved this place, since we got married there. Love everything about it.

• Superior Family Room

There was mould in the bathroom and there was no hand soap. The bathroom door did not lock properly

The staff was very friendly and very helpful and polite

Leisure Club needs extra staff to keep the area by pool clean, lots of dirty cups and glasses left at tables after people left

Food in restaurant was very good, room was nice although bed was small should be king size bed in superior room

Although breakfast staff were extremely helpful, cooked food was only lukewarm , mushrooms soggy and bacon dried up

The comfort was as you'd expect of a 4 star hotel, although the rooms were not very large and the ceilings particularly in the corridor rather low.

Slow service in restaurant although the food was nice

Unfortunately the pool was being refurbished so we were unable to use it . The other spa facilities were excellent.

• Superior Family Room

I arrived and two hen parties were present, I pacifically asked the receptionist could we please not have a room near the parties due to me having young children, didn't listen to my request and we had to move at 7.30 at night due to loudness. Spa and Leisure Facilities were excellent. Massage was excellent

I felt that the breakfast facility could be improved. There was no butter on the table and the early morning staff were not over welcoming.

The bed was comfortable. The room service was excellent.

The staff were all (except one young Asian lady in the bar) unbelievably miserable; nobody smiled; nobody replied to 'Good Morning' astonishing!

Superbly equipped hotel with luxurious bedrooms, nice food and convenient location.

Better service Cleaner room

There were silver fish on the bathroom floor. The service at dinner was poor, it was slow, the order was inaccurate and the Gin was made out that if we didn't buy a gin the staff member did not win their award as this was their incentive -to sell as many gins. This was reported to the person on the desk. My friend received £15 when she checked out for this and I checked out separately and was just apologized to.

The service from the staff in the breakfast area both days was very poor. They try to close the breakfast at 09.30 which seems a bit early and the staff seemed impatient for us to leave and therefore did not treat us very well. The actual quality of the breakfast food is good.

Excellent hotel, great location. Very clean and well appointed room. Excellent spa and gym. Nice food, good bar and very friendly check in, cleaners, gym and bar staff.

• Superior Family Room

Breakfast food could have been hotter

Friendly staff, good breakfast (breakfast food could have been hotter) spacious rooms and near to our destination - Knutsford town centre

Very expensive food and drinks. Bedroom needed to be dusted and vacuumed. Thick dust in bedroom and bathroom.

Made very welcome by checkin staff. Great aircon in room. Good size tv with satisfactory number of channels. Room nice and quiet away from bars and restaurant. Great shower with bath.

The staff didn't have a cot for our baby, this is standard for hotels, and we did ask for it in the booking. They didn't have any left. We ended asking for a mattress on the floor which we padded with pillows, but not ideal. When we entered the room we smelled chlorine and a stale smell coming from the bathroom. We expected fresh smells. We didn't ask to change the room because we were too tired. At breakfast, their was a hair in my mushrooms. Also the server who is serving baked beans - I could see that when we served baked beans he would slightly touch the bacon and meat with his serving spoon. This is horrible for vegetarians and those who don't eat pork, and want proper separation. For an expensive hotel, it doesnt instill confidence that the veggie food is really veggie. For £13 you expect really clean food, professional breakfast server and maybe two servers, one for veggie and one for meat. I usually like this hotel, but smell, and hygiene are being let down.

I liked the double bed and linen, I like the pool I like the design of the rooms and corridors. The staff tried to help even though it was a busy time. The variety of breakfast food is good.

• Superior Family Room

The Spa was being refurbished, however we knew this before travelling.

Decent size room, excellent location for travelling in the NW, lovely breakfasts day an all round top class hotel.

• Superior Family Room

The only frustration was that the fact that we were traveling with our 2 children wasn't known by the hotel. The receptionist explained that this was because Booking.com hadn't passed on the information. Whether this is accurate or not, I'll probably ring ahead in future to check all booking information had been passed on.

