The Wood Norton
Worcester Road, Evesham, WR11 4YB, United Kingdom – Great location - show map
The Wood Norton was built in 1897 by exiled French Royalty and was the host of Royal Wedding in 1907 between the Duc D'Orleans sister Princess Louise and and Prince Charles of Bourbon. The chapel at Wood Norton was too small for the wedding and another chapel was erected on the lawn. This had not been consecrated so at the last minute the civil wedding had to be held in a corrugated hut down Avon Street, Evesham. The main ceremony was then held at Wood Norton. In 1939 the BBC bought the site so it could relocate its operations away from London in the event of hostilities. A dozen studios were quickly erected and by 1940 Wood Norton was one of the largest broadcasting centres in Europe with an average output of 1,300 programmes a week. It was home of the BBC’s Monitoring Service until 1943, when monitoring moved to Reading. The move was made to release space so Wood Norton could become the BBC’s main broadcasting centre should London have to be evacuated. In 1940 a fire destroyed the top story of the Hall. It is unknown what started the fire but it was thought to be sunlight shining through a skylight that ignited insulation packing in the roof
The Wood Norton takes special requests – add in the next step!
Area Info – Great location - show map
- Bidford Grange Golf Club 6 miles
- Ragley Hall 6.3 miles
- Weston Park 8.4 miles
- Strensham Services M5 8.6 miles
- Broadway Tower 9 miles
- Coughton Court 9.4 miles
- Hidcote Manor Garden 9.9 miles
- Worcestershire Royal Hospital 9.9 miles
- Herefordshire & Worcestershire Chamber of Commerce 11.2 miles
- Stratford-upon-Avon Racecourse 11.3 miles
Most Popular Landmarks
- Anne Hathaways Cottage 11.5 miles
- Worcestershire County Cricket Club 11.6 miles
- Worcester City Council 11.7 miles
- Worcester Library - The Hive 11.7 miles
- Worcester Business School 11.7 miles
- Stratford upon Avon College 12 miles
- Sudeley Castle 12.1 miles
- Stratford-upon-Avon Train Station 12.1 miles
- Mary Ardens House 12.2 miles
- Royal Shakespeare Company 12.4 miles
- Birmingham Airport 25.1 miles
- East Midlands Airport 56.2 miles
- Bristol Airport 59.7 miles
What would you like to know?No thanks
Thank you for your time
Your feedback will help us improve this feature for all of our customersClose
We're sorry, but there was an error submitting your comment. Please try again.Retry
5 Reasons to Choose The Wood Norton
Prices you can't beat!
Manage your bookings online
The staff speaks English
Booking is safe
Pets are not allowed.
- Pool Table
- Game Room
- Fishing (additional charge)
- Golf Course (within 2 miles) (additional charge)
Food & Drink
- Kids' Meals
- Special Diet Meals (upon request)
- Restaurant With Dining Menu
- Breakfast in the Room
Free! WiFi is available in all areas and is free of charge.
Free! Free private parking is available on site (reservation is not needed).
- Shared Lounge/TV Area
- Baggage Storage
- Fax/Photocopying (additional charge)
- Express Check-in/Check-out
- Honeymoon Suite
- 24-Hour Front Desk
- Meeting/Banquet Facilities (additional charge)
- All Spaces Non-Smoking (public and private)
- Facilities for Disabled Guests
- Non-Smoking Rooms
- Newspapers (additional charge)
What topic(s) do you want to know more about?
Thanks for your help!
Your opinion helps us figure out what kinds of info we should ask properties for.Back to property
Whoops! It looks like something went wrong submitting this. Try again?Retry
From 3:00 PM
Until 11:00 AM
Cancellation and prepayment policies vary according to room type. Please enter the dates of your stay and check what conditions apply to your preferred room.
Children and Extra Beds
All children are welcome.
All children under 12 years stay free of charge when using existing beds.
All children under 2 years stay free of charge in a crib.
All older children or adults are charged GBP 20 per person per night for extra beds.
The maximum number of extra beds/cribs in a room is 1.
Any type of extra bed or crib is upon request and needs to be confirmed by management.
Additional fees are not calculated automatically in the total cost and will have to be paid for separately during your stay.
Pets are not allowed.
When booking more than 5 rooms, different policies and additional supplements may apply.
Cards accepted at this property
Hover over the cards for more info.