The photos online don't really do this place justice. Despite the improvement works to the spa facilities (which we knew about), the pool was great for the kids. The room was comfortable and the place had a great atmosphere. The food was good too and accommodating of our rowdy boys!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was cold the staff where rude and I had to wait to be served 8 mins to which I started to help my self I’m the end has I thought maybe it was self serve then was rudely told he ya pal you can’t help ya self you have to wait until we are ready to serve you I replied “ I’ve waited ten minutes already “ the reply was that’s how it is I also sent an e mail asking specifically I wanted a double room with a double bed room 216. Was a twin room Ime and my wife woke up with our backs aching has we both have back problems which is why I asked for a double bed and at £152 you would have thought that could be accommodated

the outside

Whole Spa was closed with no notice before booking. Tea and Coffee was empty when we got to our room They charged me £10 fee to set up a tab at the bar!!

Sauna and steam room closed but not notified of this room was cold as heating not working I formed a heater would be provided but didn’t arrive , food in the restaurant was poor bread for starter was stale and home made chips rock hard .

Beds very comfortable and breakfast very nice

• Superior Twin Room

Couldn’t get in the restaurant as a last minute booking.

The lay out of the rooms the cleanliness. There was an argument in the room next door to us which was sorted Booking dot com gave wrong info re breakfast included and it wasn’t.

• Superior Family Room

Staff need a customer service course , pool needs reassessing regarding health and safety. Overall cleanliness and friendliness of hotel very poor

Staff need a customer service course, pool needs reassessing regarding health and safety . Overall cleanliness of hotel poor

• Superior Family Room

The food overall was quite expensive. However, the quality was very good so I won't complain too much.

The kids absolutley loved the pool. My oldest son gave the hotel 5/5, the food 4/5 an the room 5/5. The breakfast was really good.

The air conditioning did not work and the room was extremely hot. The window had restricted opening. The cold tap in the bathroom did not work. There was no answer when telephoning reception. People were knocking on doors throughout the night so it was loud enough to wake us.

Bed was comfortable

Bathroom was very old fashioned with lukewarm shower over a narrow bath with shower curtain that sticks to your legs. No kettle - had to work out how to make tea from coffee machine. Breakfast was £15 each and coffee from machine was barely warm and undrinkable. Food was fine.

Room size was nice and spacious.

I stayed at this property the evening before my wedding. The staff were wonderful and couldn’t do enough for you. We ate at the hotel restaurant and the food was excellent as was the service. The rooms were large enough for my bridal party (8 people) to get ready in comfortably (we stayed in a junior suit). Unfortunately on the morning of my wedding the car I had booked did not turn up, but while I was panicking he cottons organised to take us to the venue in their mini bus. They were my knights in shining armour and I cannot thank them enough!

• Superior Family Room

Room not ready on check-in. Quoted a lower price for breakfast. Still charged the higher price at check out and couldn't be bothered to argue.

Spa facilities.

Bath linen was worn out. Soaps weren't replaced. Cramped room. Layout of breakfast room was poor with other guests intruding on your space. Wild and aggressive behaviour from wedding guests ruined our stay.

The food although lovely was a little overpriced, brrakfast alone was £15 each? All we had was a hot chocolate and a bowl of cereal..

The spa was gorgeous the main reason we went

• Superior Family Room

In general it was a good stay - facilities and food all good but had an unpleasant shock at check out as a huge amount of food and drink had been added to our bill that we hadn’t ordered. The reception staff were good at dealing with it and pulled up the original receipts to find only one (the one we told them about) had been signed by us, the rest were blank and added to our bill in error. Disappointing to find this at the end of the stay but it was dealt with in the end by polite reception staff.

Good facilities, polite staff, good food and drink. Really nice touches for kids and I didn’t even have to ask for a baby cot, it was all set up when we arrived and a cute little robe for older child too. Milk and cookies and snacks provided for kids.

Nothing....alll great.

It is a perfect location and a short taxi ride to Knutsford with some fantastic restaurants, I always stay here when I am working near this location my first choice, nice comfortable rooms and the staff are greart.

would of had more treatments if there was a deal on or something, also was Abit disappointed that i had a package that added a bottle of wine for your room but it turned up 5 minutes before check out

staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the spa was excellent and treatments were nice (bit expensive for how long you get but good) clean, tidy, food was lovely

Pool very busy and full of kids. Obviously open to non residents. Hotel is very pricey for what it is. Food and drink also expensive. Rooms booked via bookings.com do not include breakfast, which again is expensive for what you get. Rooms are very warm with little ventilation.

Nice place. Good location. Clean rooms. Friendly staff.

Breakfast included would have been good

We only stayed one evening but all the staff at Reception, spa and cleaning staff encountered offered a warm welcom. Reception even sorted a taxi for NY Eve when I hadn’t been able to in advance.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room allocated first was cold and scruffy. Next room had a stained sheet on the bed. General cleanliness was poor. Nowhere to sit for a quiet drink. Bar noisy and full of children. Trouble with supply of malt whisky.

Breakfast was not included and was £15 per person which I think is very expensive. There was a lovely selection of food but even though it was expensive the cooked breakfast was barely warm

The place was lovely and the room was nice

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We booked a family dinner and my son ordered the smoked salmon starter. He has a nut allergy and is careful when ordering. There was no mention of nuts in the ingredients but unfortunately it contained pine nuts and he had a reaction. We were pointed to a small print disclaimer. Not good enough for a large hotel chain. Nut allergies can be fatal.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

As stated. The second meal we had was poor. All plates had to be sent back. I know there was a couple of wedding parties on but quite frankly if you cant handle the numbers, be honest, and we could all have gone into Knutsford. I was given a discount and was not charged for the meals. Not really what you want on a Saturday night with your friends. Good breakfast though....just as well!

The room was spacious, clean, warm (It was pretty cold out there) and comfortable. Good amount of hangers in the large wardrobe plus the addition of the hotel supplying bath robes for convenience and the spar. I have to say that I did not get to the spar but the bar is large, loads of areas to sit and feel you are not overlooked or heard. Excellent bar staff with a good memory for the rounds of drinks. The restaurant was average and if you like your vegetables they will put up the price of your meal by a lot as they are charged as an extra.....bit naughty really. Having said that, the steak I had on the first night was cooked superbly and it came with chips and a mushroom and half a tomato. The hotel is really close to the delights of Knutsford and Tatton Park. At this time of year (Nov) it is a picture. Breakfast is great. Buffet and cooked plus special requests......good start to the day

• Superior Family Room

Heating in the room was complicated and had to phone down for someone to come up and adjust and instruct, I told them they should have a instruction leaflet in the room

All was good

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Loved the fact the bar area was lovely and warm. Cosy on a cold day. Also loved the fact the hotel bar sold a Gin Board - lovely touch and very enjoyable!!! Staff were all polite and helpful and our room was excellent for the money although I thought the breakfast was a little pricey for £13 a head.

• Superior Family Room

response when we completed the milk and cookies form for the kids and nothing arrived and when i asked at reception for extra pillows i had to go back and ask again 30 mins later as none had arrived

pool and breakfast

Spa- paid £45 each for my partner and I to have a pampered afternoon with a relaxing massage, both treatments didn’t reach standards for price also only lasted 20mins in total, was unaware of treatment time. Breakfast- Waited to be seated for the breakfast we were looking forwards to, the lady asked us to take a seat in lobby area as there weren’t any tables available at time... but we could see availability 😂sat down for a while to find out we were forgotten about... woops! As we were finally seated the breakfast was nearly over and we didn’t have the basics such as sugar & milk on the table.. woops again! Food was ok but unfortunately the service was poor on that day.

Rooms were nice and cosy as for rest of hotel.

This is a very overpriced hotel. Our room was small and poky with an attic window ( so no view and not much light) yet cost £150 WITHOUT breakfast. Am used to being in a range of hotels. Our room was worth £80 for room only. Chose to stay there because we were attending a wedding but felt "ripped off" by the non value for money. Would not revisit.

Staff were friendly.

• Superior Family Room

Nothing - staff- rooms- meals and facilities superior.

We have stayed at the Cottons Hotel on numerous occasions. The facilities are super and the staff extremely friendly and helpful at all times. Food excellent, enjoyed every meal we have eaten. One member of our family thinks it the best breakfast they have ever eaten.

Clean, spacious, great facilities and friendly staff. Couldn't fault anything. Spa facilities also great and lovely massage. Would definitely return.

Minor point.Front desk could have given me more information for instance what time dinner and breakfast was served at,the Spa opening times,check out time, etc. I couldn't get comfortable on the bed for some reason,too firm a mattress for me maybe.

The restaurant food and service was excellent .Some rooms are a little dated now but still well maintained and clean.Beds are huge and the rooms well sound proofed for a good sleep.The excellent service was the lasting memory.Nothing was too much trouble.

Sunday night, limited menu and the Languini was more like spaghetti. Food quality and slightly "off" service spoiled an otherwise high-end experience

paid £135 for one night stay only to find it did not include breakfast. Had to pay another £26 for breakfast, total of £161 for one night. value for money i think not.

We booked a Jnr suite and the decor was dated in the living area and the bathroom. Had this have been modern, the hotel would have got top marks

The staff were superb. Very helpful and very friendly

Very expensive room for one night only.

The bed was superbly comfortable and I would like to know the make so I can buy one the same. The milk in the fridge was off and spoilt the coffee which I had made

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Lots of items were not restocked for breakfast. E.g. No bread for toast, no pastry items left. People standing smoking as you enter the hotel lobby.

Leisure facilities good. Room clean and good tea/coffee/milk and also robes availablez

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The noise!!! If you have come for a party , wedding etc fine if your with your friends but as a guest not attached to any of the above I would not recommend being anywhere on the ground floor within the first 6 rooms You can here the music from the venue. You can't just close the hotel room doors , they bang. So if it's party night you can here doors banging continuously!

i had a cooked breakfast two of the days I was staying at the hotel and one day was far better than the next.the service in the bar was good. Couldn't do enough for me and made me feel very welcome. The spa facilities were good although a little grubby. I.e. Sun loungers a little worn . Staff were helpful.

I booked 3 rooms - 1 for friends 1 for us and 1 for our son and their son to share. We all paid the same but our room had not been renovated and smelt musty/damp (room 332) I was not happy that whilst i had done all of the organisation we got the worst room out of 3 with the other 2 rooms having had a refurb and with bigger TV's! This is the 3rd time we have stayed at this hotel and whilst i fully appreciate you need to make a profit and take all the business you can, this hotel is becoming a Wedding Hotel- we felt we were gate crashing this weekend as there were about 3/4 weddings. This is understandable , but perhaps worth noting that other guests who are not attending the wedding cant enjoy it as a calm leisurely experience when so much activity is going on.

Terrible lightening in the room Reception staff rude Ridiculous room service charge Room service over 40 minutes when states 10 Breakfast service disfunctional No tables set for service Self service buffet in hotel Burnt breakfast Staff untrained Inexperienced staff and manager

The bed was comfortable

• Superior Family Room

The check-in was slow, many people waiting. We clearly booked a "family room" via Booking.com but on the hotel system it was just a double room. Lucky the manager changed us to a bigger room (with a zip bed for my child) after I showed the proof of booking.

The swimming pool was amazing. Much bigger than an average hotel pool, and very quiet and clean.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

One receptionist in particular was really friendly attentive and interested in helping us with recommendations for meals out and bars to visit. We joined in with aqua aerobics and went for a swim and lazed around chatting on the loungers. We felt so relaxed. We will be back with more ladies for a girly weekend!

Poor sound proofing you could clearly hear conversations between rooms. Ensuite divider between bedroom was frosted glass with a gap so no privacy. The shower door was also glass and on rollers so made lots of noise. The entrance door to the room was very loud on closing. The room was smaller than other Thwaiites rooms -surely a superior room should be better than a standard room at another Thwaites hotel. The spa could have longer opening hours. The description does not disclose that this hotel is on the flight path for Manchester airport.

Friendly staff, parking

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Absolutely everything was great, but one staff member named India from the restaurant was very rude to myself and my friends. Wasn't polite at all and when in a restaurant when spending money this is not what you expect. There was also food out (like a buffet) I seen people getting food from there so went over to this lady and she explained this (however clearly not well) because I then went over grabbed a plate and got some to where she rushed over and said this is not a help yourself in a rude way. After that she was just rude all the time throughout the meal, feeling tense and awkward throughout a meal is not what you want at all, you want to be relaxed?? However (massive however) I do not want this to shine over the great stay we had and other great, welcoming staff one bit. This would not put me off coming at all, I cant wait to get back!!!

The hotel was so much nicer than the pictures, I personally believe the pictures don't do it justice at all. Big soft robes in the bedroom which was a nice touch. Very clean and well presented rooms, very in date. Lovely garden area on the front of the seating area, unfortunately was poring down with rain so couldn't enjoy that side of it but in summer can imagine its a great little spot outside the fountain area. The Spa is absolutely great and very clean. Very relaxing. Spa has all to offer from a gym, outdoor Jacuzzi to a swimming pool and indoor Jacuzzi. Plenty of lounges to relax on around the pool. The staff at the spa were very polite and willing to help, soon as arrived at the spa reception huge smile on face with towels and a key for locker. Again, changing rooms very clean. I loved how the check out was @ 12:00 and I loved how the staff made you aware that you could stay as long as you want in restaurant and spa. Very good customer service. I Will most definitely be returning, its a great place and I have already recommended this to plenty of people.

Strange little window for the room. Staff in restaurant started well but disappeared before we got our coffee. We had to chase them into a back room for that! They said they were having a 'hand over meeting'

See above

The room was clean and comfortable but our room wasn't ready until after 4pm which meant we couldn't enjoy the spa that day like we had planned and only had an hour in there the following morning so we didn't cause anyone else to have to wait most of the day for their room!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We didn't like anything about this hotel or the staff would never go back or recommend it

Nothing the staff were unhelpful the room was grubby and in need of updating

• Superior Family Room

i called the room services and asked the reciption for a taxi, the recieptionest got me a horrible taxi driver who treated me in a bad way (dropped me in the middle of nowhere and put me on a real dangerious sitution) When i went back to the hotel and told them the story, the reciptiinest guy has told me that they are not responsible for the taxi drivers that they get for me! And even he told me that he will not bother removing him from the list that they normally call although this taxi driver has a bad history with many customers.

Food, the general atmosphere

Garden to sit out in. Outdoor sitting space good but limited to front of hotel near car park and main road

The hotel was lovely, food great , spa super but best of all was the staff. Everyone friendly, helpful and eager to help

• Superior Family Room

Was allocated a room with a step seperating bed from sofa however having a 22 month old this made me very nervous throughout our stay as she kept falling down it. Read reviews that kids got milk and cookies at bed time and VIP bath robes but we never got any of these.

Good size room. Staff happy to help. Swimming pool a good size with kids section.

• Superior Family Room

The receptionist wasn't very helpful when we wanted to leave bags to be taken to room! The shower leaked and was dripping all night

The breakfast was lovely

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The meal was not good but expensive they gave us a free drink to compensate but not happy the mirror in the room was dirty and the bathroom needs to be refurbished

two of us in the double room but only one set of towels. it was remedied when pointed out however i was stuck with a wet towel on our first night.

the excellent staff

Nothing not to like !

Superb staff, friendly, professional and always looking to help. We arrived late evening after the restaurant had closed and our bar staff made sure we could eat, nothing was too much trouble.

I was expecting the suite to be bigger. But was a lovely room nether the less. Next time i stay, i will use the tv in the bath.

Everything was perfect, in every way.The staff, the service, the food,the facilities of the hotel and the room (junior suite 258). I had vip treatment throughout. I cannot reccommend this place enough. I will return.